Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 02-13-2022, 06:08 PM

Default Where I am wrong? Gun shooting too low

Got sako 85 in 300 and installed 20 MOA pic rail in it from
P&D store. (Very expensive rail)
Then install Burris eliminator scope on pic rail
Objective lense of scope is about .8” higher over barrel. (I know it should be closer to barrel).
Shot at 25 yards and I am shooting 6 inches below Point of aim.
Ran out of elevation up/down in my scope turrets.
I am trying to bring the cross hair DOWN to match with bullet holes.
I am out of clicks. (I am repeating myself here to make it clear)

I used 10 MOA little piece that comes with scope to elevate the FEONT of scope but no use
Then I used 30 MOA piece that came with scope and I am still shooting 6” LOW at 25 yards

Helps me please. I have over $5000 invested in it.

Thanks
Old 02-13-2022, 06:14 PM

Do you have the rail on half around out? As in switch it end for end.
Old 02-13-2022, 06:18 PM

Quote:
I used 10 MOA little piece that comes with scope to elevate the FEONT of scope
Elevating the front of the scope will make the point of impact lower. And if the point of impact is too low, you adjust the turret in the direction marked UP.
Old 02-13-2022, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NINJABABY View Post
Got sako 85 in 300 and installed 20 MOA pic rail in it from
P&D store. (Very expensive rail)
Then install Burris eliminator scope on pic rail
Objective lense of scope is about .8” higher over barrel. (I know it should be closer to barrel).
Shot at 25 yards and I am shooting 6 inches below Point of aim.
Ran out of elevation up/down in my scope turrets.
I am trying to bring the cross hair DOWN to match with bullet holes.
I am out of clicks. (I am repeating myself here to make it clear)

I used 10 MOA little piece that comes with scope to elevate the FEONT of scope but no use
Then I used 30 MOA piece that came with scope and I am still shooting 6” LOW at 25 yards

Helps me please. I have over $5000 invested in it.

Thanks
you say you're elevating the front of scope to make it shoot higher???
Old 02-13-2022, 06:28 PM

What rings are on the rifle?

The height the scope is above the barrel doesn’t matter.

I assume you have the rail running the proper direction.

If your bullets are hitting low. You adjust the scope UP to raise the bullets. Are you adjusting the scope down? 6” low at 25 yards is 2ft or roughly 24moa at 100 yards.
Old 02-13-2022, 06:34 PM
Banned

You don’t chase the bullet holes with a scope like you would with a bow
If your hitting low, you need to go up like everyone is saying
Old 02-13-2022, 07:41 PM

Start over again, and right off the bat check your rail.
I have a 20 MOA rail that is actually stamped backwards!!
To explain it easy, the higher ( thicker end )end of the rail should be on the back near the trigger .
Now, after everything is checked and correct, get to the range and at 200 meters bore sight through the rifle barrel , center the scope reticle on the target when the bore is also lined up with the target .
Shoot yor first shot , then ensuring thd gun is solid, aim at the target then move the reticle to the bullet strike, by moving the turrets while looking through the scope and your second shot should be very close to the Center on the 200 meter target . This works best with the help of a friend .
It is as easy as that.
You can do the same thing at 25 yards , but the only time I shoot that close when zeroing is when I am installing a new iron sight.
Cat
Old 02-13-2022, 07:53 PM

Have you tried moving your dial up 24 Moa ?
Old 02-13-2022, 08:31 PM

I have helped way over 50 plus people at shooting range sighting their guns at 25 yards in few years.

People don’t understand that it requires 16 clicks to move 1” at 25 yards if their scope takes 4 clicks to move 1” at 100 yards.

My sighting process is as follows and I have done it dozens of times.

I usually take a shot at 25 and without moving the gun at all, I move the cross hair to the bullet hole at 25 yards. Second shot is always on the bulls eye at 25. Then I move to 100.

Now I am 6” low at 25 and I am trying to match/place the cross hairs to bullet hole and I am out of out of elevations. ( I know I am out of my meds too)

Thanks
Old 02-13-2022, 08:34 PM

Quote:
I have helped way over 50 plus people at shooting range sighting their guns at 25 yards in few years.

People don’t understand that it requires 16 clicks to move 1” at 25 yards if their scope takes 4 clicks to move 1” at 100 yards.

