Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 12-05-2017, 02:37 PM
Banned

Default It's come to "that" time. Done with hunting.

I mean big game, deer, moose, elk and ungulates generally speaking. Nothing to do with any sort of negativity guys, I do like to read your success stories, your pictures, etc. But for me, I'll still be purchasing hunting licenses to hunt upland. I'll continue to shoot gophers and coyotes. But I'm done with big game. I read an article many moons ago in "Field & Streams" which pretty well describes my progression as an outdoorsman as I get older. When I read it in my 20's, I figured "no way", I'll never quit. Guess what? they were right. Well, my knees and some arthritis has me thinking that I'm no longer a worthy participant in what I deem to be "fair chase". Thus, I will hang my hunting guns. Luckily for me though, I've come to really appreciate target shooting in so many aspects. Silhouette small and large bore. Benchrest and F class, Sporting Clays, etc. For myself, I don't see this as a downgrade, quitting, but more as a transition in my life's path and desires.
Old 12-05-2017, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gitrdun View Post
I mean big game, deer, moose, elk and ungulates generally speaking. Nothing to do with any sort of negativity guys, I do like to read your success stories, your pictures, etc. But for me, I'll still be purchasing hunting licenses to hunt upland. I'll continue to shoot gophers and coyotes. But I'm done with big game. I read an article many moons ago in "Field & Streams" which pretty well describes my progression as an outdoorsman as I get older. When I read it in my 20's, I figured "no way", I'll never quit. Guess what? they were right. Well, my knees and some arthritis has me thinking that I'm no longer a worthy participant in what I deem to be "fair chase". Thus, I will hang my hunting guns. Luckily for me though, I've come to really appreciate target shooting in so many aspects. Silhouette small and large bore. Benchrest and F class, Sporting Clays, etc. For myself, I don't see this as a downgrade, quitting, but more as a transition in my life's path and desires.
I'm not there yet but I've been thinking like that when I'm not feeling good .this year was a good year hundred percent healthy last year not so much, got a few more hunts I want to go on with my son Antelope next year maybe caribou

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
Old 12-05-2017, 02:57 PM

I used to hunt big game for a full month every year, but over the years I have hunted big game less and less. Last year, I never bought a tag, and this year, I drew pronghorn and moose, and so far have hunted one day for my pronghorn, and am only committing three days maximum for my moose. On the other hand, I am hunting much more upland birds than before, and this year I started hunting waterfowl again.

Last edited by elkhunter11; 12-05-2017 at 03:16 PM.
Old 12-05-2017, 03:03 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 35 whelen View Post
I'm not there yet but I've been thinking like that when I'm not feeling good .this year was a good year hundred percent healthy last year not so much, got a few more hunts I want to go on with my son Antelope next year maybe caribou

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
Dont' feel bad, it happens to all of us but a few. As a result of my decision, my beloved .444 Marlin will soon be up for sale. I just gotta go through the "separation anxiety" first.
Old 12-05-2017, 03:11 PM

I haven't hunted big game for a number of years. Because of arthritis my pheasant hunting has gone down this year. Fewer days, and the most I can handle is two or three hours walking. Good thing I live in prime pheasant country. Coyotes will be a challenge this year, hoping for the best, but thinking I will suffer.

Thomas Sowell
Old 12-05-2017, 03:53 PM

Smile

Quote:
Don't be too hasty! I thought the same a few years back when my Dr. didn't think anything could be done? As fate would have it, I got a second opinion and a NEW HIP. Been as good (maybe even better?) than new. Not only do I still hunt, my wife and I hike 2-3 times a week! In fact 3 weeks ago we hiked in Utah's Zion Nat'l Park - 4 days/38 miles/7000' elevation! Amazing place. The old antage "If there's a will - there's a way" still hold true! Don't give up, you just haven't found the way - yet!!!
Old 12-05-2017, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcreg View Post
Don't be too hasty! I thought the same a few years back when my Dr. didn't think anything could be done? As fate would have it, I got a second opinion and a NEW HIP. Been as good (maybe even better?) than new. Not only do I still hunt, my wife and I hike 2-3 times a week! In fact 3 weeks ago we hiked in Utah's Zion Nat'l Park - 4 days/38 miles/7000' elevation! Amazing place. The old antage "If there's a will - there's a way" still hold true! Don't give up, you just haven't found the way - yet!!!
How old are you (close not exactly), and did they give you a life expectancy of your new hip?

