Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 01-27-2022, 10:11 PM

Default Tikka Rifle - Unintentional Discharge / Warranty Issues

Hey folks, I am looking for some advice. Not so much technical advice on the misfire but on dealing with Tikka on getting a satisfactory repair.

Purchased a new in box Tikka T3X Lite in veil. The one with the fluting, fancy camo pattern and oversized bolt handle. Ran one box of factory ammo through it to sight it in and get used to it and went out hunting this past fall. Was really happy with it until it fired when I closed the bolt.

This occurred mid-November. Ran into issues getting warranty as the dealer I purchased from had purchased it from another dealer so when I contacted Tikka for warranty (after contacting dealer directly) they advised from their perspective the gun was used as they sold it to the other vendor. Anyway the shop I got it from got that sorted but that took a month or so.

Finally got the return # and sent it in to their facility in Ontario. As I feared would happen I received an email stating the rifle was "inspected in detail" (that was the extent of the what the email said), tested with 5 rounds and no issue found. It was going to be sent back to me with nothing done. I called right away they returned my call. I requested they do not send it back to me as I am not ok with nothing being found / done to it. He was decent and understood my complete lack of trust in this rifle at this point. In our conversation I said if I could choose the outcome I would have them send me entire new rifle. At the very least replace the trigger group (this was the part that, prior to them receiving it, was where they were confident the issue would be found). He told me it isn't their policy to replace parts without finding the issue. I essentially replied I don't accept that and don't send it back. He was going to have the smith go through it again and get back to me. It's been about two weeks, maybe closer to three now.

Obviously I am really disappointed about all of this. I am hoping they come through but at 1700 bucks plus their reputation plus the severity of this type of incident I don't understand the hesitancy to replace it or at least ANY and ALL parts that could have been a cause. Hell I can get a quick and easy warranty replacement on a TV and a TV isn't going to kill someone.

Any advice on how to get a satisfactory outcome??

P.S. apologies for the long ass story Thanks in advance.
Old 01-27-2022, 10:52 PM

Hard to tell. Unless I had the title in my hands but some common cause are a trigger with a bit of crud in it- (doesn't take much) an put of adjustment trigger ( just had to adjust one after ten years of steady use )
A bedding issue ( usually happens right off the bat or if action screws are not set properly) or something hanging up the internals of the bolt .
Cat
Old 01-28-2022, 06:57 AM

I would suspect crud in the trigger mechanism, or a trigger adjusted too light, but the crud usually takes someone lubing the trigger mechanism, and the trigger being too light, usually requires someone adjusting it. Moisture in the trigger mechanism could also be an issue in cold temperatures. Have you been able to get the rifle to fire again without pulling the trigger? If there is an issue, you can usually reproduce the problem if you cycle the action enough. I have witnessed one accidental discharge myself, and I was watching the shooter, and saw him accidentally bump the trigger with his finger as he chambered a round. He denied doing it, and we must have cycled the rifle a couple of hundred times trying to reproduce the accidental discharge, but I did see him bump the trigger, even though he didn't realize that he did. If it was ,my rifle, I would likely cycle it hundreds of times, rap the action and bolt handle with a small dead blow hammer, and try hard to make it happen again, to prove that there is an issue with the rifle, before even contacting the manufacturer.
Old 01-28-2022, 07:21 AM

Like the others have said, guns discharge for a reason. They listed off potential causes. I have fixed quite a few rifles that would either not cock or would drop the hammer at the wrong time. In almost 100% of the cases it was a mis-adjusted trigger, most often from the owner messing with it. Since you say you didn't touch the trigger then stuff in the trigger, bedding or bolt tension. Since the gunsmith found nothing it would appear that it was either junk in the trigger or the bolts were not torqued correctly. If he can't replicate the issue there really isn't much he can do.

A trigger either works right, or it doesn't. If it drops the hammer closing the bolt you should be able to replicate that pretty easily. I would follow Elk's advice on opening and closing the bolt a couple of hundred times on an empty chamber, then with a dud test round and rapping on the bolt handle, firing pin etc with a small dead blow hammer. If you can replicate the discharge video it.
Old 01-29-2022, 12:44 AM

Thanks guys. I definitely didn't touch the trigger. That is what I initially thought happened too however my left hand was on the fore-end and right on the bolt handle.
Old 01-29-2022, 06:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sogseal View Post
Thanks guys. I definitely didn't touch the trigger. That is what I initially thought happened too however my left hand was on the fore-end and right on the bolt handle.
My friend swore he didn't touch the trigger either, but in the excitement, as he was watching a pronghorn, his finger touched the trigger as his palm pushed down the bolt. Mechanical issues do occur, but these things always seem to happen in the field, and rarely at the range where a person is relaxed and paying attention. As posted previously, if there is a mechanical issue with the trigger, you should be able to reproduce the incident, if you try for a considerable period. Or there may have been something in the trigger mechanism, and it fell out, and is gone. I can understand your concern, and you not being able to fully trust the rifle now, but if you can't make it happen again, and a warranty center found no issue, it's most likely that there is currently no mechanical issue with the rifle.
Old 01-29-2022, 07:33 AM

