Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 11-27-2017, 12:19 AM

Default What’s happened here?

Just thinking about in the past, and I can’t believe that in the later November there isn’t even a full page of activity in the hunting section in 24hr period, kind of depressing....I remember when there would be 3-4+ pages in a day. Why does no one post anything anymore here for the most part? And kudos to those who do.

And I don’t think it’s because of people getting bashed for what they shot, haven’t seen that for a long time and the same thing happens on Facebook anyway, lol
Old 11-27-2017, 12:48 AM
Banned

Been going that way for a few years. Used be lots of hunters, I mean the kind that went outside hunting not sat in front of the computer spewing a bunch of BS and posting links on things they know nothing about.

Their are still some very skilled hunters on here but not near as many, more political boneheads, guys posting because a cut them off, or looked mean at them, or a picture of a bandaid on their finger, or somebody hurt their feelings, way way to many on here that don't have any interest or knowledge of hunting or fishing.

Some newer members ask for help and are appreciative but some then argue instead of taking the opportunity to learn, which has stopped a lot of very knowledgeable members on here from offering their expertise.

Some of the newer members will do very little if any research on their own, and will ask specific questions on hunting or fishing areas, and then whine and pout when there told to get off their azz and do a bit of work themselves. Lazy and no respect.

It is the way of it now and has been for a few years and is why you have a lot of members constantly running down fellow hunters or landowners on here..... many just do not have any knowledge of hunting, fishing or respect for anything.

It's not just a few "bad apples" any more probably closer to 50/50 now.
Old 11-27-2017, 04:46 AM

We are worst enemy when it comes to hunting just the way I see it.
Old 11-27-2017, 05:33 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 300magman View Post
Just thinking about in the past, and I can’t believe that in the later November there isn’t even a full page of activity in the hunting section in 24hr period, kind of depressing....I remember when there would be 3-4+ pages in a day. Why does no one post anything anymore here for the most part? And kudos to those who do.

And I don’t think it’s because of people getting bashed for what they shot, haven’t seen that for a long time and the same thing happens on Facebook anyway, lol
, season is still on and thier is a 200" typical running around...

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 11-27-2017, 06:32 AM

Default Yeah

I was thinking the same thing the other day, and I believe it started decreasing after the bad winter kill 5 or 6 years ago. We're still not bad in "the good old days of hunting" yet.
Old 11-27-2017, 06:51 AM

Yup, the young are eaten and many on this site are know it alls and condescending. Far from a brotherhood.
Old 11-27-2017, 07:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildside2014 View Post
With the growth of facegroup groups like AHA, where guys that actually do spend time in the field can upload and or comment on threads in real time and with instaneous results, old platforms like outdoorsman forum are going by the wayside.

It has zero to do with 'key board warriors'. Landowner topics are productive whether you like em or not.
Yup, this is a trend everywhere. Forums like this are a dying breed. This one is still surprisingly active when compared to many others that cater to a younger crowd.

I have to say as a new member and guy just learning to hunt that forums are better for me than social media. Easier to search info and the responses you get on a forum are generally more comprehensive and thoughtful than Facebook.

But, as wildside said above, Facebook is a better platform for sharing updates and is better suited for guys who do not want to discuss the technical details and instead just want to share pics of their hunt or new gear.

I appreciate you guys that are still posting here and am good with anyone telling me to get off my ***** and into the field.

Matt

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk
Old 11-27-2017, 07:48 AM

Thank Photobucket
Old 11-27-2017, 07:55 AM

Purhaps to much in house arguing if someone says something or posts a photo.

My friends and I are hopefully keen at not putting posts of harvest on line since times are changing.
The rewards of a successful harvest is for ones self and a select few friends only.

That's what counts in our books.
At least we try to offer "suggestions or ideas" that "could" produce some kind of harvest for others.

A win win of sorts.

Sun's up, got to go, Ye Ha.

Don
Old 11-27-2017, 08:36 AM

The rewards of a successful harvest is for ones self and a select few friends only.

That's what counts in our books.

So well put Don.
Old 11-27-2017, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 58thecat View Post
, season is still on and thier is a 200" typical running around...
He’s mine. No touchy. 🤨
Old 11-27-2017, 08:51 AM

According to the statistics there has been an increase in hunters in alberta. I would suggest that a large portion of that increase can be attributed to the under 35 age bracket and posts like this one http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=332684 do nothing to encourage the 35 and under crowd to participate on this forum. As far as the older guys go, either they are busy hunting, don't care to be posting here anymore or have moved on to another platform
Old 11-27-2017, 10:09 AM

This forum is the most negative one I frequent. Every third post is a complaint about something (politcal, wildlife, other hunters, or just life in general). When mentioning this forum to others, they usually say "I just leave those grumpy SOBs to themselves. It's not much fun on there".

