Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 03-17-2024, 01:13 PM

Default Camera/photography?

Can anyone suggest a good camera for taking wildlife photos for a beginner? Something with a decent telephoto lens. Nothing too complicated. Looking to get into photography but not sure where to start. Thank you for your help.
Old 03-17-2024, 02:26 PM

I have the Nikon P900. It takes great photos, but I don’t think they make it no more. I would check out the Nikon P1000 that takes even better pictures.
Old 03-17-2024, 03:28 PM

Do you have a spotting scope?

You could also look at the adapters for attaching the camera to it. Just as an option if you have a spotter.
Old 03-17-2024, 08:26 PM

Personally, I would look at a bridge camera. They are an all in one camera that does everything good enough for what you are looking for.

I had a Canon SX50 (now the SX70) and it was a great little camera until it died . Motor that drove the zoom quit.

I now have a Panasonic DC-FZ82 and it is another great camera. I think it is discontinued and the DMC-FZ330

Go look at them from a camera shop and see what fits for you. There is some good choices out there.

Cheers

SS
Old 03-18-2024, 09:29 AM

I agree with SS about the All in One cameras,
I have the Panasonic Lumix FZ300. It works well for me, One lens does all. It takes Video.
Old 03-18-2024, 09:46 AM

We received a Canon Rebel T3i as a wedding gift about 10 yrs ago and we purchased a low cost telephoto lens for it.

It has been great and still takes excellent (from our amateur perspective) pictures. I would recommend getting something like that as opposed to the all in one cameras. I also have one of those, but if we want to take nice pictures we use the Canon.

I think if you want to be able to take wildlife photos a proper telephoto lens is a must.
Old 03-18-2024, 01:32 PM

Default Camera

Depends on if you want to carry a bridge point and shoot or something you can change lenses.
The pros for the bridge camera are smaller and lighter with big to ridiculous size zoom lenses but typically a smaller sensor so image quality suffers in the lower light conditions.
The pros for changeable lens cameras are better image quality but they are bigger, heavier and costlier.
I work at McBain in Red Deer. Call me at 403-341-5885 either Wednesday or Thursday this week and we can discuss it. (I'm out of the store the rest of the week.)

Hank
Old 03-18-2024, 04:00 PM

I have an older Panasonic Lumix FZ and really like it. It is a 100 I believe with a Leica lens. Shoots awesome low light or poor light pictures. There is a ton of info on YouTube.
Old 03-18-2024, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HBroomfield View Post
Depends on if you want to carry a bridge point and shoot or something you can change lenses.
The pros for the bridge camera are smaller and lighter with big to ridiculous size zoom lenses but typically a smaller sensor so image quality suffers in the lower light conditions.
The pros for changeable lens cameras are better image quality but they are bigger, heavier and costlier.
I work at McBain in Red Deer. Call me at 403-341-5885 either Wednesday or Thursday this week and we can discuss it. (I'm out of the store the rest of the week.)

Hank
Best advice right here