I googled the issues you have and it seems it has happened to other people. When any of them followed up it looks like Tikka replaced something. Lots of the others talked about the searing mechanism being slightly out of tolerance and even when changing to after market trigger it could still happen. No idea if this is true as my knowledge on this is zero.

I would ask them to provide written report that the firearm is mechanically safe to use, maybe that might pressure some new parts. I dunno I am like you; I would have a hard time using a rifle and trusting it after something like that happened especially if I was told its good to go with no fix being done.

Honestly I would even have a hard time selling a rifle like that, maybe because the dealer knows the issue if you get it back they will take it with store credit and you can get a new rifle. Might take a loss but at least its not on your mind every time you use it.
Old 01-29-2022, 11:12 AM

It fired as soon as you locked the bolt down? You're fortunate that it didn't fire out of battery.

Proud primer?

Crud on the bolt face?

Was the bolt still cocked when the round went off? You probably didn't think to check with all the excitement but knowing that would eliminate a trigger problem.
Old 01-29-2022, 06:43 PM

I'm kinda with the others in thinking it was something else besides the rifle that caused the issue but if you need to trust the rifle again I would just get an aftermarket trigger to remove any doubt in the current mechanism.

For my coyote pics @trophy_country_coyotes on instagram

life's too short to fish nymphs
Old 01-29-2022, 07:48 PM

Quote:
To feel confident in carrying the gun again put it through enough tests until you are comfortable.
Work the action hard and fast, bump the gun on the floor, hit it hard with the palm of your hand.

I had the similar thing happen on 2 different guns and I don't think I touched the trigger but I could not get them to do it again so its possible that I did.
Old 01-29-2022, 10:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tikka250 View Post
I'm kinda with the others in thinking it was something else besides the rifle that caused the issue but if you need to trust the rifle again I would just get an aftermarket trigger to remove any doubt in the current mechanism.
That’s what I did, replaced the trigger mechanism with a TriggerTech on my Rem 700 to remove any doubt after 2 firings when closing the bolt, no issues since…what a trigger now.
Old 01-30-2022, 07:27 AM

The usual causes of accidental discharge.

Human error - actually having finger on trigger

Triggers set below their capability or altered.

Oil , grease , solvent , crud in trigger .

I recently fix a problem trigger and the issue was some how a piece of plastic found it way into the trigger housing . How that got in there god only knows .

If it was really cold out when you had your issue I would suspect excess oil in the trigger mechanism .
Old 01-31-2022, 03:26 PM

I’d call up Alec Baldwin. He’s getting to the bottom of this type of thing. He didn’t pull the trigger either but someone is responsible and he’s committed to seeing to it that they are held accountable.
In all seriousness, I’ve watched an sks go off when I was getting up off the ground to pick it up and unload it before walking down Range. Scariest thing ever seeing a gun go off when it shouldn’t. I’d keep on them to replace something too as I wouldn’t be comfortable with a rifle that went off.
Tough though when you can’t explain what happened or reproduce the situation
Old 01-31-2022, 04:14 PM

I would be suspicious of a proud primer or possibly protruding firing pin possibly debris caused pin to protrude enough to fire and dislodge the pin at same time. Give it a serious cleaning and inspection yourself dont depend on others to do your due diligence, then I would sit down with snap cap or dummy round and close that bolt as many times as it took to reinstall confidence in the firearm. If that didnt do it off to the chop saw cause I couldnt live with myself knowing that somebody else might get hurt because of my passed on problem.

Last edited by brass410; 01-31-2022 at 04:15 PM. Reason: grammer
Old 01-31-2022, 04:15 PM