I use this forum because I am new to Alberta and it is helpful. But I rarely post threads. I've been on successful hunts for 5 different game animals this season (elk, WT, MD, ducks, grouse). I post stories and photos on the other forums I frequent. But it's just not worth the hassle on here.

Ps I see the irony of complaining about people complaining hahaha
Old 11-27-2017, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CF8889 View Post
This forum is the most negative one I frequent. Every third post is a complaint about something (politcal, wildlife, other hunters, or just life in general). When mentioning this forum to others, they usually say "I just leave those grumpy SOBs to themselves. It's not much fun on there".

I use this forum because I am new to Alberta and it is helpful. But I rarely post threads. I've been on successful hunts for 5 different game animals this season (elk, WT, MD, ducks, grouse). I post stories and photos on the other forums I frequent. But it's just not worth the hassle on here.

Ps I see the irony of complaining about people complaining hahaha
This....

I rarely come on here anymore for that very reason. The guys that have been here since day 1 seem to carry themselves (online anyways) like their opinion is the only one that matters. And most of those 'old boys' outfit and guide lol, which i find even more hilarious. AO is the only online resource these days where certain topics are censored regardless as to whether it goes off the rails or not. Ie: landowner threads. Theres guys on here that vouch for paid access, and then theres guys that pout when theres pushback to such a suicidal concept. Its amazing. At least theyre consistant though, as the same guys pop upon facebook groups and are the same geeks thats they are on here

Last edited by wildside2014; 11-27-2017 at 11:13 AM.
Old 11-27-2017, 11:16 AM

I guess if you don't like the rules you can start your own outdoor forum .
Old 11-27-2017, 11:19 AM
Banned

Simple solution:

1. Turn off the computer
2. Go hunting.

Problem solved.
Old 11-27-2017, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ResidentSpokesman View Post
Simple solution:

1. Turn off the computer
2. Go hunting.

Problem solved.
That works
Old 11-27-2017, 11:30 AM
Banned

Several years ago a lot of the hunting success stories posted on here were met with a lot of criticism by individuals with strong opinions about shooting does, not allowing small bucks to grow, etc, etc, etc. The same applied with fish handling in the fishing section. It got to the point that the Mods warned people who were being critical of everything and eventually banning them. That is the Mod's position now so I don't think that people sould be reluctant to share their hunting successes.

I haven't had any really interesting hunting stories to share for a few years but I have no problem whatsoever posting my hunting successes, complete with pictures. I think that most people would find me going out at last light shooting a doe or small meat buck for the freezer a little boring.

Maybe start a thread for people to post links to their all time favourite hunting threads so we can get our fix.
Old 11-27-2017, 04:14 PM

Pixels 'no negative comments in pic threads' rule was about 2 years too late. We all know that posting a doe or spike buck kill creates a negative impression here. And despite the best efforts of the mods, it still happens. This isn't exclusive to AO either, but chirp someone on Facebook and everyone knows where it's coming from.

Easy to post on Facebook, not easy to post pics here.

The anonymity factor turns some people off.

prior to those winters, we were all killing a lot of mature deer. Not near as often anymore.

Cecil

What redfrog said.
Old 11-27-2017, 05:16 PM

Default ao hunting

There are so many hunting fishing reloading gun pages on fb now its crazy but , i will not give up on AO or the wonderful people that are on here . Ya again this year my hunting season went down the drain . Time to retire damit and get on with the good things in life lol.
Old 11-28-2017, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CF8889 View Post
This right here.

Basically the stereotype that surrounds Alberta of being filled with overpaid, under educated, redneck, hillbillies who only care about their own immediate self gratification is amplified on this site.

I come here for the classifieds. And to watch the occasional train wreck.
Old 11-28-2017, 02:39 PM
Banned

I find that there are more posts abou5 being successful, accompanied by more pictures being posted on AHA. However, the knowledge bade just isn’t there. The helpfulness that is here (in some threads), just isn’t there. There are way more attitudes on AHA and nobody is wrong. Here, there are a few trouble makers for sure. Some that I can’t believe are still allowed to post here but then come out with something that really helps the question that’s really being asked.

