Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 01-04-2015, 04:47 PM
Banned

Default QuickLoad software

Due to the recent shortages of components and powders I find that investigating potential unpublished load data becomes more interesting. And admittedly given the fact that I may be a ballistics, numbers, charts, statistical bit of a junky. I am wondering what those of you that run QuickLoad software have to report? I'm ready to pull the trigger on it, but I want my tools to be productive.
Old 01-05-2015, 01:20 AM
Gone Hunting

Default Go for it

I bought the first version of QL several years ago; I had already bought every manual that I could find.

I have bought each major revision as it became available; while the text in the manuals is informative and interesting (in most cases), I have learned to rely on QL.

Five years ago, I purchased a strain gage kit. Strain gage testing showed that the actual pressures generated in my firearms were within very close agreement to those generated by the programme. It only went wonky with squib loads or extremely high (70K+) loads. I tried only a few of these extreme loads under carefully managed conditions as curiosity got the better of me!

The bottom line is that I find QuickLoad to be a reliable, versatile tool.
Old 01-05-2015, 05:54 AM

I came very close to purchasing the program, but after talking to a couple of people that have it, I changed my mind. One fellow that was using the program reported that the actual velocities often varied by 100fps or more, and some loads that should have been within the acceptable chamber pressures according to the calculations, displayed higher than normal velocities, as well as extrusion, and excessive web expansion on the cases. While it apparently get's a person in the ballpark, just like a loading manual, it can't take variances in powder lots or barrel and chamber dimensions into account, so the calculated velocities and pressures are really no more reliable than the data in a manual.
Old 01-05-2015, 09:45 AM

quickload is a tool, and does not give you 100% of the equation, although its pretty close.

we used ql to do a lot of comparison with differents calibers, it helped a lot in the 7mmwsm selection, although i should have went rsaum.

quickload printed tables, side by side with chrony results on the range and pressure tests saves me a lot of time.

it gives you an idea of the theoretical pressure that load will create.
once you know where your gun max out, and you can point it on your quickload, then you can tell right away where your max will be for pretty much all the others loads going in that gun. just dont go over the magic number. (havent blown up anything yet doing it)

for load tuning, i know its wrong but i rely on quickload. with a gun that apparently has a life expectacy of 1500 rounds, i don't want to waste 10% of its life developping loads. i did a 25 rounds pressure check, and found the max.
then i got the data modified in quickload and found the few loads that would have the less fps variation. that's where i play. you really need to be precise with all the input

for my m305 which have a pressure limitation around 50 000 not to beat up the gun too much;
i take any bullet on the market
input it with my favorite powder h4895 in this case
and take the matching pressure. if that load look like it makes sens, i reload a bunch and so far i have never had any failure. i still try to stick with 150gr ish but sometimes i get 155, 168, whatever is available.

its a great tool
but its just a tool
Old 01-06-2015, 04:24 PM
Banned

After speaking with Cat and learning of his experience with it, I ordered it today.
Old 01-06-2015, 05:12 PM

Cost and source? [who has the best deal?]
Windows or Mac?
Old 01-06-2015, 05:23 PM
Banned

The source is Neconos.com Price is $159 US, about $180 Cdn with shipping. My version is Windows and I haven't seen a Mac version on their website.
Old 01-06-2015, 05:59 PM

Default QuickLoad

I have it. Love it. I use it a lot more than I thought I would.
Especially useful for 3 cal's that I load for - 7x57, 280 Rem, 338-06.

VDD Group Canada
Old 02-11-2022, 03:10 PM

Default Quickload

I know this is an old thread but I was just wondering how many reloaders have recently discovered the advantages Of Quickload Software and have made the purchase.
Have you ?
Old 02-11-2022, 03:41 PM

I find it indspensible fir comparing powders and cartridges.
There are cartridges on there that you will never find in load book as well.
I don't use it as a Bible but I don't use a single manual like that either .
You can also build a cartridge on it .
Well worth the money as far as I am concerned....
Cat
Old 02-11-2022, 08:35 PM

Before running out and buying Quickload, have a look at Gordon's Reloading Tools. It's free and is has produced some very effective results for me.
Old 02-11-2022, 09:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slinky Pickle View Post
Before running out and buying Quickload, have a look at Gordon's Reloading Tools. It's free and is has produced some very effective results for me.
I took a quick look, and you have to pay for it.
I didn't open any of the requessted links either, after having been hacked too many times.
I have alll the llatyest powders , bullets and cartridges on my Quickload and although I am far from computer literite, I can navigate it without too much hassle.
Cat
Old 02-11-2022, 09:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnthehat View Post
I took a quick look, and you have to pay for it.
I didn't open any of the requessted links either, after having been hacked too many times.
I have alll the llatyest powders , bullets and cartridges on my Quickload and although I am far from computer literite, I can navigate it without too much hassle.
Cat
I'm not sure where you ended up but it's definitely a free download. There is a link to donate but you don't have to. You do have to register though.

I went to find the link for you and discovered that the author of the product passed away last month. That's a tragic shame and I don't know what will become of the software now.
Old 02-11-2022, 10:25 PM

https://www.neconos.com/category/Software-2
Old 02-12-2022, 11:16 AM

Gordon's Reloading Tool is great to have and is free. You do have to log in to be able to download. If your thinking of trying it, I would download it ASAP as the owner died on Jan 19 this year. So it may not be available much longer. Similar to QL but different in a way. Both are very good to plan with.
Old 02-12-2022, 08:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davey Boy View Post
Gordon's Reloading Tool is great to have and is free. You do have to log in to be able to download. If your thinking of trying it, I would download it ASAP as the owner died on Jan 19 this year. So it may not be available much longer. Similar to QL but different in a way. Both are very good to plan with.
I have had Gordon's for close to two years now, It's still in the BETA stage with new updates coming regularily...like every day or so. Sorry to learn about Gordon. He worked very hard on that software.
I also have used Quikload for almost a decade and have all the updates that come every year or so and can say I'm glad I have QL. I used it to the point where nearly all the req.d tweaking is done for all the rifles I use
and has saved me a pile of money to date. Good to go every time and hasn't failed me yet.
I also have a strong suspicion that many of the ammo Mfg"s are using QL as well as I see some of thier load data compares to QL outputs - precisely. If that is the case,it saves them a pile of $ as well. I cant blame them for that.

Last edited by Salavee; 02-12-2022 at 08:12 PM.
Old 02-13-2022, 09:05 PM

Default ...it depends

I have QL for 5-6years now and it helped me answering a lot of "if" scenarios. It works best with in combination with a chrony or similar.

I have used it to develop loads for light bullets (150gn TTSX) on 300WSM and 300WM.
When I was out of IMR4350, I used QL to simulate a load for my 30-06 with the same MV using RL17. Measured MV was +20fps compared to QL predicted. I found the the best load quickly and saved me a lot of bullets and trips to the range. The "optimal barrel time" technique can be used to simulate a lot of other scenarios when you change one or more variables on your load.
I bought about 8lbs of RL17 and based on measured MV, I have tuned powder burning rate factor (Ba) in QL to match observed speeds. I haven't checked lately but I ma sure the newly "calibrated" powder would give better simulated results.

To really make use of QL you need a chrony. Total costs would be +/-$350. It might not be worth if you are looking for a one time solution.