Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 03-09-2024, 07:55 PM

Default Porter Airlines

Anyone ever flown with them?

Wife booked a family trip to Orlando, I’ve never flown with them so unsure of their rep.
Old 03-09-2024, 08:55 PM

Best airline I’ve ever flown with.

Free carryon luggage , free snacks (pop, beer, wine, coffee)

I never experienced any delays but it’s flying anything can happen.

These days it’s feels like all the carriers either charge a fortune way up front or nickel and dime for everything. Porter has been a refreshing change for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 03-09-2024, 09:00 PM

My sister flew to Ottawa from Edmonton in the spring and said it was head and shoulders above Westjet and Air Canada.
Old 03-09-2024, 09:24 PM

You will like flying with Porter. I know I enjoyed them when I was flying in Eastern Canada. Used to be eastern Canada only, have expanded routes last couple of years.
Old 03-09-2024, 09:35 PM

I was booked on by my company...it is everything westjet was when they started but done right...pay the extra to sit in the 1st 3 rows for extra room and meal...if you work for a big name company make sure to work it into the convo at check in and chances are they will upgrade you if they have room
Old 03-09-2024, 09:45 PM

I must say these are not the responses I was expecting to hear but I am very happy to hear all this. I will report back when our trip is done.
Old 03-10-2024, 08:49 AM

From what I understand Porter is more of a hybrid airline a mix between Low cost And your regular airline like Westjet or AC.
We just flew WJ yesterday and to me it was ultra low cost with a big ticket price, one pop or water with a tiny cookie or 6 pretzels and no entertainment.
And they even delayed for an hour.
Not worth it in my opinion.
It makes flair look good.
But I heard Porter is good.
Old 03-10-2024, 03:32 PM

They have great service and reasonable prices
Not particularly comfortable, your backside will not thank you and don't book any long trips if you're over six feet tall.
Old 03-10-2024, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundog57 View Post
They have great service and reasonable prices
Not particularly comfortable, your backside will not thank you and don't book any long trips if you're over six feet tall.
I never heard of them until recently, but with the failure of a couple of the other low cost carriers, good to know there's still an option. I always figure my fare has to at least cover my share of the gas it takes to get there.

Isaiah 5:8
Old 03-10-2024, 07:07 PM

Porter started as a short haul commuter airline flying out of the Billy Bishop airport in Toronto. One of its great attractions was not having to experience Pearson. It is more a combination of charter and short haul than budget airline. Their sweet spot was flights under an hour and a half without long airport lines and the like. They also offer very good service and flexible arrangements. I did not find their planes any less comfortable than westjet or air Canada.
Old 03-11-2024, 08:38 AM

Flew with them last summer, Halifax to Edmonton. Great airline, would fly with them again. They even let us check in a coleman cooler of fish and lobster for free.
Old 03-11-2024, 08:51 AM

Their jets are Embraer (Brazilian) E195-E2. Nice jets. Bring your tablet or laptop to link to their entertainment media as there are no screens on seat backs in front of you.
Old 03-14-2024, 08:35 PM

The Embraer E Jets that Porter uses are just to small for the longer duration flights, under 2hrs yeah they are ok, anything over that, no thanks.

Family down east use them all the time for short hops into the northeast US cities.

Last year family member flew from Toronto to Edmonton via Porter and also commented that the plane was to cramped for a 4hr flight.

I flew on the Embraer E190 a few times when Air Canada had them in their fleet, like I said to cramped for 4 hour flight and I was in business class!
Old 03-16-2024, 09:02 AM

I've been flying back and forth from Edm to Toronto with them monthly for more than a year now. Great service, nice snacks, and you can enjoy a beer for free during the flight!! But I would recommend booking a seat with the extra space, rows 5 to 8 I think it is......Would definitely recommend.
Old 04-09-2024, 07:16 PM

Default Update

On our last flight home with Porter. Gotta say they were pretty decent to travel with.

Pros:
1. Free wifi, good wifi too which was great with 3 kids
2. Flight attendants were always polite and professional looking
3. Free drinks(wine beer pop) and snacks, come through 2x during a 3 hour flight. 4-5 options for snacks
4. Cost. We did family of 5 to Orlando, stop in Ottawa each way(less than 2 hours), plus hotel literally 10 mins from Disney parks and it was $2800 all in. That is a steal of a deal. I looked at the room cost half way through and it was $510/night on the weekend alone.

Cons:
1. A little tight, my 6’ 3” daughter struggled with leg room as did my wife who isn’t much shorter. But honestly they complain about leg room in any vehicle.
2. Limited flights out of Calgary. But if you don’t mind connecting to me it’s worth it.

I’m actually posting this from our last flight to Calgary. I like it. Been able to do whatever I want streaming or surfing.
Old 04-09-2024, 08:02 PM

Real time good info. Thanks!

You can, you should, & if you're brave enough to start, you will. Stephen King
Old 04-10-2024, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleddawg View Post
On our last flight home with Porter. Gotta say they were pretty decent to travel with.

Pros:
1. Free wifi, good wifi too which was great with 3 kids
2. Flight attendants were always polite and professional looking
3. Free drinks(wine beer pop) and snacks, come through 2x during a 3 hour flight. 4-5 options for snacks
4. Cost. We did family of 5 to Orlando, stop in Ottawa each way(less than 2 hours), plus hotel literally 10 mins from Disney parks and it was $2800 all in. That is a steal of a deal. I looked at the room cost half way through and it was $510/night on the weekend alone.

Cons:
1. A little tight, my 6’ 3” daughter struggled with leg room as did my wife who isn’t much shorter. But honestly they complain about leg room in any vehicle.
2. Limited flights out of Calgary. But if you don’t mind connecting to me it’s worth it.

I’m actually posting this from our last flight to Calgary. I like it. Been able to do whatever I want streaming or surfing.
Glad to hear it worked out so well for you too. Really is nice to go back to the old, civilised, flying. I used to love to fly places back in the day. There was a time when the upper deck of a 747 was a lounge. Could sit and have a drink, play cards, chat with other passengers. Even in economy they served quality food and beverages. Shoulder and leg room was far better back then too. These days, they have upped the passenger count by 25% on planes of the same size by squeezing the seats together.

Business or First Class was beyond decadent. Business Class today barely makes it to the level of the old Economy. I sure hope we get a few more Porter type airlines or that Porter buys some larger planes.
Old 04-10-2024, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean2 View Post
Glad to hear it worked out so well for you too. Really is nice to go back to the old, civilised, flying. I used to love to fly places back in the day. There was a time when the upper deck of a 747 was a lounge. Could sit and have a drink, play cards, chat with other passengers. Even in economy they served quality food and beverages. Shoulder and leg room was far better back then too. These days, they have upped the passenger count by 25% on planes of the same size by squeezing the seats together.

Business or First Class was beyond decadent. Business Class today barely makes it to the level of the old Economy. I sure hope we get a few more Porter type airlines or that Porter buys some larger planes.
Yup. Back on WestJet today off to work and staff def less friendly and professional. Crammed in a tin can. And about to take off so no wifi. I’ll def be looking towards porter for any upcoming holidays. Just need to upgrade to emergency exit for the wife and daughter, boys won’t be far behind before they need the leg room. My stubby legs will be good in the row behind them. lol.

Oh and I can’t post and fly. Lame. Lol