Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 03-08-2024, 03:05 PM

Default Off-road motorcycling

I grew up racing off-road/motocross bikes from about 9-18 years of age, then got back into them in my late 20's for a few years until I got married and had a family. My last two bikes were a Husaberg FC600 and a Suzuki RM 250 two stroke which were a blast to ride, but it was usually flat out over jumps and whoops, bouncing off of logs and rocks and usually beat up and played out by the end of the day. Last month I rented a little Honda XR150l when I was in Panama and was surprised how capable it was for puttering down the back roads and trails actually enjoying the scenery. And this was with my wife riding behind me.

I'm seriously looking to get back into off-road riding again after about a 19 year hiatus and was looking at some of the more competition oriented enduro bikes, but after renting that smaller bike in Panama have started looking at bikes that are a little bit more tame. I haven't ruled out a 250-450cc Enduro bike, but am starting to lean more towards a dual-purpose in the 250cc class, or maybe an older DRZ400 since I'm about 6'1 and 225-230lbs.

Have many other riders done this transformation from mx/enduro bikes to more trail oriented motorcycles as they've gotten older, and did they have any regrets?
Old 03-08-2024, 03:19 PM

No regrets.

P6270019 by , on Flickr
Old 03-08-2024, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HVA7mm View Post
I grew up racing off-road/motocross bikes from about 9-18 years of age, then got back into them in my late 20's for a few years until I got married and had a family. My last two bikes were a Husaberg FC600 and a Suzuki RM 250 two stroke which were a blast to ride, but it was usually flat out over jumps and whoops, bouncing off of logs and rocks and usually beat up and played out by the end of the day. Last month I rented a little Honda XR150l when I was in Panama and was surprised how capable it was for puttering down the back roads and trails actually enjoying the scenery. And this was with my wife riding behind me.

I'm seriously looking to get back into off-road riding again after about a 19 year hiatus and was looking at some of the more competition oriented enduro bikes, but after renting that smaller bike in Panama have started looking at bikes that are a little bit more tame. I haven't ruled out a 250-450cc Enduro bike, but am starting to lean more towards a dual-purpose in the 250cc class, or maybe an older DRZ400 since I'm about 6'1 and 225-230lbs.

Have many other riders done this transformation from mx/enduro bikes to more trail oriented motorcycles as they've gotten older, and did they have any regrets?
I sold off my GS800 last year as it just wasn't getting the use it used too, but with the sun starting to warm things up I'm starting to feel the itch again. Someone pointed me towards the honda CRF300L and I have to admit it's pretty tempting..... The last couple of seasons on the BMW I spent much more time on really rough logging roads than asphalt and that little 300 seems like it fit the bill nicely for that purpose.
Old 03-08-2024, 04:47 PM

I picked up a KTM 950 adventure last fall , it’s not near the size you want but I plan to hit some trails. The thing for me is that I have at least 1 hour highway to get to the bush. And I want to take some gear for camping. I can’t wait for spring
Old 03-08-2024, 05:03 PM

It depends a lot on your idea of off road. I have ridden a few of the newer adventure bikes in the 500-800cc range, and they are nice for dirt roads and pastures, but they are far too heavy to toss around like my WR450. So decide where you will ride, and if you need a street legal bike.
Old 03-08-2024, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
It depends a lot on your idea of off road. I have ridden a few of the newer adventure bikes in the 500-800cc range, and they are nice for dirt roads and pastures, but they are far too heavy to toss around like my WR450. So decide where you will ride, and if you need a street legal bike.
Pick the right bike and most importantly, learn to ride it (very different from riding a dirt bike) and they are capable of plenty. Like you mentioned, you cant "toss them around", you need to be more smooth, and more committed. Keeping the bike moving and reving high enough that it stays upright is essential, because if you're ever relying on your feet you will go down.

I rode my KLR everywhere, was going to make more videos but just found that U-tubing wasnt my thing.

https://youtu.be/kYfgx9QaYTY?si=7tkagYCuu477u40u
Old 03-08-2024, 06:59 PM

I’ve got a crf 230f that’s a nice little bike. I had a drz400 for a while as well. But wanted a bit bigger bike for camping trips and better highway manners so got a v strong 650. The 230 is a great little trail bike though. A buddy just bought the newer 250f that’s fuel injected. Haven’t tried it yet but I’m sure it’ll be a great little unit as well.
Old 03-08-2024, 07:08 PM

If you like smaller bikes like that 175 have a look at the yamaha TW 200
Its street legal and is really good off road .
Old 03-08-2024, 07:11 PM

Can buy a brand new klr 650 for 8 grand.
Old 03-08-2024, 07:15 PM

Always regret selling, 2015 KTM EXCF 350. Electric Start, 200lbs, street legal but very off road capable, never should have sold it. More recently my Dads old friend sold me a 1997 Yamaha XT350. Also street legal, but the kick start was tough on my old knees. Again..... sold and regretted instantly.
Old 03-08-2024, 07:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushleague View Post
Pick the right bike and most importantly, learn to ride it (very different from riding a dirt bike) and they are capable of plenty. Like you mentioned, you cant "toss them around", you need to be more smooth, and more committed. Keeping the bike moving and reving high enough that it stays upright is essential, because if you're ever relying on your feet you will go down.

