Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 12-10-2010, 09:15 AM

Just remember the reticle does not stay perfectly consistent through the magnification range. SFP scopes with BDC reticles are designed to work on the highest power. Your POI at 16x is not going to be the same as your POI at 4x. I have a monarch 6-24x50 with BDC on my 223wssm but it zings them out there at nearly 4000fps and the BDC reticle isn't designed for that speed. But with anything, practice can help determine your aiming points. A FFP scope or a leupold with CDS are probably the most accurate ways to avoid holdover but then your talking $$$.
Old 12-10-2010, 09:19 AM
sheephunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CantGet Right View Post
Just remember the reticle does not stay perfectly consistent through the magnification range. SFP scopes with BDC reticles are designed to work on the highest power. Your POI at 16x is not going to be the same as your POI at 4x. I have a monarch 6-24x50 with BDC on my 223wssm but it zings them out there at nearly 4000fps and the BDC reticle isn't designed for that speed. But with anything, practice can help determine your aiming points. A FFP scope or a leupold with CDS are probably the most accurate ways to avoid holdover but then your talking $$$.
Your primary reticle stays on the same POI through all maginification ranges on any quality scope. Secondary reticles may change at different magnifcations, depending what focal plane it's on. The Rapid Z is designed to work that way. If your POI changes on the primary reticle as magnification changes, I'd be looking for a new scope.
Old 12-10-2010, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HunterDave View Post
Will do. Who's selling those?
http://vortexcanada.net/default.htm

check out the different models on there website.

The Calgary Archery Center is a vortex dealer.

I just got the 4x16x50mm with the AO (Adjustable Objective) Crossfire for my .204...love it!
Old 12-11-2010, 04:49 PM
Banned

Default Still Looking for Advice

I've already got allot of good info from the thread and I'm still mulling over my options. A few things came to mind regarding some of the scopes that were suggested.

The Zeiss Conquest is a fantastic scope. I'm just not sure that I can justify such a nice (expensive) scope for going out and shooting 3 deer a year though. Besides that, for my 3006 I'd have to buy the Rapid Z600 3.5-10 x 44 and I'm wondering if the lower power doesn't defeat the purpose of having a BDC recticle. Is 3.5-10x adequate for a 600 yd shot that the recticle is designed for? I'm currently using 14x power on my Burris for 500 yd shots. Also, is 3.5-10x power that much different from a 3 - 9x power?

The Sightron and Vortex scopes are both comparably priced to what I could get a Leupold VXII 4-12x40 LR for. I was wondering how they compared quality-wise.

All input/info is appreciated.
Old 12-11-2010, 10:42 PM

Default scope

The prices are higher, but has anyone tried these new fangled built in range finding scopes like the ones Burris is selling? One guy this fall told me his dad has one and it read within 3 yds, and he loved it. Apparently they take any guess work out of holdover.
Old 12-11-2010, 10:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by couleefolk View Post
The prices are higher, but has anyone tried these new fangled built in range finding scopes like the ones Burris is selling? One guy this fall told me his dad has one and it read within 3 yds, and he loved it. Apparently they take any guess work out of holdover.
IIRC the limitation with them is they only work to -12c or so says the manufacturer.

I could be wrong but thats why my cousin never bought the burris or bushnell last year...not sure if the zeiss has that limitation though.
Old 12-12-2010, 08:34 AM

Default rangefinder scope

thanks for that little bit of info about the temperature problems. I know my magellan gps does not like the cold either, it erased everything when i left it in the truck overnight.
Old 12-12-2010, 09:12 AM

30-06 , even with a 150 grain bullet is NOT a long range cartridge. I recommend a VX-II with LRD in 3-9x40. Higher power will just reduce your FOV and gets shaky and harder to hold. Your Leupold manual will tell you the MOA difference between the dots. Zero your rifle at any distance you want, run a ballistic program for your load (assuming you have a chronograph of course) and you can determine exactly what distance each of those dots in your LRD duplex represent. Then go to a field, set targets at those distances and try it. Just remember that you have to be at the highest scope setting for the LRD to work. If you are not, you have to ratio the MOA directly to the scope magnification ratio to the highest power. It does work and it feels good when your physics matches with the real world. What would we do without engineers, eh?

CH
Old 12-12-2010, 09:43 AM

:
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheephunter View Post
Yup, I remember 8-tracks, typewriters and cell phones that looked like bricks with an atenna.....they all worked but thankfully we've progressed so much further
Hey.... I'm looking for a good 8 track player, mine just died, preferrably an underdash.... I don't have anyway to play my Boney M x-mas tape
Old 12-12-2010, 10:17 AM

Quote:
The Zeiss Conquest is a fantastic scope. I'm just not sure that I can justify such a nice (expensive) scope for going out and shooting 3 deer a year though. Besides that, for my 3006 I'd have to buy the Rapid Z600 3.5-10 x 44 and I'm wondering if the lower power doesn't defeat the purpose of having a BDC recticle. Is 3.5-10x adequate for a 600 yd shot that the recticle is designed for? I'm currently using 14x power on my Burris for 500 yd shots. Also, is 3.5-10x power that much different from a 3 - 9x power?
Things I've noticed - the better quality glass will provide a better image. I have a pair of 8x32 khale binos and a decent pair of 10x50 bushnell bino's. The khales bino's make the image look closer and bigger and more clear even though it has 2 less power.

I have a 4.5x14 scope and when shooting at my 12" gong at 425 yards I like 8 power. You may like more power than what the zeiss has to offer.
Old 12-12-2010, 11:11 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry D View Post
Things I've noticed - the better quality glass will provide a better image.
Yeah, that's what I'm trying to decide on. A 14x economy scope will get me a closer look at what I'm shooting at but a 10x expensive scope will have a clearer, crisper image. Hmmmm.........
Old 12-12-2010, 03:42 PM

Default scope

Have you looked at the leapold VXII Canadian addition it comes in 3x9x40 and also 3x9x50 it has a single duplex and also has the adjustible turret for the different ranges. Since you reload you can get a turret that is made for your bullet weight and caliber plus what type of powder and how much so its calibrated right to your bullet and rifle its an opinion if you want a scope that you can adjust and have confidents that when you put your crosshairs on the animal and have the turret adjusted that, that is where your bullets it going to go. Whole sale sports sells them and they go for about $600
Old 12-14-2010, 01:15 PM
Banned

Default Thank You Everyone!

I'd like to thank everyone for their opinions, suggestions and guidance on this thread. It provided me with allot of information that I might not have otherwise found on my own.

After several days of researching and searching for deals this morning I purchased a Sightron Sll 4.5-14x42mm HHR (Hunter Holdover) recticle. It cost me US$278.50 on ebay and if anyone else is interested in purchasing the same scope the seller has 2 more. Here's the link:

http://cgi.ebay.ca/Sightron-SII-4-5-...ht_9594wt_1212

I made an offer of US $255.00 and he took it so you might be able to get an even better deal.

I definitely love the Zeiss Conquest Rapid Z600 but I just couldn't justify paying that type of money for what I do. The scope that I bought is in pretty good company comparison wise so it should do just fine for me. Maybe next time around.

Thanks again and have a great day!
Old 12-14-2010, 01:32 PM

^^^^^make sure to post your observations and evaluation of that sightron scope dave....one of their scopes will probably be one of my next purchases.

Have fun at the range!!