Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 02-13-2022, 07:21 AM

Default Custom Rifle. Parts Sourcing?

Where does a guy start shopping for parts? How do you know which trigger will marry up to what actions. Same goes for barrels? Detachable magazine, or hinged floor plate?
Is it cheaper then buying guaranteed sub MOA rifle? Switch barrel? Can you switch calibres with a switch barrel like go from a .222 to a .243

Last edited by Off in the Bushes; 02-13-2022 at 07:45 AM.
Old 02-13-2022, 07:28 AM

First of all ,what cartridge (s) do you want to source a platform for ?

Gotta start somewhere.
Old 02-13-2022, 07:35 AM

Was thinking of some of the varmint calibres .22 As far as a platform. I have no idea what is good, better or best. I am open to all and anything as I’m just looking to see the rough cost.
Old 02-13-2022, 07:56 AM

Jumping down the custom rabbit hole is a very fun, frustrating at times, expensive proposition!
However, if a person wants a particular , unique riifle that they are proud of, there is no reason not to as long as one realizes the time and money needeed to get it done.
Some gun owners don't care as long as they have an accurate rifle for what thheyy want to do.
Others cannnot live with "off the rack" and must tinker and customize to their needs and wants.
Still others think that unless you have a custom built rifle, you are shooting something of less quality or status.

As far as parts suppliers go, many of the guys I used to deal with are out of business because they are no longer with us, other guys rely on the network of friends and the internet for parts and info.
Like Salavee sated, figure out your cartridge and thhe action you wannt to start with, and make a list, then start asking questions on parts.
Next step is to find a gunsmith who can or wil accomadate you.
Some don't care as long as you have money, others won't work on certain types of action because they cannot , are not set up for it, or simply do not want to commit the time.
HOWEVER, a good gunsmith will be able too tell you where to source yoour parts from if they cannot supply them themselves.
Cat
Old 02-13-2022, 08:12 AM
Banned

What’s your budget?

I did a custom rifle last year off of a bighorn action
I can swap the bolt faces in just a couple min
So I had 5 different barrels chambered on my action and I can shoot anything from a 22 creedmoor up to a 338 Sherman short mag

Barrels can be threaded and chambered to most action for roughy $450
But a perk with a custom action is that the threads are timed
So you can order prefit barrels and install them yourself. You don’t need a gunsmith

Remington 700 based actions have by far the most available aftermarket accessories and parts
Old 02-13-2022, 08:15 AM
Banned

Prepare to spend weeks on the internet searching, comparing etc
Old 02-13-2022, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marky_mark View Post
What’s your budget?

I did a custom rifle last year off of a bighorn action
I can swap the bolt faces in just a couple min
So I had 5 different barrels chambered on my action and I can shoot anything from a 22 creedmoor up to a 338 Sherman short mag

Barrels can be threaded and chambered to most action for roughy $450
But a perk with a custom action is that the threads are timed
So you can order prefit barrels and install them yourself. You don’t need a gunsmith

Remington 700 based actions have by far the most available aftermarket accessories and parts
Does Bighorn have dealers in Alberta ,Mark?
Cat
Old 02-13-2022, 08:44 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnthehat View Post
Does Bighorn have dealers in Alberta ,Mark?
Cat
I got mine from Gary eakin in bc
Old 02-13-2022, 08:48 AM

Quote:
I got mine from Gary eakin in bc
Thanks.
Cat
Old 02-13-2022, 09:04 AM

I can almost guarantee a custom job will cost you a lot more than sourcing a good used rifle in the cartridge you finally settle on .. like a .22-250 for eg.

If your budget is somewhere around $2000 I would look for a used rifle with a good action for cheap, as all you want is the action. Next , you can have great barrel made locally, add around $500.00 CDN. Maybe a new Boyds stock, add $300. Finding a good 'smith to chamber,bed and install on a stock of your choice add another $800.00. Maybe a new trigger add another $275.00 Then comes a scope add.. ??
So there you go.. Complete rifle $1875,00, plus the cost the of original donor rifle. It can go up from there pretty fast, so be careful.

The best option is to find a pristine used rifle you really like, in the caliber you want for p'bly less than $1000.00. Unless you're really stuck on having one built, this is likely the best bet, in my opinion.

Last edited by Salavee; 02-13-2022 at 09:14 AM.
Old 02-13-2022, 01:44 PM

Prophet river is selling some actions.

Some smiths will order everything you need.

Gary at bighorn sales sells all the parts and then have a smith put everything together.

Most people are using Remington based custom actions.

For semi custom, There are Winchester actions used commonly, as well as sako and weatherby and tikka actions and factory Remington 700s. And savage too.

You can put a new stock and barrel on most everything.
Personally I’d choose a 700 based design with a triggertech to start.

