Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 02-16-2011, 07:31 PM

Default Auto CD players

Anyone know if there is a certain type of car CD player (aftermarket) you need to play home burnt CD's in. Not sure if they all will play homemade dics or not. Thanks.
Old 02-16-2011, 07:37 PM

The new one's even the cheap 100$ units will play all types of CD's even "burnt" or "ripped." Additionally, most will come with a USB port which is 100 times better yet!
Old 02-16-2011, 09:13 PM

That's good news dumoulin, but what does the usb do for you. (yeah I'm computer illiterate).
Old 02-16-2011, 09:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moosemad View Post
That's good news dumoulin, but what does the usb do for you. (yeah I'm computer illiterate).
The USB port allows you to plug in a mp3/ ipod into your stereo and have all of your music with you in the car without a couple hundred cd's haha.
Old 02-16-2011, 11:51 PM

Don't need an Ipod or MP3 player. A thumb drive will work too. I'm going to change out the factory stereo in my truck so I can play MP3's instead of packing a bunch of CD's around with me. Just bought the wife a new car that has USB and it sounds awsome with a thumb drive. So far I've got about 12 CD's on one 4gig drive and still plenty of room for more.
Old 02-17-2011, 08:21 AM

Quote:
Anyone know if there is a certain type of car CD player (aftermarket) you need to play home burnt CD's in. Not sure if they all will play homemade dics or not. Thanks.
What format are you using to burn? mp3 or wma? Look for something that is compatible with your format. It should all be listed in the specs.

For example: 'Supports AAC/WMA/MP3 audio playback'

http://www.bestbuy.ca/en-CA/product/...f8a8735022en02

'Never trust anyone who says you can't legally own something because they don't like it'. - Me
Old 02-17-2011, 12:28 PM

My 04 Ranger came with a factory 6 disc in dash MP3 player. It's great!!!
6 discs of MP3's means you don't have to change the discs all that often.
For me, by the time i get back to disc one i don't mind listening to it again.
The beauty of MP3 format is you can fit alot of music on one disc compared to usually only a dozen songs on a store bought cd ?
I also have a Pioneer aftermarket disc in my car that plays MP4 format which allows even more songs per disc that MP3 format.
Old 02-17-2011, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rod1960 View Post
What format are you using to burn? mp3 or wma? Look for something that is compatible with your format. It should all be listed in the specs.

When you burn a CD, it will usually do so in mp3 or mwa. mp3 has more advantages... Also, be aware that if you get the Kenwood, they don't sync well with iPhones. Been there, done that. What are you installing this in?
Old 02-17-2011, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dumoulin View Post
When you burn a CD, it will usually do so in mp3 or mwa. mp3 has more advantages... Also, be aware that if you get the Kenwood, they don't sync well with iPhones. Been there, done that. What are you installing this in?
I'm not buying/installing anything. I just used that as an example.

'Never trust anyone who says you can't legally own something because they don't like it'. - Me
Old 02-17-2011, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rod1960 View Post

Burning the cd's with windows media player, not sure what format they use. The music that was downloaded originally was MP3 format, does it change when they are burnt with windows media player? Can't seem to find that info on the windows program.
Don't want to spend money on a player and find out I can't use my homemade cd's, took a while to burn about 75 of them so far.
Old 02-17-2011, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Burning the cd's with windows media player, not sure what format they use. The music that was downloaded originally was MP3 format, does it change when they are burnt with windows media player? Can't seem to find that info on the windows program.
Don't want to spend money on a player and find out I can't use my homemade cd's, took a while to burn about 75 of them so far.
Windows Media Player will burn WMA by default, typically 15 - 20 songs per CD. It will convert mp3's to its own format. You can switch to mp3 but I'll have to bang around in there and remember how I did it.

Most of the people I know use Nero to burn mp3's.

Old 02-17-2011, 07:33 PM

Yup, nero express is super easy to use.
If you want too know if the stereo you are interested in will play them, take your burnt cd to the store with you and try it out as most stereo shops have the stereos they sell hooked up in their sound room?
Old 02-18-2011, 08:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Rog Man View Post
Yup, nero express is super easy to use.
If you want too know if the stereo you are interested in will play them, take your burnt cd to the store with you and try it out as most stereo shops have the stereos they sell hooked up in their sound room?
Now there's a fool proof idea, thanks for all the replies.