Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 02-11-2022, 08:10 PM

Default Fyi shipping Canada post

In November I purchased a hunting rifle
from a gentlemen in Manitoba.
Simple transaction pleasant and easy.
He shipped it canada post. Gave me a tracking number and said it's on it's way.
It went through Winnipeg main facility and was held. Canada post never contacted myself or the shipper.
3 weeks later I inquired to the seller. He went the extra mile and contacted Canada post. Then got back to me saying a manager was going to phone me shortly.
I got a call and for privacy reasons I wont say. He explained my parcel was stop because It was long and rectangular may contain a firearm.
I said yes it does. And what was the problem? He explained all boxes the resemblance of a firearm will be stopped and held. He further told me this was for age verification.
That canada post does not want to safe drop a firearm at a home with under age people.
In fairness he was just doing his job.
I replied saying I would never want a firearm safe dropped at my front door nor sending one elsewhere. I only send them asking for signature pick up at post office. I also mention both the seller and myself exchange pal licenses verification that we both were of age age holding valid licenses.
Why is Canada post doind this ?

My rifle that was concealed from knowing what it was and with trigger lock. Was being unpacked and going to be repacked in a rifle case and sent to me.
I said ok??

It then went from Winnipeg to Toronto for 3 weeks, then back to Winnipeg for 4 weeks. Finally about 80 kms from my home for another 3 weeks.

I recieved a random key about a month ago. No explanation.
Two weeks ago I received a empty rifle box.
On Wednesday I finally received the rifle from November.
Its was not concealed. Infact citizens not used to firearms at the post office were up set. It was in a cheap plano rifle case with locks at both ends.
I opened the rifle case without removing the locks easily by simply putting pressure on the middle.

This is what I know.... the seller packed it very well. With trigger lock, to be picked up at the post office. Concealed from what it contained.

Canada post then held it for months to them repack it unconcealed and easily removed from it case to be possibly left at my front door if I didn't follow the tracking.

?????? What is going on here?

Tight lines.......straight shooting

Last edited by 360hunt; 02-11-2022 at 08:28 PM.
Old 02-11-2022, 08:20 PM

https://www.canadapost-postescanada..../firearms.page

Thomas Sowell
Old 02-11-2022, 09:00 PM

It's no problem to ship ammunition, or a firearm, with Purolator (and based on a Google search, they are 91% owned by Canada Post).
You simply have to set up an account (takes a few minutes)
I believe you need an account with Canada Post to ship firearms with them.
Old 02-11-2022, 10:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikergolf View Post
Yep. I set up a small business account and have sent and received a few firearms following the new CP procedures.
It's been problem free so far...
Old 02-12-2022, 06:15 AM

Hmm it was November. Maybe someone that worked for Canada post in Manitoba needed a hunting rifle for the month.
Old 02-12-2022, 07:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkeye View Post
It's no problem to ship ammunition, or a firearm, with Purolator (and based on a Google search, they are 91% owned by Canada Post).
You simply have to set up an account (takes a few minutes)
I believe you need an account with Canada Post to ship firearms with them.
Since when has it been a legal option to send ammo via Purolator as an ordinary customer?
CanPar stopped sending ammo according to their rules and government regulations about 18-20 months ago I have looked into the possibility of another courier, but so far have not been successful.
As for the OP the sender has to initiate a claim for a lost or missing parcel.
Rob
Old 02-12-2022, 07:52 AM

Just had two shipments go through Canada Post (two rifles) in the last month. Packed correctly, everything in order. One shipment took over 2 weeks with a week delay somewhere between Calgary and Richmond. Typically that shipment would have taken 3 days.
The other one went through Richmond, to Calgary, with a week delay out of Calgary, then back to the coast for final delivery 2 weeks after shipment. That should have been another 3 day shipment.
FWIW their tracking website is often not up to date and misses some info (like going through Richmond, again).
Truly awful service and I have an extensive background of working in that industry FWIW.
Right now I would be very reluctant to be using them to ship a firearm again.
Old 02-12-2022, 08:09 AM

Ahhh Canada post. Something needs to be done so we can ship firearms responsibly through our national postal statement-the system set up for citizens use by the way.