I rode my KLR everywhere, was going to make more
videos but just found that U-tubing wasnt my thing.

https://youtu.be/kYfgx9QaYTY?<br /> ...kagYCuu477u40u
I raced motocross, rode dirt bikes long distance, and I have ridden performance street bikes, and toured long distances, so I have ridden several different kinds of bikes, and seen the advantages and disadvantages of each. It all comes down to choosing what works best for each persons application.
Old 03-08-2024, 07:18 PM

For me it'll likely be 80% off-road/single track and maybe 20% logging roads/gravel roads. I'll be hauling the bike to and from location and doing day rides only, so won't be looking at the larger adventure/adventure touring bikes and will have no need for panniers or other luggage. I've ridden my buddies' F800 and Vstrom-1000's, but they're not really my thing. I've got friends with houses in Nordegg and Sun Peaks areas that have gotten back into bikes, so those are likely the areas that I'll be heading to.

I'm still on the fence about whether to go with full lighting, or just a headlight/tail light. I've been looking at used CRF-X and WR-F 250 and 450's as well as KLX250/300-s/CRF250/300-l/WR250-r dual purpose. I also haven't ruled out old school DRZ400E, KDX220's or KTM300 2-smokers, although I'll likely end up with a 4-stroke. The last bike that I threw my leg over was a KTM 350 EXC-f last summer and it was a nice bike.
Old 03-08-2024, 07:19 PM

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 03-08-2024, 07:26 PM

Quote:
I raced motocross, rode dirt bikes long distance, and I have ridden performance street bikes, and toured long distances, so I have ridden several different kinds of bikes, and seen the advantages and disadvantages of each. It all comes down to choosing what works best for each persons application.
X2, I would just like to point out that many of us have owned a plethora of different motorcycles, its not exactly uncommon. The skills you pick up from other forms of motorcycling arent terribly applicable to piloting a bigger displacement bike through challenging terrain IMO. At least in my experience, doing actual off roading on a big bike is sort of its own thing.

The standby's for the type of riding that the OP proposes are the WR250R, and the old DRZ400. The problem with those bikes is that they might need a fair bit of modification to do what he wants, in the form of tank, seat, guarding, and probably some suspension upgrades depending on his weight.

Thats why I picked up the KLR, all it really needed was pegs and guarding. As for the suspension, shim the front springs and just realize its a 400lb bike. I did put a $2000 suspension in it eventually, delusionally believing that if I spent enough money I could get it to skip whoops like a dirt bike, but when I shot that video the suspension was stock.

This was her by the end, I cant even remember all the upgrades I'd done by that point. The best one is probably that angle iron bracket for the rear signal lights, allowing me to use generic trailer marker lights... that will save you some money for sure.

DSCF1420 by , on Flickr

Last edited by Bushleague; 03-08-2024 at 07:53 PM.
Old 03-08-2024, 07:56 PM

Quote:
Any bike is capable of being street legal as long as you tell your insurance company it is...lol
Old 03-08-2024, 08:08 PM

Quote:
X2, I would just like to point out that many of us have owned a plethora of different motorcycles, its not exactly uncommon. The skills you pick up from other forms of motorcycling arent terribly applicable to piloting a bigger displacement bike through challenging terrain IMO. At least in my experience, doing actual off roading on a big bike is sort of its own thing.

The standby's for the type of riding that the OP proposes are the WR250R, and the old DRZ400. The problem with those bikes is that they might need a fair bit of modification to do what he wants, in the form of tank, seat, guarding, and probably some suspension upgrades depending on his weight.

Thats why I picked up the KLR, all it really needed was pegs and guarding. As for the suspension, shim the front springs and just realize its a 400lb bike. I did put a $2000 suspension in it eventually, delusionally believing that if I spent enough money I could get it to skip whoops like a dirt bike, but when I shot that video the suspension was stock.
I'm thinking if I go the DS route that a used WR250r might be best/most affordable option for dipping my toes back into the sport, as the ergos would be fairly similar to the bikes that I have spent the most time on, and the suspension/ground clearance most up to the task. If I decide to stick with just a headlight/tail light, there are a ton of affordable used options out there.
Old 03-08-2024, 08:20 PM

Quote:
I'm thinking if I go the DS route that a used WR250r might be best/most affordable option for dipping my toes back into the sport, as the ergos would be fairly similar to the bikes that I have spent the most time on, and the suspension/ground clearance most up to the task. If I decide to stick with just a headlight/tail light, there are a ton of affordable used options out there.
Its a good bike, IRC the valve set interval is pretty impressive on those things too.

