Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 12-09-2017, 04:28 PM

Default A question about the hunting regulation

I am planing to buy a quad for hunting season next year. I understand that there should be many regulations and limits about hunting with quad. But on this year's regulation I only found:

carry a weapon (see definition) on an OHV between 1 hour before sunrise and the following noon during an open season for big game* on public land in the following WMUs: 102-166, 200-260, 300-351, 354-360, 400-446, 507, 508, 514, 521, 522, 526 and 841. This does not apply to a person who is traveling on a direct route to or from a location accessible by vehicles designed for highway travel and his or her isolated campsite, and the weapons and ammunition are carried out of view in separate locked containers (and remain locked during the trip). Also, the restriction does not apply in a WMU when the only big game season open is a spring black bear season.
* this restriction applies to all hunters (including bird game hunters).

My question is: Why morning is not allowed but afternoon is ok?
Old 12-09-2017, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coyotezh View Post
I am planing to buy a quad for hunting season next year. I understand that there should be many regulations and limits about hunting with quad. But on this year's regulation I only found:

carry a weapon (see definition) on an OHV between 1 hour before sunrise and the following noon during an open season for big game* on public land in the following WMUs: 102-166, 200-260, 300-351, 354-360, 400-446, 507, 508, 514, 521, 522, 526 and 841. This does not apply to a person who is traveling on a direct route to or from a location accessible by vehicles designed for highway travel and his or her isolated campsite, and the weapons and ammunition are carried out of view in separate locked containers (and remain locked during the trip). Also, the restriction does not apply in a WMU when the only big game season open is a spring black bear season.
* this restriction applies to all hunters (including bird game hunters

Allows foot, tree stand and still hunters some undisturbed ( quad roaring down cutline ) time to hunt. You can use quad to enter area to hunt if you arrive and then stop one hour before sunrise. Of course if your not carrying a weapon ( see definition) on ATV then you can ride quad in morning too.
Old 12-09-2017, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wisebuck View Post
Allows foot, tree stand and still hunters some undisturbed ( quad roaring down cutline ) time to hunt. You can use quad to enter area to hunt if you arrive and then stop one hour before sunrise. Of course if your not carrying a weapon ( see definition) on ATV then you can ride quad in morning too.
oh.... I see... Basically it is a courtesy to other early morning hunters, nice!
Old 12-09-2017, 05:27 PM

I find this particular Reg frustrating and perplexing. I find there a many that don't adhere to it and in my books if you intentionally break a regulation you are a poacher.
I hiked to the top of a mountain in one of the posted WMUs a few occasions this season before sunrise, each time I witnessed a 8-12 of "hunters" on quads bombing through the neighbouring valleys before noon....

Perplexing; because after what I have witnessed I would never use a quad. Multiple times game would run up the mountain minutes before the quads got with in 200yrds.
Old 12-09-2017, 06:20 PM
Banned

Animals need a break to I'm glad they have a no quad before noon not like it actually works though always get a kick when you see a guy quaffing before noon and goes by you and you snap a picture of them they take off like a bat out of hell
Old 12-09-2017, 07:01 PM
Banned

This is far and away one of the best laws we have in Alberta. Unfortunately many are too stupid / selfish to adhere to it and respect the efforts of others.
Old 12-09-2017, 08:20 PM

Every Year around my place we see and here quads before noon on Crown Land just got to get farther off the trails still sucks though

Sent from my 9015B using Tapatalk
Old 12-09-2017, 09:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coyotezh View Post

Mine is: why allow them morning OR afternoon?
Old 12-09-2017, 09:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wisebuck View Post
This means you can carry it between one hour before sunrise and noon if you follow the restrictions
Old 12-09-2017, 09:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 270person View Post
Mine is: why allow them morning OR afternoon?
LIKE!

So tired of having hunts ruined by ***** on OHVs who have no respect for the law, having them spin donuts in the middle of the corners of narrow winding roads with "no OHVs permitted on road" signs, destroy sensitive habitats, etc. OHVs should not be permitted on public lands. End of story.

