Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 12-03-2017, 08:32 AM

Default Camp Wainwright 2017 Totals

The annual Camp Wainwright harvest totals. Probably against my better judgement I will do this again. This thread turns into personal attacks and I delete it.

PW season

Deer total: 93 (65 MUDE bucks/9 WTDE bucks)
Moose total: 41 (15 bulls)
Elk total: 2 (2 bulls)

Max deer hunters on one day 109/150

Seems like population and age class are improving with the mild winters. Best WTDE was around 150 class, MUDE 160 class, Moose 50" and elk 300 class.

S
Old 12-03-2017, 08:45 AM

Thanks Shed! Was wondering how it went. Hopefully there's one cow moose left with our name on it. We hunt tomorrow.
Old 12-03-2017, 12:35 PM

That’s more elk than usual in all seasons isn’t it? Looking forward to seeing what comes of this season!
Old 12-03-2017, 01:32 PM

Thanks to Shane / Delaney and their team at the desk. Great job. Also to Kim and his range patrol team.

I was in for cow moose - day 1 saw 23 deer (4 nice MD Bucks - 1 WT) and 5 bull moose, day 2 saw - 3 MD does, 4 bull moose and 3 cows - finished hunting at 9:30. Very noisy snow and animals were moving particularly MD Bucks. Every buck I saw was either following a doe or was nose to the ground
Old 12-03-2017, 01:44 PM

Wow, thats a lot of moose ! How does that compare to other years? Good luck everybody.
Old 12-03-2017, 01:58 PM

Thanks for the update Shedcrazy. I am heading down for the first time ever hunting the base for the Dec 11 season. It sounds like there are some good deer numbers this year.
Old 12-03-2017, 05:06 PM

Default Wainwright

Thanks Shedcrazy, I appreciate the information and updates. I hope to get drawn next year for the first rifle deer hunt. This is good information.
Thanks,
DaveF
Old 12-03-2017, 05:53 PM

Default Muzzleloader season

My nephew and a buddy had the deer draw for the muzzleloader hunt. Day one my nephew was by him self and seen lots of deer and moose. He got a beauty 4x4 mulie at 80 yards. Day 2 for what ever reason they seen very little in comparison. Day 3 was similar to day one. Lots of sightings and and his buddy got a 3x3 mulie and a doe. A friend of mine was also there with a buddy and they each had a cow draw. They had a couple of chances on day one and two and sealed the deal on a cow on day 3. They said the moose were very flighty as the crunchy snow sure made getting in range a challenge. Good luck to all on the remaining hunts.
Old 12-03-2017, 06:53 PM

I got my two deer on the first day. 3rd time hunting the base in 4 years but it was my first time doing the primitive weapons hunt.
Old 12-03-2017, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bellero View Post
I got my two deer on the first day. 3rd time hunting the base in 4 years but it was my first time doing the primitive weapons hunt.
Can you elaborate on how you were drawn 3 times in 4 years? Thanks
Old 12-03-2017, 08:10 PM

A few years ago I was drawn with zero priority.
I don't think 3 times in 4 years was out of the realm of possibility a few years ago, as long as you were putting in for the last seasons.
Old 12-03-2017, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sneekerp View Post
Can you elaborate on how you were drawn 3 times in 4 years? Thanks
Landowner hunt for military personnel, the base do an internal draw and the odds to be drawn are very good. They are 10 soldiers added to civilian hunters for every 3 day hunt. So 50 soldiers with 2 deer tags each in total, some years, less than 100 applicants put it in for the draw. For moose and elk, we have to do the provincial draw like anybody else.

Brigadier-General Paul brought that back for us in 2013 after it was cancelled a few years earlier due to some civilians complaining to the ministry.

He told them it was coming back or they'll be no more hunting at all for anybody on CFB Wainwright so they agreed lol.

We can also do a Land owner hunt for Elk in Suffield but can't do both Wainwright and Suffield in one year.

That's one of the perks for missing countless hunting seasons when you're deployed overseas, on course or on exercise. Being posted from province to province every 4-5 years doesn't allow to get any priority for the draw system so they came up with this.
Old 12-03-2017, 08:25 PM

Thanks Shed, a lot appreciate the info.

Thanks for your time and info.

Cheers...🍻
Old 12-03-2017, 09:36 PM

Quote:
Landowner hunt for military personnel, the base do an internal draw and the odds to be drawn are very good. They are 10 soldiers added to civilian hunters for every 3 day hunt. So 50 soldiers with 2 deer tags each in total, some years, less than 100 applicants put it in for the draw. For moose and elk, we have to do the provincial draw like anybody else.

