Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 02-08-2022, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
I have adjusted a few recent model 70 triggers, none would adjust below 3-1/2 lbs, and one wouldn't go below 4 lbs , I don't consider that a great trigger. As far as the rifle firing when the safety is removed , that is still a dangerous situation.
That's a great weight for a hunting rifle. Only benchrest rifles should be lower than that and the m70 is not a benchrest rifle. The trigger breaks clean and crisp with no creep.

Yes, obviously that is still not an ideal situation but we all know to only disengage the safety when we're ready to fire at our target, right? If not ready to fire, the M70 allows you to unload the rifle with the safety engaged. You know, basic firearms safety. This is greatly superior to the alternative which is a trigger failure causing immediate discharge whenever.
Old 02-09-2022, 07:16 AM

Double tap
Old 02-09-2022, 07:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by savage shooter View Post
That's a great weight for a hunting rifle. Only benchrest rifles should be lower than that and the m70 is not a benchrest rifle. The trigger breaks clean and crisp with no creep.

Yes, obviously that is still not an ideal situation but we all know to only disengage the safety when we're ready to fire at our target, right?
Stating that the M70 is not a benchrest rifle and that 3.5 pounds is good for hunting rifles is a generalization nor is it correct .There is more to target shooting than bench rest matches.
Many of the M70 triggers have a lot of creep and although the basic design is good , the fact remains that many of them come with a rough trigger that is not crisp.

There are MANY match rifles out there based on Winchester M70's, and personally speaking I won't have a varmint rifle that breaks that heavy.
The last M70 match trigger I replaced would not go below 3 pounds safely and at three pounds had far too much creep in it - and yes, it was stamped MATCH .
I have also owned two M70 PALMA MATCH rifles .
Cat
Old 02-09-2022, 07:28 AM

Quote:

Yes, obviously that is still not an ideal situation but we all know to only disengage the safety when we're ready to fire at our target, right? If not ready to fire, the M70 allows you to unload the rifle with the safety engaged. You know, basic firearms safety. This is greatly superior to the alternative which is a trigger failure causing immediate discharge whenever.
Perhaps you think that a 3-1/2 to 4lb trigger is great for a hunting rifle, but myself and many other people prefer a 2-1/2-3lb trigger for a big game rifle. And the recent model 70 triggers that I have used were not all crisp and free of creep.

Personally, I prefer a safety that does not lock the bolt, so once I put the safety on, I don't have to take it off, until the rifle is unloaded, and whenever I move the safety, or cycle the action on any firearm, I practice safe muzzle control.
Old 02-09-2022, 08:06 AM
Banned

After owning a trigger tech diamond, I use them on everything
Kinda like a Frank’s red hot commercial

A 4lb trigger would suck
Old 02-09-2022, 08:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marky_mark View Post
After owning a trigger tech diamond, I use them on everything
Kinda like a Frank’s red hot commercial

A 4lb trigger would suck
Unfortenatly for M70 owners, Trigger Tech does not make one, but I have put their triggers on two Weatherbys and they are a fantastic upgrade for sure!
The trigger that Rifle Basix makes for the M70 is great however.
The common factor thatt these aftermnarket companies have is a sear engagemenbt adjusting screw , which allows for a very crisp trigger break when set up properly.
I have actually started using them more and more over other brands.
Cat
Old 02-09-2022, 12:35 PM

Hi Sogseal: FYI on an experience I had with a brand new Tikka 270.

04-19-2021, 08:00 AM
cranker cranker is online now Join Date: Jun 2007

Thumbs down

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I was at the range for the first time to properly break in and sight in my new Tikka 270 that I purchased from Bashaw Sports.
While only using factory ammunition, I had 3 mis-fires, when sliding on the safety, the gun would fire.

I stopped immediately after the 3rd time, I took off the stock, the allen screw was loose on the trigger assembly. We tightened the screw, the safety was fine and crisp, I did not shoot the rifle again.

I called Bashaw Sports first, they refereed me to Stoeger Canada. Stoeger asked me to box the gun and ship it to them at my cost or go to a local gunsmith at my cost. I went to a gunsmith and showed him what we tightened, he looked it over and said it was fine. He was also very disappointed in this overall service or response. He indicated this rifle was not properly inspected during testing and before shipping to Bashaw Sports.
I have another Tikka rifle in a 300WM that I use and have had no issues yet, this was a very scary safety issue. I had 4 witnesses watch me sight in and couldn't believe my gun was going off. Thankfully nobody was hurt.

https://www.stoegercanada.ca/
Tikka T3 Cal. 270 Win
Old 02-09-2022, 02:22 PM

Just for reference there are 2 trigger styles for the model 70 . A new one and the one from the model 70 pre 64 style which is the most common. I have had some dealings with the new style and it just a trigger , nothing special .

The old style is a simple design and can be worked over to be a very good trigger . When I say worked over I’m not talking about just adjusting the weight of pull . I am talking about working on the engagement and overtravel. This is not for the shade tree mechanic ! I use special fixture and tools to complete this .

I have worked on many many model 70 triggers ( old style ) and give them a thumbs up👍
Old 02-09-2022, 10:20 PM

Quote:
Personally, I prefer a safety that does not lock the bolt, so once I put the safety on, I don't have to take it off, until the rifle is unloaded, and whenever I move the safety, or cycle the action on any firearm, I practice safe muzzle control.
So...like the M70 safety then?
Old 02-09-2022, 10:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cranker View Post
Hi Sogseal: FYI on an experience I had with a brand new Tikka 270.

04-19-2021, 08:00 AM
cranker cranker is online now Join Date: Jun 2007

Thumbs down

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I was at the range for the first time to properly break in and sight in my new Tikka 270 that I purchased from Bashaw Sports.
While only using factory ammunition, I had 3 mis-fires, when sliding on the safety, the gun would fire.

I stopped immediately after the 3rd time, I took off the stock, the allen screw was loose on the trigger assembly. We tightened the screw, the safety was fine and crisp, I did not shoot the rifle again.

I called Bashaw Sports first, they refereed me to Stoeger Canada. Stoeger asked me to box the gun and ship it to them at my cost or go to a local gunsmith at my cost. I went to a gunsmith and showed him what we tightened, he looked it over and said it was fine. He was also very disappointed in this overall service or response. He indicated this rifle was not properly inspected during testing and before shipping to Bashaw Sports.
I have another Tikka rifle in a 300WM that I use and have had no issues yet, this was a very scary safety issue. I had 4 witnesses watch me sight in and couldn't believe my gun was going off. Thankfully nobody was hurt.

https://www.stoegercanada.ca/
Tikka T3 Cal. 270 Win
That really stinks. It does highlight the design drawbacks with that gun. If it had a "mauser style" bolt safety, the loosely screwed on trigger group which didn't allow for enough sear engagement with the firing pin wouldn't have resulted in a discharge since the safety lever on the bolt would have been holding the tension from the firing pin, not the sear. I'd suggest going for an M70 and if you feel you need a super light trigger, put an aftermarket one in. Best of both worlds.

There is, on the other hand, no aftermarket option to address the design flaw with the Tikka and similarly designed rifles.
Old 02-10-2022, 03:39 AM

To the original poster I have the same tikka and mine did the same thing. It did it right out of the box. Three times in a row it did it.
Old 02-10-2022, 04:24 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevens View Post
To the original poster I have the same tikka and mine did the same thing. It did it right out of the box. Three times in a row it did it.
how did you deal with it?
Old 02-10-2022, 07:32 AM

Quote:
So...like the M70 safety then?
No, just a two position safety like any of the model 700 clones.