Thomas Sowell
Old 12-05-2017, 04:33 PM
Banned

Yvan, I’ll be there to help out with the odd roast or steak. At least until my hip can’t take it anymore. And at 37 I’m hoping that’s still a while to come yet.
That being said, I’ll try and get out for some bench rest with you over the summer. Just need to develop some loads still.
Old 12-05-2017, 05:02 PM

Gitr; I am in a very similar place.

For the last few years I cut back on the waterfowl as I can`t take the physical effort, can`t enjoy shooting from layout blinds etc. Just on the cusp of wondering what to do with a trailer and garage attic full of waterfowl gear.

Then there's the Big Game, this is likely my last year for moose as I got a 166 prairie moose with 10 priority " at 69 YOA there maybe one more prairie moose in my future if grandkids or Daughters get interested.

With regards to Deer hunting; I`m not going to get negative on the truck track around fields, folks where they had no permission to be, on Land that Landowners and I hunted, where access was restricted and there should not be truck tracks, or people, kind of took the shine off for both of us.

But what did work was the dogs n self hunted Huns (and the very very odd pheasant) close to Calgary, that was the most fun. We`d leave town at 9ish after coffee and the paper, and back by 3ish, in time to make the Ranch boss supper, tired, having met several great landowners, climbed a few small rises and walked a few fields, tried to surround and point the Huns, and had several great days. There are more of these to come if this weather holds.

in addition I did visit `My` Landowners over the past summers, and have received several invitations to bring the trailer out and help with gophers in the Canola and maybe drive the Blue truck to help (well sort of help, mostly I get in the way).

What I am telling myself is `simplify what I am doing fishing and hunting wise`. And really the most fun and enjoyable part of hunting has been the Landowners.

So that what I`m going to do.

I`m going to think about this over the next few weeks as the sausage from Max the Moose get done, and see how I feel after the deliveries to Landowners.

With regards to pervious thread about `thanking Landowners`` they all know I`ve been AA for many years so home made tokens (pickles, pepperoni etc.) are what will be delivered. And I know what is really appreciated the most is the visit and heartfelt thanks, for without them, I could not do any hunting.
Old 12-05-2017, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikergolf View Post
How old are you (close not exactly), and did they give you a life expectancy of your new hip?
I'm 62 and the life expectancy for my hip is 20 years? However, I did not elect for the more common hip replacement. Rather my issue was loss of cartilage and arthritis, so I had a hip re-surfacing - Birmingham hip. The advantage being it is a less evasive procedure AND I have the option of the more common hip replacement should this one not last?
Old 12-05-2017, 05:24 PM

Quote:
I'm 62 and the life expectancy for my hip is 20 years? However, I did not elect for the more common hip replacement. Rather my issue was loss of cartilage and arthritis, so I had a hip re-surfacing - Birmingham hip. The advantage being it is a less evasive procedure AND I have the option of the more common hip replacement should this one not last?
Thanks for that, sounds like what I have. I have never heard of a Birmingham hip, will have to look into it.

Thomas Sowell
Old 12-05-2017, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Where did you get the Birmingham hip done?

Thomas Sowell
Old 12-05-2017, 05:43 PM

For sure, sooner or later it happens! 2017 was the first year since 1955 that I haven't hunted Waterfowl. What's next I'm not sure, but as long as my health and physical ability holds up I'll try and stay with it. I can't imagine a life not looking forward to hunting or shooting at something but at 78 yrs I know that can change at any moment.
Hang in you guys. Pedal like hell until it's all taken away.
Old 12-05-2017, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
I used to hunt big game for a full month every year, but over the years I have hunted big game less and less. Last year, I never bought a tag, and this year, I drew pronghorn and moose, and so far have hunted one day for my pronghorn, and am only committing three days maximum for my moose. On the other hand, I am hunting much more upland birds than before, and this year I started hunting waterfowl again.
I still put in over two months per year on big game and my odometer just turned over 61. I'm wondering if the 'urge' goes away with age...or discouragement? Loss of interest?? Curious to hear from people that have hung up their guns.
Old 12-05-2017, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanuckShooter View Post
I still put in over two months per year on big game and my odometer just turned over 61. I'm wondering if the 'urge' goes away with age...or discouragement? Loss of interest?? Curious to hear from people that have hung up their guns.
For me I have arthritis in one foot from an accident, so climbing for sheep with a pack isn't that comfortable any more, and neither is packing out elk in rough terrain. Those were by far my favorite animals to hunt, so I just Don't enjoy big game as much. Upland hunting over a dog has become my favorite hunting, and I am enjoying waterfowl, so I am still hunting at least 30-40 days every fall.
Old 12-05-2017, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Only 57 haven't hung up the guns, still carry one around, buy tags and go wandering around in the woods. Haven't shot any big game in 15 years and only a handful of grouse in that time. Not saying I wont ever kill anything, never say never but he urgency to get up and get out there to hunt and kill something has pretty much gone, just as soon sit and watch them, maybe take a few pics. Find myself going to the range and shooting instead of hunting. Summertime I'm headed to the hills fly fishing.
Old 12-05-2017, 06:48 PM