Brigadier-General Paul brought that back for us in 2013 after it was cancelled a few years earlier due to some civilians complaining to the ministry.

He told them it was coming back or they'll be no more hunting at all for anybody on CFB Wainwright so they agreed lol.

We can also do a Land owner hunt for Elk in Suffield but can't do both Wainwright and Suffield in one year.

That's one of the perks for missing countless hunting seasons when you're deployed overseas, on course or on exercise. Being posted from province to province every 4-5 years doesn't allow to get any priority for the draw system so they came up with this.
Thanks for the clarification. Congratulations on your success!
Old 12-03-2017, 09:41 PM

First off, Thank you for your service!

Secondly I think the way they have it set up to let military personnel hunt is a great way to get our soldiers some time to hunt. The sacrifices made for all of us to live the way we do is incredible. I think there should be more opportunities such as these.

Quote:

Old 12-03-2017, 09:47 PM

Quote:

Seems very reasonable!

Thanks for the service!
Old 12-03-2017, 10:42 PM

Quote:

This is one instance where it seems like whoever is in charge of tag allocations got it right. It's not egregiously slanted towards military personnel or anything, but still offers them an excellent opportunity to hunt in an area they are familiar with as a counter measure for some of the hunting opportunities they lose as a result of serving the country.

Congrats on your harvest.

Good luck to everyone else still to go.
Old 12-04-2017, 07:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ESOXangler View Post
Seems very reasonable!

Thanks for the service!
My sentiments exactly. It's absolutely the least that we can do for the brave men and women who "go down range" on our behalf.

Thank you for your service and good hunting to all of you....
Old 12-04-2017, 08:06 AM

Quote:
Excellent approach and congratulations on your success.
Old 12-04-2017, 08:59 AM

I did not end up getting my cow moose, had opportunities but just could not close the deal, the show is really crunchy.

There is a big bull living in the south part of battle river if guys are interested seen him there 2 of three of the days, as far as I know he was not shot.

As much as I would hate to see the loss of the primitive weapons season, another good option would be a youth hunt.

It was nice to see the deer numbers and quality starting to recover from those nasty winters.
Old 12-04-2017, 09:00 AM

Thank you Shed for keeping us posted... Appreciate it...

Quote:
Originally Posted by shedcrazy View Post
The annual Camp Wainwright harvest totals. Probably against my better judgement I will do this again. This thread turns into personal attacks and I delete it.

PW season

Deer total: 93 (65 MUDE bucks/9 WTDE bucks)
Moose total: 41 (15 bulls)
Elk total: 2 (2 bulls)

Max deer hunters on one day 109/150

Seems like population and age class are improving with the mild winters. Best WTDE was around 150 class, MUDE 160 class, Moose 50" and elk 300 class.

S
Old 12-04-2017, 10:37 AM

love the idea of military guys getting opportunities on the bases. my experience is they always bent over backwards to try to let the hunters feel welcome and be successful. Great job guys.
Old 12-04-2017, 10:47 AM

X2, it's a really well run hunt, from the CF folks, the bio's and the other hunter's.
Old 12-04-2017, 01:16 PM

I was drawn for the Muzzleloader season and brought my son along. We set our goal of trying to get a mature buck and it took us until day 3. This buck is a little too mature. I would love to know his age. We were really happy to get him and it was a great hunt to share together.

Thanks very much to everyone involved in putting that hunt on. When you think of the hours that are put in by many different people to allow us to enjoy our $30 tags, you feel a bit guilty about it.

Old 12-04-2017, 03:55 PM

Great photo Chet. That's what it's all about!
Old 12-04-2017, 06:04 PM

awesome deer thanks for posting
Old 12-04-2017, 07:39 PM

Smile Great photo

The smile on your boys face says it all

and its a nice deer
Old 12-04-2017, 08:29 PM

He's fine, the rules say scarlet or blaze orange
Old 12-04-2017, 08:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chet View Post
I was drawn for the Muzzleloader season and brought my son along. We set our goal of trying to get a mature buck and it took us until day 3. This buck is a little too mature. I would love to know his age. We were really happy to get him and it was a great hunt to share together.

Thanks very much to everyone involved in putting that hunt on. When you think of the hours that are put in by many different people to allow us to enjoy our $30 tags, you feel a bit guilty about it.

What a cool old warrior ...... very unique rack. Photo says it all, thanks for sharing !!
Old 12-04-2017, 08:40 PM

Quote:

Awesome, that's the way it should be.
Glad to hear there are some good breaks for you guys.
Thanks for serving.
BR