Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 01-11-2016, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by schian View Post
Which model Jericho was it?

Schian
It was the 941, I found it had a similar feel to it in my hand as the Sig P226, grips a bit smaller (skinnier) but same grip angle and high bore axis (some people don't like that, they say you get more muzzle flip and that a lower bore axis like a Glock keeps it down....but I like it just fine). I also like that you have the choice between steel or polymer frame, I like the steel better but nice to have the choice. And of course, hammer rather than striker fired, DA/SA, so what I am used to shooting. just my preferences, but those are why I would get it if I didn't have the P226. Also, you can use CZ magazines in them apparently, so that is a bonus too. I would get the steel version, not polymer.

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone
Old 01-11-2016, 11:17 AM

I looked into all the brands. Feel, comfort and then cost.
I found three pistols felt good.
Smith and Wesson M&P, can change grips size to fit different size hands. Plus it sit well in my hand.

Second was the Smith and Wesson SDVE. Fit in my hand well and was under $500.

Last the BalkaI viking 9mm. It is a bit crude in looks bit fits well. And under $500 also.

All the other pistols seems to not fit as well.
Guess what I am saying is find the pistol that feels good in your hand and then spend the money you need to.
Old 01-24-2016, 02:28 PM

glock
Old 01-24-2016, 03:22 PM

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone
Old 01-24-2016, 04:04 PM
Banned

Arrow

Glock 17, easy squeezy....point and shoot.

Sig 226 Decocker will get you in trouble.

The Navy Seals have switched over too the Glock.....so there ya go
Old 01-24-2016, 09:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nester View Post
Glock 17, easy squeezy....point and shoot.

Sig 226 Decocker will get you in trouble.

The Navy Seals have switched over too the Glock.....so there ya go
I'm curious why you think the decocker will get you in trouble? When you have no safety like the Sig P platforms, you point and you either have A: double action, or B: single action (if you have just racked slide and not decocked for instance). I fail to see how this is trouble either way, as those who use their Sigs get familiar very quickly with the DA/SA function? It points and shoots too, only better. As to why the seals changed over to it? Probably a budget saving device, the Democrats have really cut defense spending......

Old 07-17-2016, 09:12 PM

Ok, reviving and old thread because I'm (semi) back in the market.
Didn't have a chance to pick one up before but am seriously considering it again and after reading this thread a few times and doing more research of my own these are the ones I've come up with that fit my budget and wants.

-sig p320- heard nothing but good things about sig and this is the only one that fits my budget
-s&w M&P-great reviews, and for $699 on Canada ammo comes with a holster, 3 mags, a mag holster, mag loader and case.
-IWI Jericho-haven't heard too much but good reviews and cheaper than the previous 2 but still great bang for the buck (literally) from what I can tell.
-bersa Thunder 9-same as the Jericho.

I'm gonna go to the local shop and try as many as I can in my hand and if possible at the range as well.

So what do you guys think of these options? Any personal experience with these?
Anything else in the same ballpark I should consider??

I'm not set on polymer or steel and same goes for striker vs hammer fired.

Thanks!

Schian
Old 07-18-2016, 12:18 AM

New shooters seldom accept the advice, but
most experienced pistol shooters will agree,
your first pistol should be
a GSG 1911-22
or a Ruger Mark I, II, III, or 22/45
or very similar 22LR

Its all been said before.

Do a search here on "GSG 1911-22"
Old 07-18-2016, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by qwert View Post
New shooters seldom accept the advice, but
most experienced pistol shooters will agree,
your first pistol should be
a GSG 1911-22
or a Ruger Mark I, II, III, or 22/45
or very similar 22LR

Its all been said before.

Do a search here on "GSG 1911-22"
I'm actually all for this but this may be my only pistol for a very long while so I wanted at least a 9mm. The wife doesn't quite understand the terms "collection" and "upgrading".
But will seriously consider this option too.