I had a revolver shipped and requiring a signature. They put I in my mailbox, the cardboard box was sticking up and anyone could see and or steal it.
Old 02-12-2022, 08:10 AM

I wonder if one of the firearms groups could actually put pressure on our elected officials to actually have this dealt with once and for all by Canada post.
Old 02-12-2022, 09:01 AM

Canada Post can’t screw up enough. It isn’t in their nature to do things correctly. What other organization sells insurance to cover you for theft by themselves?

-Billy Molls
Old 02-12-2022, 10:42 AM

This story from last March, and the resulting social media outrage, was the catalyst that set the Canada Post bureaucracy in motion in regards to implementing their farcical firearms shipping rules.

https://toronto.citynews.ca/2021/03/...ivered-ottawa/
Quote:
Ottawa mom shocked to discover Canada Post delivered shotgun to 11-year-old son
By News Staff
Posted Mar 12, 2021, 12:17PM EST. Last Updated Mar 12, 2021, 6:58PM EST.

An Ottawa woman says she was surprised to discover a 12-gauge shotgun delivered into the hands of her 11-year-old son during a postal mixup.

Dawna – whose last name we’re withholding for her privacy – says she was working from home and unable to answer the door when Canada Post showed up with a delivery. After her son received the package from the postal carrier, she was shocked to see the contents in the box.

“Mom, you’ve got to see this! There’s a gun!” he said.

“Someone can order a weapon online, that’s one thing,” said Dawna, who admits she is not anti-gun. “But that there’s no verification that it’s the same person who ordered the weapon is actually receiving it? That to me is concerning.”

Dawna says after notifying Canada Post, they came back to pick up the package the next morning, offering only an apology and an explanation that the label likely fell off her package and came to be on the gun package by mistake. She says she is stunned that a package that clearly indicates it requires an adult’s signature could just be handed to a child, especially when it states on Canada Post’s website that proof of age is required when shipping firearms.

“It said signature 18-plus, but nobody asked,” she told CityNews. “The person asked for an adult, but didn’t wait. My son said ‘there’s no adult who can come to the door right now,’ and so she gave him the box. When I see something like this, it makes me worried this could have gone really wrong.”

“And it’s probably not an isolated incident, if the reaction I get when I complain about it is ‘you know, these things happen’.”

In a statement to CityNews, Canada Post says that at some point during the delivery process “a loose shipping label got affixed to another parcel.”

“Our employee delivered the item following the instructions on that shipping label, which did not require Proof of Age,” read the statement – even though the package containing the gun clearly indicated it needed an adult’s signature.

After learning that the boy was feeling guilty about the incident, Canada Post sent him a care package, along with a letter letting him know that he did nothing wrong.
Previous to the Ottawa incident, there was the story out of Hantsport NS about the handgun incorrectly delivered to a business owner that caused a ruckus.
https://atlantic.ctvnews.ca/n-s-shop...tead-1.5236525

Quote:
N.S. shop owner orders holiday leggings, receives handgun insteadHeidi Petracek 2016
Heidi Petracek CTV News Atlantic Reporter
Published Thursday, December 17, 2020 8:14PM AST Last Updated Monday, December 21, 2020 10:44AM AST

HANTSPORT, N.S. -- As the owner of The Barking Bean Café in Hantsport, N.S., Glenn Deering usually spends his days pouring coffee for customers and stocking his shelves with food and goodies for canines.

But lately, he's had to expand his offerings in-store, to make up for lost revenue due to pandemic restrictions on how many customers he can have in his café. So, he started bringing in some apparel to sell, namely leggings.

After recently placing an order for holiday-themed leggings, he thought nothing of it when a box from the apparel supplier arrived via Canada Post earlier this week.