Custom rem 700 actions start at
Defiance
Stiller
Borden
Bat machine
Terminus
Curtis
Impact
Lone peak
Atlas
Bighorn
Surgeon
Old 02-13-2022, 03:50 PM

Default Custom rifle costs

My buddy just put together a 6.5 saum (6.5 GAP) based on parts from Bighorn. Expect a Defiance action, bottom metal, carbon barrel, triggertech special trigger and AG composites stock to run you $5.5-6K, depending on your action choice. Add in at least $5-600 for gunsmith time.
Old 02-13-2022, 04:44 PM

Wanted to add,

For remington based actions, you also have
Ks arms
Ultimatum
Bergara as a factory option
ATRS
Cadex
PGW

I believe….

Barrels there’s a handful of Canadian manufactures
Jury barrels, ks arms and IBI are the Canadian ones I hear the most of. KS barrels are used by the Canadian F Class team.

Then you have benchmark that Gary sells in BC and then a few smiths and others import Kreiger, Bartlein, proof, hawkhill, hardy etc.

Go big also sells a bunch of parts

For Remington bottom metal there are basically a few main players.

The largest is probably Hawkins. You can use a M5 inlet and they have a few options for hunting and detachable magazine. You also have kS arms bottom metal which is Canadian, apa rtg. Badger and a few others. The m5 shape is universal so it fits on any stock for the m5 and works with any of the above mentioned actions.

For stocks, you have Boyd’s which does wood and laminate stocks, for fibreglass, the main players are McMillan, Wildcat which is Canadian, Ag composites and manners. Then you have chassis rifles and there’s a few main suppliers. KRG, MDT which is Canadian, and MPA, Cadex which is Canadian as well and a few others.

Triggers, most look at Triggertech which is Canadian and no reason to look further than a triggertech. Timney or Jewell were much more popular prior to triggertech. Bix n Andy. Riflebasix and some others…

So as you can see, most people build off an action that is the based off the Remington 700 size because most everything can be swapped.

Now you have winchesters and many other actions as well which you can build off and many of these custom builds would utilize some stock parts while you upgraded others such as stock upgrades, trigger upgrades or barrel upgrades. Savage used to be more common but I think Tikka has sort have taken over in that department.
Old 02-14-2022, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Off in the Bushes View Post
Where does a guy start shopping for parts? How do you know which trigger will marry up to what actions. Same goes for barrels? Detachable magazine, or hinged floor plate?
Is it cheaper then buying guaranteed sub MOA rifle? Switch barrel? Can you switch calibres with a switch barrel like go from a .222 to a .243
Triggers are the easiest to match up.

Figure out the action you want to use, as there are numerous excellent actions out there. Next figure out the stock. The stock will give you the necessity to figure out which bottom metal.

Once you have your action, you can find a smith to spin one on, or you can go with a pre fit, on most actions now.

I had a 6.5 PRC built last year. Defiance action, XLR stock (no bottom metal required), detachable mags, Proof carbon barrel.

In the works of building a Rim X 22 rifle. Stock I have, barrel I ordered an IBI carbon, and will just need mags and action.
Old 02-14-2022, 10:57 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallz View Post
Triggers are the easiest to match up.

Figure out the action you want to use, as there are numerous excellent actions out there. Next figure out the stock. The stock will give you the necessity to figure out which bottom metal.

Once you have your action, you can find a smith to spin one on, or you can go with a pre fit, on most actions now.

I had a 6.5 PRC built last year. Defiance action, XLR stock (no bottom metal required), detachable mags, Proof carbon barrel.

In the works of building a Rim X 22 rifle. Stock I have, barrel I ordered an IBI carbon, and will just need mags and action.
I have one of them also
Haven’t tried it yet
I think gobig in Prince George has the actions in stock

That xlr would only take 5 min to swap actions and then it’s exactly the same size and feel as your hunting rifle. Lol because it’s the exact same stock
Old 02-14-2022, 05:07 PM

Quote:
I have one of them also
Haven’t tried it yet
I think gobig in Prince George has the actions in stock

That xlr would only take 5 min to swap actions and then it’s exactly the same size and feel as your hunting rifle. Lol because it’s the exact same stock
I bought a 3.0 version of the XLR magnesium stock, and before I had the rest of the rifle I noticed that they came out with the 4.0 version with integrated acra rail.

I tried selling the 3.0, to no avail, so decided to just build a "cheaper to shoot" trainer in 22 lr.

So they will almost be perfect twins.

Yep, go big has actions in stock. As funds allow, it will be a quick purchase. Just now to sell my 300 wm to fund the rest of the 22, so I can get the action and scope on the way.

That said, Go Big has a few options for barreled actions in stock, depending on the caliber you choose. He carries a few options for stocks as well. A good way to save some time for the build.
Old 02-14-2022, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Off in the Bushes View Post
Was thinking of some of the varmint calibres .22 As far as a platform. I have no idea what is good, better or best. I am open to all and anything as I’m just looking to see the rough cost.
I think the new RimX platform in the new 17WSM would be a neat one to look at for varmint shooting.