Default tough call Yvan

I upgraded every scope I thought I needed on multiple rifles while working at WSS 6 years ago yet of the many rifles most have not been off the shelf in 5 years. I will still pop the odd gopher or coyote if they cross the homestead but my shotguns get much more use than all those rifles I thought I needed.

Last outing for me was 4 years ago for general elk with my son. He had just started an electrical apprenticeship so time off was really limited. He tagged out on a small bull the second three day weekend he could get away. I had a tag in my pocket as well as whitetail so continued to hunt with the group we had come to know in the area to the end of the season. Son has 2 children now and is in last year of apprenticeship so still not able to get any hunting time with this economy where half of his co workers have been laid off in past 2 years.
With ankle injuries I am not good to drag or pack any animal bigger than a deer out my self so just have not been going for big game. We have been 999 all our priorities but realistically I wonder how many years I have left when I know I can probably walk in 3 km in the dark but if the ankle acts up it could be a long crawl to get out. Miss it every fall telling myself even in past years I was good for the walk in and still hunted the last km or so to elevation then pretty much stayed high by not moving much once I had gained elevation. Around 4 pm I would start down the 2 hours to the truck and by the time I made it my ankles were really sore. Managed to rest overnight and do it again the next day.

Wonder if even that is possible after taking 4 years off. My son insists he will carry me up the whaleback one more time if that is what it takes. My wife doesnt want me hunting by myself in case of another injury despite one of the horse guys stating if you have a problem we will always drag you out even if it takes 2 trips. Unfortunately due to heart problems at 73 he is no longer able to hunt in there.
Old 12-05-2017, 07:02 PM

Quote:
Although i am not as beat up as some, I am not in good shape.
I turned 63 this year and fortunately for me I can still put in a "not bad " day in the bush.
Finishing off this year with a solo cow elk draw in 506.
Cat
Old 12-05-2017, 07:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
For me I have arthritis in one foot from an accident, so climbing for sheep with a pack isn't that comfortable any more, and neither is packing out elk in rough terrain. Those were by far my favorite animals to hunt, so I just Don't enjoy big game as much. Upland hunting over a dog has become my favorite hunting, and I am enjoying waterfowl, so I am still hunting at least 30-40 days every fall.
For the first 2 years after I had my hip done I had trouble carrying a pack, so rather than not going, I hired a pack guide ($200/day on average). Kinda got used to that so now I hire one whenever available! Justify it in that I'm giving an able body young person the opportunity to enjoy what they love and get paid for it. Maybe I'm just getting lazy?
Obviously, you've done a lot of hunting and know how/what/where, so I image you would have lots of offers to carry your pack in exchange for that kind of experience/knowledge!
Old 12-05-2017, 07:21 PM

Turned 63 a few months back. Had a heart attack 2 1/2yrs ago, got a complete replacement knee last year and getting the other knee replaced in June 18, after bear season.
While serving in the Military I was shot, got blown up a bit and stabbed.

NOT planning on giving up on Hunten any time soon.
It partially defines who I am and my DNA requires, no, demands that I Hunt.
Hunten keeps me active and gives me a yearly purpose, when I'm not actively out in the bush Hunten I'm either thinking about it, planning or preparing.
While I always have time for family, I ensure I always have time for Hunten, even if that means sacrifices have to be made in other parts of my life.

No. I'd give up drinking before Hunten...although that would be a tough call.
Old 12-05-2017, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Now you have to change your name..... to GOTRDUN
Old 12-05-2017, 07:49 PM

Default pack help

I love to be outdoors and it just seems right with a pack...
If any one needs a packer just pm me and see if i can help.
sounds like a wealth of knowledge to be had by a little helping hand and i would be more than will to help.
Have a great evening.
Old 12-05-2017, 08:04 PM

I'm on my 3rd or 4th come back, the last stint was game over as I thought it was going to be the last of my freedoms.