Schian
Old 07-18-2016, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by schian View Post
I'm actually all for this but this may be my only pistol for a very long while so I wanted at least a 9mm. The wife doesn't quite understand the terms "collection" and "upgrading".
But will seriously consider this option too.

Schian
Like many other things,
the price you pay for a firearm is just a down payment on the continuing cost of consumables.
Many suggest that you need to shoot a minimum of 200 rds/wk to learn to shoot a pistol.
Compare the cost of a years worth of shooting factory loaded or even bulk reloaded ammo with the cost of 22LR.
It does not take many trips to the range for the ammo cost savings to pay for a 22 pistol.
If you get one like the GSG, it will be very similar to a 1911-45 or 1911-9 and use the same holsters and malfunction procedures.

If you shoot 200 rounds in a range trip you will likely develop an anticipation flinch, which is a lot harder to eliminate than acquire.
Doing most of your shooting with a 22 will help prevent this.
Do NOT think that a 22 is a kids or sissy gun, but a training tool that will make you a better shooter and save you money.

WITH THE PROPER INTRODUCTION, your wife may also enjoy shooting, and having a 22 for her to learn with and share your experience,
WILL MAKE HER MUCH MORE SUPPORTIVE OF YOUR SHOOTING AS IT WILL BE SOMETHING YOU CAN SHARE.
This alone is a good reason to purchase a 22 pistol FIRST.

Good Luck, YMMV.
Old 07-18-2016, 06:44 PM

[QUOTE=qwert;3281617]Like many other things,
the price you pay for a firearm is just a down payment on the continuing cost of consumables.
Many suggest that you need to shoot a minimum of 200 rds/wk to learn to shoot a pistol.
Compare the cost of a years worth of shooting factory loaded or even bulk reloaded ammo with the cost of 22LR.
It does not take many trips to the range for the ammo cost savings to pay for a 22 pistol.
If you get one like the GSG, it will be very similar to a 1911-45 or 1911-9 and use the same holsters and malfunction procedures.

If you shoot 200 rounds in a range trip you will likely develop an anticipation flinch, which is a lot harder to eliminate than acquire.
Doing most of your shooting with a 22 will help prevent this.

Do NOT think that a 22 is a kids or sissy gun, but a training tool that will make you a better shooter and save you money.

WITH THE PROPER INTRODUCTION, your wife may also enjoy shooting, and having a 22 for her to learn with and share your experience,
WILL MAKE HER MUCH MORE SUPPORTIVE OF YOUR SHOOTING AS IT WILL BE SOMETHING YOU CAN SHARE.
This alone is a good reason to purchase a 22 pistol FIRST.

THIS. (Although I think a Ruger MK II is a better choice lol)
Old 07-18-2016, 08:16 PM

[QUOTE=Attilathecanuk;3281639]
Quote:
Originally Posted by qwert View Post
snip

THIS. (Although I think a Ruger MK II is a better choice lol)
IMHE, the Ruger Marks are more accurate, and
the grip angle of the 22-45 is the Browning standard used by most other pistols,
the only down side is the differences of muscle memory, malfunction drills and holster compatibility.

Good Luck, YMMV.
Old 07-18-2016, 11:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtodrick View Post
I've had my GSG 1911 for three years now.
About 15000 rounds through it...no hassles. Like all rimfires it can be ammo picky but once you find what it like it will go round after round without a misfire if you clean it on a regular basis.
One thing I would advise (eventually) is a ZR Industries kit https://www.zrtacticalsolutions.com/...imate-package/ The barrel on the GSG/SIG .22 is well made, but their is a bit of slop when the slide returns to battery because the supplied alignment cone is a smidge to small. So the slide doesn't sit exactly the same way it returns to battery, making for sighting inaccuracies.
The custom alignment cone solves this.
Groups at 15m went from 2.5 to 3" to half that with the new cone.
For the buck it's a lot of fun as .22 is way cheaper to plink with the 9mm.
And of course in Canada we are not allowed to defend ourselves so the 9mm is pointless in that regards....take that comment as you will
The criminal code says you can use as much force as necessary to prevent grieving bodily injury, I assume if you are the innocent victim, so I would prefer to choose my Blackhawk or Superblackhawk, instead of a rolling pin, if it came down to protecting my or my family's lives. You can defend your life, you just have to pay through the nose to prove your innocence, not fair but your alive. Not to derail your topic, just to clarify your comment----- carry on.
Old 07-19-2016, 08:35 AM