Ask them what the trigger weight was when they tested it.
Only a 5 round test and no other explanation ??
Dont get any satisfaction ?? .... bite down and get a Trigger Tech
Old 01-31-2022, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ackleyman View Post
Ask them what the trigger weight was when they tested it.
Only a 5 round test and no other explanation ??
Dont get any satisfaction ?? .... bite down and get a Trigger Tech
Triggertech doesn't make triggers for Tikka .
Old 01-31-2022, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
My friend swore he didn't touch the trigger either, but in the excitement, as he was watching a pronghorn, his finger touched the trigger as his palm pushed down the bolt. Mechanical issues do occur, but these things always seem to happen in the field, and rarely at the range where a person is relaxed and paying attention. As posted previously, if there is a mechanical issue with the trigger, you should be able to reproduce the incident, if you try for a considerable period. Or there may have been something in the trigger mechanism, and it fell out, and is gone. I can understand your concern, and you not being able to fully trust the rifle now, but if you can't make it happen again, and a warranty center found no issue, it's most likely that there is currently no mechanical issue with the rifle.
If you have a glove on your hand it can easily set the trigger off when you are closing the bolt, had it happen on mine once, and my partner did it too. Mine was a Tikka, his a Husky. My glove was a real light fleece too, but it still fired when I closed the bolt.
Old 01-31-2022, 06:55 PM

My buddy has a Browning BBR with some trigger issues. It would not fire sometimes when you pulled the trigger but as soon as you started to lift the bolt handle it would go off. Took it to a gun smith to look at it and he could not find any problem and the gun worked fine. Next time we took it out it did it again. So now the gun sits. He doesn’t want to shoot it or sell it because it’s down right scary
Old 01-31-2022, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokinyotes View Post
My buddy has a Browning BBR with some trigger issues. It would not fire sometimes when you pulled the trigger but as soon as you started to lift the bolt handle it would go off. Took it to a gun smith to look at it and he could not find any problem and the gun worked fine. Next time we took it out it did it again. So now the gun sits. He doesn’t want to shoot it or sell it because it’s down right scary
Understandable! That sounds scary AF
Old 01-31-2022, 08:48 PM

I have NEVER had a gun that discharged inappropriately that I was unable to be diagnosed and fixed. Outside of user induced discharges, mechanical issues were always able to be reproduced and corrected. If it is mechanical u can make it happen again. Fat fingers, gloves, bad technique are all hard to replicate.
Old 02-01-2022, 07:03 AM

Quote:
Hey folks, I am looking for some advice. Not so much technical advice on the misfire but on dealing with Tikka on getting a satisfactory repair.

Purchased a new in box Tikka T3X Lite in veil. The one with the fluting, fancy camo pattern and oversized bolt handle. Ran one box of factory ammo through it to sight it in and get used to it and went out hunting this past fall. Was really happy with it until it fired when I closed the bolt.

This occurred mid-November. Ran into issues getting warranty as the dealer I purchased from had purchased it from another dealer so when I contacted Tikka for warranty (after contacting dealer directly) they advised from their perspective the gun was used as they sold it to the other vendor. Anyway the shop I got it from got that sorted but that took a month or so.

Finally got the return # and sent it in to their facility in Ontario. As I feared would happen I received an email stating the rifle was "inspected in detail" (that was the extent of the what the email said), tested with 5 rounds and no issue found. It was going to be sent back to me with nothing done. I called right away they returned my call. I requested they do not send it back to me as I am not ok with nothing being found / done to it. He was decent and understood my complete lack of trust in this rifle at this point. In our conversation I said if I could choose the outcome I would have them send me entire new rifle. At the very least replace the trigger group (this was the part that, prior to them receiving it, was where they were confident the issue would be found). He told me it isn't their policy to replace parts without finding the issue. I essentially replied I don't accept that and don't send it back. He was going to have the smith go through it again and get back to me. It's been about two weeks, maybe closer to three now.

Obviously I am really disappointed about all of this. I am hoping they come through but at 1700 bucks plus their reputation plus the severity of this type of incident I don't understand the hesitancy to replace it or at least ANY and ALL parts that could have been a cause. Hell I can get a quick and easy warranty replacement on a TV and a TV isn't going to kill someone.

Any advice on how to get a satisfactory outcome??

P.S. apologies for the long ass story Thanks in advance.
Are you dealing with Stoeger for this? I had a new Sako 85 in 270wsm that would eject everything into the scope. It took me about 2 months even after they had it once to fix the problem, which they didn't, but I finally got them to replace it.
Old 02-01-2022, 10:22 PM

I had a old Winchester Ranger if you cocked the rifle, put it on safe, pulled the trigger, then released the safety it would fire.

I wondered how cold it was in your incident as well?
- older 6x fixed scopes with fine X or target dot.
Old 02-07-2022, 11:03 PM

I'd recommend getting rid of the rifle and getting a Model 70. With the safety in the middle or rear position, the firing pin is actually held back by the safety lever on the bolt. This means it is disengaged from the sear. The firing pin doesn't make any contact with the sear until the safety is set to fire.

This means you can do anything you want with the trigger. Even if you have a defective or damaged trigger which "fires", the firing pin will stay safety held back by the safety lever. Hell, you could not even have a sear in the rifle and it still wouldn't fire.