"This Brittany is my most cherished possession — the darndest bird-finder I have ever seen, a tough and wiry little dog with a choke-bored nose and the ability to read birds’ minds." -Jack O'Connor
Old 12-09-2017, 10:18 PM

I would be fine if OHV could only be used to make camp or retrieve game. Weapons would always be required to be encased...I realize this is likely an unpopular thought but it wouldn't bother me

LC
Old 12-10-2017, 07:33 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty-Canuck View Post
I would be fine if OHV could only be used to make camp or retrieve game. Weapons would always be required to be encased...I realize this is likely an unpopular thought but it wouldn't bother me

LC
I would love to see this in Alberta. And in all honesty I think it’s going to happen sooner than later. This is one of the few cases where the irresponsible actions of the few will actually end up working in favor of the guys that put some effort in and HUNT.

Personally I would like to see a prohibition against carrying a weapon on an OHV for the purpose of hunting peeiod. While it would be nice to see an exception for retrieving harvested game, as usual there will be a bunch of clowns that come up with a way to circumvent the rules and ruin it for the rest of us most likely though.

This issue has gone around and around for years. The guys that hunt on foot are usually in favour of getting rid of the things. The guys that prefer to drive around on quads and SxS’s etc of course obviously are not.

I’m certainly not anti ATV by any means. I own 4 quads, a SxS, an Argo and a couple sleds. They definitely have their place. But first thing in the morning during hunting season is not it.

If our F&W had the resources to enforce the law we currently have I suspect there would be a lot less issues (and not just with ATVs). But they don’t unfortunately and likely won’t any time soon.

So if they can’t enforce it I’d support banning them from Crown land for the purpose of hunting. Unfortunately they won’t have the money to properly enforce that either lol. But hopefully a prohibition on having it in the bush at all encourages more of these guys to leave them at home.
Old 12-10-2017, 09:14 AM

One of my favorite things to hear a land owner say is "walking only" that's music to my ears.
Old 12-10-2017, 10:33 AM

Not worth a response, but maybe an idea

How about this?

If a “superior” foot hunter sees a quad hunter on Crown Land before noon, he has the obligation to shoot the quad hunter in order to maintain the purity of his hunt and his “better than the next guy” status?

Better yet.

You guys get quads banned to use in hunting.

2 months later, you lose a leg in a car accident.

Now, you become a “disgusting, slob truck hunter” because you can no longer get back in the bush due to the OHV ban.

THAT would be awesome to me.

If you guys want my support, you have it. Lets ban OHV for hunting.

Just choose which one of you loses the leg...........I wanna see it and I wanna be able to walk up to you as you sit in your chair, looking out the window during hunting season, unable to get around because your ban was implemented, and mock you for it.

An idiotic reply to a few idiotic comments. Are we even now? Can we get back on the same team?

Last edited by huntinstuff; 12-10-2017 at 10:55 AM.
Old 12-10-2017, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntinstuff View Post

How about this?

If a “superior” foot hunter sees a quad hunter on Crown Land before noon, he has the obligation to shoot the quad hunter in order to maintain the purity of his hunt and his “better than the next guy” status?

Better yet.

Now, you become a “disgusting, slob truck hunter” because you can no longer get back in the bush due to the OHV ban.

Just choose which one of you loses the leg...........I wanna see it and I wanna be able to walk up to you as you sit in your chair, looking out the window during hunting season, unable to get around because your ban was implemented, and mock you for it.

An idiotic reply to a few idiotic comments. Are we even now? Can we get back on the same team?
Good point. Next time I see a one legged hunter in an OHV before noon I won't shoot.
Old 12-10-2017, 12:13 PM
Banned

I think guns should also be banned during hunting season. There is nothing that ticks me off worse than stalking an animal and just as you get within shooting distance, some ignoramous lets a shot go scaring your quarry away.
Old 12-10-2017, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alacringa View Post
LIKE!