Default CZ 75 clones

The Jericho is essentially a CZ clone. Other clones include EAA Witness, Norinco, and the AR 24. I have the AR 24 which is a loaner gun for when I take friends to the range. It is an all steel pistol which is very accurate. It is a double action/single action which means that the shooter can pull the trigger even when the hammer is down for the first shot. The first shot with the hammer down is a long pull and each subsequent shot is a shorter lighter pull.

From what I've heard, the Jericho is a decent pistol but I would definitely look at a slightly used CZ 75 model like the Shadow if it was also available.

Happy pistol shopping........ It probably won't be your last

Last edited by M70; 07-19-2016 at 08:45 AM.
Old 07-19-2016, 08:42 AM

I'll weigh in on the idea of training with a .22lr pistol. Although I agree that sight acquisition and pistol control manipulation are essential skills, recoil management and trigger feel are important too. I like the low cost of ammo and take my GSG 1911 to shoot but I like to end off every session with a 1911 in 9mm, 40 SW or 45 ACP.
Old 07-19-2016, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by M70 View Post
I'll weigh in on the idea of training with a .22lr pistol. Although I agree that sight acquisition and pistol control manipulation are essential skills, recoil management and trigger feel are important too. I like the low cost of ammo and take my GSG 1911 to shoot but I like to end off every session with a 1911 in 9mm, 40 SW or 45 ACP.
I shoot 2 mags of 22 then 1 mag of 9mm then 2 mags of 22LR then 1 mag of 45acp and repeat, = cheap practice and no anticipation/flinching.

Some claim that a properly tuned 1911 trigger is just too good,
to learn proper shooting with a pin type trigger or especially DA1st or DAO.
I prefer to shoot what I can shoot best.

Good Luck, YMMV.
Old 07-31-2016, 06:48 PM

Thanks for the opinions guys!
I have the official go ahead from the boss to get a handgun and I really have my heart set on the Bersa Thunder 9 Pro (duo tone).
I really do think the .22 handgun is probably a better way to go cost wise and even practice wise but I just can't shake my "need" for the Bersa.
Please don't judge if I go with the 9mm over the .22! haha
Thanks again for all the input and please, keep it coming because I'm not 100% set yet, only about 96.5% set.

Schian
Old 08-02-2016, 01:07 PM

Default pistol

9mm-Ruger SR9. 22- Ruger MKIII or Ruger Single Six They've been good for me.
Old 08-02-2016, 03:58 PM

My range buddy and I have a bunch of 1911's in 22, 9 and 45 but we shoot the GSG 1911-22 a lot more than the others. Great fun. Cheat ammo. Wives will shoot them. GSG is near exact to big boy 1911 in feel, weight, function etc, great for practice. We have both fired thousands of rounds(CCI round nose mini mags) thru the GSGs (without cleaning) with no faults....
Great gun! Cheap finish but cheap cost.
Old 08-02-2016, 04:14 PM

dont forget the walter PPX range kit.

you can often find the range kit (3 mags, holster, pistol) for 500.
Old 12-10-2017, 02:59 PM

I've been looking at the m&p 2.0 it's $585. I was originally looking at a 1911 but the 45 cal ammo is quite a bit more expensive than the 9mm
Old 12-10-2017, 03:16 PM
Banned

For an affordable pistol, yet reliable and well made, I would suggest a GSG as a few others have. Flys Etc. in High River is a dealer. (403)601-6120. I bet they have what you want in stock.