Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 12-05-2017, 07:26 PM

Default Savage rifle explodes!

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...d-hunters.html

Hunter sues gun-maker Savage Arms claiming they KNEW about defect that caused rifle to explode and cause serious injuries to his hand and face

By Associated Press
13:46 EST 05 Dec 2017, updated 20:56 EST 05 Dec 2017
+5
comments
Latest From MailOnline

One of the nation's largest rifle makers is accused of marketing a muzzleloader that occasionally explodes and can severely injure hunters
Several hunters say they have been injured over the last decade when a rifle made by Savage Arms unexpectedly exploded upon firing
The company has faced several lawsuits over its 10ML-II stainless steel rifle, which was once favored by thousands of big game hunters in the U.S.
A lawsuit alleges Savage knew about the defect when the model was available between 2006 and 2013
The company says the exploding barrels must have been caused by hunters using the rifles incorrectly
WARNING: GRAPHIC CONTENT
It was the opening day of deer hunting season, and Ronald Hansen says he loaded his rifle the same way he had countless times before, aimed at a target and fired a shot.

This time, the gun barrel exploded, knocking the farmer from Hampton, Iowa, backward, severely damaging his right hand and ear and burning his face.

Unknown to Hansen, the manufacturer of the rifle that injured him in 2014 had received other complaints of explosions and injuries over the prior decade.

Customers repeatedly reported that the barrel of the stainless steel 10 ML-II muzzleloader exploded, burst, split or cracked, according to thousands of court documents reviewed by The Associated Press.

Trent Procter of Swan River, Manitoba, shows his injured left hand months after his muzzleloader explode +5
Trent Procter of Swan River, Manitoba, shows his injured left hand months after his muzzleloader explode
Lawyers for the company, Westfield, Massachusetts-based Savage Arms, were expected to appear Wednesday in federal court in Iowa to defend against a lawsuit filed by Hansen.

He is seeking damages for his injuries, alleging the company failed to warn customers about the defect.

It's one of several lawsuits that have claimed the company recklessly kept the muzzleloaders on the market even as they kept occasionally mangling hands, damaging hearing and burning faces.

At least three have been settled on a confidential basis since last year.
Old 12-06-2017, 07:57 AM

I have 2 of these Savage ML and have fired several hundred rounds out of each with no problems at all. I’ve heard the horror story’s about barrels exploding and guys getting hurt and have to agree with Savage that 99.9% of the time it is user error, being able to load them with smokeless powder some guys figure you can use any powder which is not the case. Also guys double load them or leave the ramrod in the barrel.. they are just like any other rifle and you need to know how to use them. Mine just shot two bull moose at Wainwright last week.

Jim...
Old 12-06-2017, 08:33 AM

Default So

So your saying you don't believe there was a flaw? How would you know if your rifle is one charge away from failure or its good to go?
You must love that rifle if your willing to trade your eyes for it!
Not me, never had a rifle worth that.
It's a shame the shooters just get blamed for being incompetent, even by fellow shooters.
It wouldn't be difficult to determine what powder was used and the charge used and that will probably be what determines the case.
Old 12-06-2017, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Full Curl Earl View Post
So your saying you don't believe there was a flaw? How would you know if your rifle is one charge away from failure or its good to go?
You must love that rifle if your willing to trade your eyes for it!
Not me, never had a rifle worth that.
It's a shame the shooters just get blamed for being incompetent, even by fellow shooters.
It wouldn't be difficult to determine what powder was used and the charge used and that will probably be what determines the case.
Remember the Sako issue with that bad load of steel?
However , the difference between these two instances is that Sako went through an exhaustive recall of the affected rifles.
Cat
Old 12-06-2017, 09:36 AM

I know Trent personally, I work for the same company. He's one lucky guy after what happened to him, could've been even worse.

Trent's a good guy unfortunate that this happened. Hopefully he was compensated for all the pain he's indured due to this.

Wasn't user error. I wouldn't trust a smokeless powder muzzleloader, especially this one.
Old 12-06-2017, 09:41 AM

I've got 1000's of shots fired through my two ML's as well. No flaws that I can see. Lots of user error out there. Don't know this man or his case so I can't comment on his particular situation.

I know my Savage was proof tested. And I know that my load falls well within those pressure levels. That's more than most muzzle loader shooters can say about theirs!
Old 12-07-2017, 09:20 AM

Default Huh

I'm not sure how you "Know" it was proof tested? But proof testing only means it was good then! And this is not an uncommon test at plants.
Have you looked into the claims yet? I believe they are listing the years to be concerned with, but not certain.
If your shooting 1,000's of muzzy loads it would be worth a look maybe.
Old 12-07-2017, 02:23 PM

North America does not not require proof testing for any gun build. Europe now requires it for all that are sold anywhere in their jurisdiction. I am pretty sure they check the steel here, but run proof loads thru them before they leave? Nah. They may fire a few out of a batch, but even that is doubtful on most guns sold across the counter.. They check to see if they function before they leave, but, proof loads, no.
Old 12-09-2017, 09:18 AM

Been reading much recently about Kobe Steel and other Japanese manufacturers faking their certification on batches of metal. Where would Savage get their steel? and nowadays how can anyone one trust certification in any case?