Got lucky, dam lucky indeed.

From having lots to nothing in the matter of seconds. Now I appresheate having the small things in life.

The sounds of the wilds, sights and smells that disappear behind cold hard cement walls.
We don't know what is missing once the door is locked.
If freedom arrives, we know then what its value is to us.

I have to push forward at all costs, those lost years I won't get back, so excepting value of the little things that come along are good enough.

Good luck on the continuing adventure of where it takes you or where you take it.

Don
Old 12-05-2017, 08:28 PM

Default there is a time to make stories...

...and a time to tell them. I read that same article and the last stage is making a legacy out of your wisdom by sharing it with others and teaching. Your knowledge and experience count more than anything. You will look back on your time in the bush and judge it on its merits. For me, with 6 knee surgeries before I was 37 I have reconciled that the day will likely come sooner than later. That is why I hunt the way I do. I don't ever want a blemish on those experiences where I compromised.
Old 12-05-2017, 08:33 PM

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgrimard View Post
I love to be outdoors and it just seems right with a pack...
If any one needs a packer just pm me and see if i can help.
sounds like a wealth of knowledge to be had by a little helping hand and i would be more than will to help.
Have a great evening.
There you go Elkhunter 11! Knew it wouldn't take very long!! Even as a bunch of OLD FARTS we still have a lot to offer even while were having fun!!!!
Old 12-05-2017, 09:29 PM
Banned

If you're still having a good time, that's all that matters.

My Dad is 74, 6'-4, 270lbs and will be going for knee surgery later this month because both knees are due for a retread. I bet he put on over 60 miles this November in some nastiest terrain, frozen over muskeg, blown over willows, thick tamarack, but the stubborn ol' fart wouldn't quit. We'd get back to the cabin, quick bite to eat, couple of rums, then snoring before 9:00. 4 o'clock in the morning it was like an old age home there, lights were all on and we're all wondering around the cabin waiting for legal light.

My Dad first quit hunting about 10 or 12yrs ago, he's quit every year since, LOL!

If you figure its time to move on to the next phase, I hope you enjoy the time you still get to spend a field, if you decide to go after deer again next fall it'll still be an option for you I hope.
Old 12-06-2017, 05:45 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Ahhhh you will take a break then one day when it feels right you will buy a tag and go for a walk or a sit in the bush.
Don't get ride of your shootin iron, you will regret it.
As you push on in years you just don't jump out of bed and romp around the woods from sun up to sundown, too wise for that now, we all did it, we pick and choose our time and place, got lots of toys that sit but when I get a feeling I can go from the water to the woods to the links to the campground etc all in one day or over 365 days...whatever, whenever...

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 12-06-2017, 08:01 AM

Quote:
There you go Elkhunter 11! Knew it wouldn't take very long!! Even as a bunch of OLD FARTS we still have a lot to offer even while were having fun!!!!
I am not ready to quit hunting big game entirely yet, but I don't see myself hiking in the mountains for days, or spending days sleeping on the groundin a tent or under a tarp anymore. I will hunt where I don't have to carry much gear, and where I can get a truck reasonably close to remove a carcass. This fall I took two friends on their first pronghorn hunt, and next week I am taking another friend on his first moose hunt, and I will likely try and help the same friend to get his first elk in the next year or two, but my big game hunting will be limited to short hunts, and will likely only be for a few days each year. Next year our group will spend more time hunting waterfowl, and I will make at least a trip or two in October to hunt more wild pheasants , sharptails and Huns.
Old 12-06-2017, 09:14 AM

Default Hunting

Read a interesting article few years back on the phases/evolution of a hunter. Phase 1, need to shoot everything that moves, Phase 2, need to shot only biggest trophies, phase 3, need only to be in the wilderness, enjoy the scenery, the smell of leaves, the time spent with buddies. Do not give up on the last phase to soon.
Old 12-06-2017, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Grey Wolf View Post
Read a interesting article few years back on the phases/evolution of a hunter. Phase 1, need to shoot everything that moves, Phase 2, need to shot only biggest trophies, phase 3, need only to be in the wilderness, enjoy the scenery, the smell of leaves, the time spent with buddies. Do not give up on the last phase to soon.
I was told this about 40 years ago and countered it then and was told " no,that is the way it is" I am p[roof that it is not typical.
Not everyone goes through those phases in that order or even advances like that .
Some stop for different reasons , others keep going, and some never change from a certain philosophy , ethic, or style of hunting and fishing.
Cat