But he got a surprise when he opened the box up.

"Just opened it up and noticed a hard black case," he says, "and I said 'OK, this is not leggings.'"

He opened up the plastic case and couldn't believe what he saw.

"To my surprise, it turned out to be a 9mm handgun," said Deering.

There was no ammunition in the package -- it's illegal to ship firearms with ammunition in Canada – but there was paperwork with the semi-automatic 9mm pistol.

That paperwork showed the gun was meant for a buyer in Ontario. The gun model requires a Restricted Possession and Acquisition Licence (RPAL) to purchase in Canada.

Deering says he called Windsor District RCMP for help, since he does not have a RPAL and knew it would be illegal for him to have the gun in his possession.

The RCMP confirm that the gun in question is now in their custody.

RCMP spokesperson Sgt. Andrew Joyce informed CTV News in an email that "the firearm was sent in a lawful manner from a licensed firearms business in Ontario, to a licensed individual, to whom the registration certificate and authorized [sic] had been issued by the Canadian Firearms Program."

CTV News contacted the apparel company Deering had ordered the leggings from. A representative with "Leg Smart" told CTV News in an email that the company had been made aware of the situation. Liza MacDonald says the company would have shipped its product out in a compostable mailer, not in a cardboard box.

MacDonald says the company contacted Canada Post, which she says "treated the matter as if it were simply a lost parcel," and that there had been no further communication.
Deering says close inspection of the parcel he received provided a clue as to what went wrong.

"The shipping label came off of my package somehow and ended up on top of this other one," Deering said.

A photo of the package taken by Deering does appear to show his label affixed over another.

As to how that happened?

"Good question, that's the part now that's really questionable, trying to figure out where and how the label came off the shipping bag of the leggings onto a cardboard box," Deering says, "and directly over the label that was on the box."

Canada Post did respond in an email to inquiries from CTV News. "This incident is being investigated," writes Valérie Chartrand, media relations representative with the Crown corporation.

"We thank our customer for bringing the item to the RCMP and for bringing this situation to our attention. We are in contact with the customer and apologize for this incident. We don't have further details to share at this time."

Deering says, with the postal service being so busy this holiday season, he wants to caution anyone receiving parcels in the mail to check their packages carefully.

"Just don't assume that it's the items that you originally ordered and go ahead and wrap any boxes," he says. "Heaven forbid you wouldn't want to see that, this item could have ended up in the wrong hands."

The RCMP says it's grateful Deering did the right thing.

As for his original order of holiday leggings, without a shipping label, the package is long gone.

Deering says maybe he'll try that order again, next year.
In the future, we can expect more rules to be implemented in response to mistakes made by Canada Post employees. This is their new normal.

“We seem to be getting closer and closer to a situation where nobody is responsible for what they did but we are all responsible for what somebody else did.”- Thomas Sowell
Old 02-12-2022, 11:27 AM

With the volume of packages in the Canada Post system their will be errors. No system is perfect and you can't make it perfect. It's the knee jerk solutions that are the problem and the result of the OP's frustration. I'm not going to be offended or worried or anxious and respond with a media blitz to get my 15 minutes of fame in, if I received something in the mail that wasn't mine.
Old 02-12-2022, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CNP View Post
With the volume of packages in the Canada Post system their will be errors. No system is perfect and you can't make it perfect. It's the knee jerk solutions that are the problem and the result of the OP's frustration. I'm not going to be offended or worried or anxious and respond with a media blitz to get my 15 minutes of fame in, if I received something in the mail that wasn't mine.
I agree. Canpar dropped powder and ammo because they got a ton of grief for what amounts to a very small percentage of their freight. With Canada Post, it may not be pretty sometimes but I have always eventually received or had delivered any firearm related stuff I mailed. I can put up with the delays. I don't really want to have to pay 300 bucks a pop to air freight stuff high security, like they have to in some countries.