So tired of having hunts ruined by ***** on OHVs who have no respect for the law, having them spin donuts in the middle of the corners of narrow winding roads with "no OHVs permitted on road" signs, destroy sensitive habitats, etc. OHVs should not be permitted on public lands. End of story.
Guys shoot up traffic signs with shotguns and rifles on rural roads. Maybe we should ban firearms, or better still keep all the citiots quarantined to the city they live in. I hunted tons this years and never once loaded up my ATV. All my critters were hauled out on my back or a game cart but I sure as heck would not recommend a total ban on ATV's on public lands. That's a radical view that will not be tolerated by many including, trappers, hunters, anglers, surveyors, forestry workers back country recreationalists who abide the law. You will find a bunch of guys who will like your sentiment and throw backslaps all around but you're in fact dividing up a community that needs mutual support.
Old 12-10-2017, 02:12 PM

I have much more tolerance for road hunters than ATV hunter. At least you can sometimes get away from the roads. Very frustrating when you have walked in an hour and get passed by a bunch of guys on quads going to where you're headed.
Old 12-10-2017, 02:25 PM

There is medical exemptions that allow quadding before noon I believe.
Old 12-10-2017, 04:33 PM

The latest anti hunting forum
Alberta Outdoorsmen

How nice.
Old 12-10-2017, 05:04 PM

Quote:
The latest anti hunting forum
Alberta Outdoorsmen
At times it sure seems that way!
Old 12-10-2017, 05:18 PM

"This does not apply to a person who is traveling on a direct route to or from a location accessible by vehicles designed for highway travel and his or her isolated campsite, and the weapons and ammunition are carried out of view in separate locked containers (and remain locked during the trip)."

Someone drive quad in the morning doesn't mean he/she was doing something against the law as far as I see after I read the above. Am I right?

There are some exceptions on the particular one.
Old 12-10-2017, 05:25 PM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty-Canuck View Post

LC
Yes, I use my quad to get to my stand or hunting area, park, walk in etc....no biggie, recreation riders might drive by, my choice to locate close to an area that may have the occasional rider come by. Does not make a difference if they have a rifle, shotgun, bow on the quad.

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 12-10-2017, 05:39 PM

Seems like some need to stop hunting quad trails and get into the bush if they don’t like quads.
Old 12-10-2017, 09:01 PM

I love the guys that give you a stink eye when you are on a legal trail during legal hours and go by them. GEt up earlier or stay off the trails. Problem solved.
Old 12-11-2017, 12:04 PM

Of course, there's nothing preventing recreational OHV users from driving around in the morning. So even with this law, there's no guarantee that foot hunters can hunt in the morning undisturbed.
Old 12-11-2017, 12:49 PM

If the reason for no quads between 1 hour before sunrise and noon is to give anyone walking a chance to have a quiet morning can someone explain why there are a handful of zones that allow atv use all day long?
Old 12-11-2017, 01:19 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alberta bull hunter View Post
If the reason for no quads between 1 hour before sunrise and noon is to give anyone walking a chance to have a quiet morning can someone explain why there are a handful of zones that allow atv use all day long?
There’s more than a handful. Many of them are in zones with little or no Crown Land. The rest......perhaps giving everyone an opportunity?
Old 12-11-2017, 01:21 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinky Buffalo View Post
Of course, there's nothing preventing recreational OHV users from driving around in the morning. So even with this law, there's no guarantee that foot hunters can hunt in the morning undisturbed.
Excellent point.

Pretty hard to be angry AT legal / responsible trail riders. The bush is there for all of us. Of course it’s annoying when a family of quadders rides by in the middle of your morning hunt....but that’s part of hunting Crown land 👍
Old 12-11-2017, 01:41 PM

Quote:

How about this?

Better yet.

So shoot first and ask questions later ?
What about the guy that cant walk the miles into hunt and has an OHV permit?
Should he be restricted to hunting from a truck on a paved highway or never be allowed to hunt further in the bush during prime hunting hours ?
and does he deserve to be shot off a quad because some of you cant afford a quad and are resentful of others that do ?????