Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 02-18-2011, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheephunter View Post
My dog goes for a walk to the dog park...in the mountains,
I'm taking my mutt out on the West Bragg Creek ski trails this weekend, off-leash. I'm sure I'll get a couple dirty looks, but it's legal.
Old 02-18-2011, 02:10 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheephunter View Post
My dog goes for a walk to the dog park...in the mountains, it's all business and he's just another tool I'm in total control of. At a little over 18 months he's had several dozen bear encounters. Nothing too exciting though thankgoodness. I like to credit the good outcomes to him being there....he does too!
Sounds like a great dog! What does he do when he sees a bear? A bear with cubs? What do the bears do when they see him?
Old 02-18-2011, 02:12 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okotokian View Post
I'm taking my mutt out on the West Bragg Creek ski trails this weekend, off-leash. I'm sure I'll get a couple dirty looks, but it's legal.
Cool, I dont have a dog but i'm going coyote hunting this weekend
Old 02-18-2011, 02:23 PM
sheephunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deer Hunter View Post
Sounds like a great dog! What does he do when he sees a bear? A bear with cubs? What do the bears do when they see him?
His body language is a great indicator when something in near. He's a pretty happy go lucky dog most of the time but when a bear is near, he gets very serious and will growl if it's close. If a bear advances toward us, he will bark.
So far, with any of the very close bear encounters we've had, the bear either froze or took off when he barked. When he barks, you know it's time to be worried. We hunted with him for two weeks in the Yukon last year and I know I slept very soundly every night with him on guard. He only barked once. A bear was in camp. It took off when he barked. I gave him a cookie

For people that aren't familiar with pack dogs I can understand their skepticism....kind of like people that don't appreciate the value of a good bird dog I guess. People are typically afraid of anything new like this and it's understandable when they've never had the exposure to pack dogs. Like I say, it's too bad more people couldn't spend a week or two in the mountains with a pack dog because I guarantee they'd understand then.

Last edited by sheephunter; 02-18-2011 at 02:40 PM.
Old 02-18-2011, 02:26 PM

The only proposal that I don't agree with,is the transfer of priority points.Everyone should have to wait, with no shortcuts.
Old 02-18-2011, 03:03 PM

As many of you know, I am one in favor of the use of a pack dogs. sheephunter, to add a little more to your statement on what a dog does when a bear is near, I have found that many dogs will alert you in similar ways as a horse would. They will generally stop and become very focused on the problem. They will zone in on the bear with their senses of sight, sound, and smell. If the my dog is felt threatened he will also bark or growl when he doesn't like something such as a bear.

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
The only proposal that I don't agree with,is the transfer of priority points.Everyone should have to wait, with no shortcuts.
Oh boy I really hate to agree with you, but yeah I don't gree with this one.
Here is what I had to say in another thread about this resolution:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockymtnx View Post
My thoughts are it would create a lot problems.....
1. Would it be right for me to use up my 8 years priority and hunt antelope in 2012. Then in 2013 transfer my grandpas 9 years priority hunt them again. Then in 2014 transfer my grandpas lodge buddies priority and hunt them again? This could be a vicious circle.
2. Even though the resolution mentions, "This would be a simple transfer and not a sale or barter" how do you stop money from being involved. Money talks and suddenly I could see some folks with some high priorities. It would be a case of where people with money could advance and have more hunting opportunities than the average Joe.

www.dmoa.ca

Pro Staff member for:
Benelli, Sako, Beretta, Tikka, Franchi, Burris, & Steiner
Old 02-18-2011, 03:42 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okotokian View Post
Only dirty looks will come if puppy messes up the x-country ski trail tracks.

I am sure that no Outdoorsmen forum member would deliberately ruin ski trail tracks, would they? We don't like people harassing us when we hunt, and some of us don't like our x-country ski trails ruined either.

It's kinda the same thing, if you think about it.
Old 02-18-2011, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by avb3 View Post
Only dirty looks will come if puppy messes up the x-country ski trail tracks.

I am sure that no Outdoorsmen forum member would deliberately ruin ski trail tracks, would they? We don't like people harassing us when we hunt, and some of us don't like our x-country ski trails ruined either.

It's kinda the same thing, if you think about it.
He's a brittany and not that heavy (<40 lbs), plus I would expect those trails to be pretty heavily used and packed. I don't think his prints will ruin anything. He's gonna be off in the woods half the time anyways. I'll have his e-collar on to keep him coming back. And if by "mess" you mean poop, yes, will have bags with me. Always do. I hate that sort of thing myself. You leave messes in places, expect dog restrictions to follow.
Old 02-18-2011, 03:55 PM

You don't have to be a member of a club to join the AFGA. You can join as a member at large if you prefer. You still get all the perks 10% off etc. card, insurance and all the good stuff. This is the route I went HunterDave as you're right, politicing happens. The magazine keeps you somewhat informed as the Executive give briefs. From what I've seen of your interests and posts its worth your looking into.
Old 02-18-2011, 05:07 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by bagwan View Post
You don't have to be a member of a club to join the AFGA. You can join as a member at large if you prefer. You still get all the perks 10% off etc. card, insurance and all the good stuff. This is the route I went HunterDave as you're right, politicing happens. The magazine keeps you somewhat informed as the Executive give briefs. From what I've seen of your interests and posts its worth your looking into.
Thanks for the info, I'll have a look into it. I'm not concerned with any perks though. I think that AGFA is a great organization but I just don't need the BS and there are some types of people that I can just do without. Being in a small town I expect that some members would be asking me why I wasn't out helping with the kid's fishing derby, etc. I've dedicated my entire adult life to making the world a better place and at this point I'd just like to enjoy a little freedom. Perhaps what you mentioned would be good for me to look into. Thanks!