As for the top down mentality, I totally agree. Although, where is the top here? Are there over zealous moderators here? Sure, just like any other proud or board. But the rules here are pretty simple and lax, and yet some still can’t follow them. Be polite, be respectful of each other, or deal with consequences. Agree with the decision or not, it’s not your forum and nobody is stopping any of us from starting our own.
Old 11-28-2017, 02:48 PM

Ya there sure seems to be an increase in negativity lately. Must be the end off season blues. It'll turn around soon I hope
Old 11-28-2017, 03:08 PM

I recently joined AHA on FB. Good page, lots of congrats and likes for the kids first moose, just like here. I have liked and congratulated lots there to, just like here. I have gave my opinion on help if asked here and there. And I see the same nit picking on stupid stuff over there. Someone always has to have their opinion mean more than yours, happens at work, in family and for sure on social media where you can be a keyboard troll with no worry.

This place is still pretty great if you let the crap fall by the side and don't get caught up in the troll posts. I think the mods do a pretty good job keeping the asylum running somewhat smooth. Seems like anytime I don't check in for a bit, something good happened as I see a bunch of newly suspended users and bannings. I see bb356 is gone again, too bad.

I have met some top notch gents through here, got help, gave help. AO is still a site I want to be a part of.
Old 11-28-2017, 05:58 PM
Gone Hunting

One of my first experiences with AO was being mobbed for stating a fact that I later proved.

In my time as a moderator I found that some members had became very skilled at skirting the rules and baiting other members into an argument, usually over trivial things.

And I found myself falling for that trap again and again. I finally got tired of it all and backed away.

It is no fun to have every post dissected for fuel to start an argument with. And no rule against doing just that.

But the bottom line for me is that I didn't like the way I was responding to the idiots. I was becoming one of them, I was starting to practice the art of cheap shots and I didn't like that I was doing that, so I backed away and will stay away for the most part.

I will drop by from time to time but for me there are a lot of things I would rather be doing then to be here, treading on egg shells, wondering when I will fall for the tricks of the few. and get myself banned like so many others have.

I know it's the nature of the net that makes this situation. Anyone can claim to be whatever they wish to. Google provides more then enough expertise for even an animal rights activist to appear to be a legitimate hunter.

That is a big part of the problem we have here. Too many who claim to be experts when they know a little more then nothing.
But how does one determine if they are just some novice trying to fit in or some cranky old guy like me, or the worst, a troll at the top of his game.

Fact is, we can't tell which it is and after a while one starts to treat all posts from anyone we don't know with great suspicion.
Some times we are right, more often we are not.

It's not a challenge I wish to participate in any longer.

George Bernard Shaw
Old 11-28-2017, 11:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 300magman View Post
Why does no one post anything anymore here for the most part? And kudos to those who do.

I don't post any pics of the Elk or WT that I have taken because most threads turn into a Bladder Pressure contest and get DELETED.......I was warned about these idiots when I joined up..... The Know It All Bunch......

I will post just one pic of a previous hunt .......But No story.......I don't need or want the drama from some of the idiots here....... SORRY JMO>>>>

I will sit back and remain silent......

"You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong."
- Bob Hagel

Last edited by sns2; 11-29-2017 at 08:04 PM.
Old 11-28-2017, 11:43 PM

Default Sorry for not posting

Im too busy eating & processing game!
Old 11-29-2017, 09:47 AM

Default I'm sorry, too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlbertaWild View Post
Im too busy eating & processing game!
Same here - Except I was out hunting. What'd I miss?
Old 11-29-2017, 02:02 PM

I always find it strange that people would get ganged up on because of the number of posts they have or haven't made.
What does that have to do with anything?......"Long time listener, first time caller."

What would make AO better?
I think filing threads into categories that anyone can search more easily vs. searching the entire Hunting forum.
The fewer 'clicks' made = user friendly.
Threads under Hunting could be set up along these general reasons most hunters on on here:
1) Bow Hunting questions;
2) General Season Hunting questions;
3) Hunting Pictures;
4) Regulation questions;
etc.
Can't be that hard or costly to get a web-site designer/programmer to make this better.
When the same questions are asked every year (and getting testy answers from some people)...this means the answers aren't as easy to find as they could be.
Regardless of the reason, the main question should be "How can this website be made better?".
Old 11-29-2017, 07:42 PM

I don’t think people come here to read tales of other hunters exploits or to look at pictures of the game that they have harvested.

Case in point, I’ve taken the time to write about three successful hunts that I’ve had this year. Those stories with pictures stayed on the front page of new posts for less time then it took to write the stories and add the pictures. Of the couple hundred people who viewed the threads only a small percentage took the time to comment and in no time they were down a couple pages and the view count stagnated.

A thread about Trump or Turdea will have hundreds of people commenting and will usually go on until the thread is closed by the mods, then another one pops up before you can blink...

So that kind of tells me that starting a thread in the hunting section and taking the time to add pictures is really a waste of time...