I think maintenance becomes a bigger issue with DS bikes, unless all you do is trailer them to the trails like a dirt bike. Everyone wants dirt bike performance, but the reality is that if you use the bike for commuting etc, then dirt bike maintenance intervals get old pretty fast.
Old 03-08-2024, 08:31 PM

Quote:
Its a good bike, IRC the valve set interval is pretty impressive on those things too.

I think maintenance becomes a bigger issue with DS bikes, unless all you do is trailer them to the trails like a dirt bike. Everyone wants dirt bike performance, but the reality is that if you use the bike for commuting etc, then dirt bike maintenance intervals get old pretty fast.
At my age, the most important feature now will be the magic button, lol. Kicking the 600 'Berg over with my left leg got old fast, especially if it got dumped when hot or on a hill, oh the joys.
Old 03-08-2024, 08:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sako1 View Post
Any bike is capable of being street legal as long as you tell your insurance company it is...lol
No, the VIN numbeer will dictate if its licenced for highway or not.
Old 03-08-2024, 09:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bergerboy View Post
No, the VIN numbeer will dictate if its licenced for highway or not.
Virtually any bike within reason can be "street legal".
Old 03-08-2024, 10:56 PM

My fun play bike is a YZ 250FX. It’s got enough get and go for me. I rip around trails at home riding with my kids and I’ve got nothing to prove anymore. Been there done that with the scars to prove it.

My everyday bike I use around the farm crop checking is a TTR 230. If you've been around bikes it’s pretty tame but very reliable. I bought it for my wife but it’s too much for her as she never grew up around bikes. She likes our TTR 125.

I would like to buy a dual sport. Just not sure what to buy. Leaning towards a DR 650.
Old 03-09-2024, 08:39 AM

I had a klr 650 for ten years until last spring. I found it to be low on power, (below 35 hp) and got tired of the vibration. They are low cost and bulletproof though. Sold it and bought a 1250 GSA as it is much better on the hwy and gravel roads with out the vibration of single cylinder and an additional 100 hp. Weighs in at 549 lbs compared to the KLR 483 but not so top heavy as KLR was. For trail stuff I use my TW 200.
Old 03-09-2024, 08:41 AM

I think getting an on road/off road bike is a great idea.

We spend a lot of time out west. So, a couple of years ago, we got a Suzuki DR200 for the boss. It would be too underpowered for you, but she can ride it around town and on the trails. She loves it.

Sent from my SM-S901W using Tapatalk
Old 03-09-2024, 12:44 PM

Life’s too short…get on with it

Old 03-10-2024, 09:47 AM

The first time I registered my wife's 84 CT-70 for the road, I had to bring it to the registry so the guy could confirm the VIN and all signal lights etc. before registering it. This was after paying $200 for a safety check due to its age and never having been road registered.
Old 03-10-2024, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunt4Ever View Post
Life’s too short…get on with it
Some nice pics. I recently sold my Service Honda 500 as it was getting to be harder and harder to kick over after wearing yourself out in the mountains and going into my 60's. Loved the bike, especially its hillclimbing abilities, but looking for something with an e-start now!
Old 03-10-2024, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okotok View Post
Some nice pics. I recently sold my Service Honda 500 as it was getting to be harder and harder to kick over after wearing yourself out in the mountains and going into my 60's. Loved the bike, especially its hillclimbing abilities, but looking for something with an e-start now!

The DR200 that I purchased for the boss has electric start. That was a must for her. But the one downfall of that bike, is no kick start.

I could possibly push start in some instances if I had to. But sometimes that's not as easy as it sounds. If she was out riding and lost power to the starter somehow. She'd be walking back.

Sent from my SM-S901W using Tapatalk
Old 03-10-2024, 09:43 PM

Quote:

Would you be satisfied doing trails after youth of motocross?
If you get pushing limit a bit to much with side by side or truck off roading, if you wreck it wouldn't hurt as much.
Old 03-11-2024, 08:53 AM

Last year made the sad decision to sell my yz250x and get a 701.

With fires seasons coming a thing, wanted to expand my horizons.

Having a blast on my 701.

Plenty capable to still ride with my daughter off road at Mclean and Kooc.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 701feb1.jpg (85.3 KB, 46 views)
Old 03-11-2024, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave P View Post
Last year made the sad decision to sell my yz250x and get a 701.

With fires seasons coming a thing, wanted to expand my horizons.

Having a blast on my 701.

Plenty capable to still ride with my daughter off road at Mclean and Kooc.

This is something that I hadn't even considered, all of the areas that were shut down during the fire season in the last few years. I had just set my sights on a nice used WR450F or a CRF250X, then I saw this post. Although I'm not a fan of riding a bike in the city, secondary roads are still something that would be doable. Something to seriously ponder