THAT is a safe design. Safeties that simply prevent the trigger from cycling and the sear being the only thing holding the firing pin are NOT safe designs.

As an added bonus, the model 70 has a bolt which can be unscrewed by hand in the field for field maintenance, to remove excess oil to prevent issues in cold weather.

I guess it comes down to what's important to you. Do you want whatever it is that drew you to Tikka (can't think of anything), or do you want a much safer design which is easier to maintain? Not to mention superior flat bottom receiver with integral recoil lug unlike the tikka which is designed simply to be made affordably.

Any kind of mechanical failure/contamination with the trigger, safety, or sear in the tikka = BANG!
Old 02-08-2022, 06:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by savage shooter View Post
I'd recommend getting rid of the rifle and getting a Model 70. With the safety in the middle or rear position, the firing pin is actually held back by the safety lever on the bolt. This means it is disengaged from the sear. The firing pin doesn't make any contact with the sear until the safety is set to fire.

This means you can do anything you want with the trigger. Even if you have a defective or damaged trigger which "fires", the firing pin will stay safety held back by the safety lever. Hell, you could not even have a sear in the rifle and it still wouldn't fire.

THAT is a safe design. Safeties that simply prevent the trigger from cycling and the sear being the only thing holding the firing pin are NOT safe designs.

As an added bonus, the model 70 has a bolt which can be unscrewed by hand in the field for field maintenance, to remove excess oil to prevent issues in cold weather.

I guess it comes down to what's important to you. Do you want whatever it is that drew you to Tikka (can't think of anything), or do you want a much safer design which is easier to maintain? Not to mention superior flat bottom receiver with integral recoil lug unlike the tikka which is designed simply to be made affordably.

Any kind of mechanical failure/contamination with the trigger, safety, or sear in the tikka = BANG!
What typically draws people to Tikka, is a good trigger, and good accuracy, at a reasonable price, and recent model 70s have a substandard trigger, and a not so great reputation for accuracy.
Old 02-08-2022, 07:32 AM

The model 70 has a very good safety. One of the best however the Winchester is not immune to Accidental discharge. Ie above post on the Win Ranger . It’s usually not the safety on any firearm causing the problem it’s the trigger / sear.
Old 02-08-2022, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fps plus View Post
The model 70 has a very good safety. One of the best however the Winchester is not immune to Accidental discharge. Ie above post on the Win Ranger . It’s usually not the safety on any firearm causing the problem it’s the trigger / sear.
We don't know if his ranger was a model 70 or not. However, he notes that even with the trigger tripped, the rifle would not fire unless the safety was removed. This indicates the safety's design prevent what would have a discharge on any other rifle.

As noted, the design of the model 70's safety prevents discharge EVEN if the trigger is tripped and the sear disengages.

I Have/have had a number of recent m70s and they're better than the pre-64s. The triggers are great. The accuracy is great. If you like, feel free to put an aftermarket trigger on and continue to enjoy the superior bolt safety.
Old 02-08-2022, 03:41 PM

I'm not a gunsmith but I have repaired or replaced triggers on many different brands of rifles that would fire whencocked then had the safety disengaged.
Some wear worn trigger sears, some broken, others misadjusted , numerous issues.
A model 70 eas one that was changed out just this fall in Fact .
I've them, especially the safety and bolt tear down system , much like the Mauser , but as far as safeties ho I very rarely use one, I rely on open bolts and muzzle control more than anything.
Cat
Old 02-08-2022, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by savage shooter View Post
We don't know if his ranger was a model 70 or not. However, he notes that even with the trigger tripped, the rifle would not fire unless the safety was removed. This indicates the safety's design prevent what would have a discharge on any other rifle.

As noted, the design of the model 70's safety prevents discharge EVEN if the trigger is tripped and the sear disengages.

I Have/have had a number of recent m70s and they're better than the pre-64s. The triggers are great. The accuracy is great. If you like, feel free to put an aftermarket trigger on and continue to enjoy the superior bolt safety.
I have adjusted a few recent model 70 triggers, none would adjust below 3-1/2 lbs, and one wouldn't go below 4 lbs , I don't consider that a great trigger. As far as the rifle firing when the safety is removed , that is still a dangerous situation.
Old 02-08-2022, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnthehat View Post
I rely on open bolts and muzzle control more than anything.
Cat
Same here.
When I’m getting ready to shoot and I’m getting into position either seated or prone, that’s when I cycle a round into the chamber and will put a safety on sometimes while I’m settling in.
Old 02-08-2022, 04:16 PM

FYI the Ranger is based on the model 70 action .
All safety’s block the firing pin in one way or another . Some not as direct as the model 70 or Mauser 98. Most block the trigger which blocks the sear which blocks the firing pin .