I usually take a shot at 25 and without moving the gun at all, I move the cross hair to the bullet hole at 25 yards. Second shot is always on the bulls eye at 25. Then I move to 100.

Now I am 6” low at 25 and I am trying to match/place the cross hairs to bullet hole and I am out of out of elevations. ( I know I am out of my meds too)

Thanks
Perfect.
There can only be a few things wrong then
Your inserts are backwards or your rail is on backwards
Cat
Old 02-13-2022, 08:46 PM

Quote:

Thanks
The statement below shows that you really don't understand the basics of bore sighting.

Quote:
In order to move the point of impact up, you need to lower the front of the scope, or raise the rear of the scope. If the closest that you can get at 25 yards is 6" low, I suspect that the rail is reversed. The fact that you tried to raise the front of the scope, makes me suspect that even more.
Old 02-13-2022, 09:28 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnthehat View Post
Perfect.
There can only be a few things wrong then
Your inserts are backwards or your rail is on backwards
Cat
This is the most logical
Old 02-13-2022, 09:48 PM

I will get my meds in the morning once
My pharmacy opens. But until then I am thinking that….

If you want to shoot further/higher, you will bring your cross hair down, right? Then you raised your gun/scope to shoot far distance.

I had my Nightforce scope on same gun with same pic rail and with hand loads, I was able to shoot milk jugs at 915 yards with all the ballistic done by my G Seven range finder. No problem there at all. So pic rail in not backward.

Now this “Burris Eliminator lV” scope that comes with its own mounting system is giving me the hard time. May be this scope is designed differently…. It does the rangfinding for you and there is a ballistic calculator built in it.

I really appreciate all of you senior experienced people advices but I am having trouble undertaking this simple concept all of a sudden.
Old 02-13-2022, 10:28 PM
Banned

The rail should cant your scope downward
That way your using more of your scopes elevation range. Which allows you to shoot further
The eliminator has built in rings. That’s why you need a rail. The 20 moa can’t has no bearing no advantage for this scope because everything is done via the reticle
Once you zero it at whatever range the manual says. You need to input all the ballistics as accurately as possible

It wouldn’t hurt to prove or true your profile by shooting it at long range
And then changing the velocity or bc of the bullet to match your exact trajectory
Old 02-13-2022, 10:35 PM
Banned

The eliminator does everything internally
I don’t think it’s going to be as accurate as your G7 set up
But for most shooting situations it should be pretty good
Old 02-14-2022, 06:08 AM

Quote:
I will get my meds in the morning once
My pharmacy opens. But until then I am thinking that….

If you want to shoot further/higher, you will bring your cross hair down, right? Then you raised your gun/scope to shoot far distance.

I had my Nightforce scope on same gun with same pic rail and with hand loads, I was able to shoot milk jugs at 915 yards with all the ballistic done by my G Seven range finder. No problem there at all. So pic rail in not backward.

Now this “Burris Eliminator lV” scope that comes with its own mounting system is giving me the hard time. May be this scope is designed differently…. It does the rangfinding for you and there is a ballistic calculator built in it.

I really appreciate all of you senior experienced people advices but I am having trouble undertaking this simple concept all of a sudden.
To get the crosshairs to align with the bore, you need to bring the bore up to the crosshairs, and to do that, you need to reduce the distance between the front of the scope and the bore. That means lowering the front of the scope, not raising it.
Old 02-14-2022, 01:38 PM

PROBLEM SOLVED!!!

Thank you very much for your advices and time to help me out.

I removed the 30 MOA chip/part that came with scope and I was close to bulls eye at 25.

Then I moved to 70 and I was shooting high and left

Quick adjustments on turrets and I was on bullseye at 100 yards.

Very happy and now I have to make more bullets and try it out to longer distance and will validate the data entered in it.

All my life I am a Nightforce guy and every gun I have has a NF on it. This is my first eliminator scope and I like to learn about new stuff. Will keep you guys posted with results.

Thanks again.
Old 02-14-2022, 01:41 PM
Banned

Probably had an additional 30 moa plus the 20 moa rail and it didn’t have enough adjustment
Old 02-14-2022, 02:02 PM

Glad it all worked out!
Cat