Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 12-03-2017, 12:36 AM

Probably what he ^ said. I have never measured a rack before, but I can tell you that tip to tip is only 9 1/8 and the greatest spread (which is also the main beams spread) is 17 7/8. Maybe it gives you an idea. I would give it a try and actually measure the whole thing to settle it, but I don't even have a clue which points to count as a point and which ones are abnormal (for example the third point from the top on the right antler)
Old 12-03-2017, 06:20 PM

fishnguy

That is a very nice buck, no matter how he scores and I would also score your posts and story as very good as well
Old 12-03-2017, 07:49 PM

Congrats thanks for the story great looking deer
Old 12-03-2017, 10:19 PM

Thanks, guys! I enjoy writing it, even when nothing really happened, there is still something to write about, lol.

On a side note, I overcooked his tenderloins today Not too happy about that.
Old 12-03-2017, 11:48 PM

Congrats, nice pictures too. Inspiring
Old 12-09-2017, 12:17 AM

^ Thank you!

Finished packing this guy into the freezer yesterday. Pulled just over 30 kg net on him, including the "clean" trim (~ 3 kg) that I am going to use (and am using some as I write) for stock along with the bones.

I am still amazed on the absence of smell. His tarsals were as clean as they could be:

By the looks of it, he had not participated in this rut season and it would be interesting to find out why.

Interesting deer, that's for sure. Can't wait to mount the rack. I have already started working on the plaque
Old 12-09-2017, 05:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishnguy View Post
Probably what he ^ said. I have never measured a rack before, but I can tell you that tip to tip is only 9 1/8 and the greatest spread (which is also the main beams spread) is 17 7/8. Maybe it gives you an idea. I would give it a try and actually measure the whole thing to settle it, but I don't even have a clue which points to count as a point and which ones are abnormal (for example the third point from the top on the right antler)
Beware of the measuring tape, to this hunter there is very little point to condensing ones whole hunt down into a number. Next thing you know everyone you know has a bigger number and the general tone is that those bigger numbers mean more success. Like I told a couple guys at work when they wanted a number, the buck I shot this year scored about 15 days in the field and over 50km on foot, I'm pretty happy with those numbers.
Old 12-09-2017, 11:20 AM

I use the tip of a sharp fillet knife to work around antlers while as mentioned, you put pressure on the hide by pulling with pliers.

Friends have used those X-acto knives. Nice and tiny blade.
Old 12-11-2017, 12:29 AM

^ Thank you! I still did not get around to it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushleague View Post
Beware of the measuring tape, to this hunter there is very little point to condensing ones whole hunt down into a number. Next thing you know everyone you know has a bigger number and the general tone is that those bigger numbers mean more success. Like I told a couple guys at work when they wanted a number, the buck I shot this year scored about 15 days in the field and over 50km on foot, I'm pretty happy with those numbers.
If there is something worth measuring, then sure, why not. If someone has a bigger one, well, good for them. They probably have some story behind it too. I can't say I care much about the score of this particular buck; people seemed interested and if I had a number to give to them, I would. If some thought less of this buck because of that number, that's fine too. Can't say I really care. I know what I put into it and how it all played out at the end of the day and that's what I will remember (I hope).

Having said all that, the colour on that rack makes me smile every time I see it
Old 12-23-2017, 11:07 AM

Read about soap making and it sounded simple enough, so I made some soap using the fat of this buck (from half of it). Four weeks of curing and I will know how it worked out

Old 12-23-2017, 02:24 PM

Talking Simular buck

When you were hunting Did you see the forked G2 and think it was the other buck you have trail pictures of? Good chance they are related if they are close together.
Old 12-23-2017, 11:38 PM

When I looked at him through the binos, first thing I saw was a rack and I was surprised because, like I've already mentioned, I thought it was a doe. The rack I saw was very dark brown and I was pretty confident then that it was not the same buck. Then I saw the G2 and then that other extra point at G4 on the right side. Then I thought that he looked quite nice and I should take him. So I put my binoculars down and raised the gun, took the safety off and looked again at the rack while having crosshairs on his heart. The decision to take him was then final; I aimed, breath in, breath out, arms nice and steady, pulled the trigger. He ran. I walked out to the road and gave it a few minutes. I knew he was hit, of course I did not know if he was hit right, though I was pretty positive. The guy gave me an eternity to make things right, really. Few minutes later, I walked to the hit spot - blood, a couple of drops, but not much. I decided to give him a few more minutes. Like I mentioned, the area is pretty hilly and he was kind of on top of a small hill when I shot him. Since he ran down the hill, it looked to me like he ran into the bush and I thought I was probably in for a long dark evening. A few minutes later, I made a few steps down a deer trail he was standing on and saw more blood; and there was some a bit further out. About 20 yards out on the trail down the hill I saw more blood, as if someone was running with a spray can and spraying it along the way. That is when I knew it was a good hit and he would expire sooner rather than later. I found him lying motionless in the deep behind the next small hill. I was in that spot again a few days ago and saw that he ran at least 80 yards with pretty much no heart. I eat deer heart, but I tossed this one because there was nothing left to eat. It was a good day out (half day) and he is pretty good eating so far. Now if only the soap works out

As for the relation, there is a good chance they are related. Same area, or close enough anyway. Similarly shaped racks, same split, etc. But who knows, really. This one, the one on the trail camera photos and the other one taken there last year are the only three bucks I saw in that whole area with such big "curls" to their beams. So maybe, but I have no idea, really. If I did not run into this one by some dumb luck, I would think that there are only two with those big curls
Old 12-24-2017, 06:51 AM

Lots of character, Congrats
Old 12-24-2017, 07:30 AM

M

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk