Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 12-06-2017, 09:24 AM

Lightbulb

GOOD FOR YOU!!!
I must say I am enjoying this post more than most. Encouraging to read how many of "us" there are in the woods and how similiar our quests and challenges are?
I, too, find myself going on shorter & more comfortable hunts. Can't wait until my Grandson's are old enough to go out with me - still 2-3 years away. In the meantime, I find myself planning another trip to wherever? Perhaps we could make it a hunt for Seasoned's Hunters? One you can cross of the "Bucket List"! Interesting to hear what's on your list? Maybe we can make it happen!

Last edited by mcreg; 12-06-2017 at 09:34 AM.
Old 12-06-2017, 09:28 AM

Havent made it out in two years. I still donate 100 bucks to F&W as always and am hopeful to recover enough to at least make it out to the bush.
Damn cancer has got to go.
Old 12-06-2017, 09:58 AM

I've had ups and downs with my hunting for years. Always loved being in the woods, but circumstances caused some hiatus times when it just wasn't possible - due to work and educational demands.
I haven't hunted much the last couple of years. I 'retired' from full time work in 2015 with the intention of really getting out regularly - and was looking forward to it. Cancer put a 'ki-bosh' on that season! Got out for a couple of days though. Then came the Ft. McMurray wildfire and subsequent unintended relocation - no hunting in 2016. This year I managed to get out for the first time ever for a couple of days of deer camp with my youngest son .
Hopefully this coming spring I'll get out for turkeys again, and then more hunting in the fall season. I know guys in their 80's who still get out regularly. I hope to be one of them! If I pass on while sitting in a deer stand at 95 years old I'll consider myself well-blessed
Old 12-06-2017, 10:01 AM

Default Don't give up

I'm 73, have had knee surgery and a triple bypass and walk the dogs every day. That's why I'm alive. I can still hunt pheasants and enjoy going with you guys. I met Cat for the first time this year and it was great. So here is the deal, you can come and shoot birds with me if you want. I have 4 very good dogs, and soon will have 5 . I don't always carry a gun anymore and that suits me just fine.

BTW I've been warned by many of my friends from here that with such an offer I could meet all manner of deviants, and so far it has been elk, cat, sns2, and one or two others.

So the offer still stands, if you can still walk, shoot, and are safe with a gun you are welcome to hunt with me and the dogs, they will love you.
Old 12-06-2017, 10:47 AM

Default Close to home

My dad has been saying this for the last few years, his knees and ankle make it difficult for him to do what he wants to do. He has gone from showing me what to do, to now letting me lead the hunt. Which I guess it is the way it is supposed to go. I do cherish every minute I am out there with him, as I know It could be the last season I get to hunt with them. This year we didn't get his bull moose, had our chance but missed. But he shot a nice Whitetail buck, his first in a long time. The smile on his face, more than made up for the missing of the Moose.
Old 12-06-2017, 11:14 AM

I am kind of in the same boat you are. In the last few years I have lost a good hunting friend, broken a number of bones. I am still target shooting, I can still haul a goose or a chicken back to the house, and there are always gophers.

Right now my freezer is full, no sense shooting more. But I do still enjoy a day outside.
Old 12-06-2017, 11:26 AM

Thought I was getting to the point of packing it in but then found a good pair of walking sticks and I use them on all hikes and hunts now. Has taken a huge load off my body when I can use my arms a bit when things get too difficult. Huge difference and not a wreck at the end of the day.. Eating right, losing weight and good exercise is a must!!

My existence requires the woods and water!!
Old 12-06-2017, 11:38 AM

Never,even if I am in wheel chair roll me out there and let me sit on a cut line,i stopped thinking of just killing 15 years ago,but I still love the bush and I buy all my tags and there will be no grandeur place to be when I take my final breath beside a nice lake sitting under a big white spruce and thanking god for giving me such a wonderful place to rest my head.
I was all banged up in an auto accident a while back and I prayed hard to just get back out and give it one more shot and I am going to do just that come hell or high water.You never know how much you miss something till it's out of reach.
Old 12-06-2017, 01:24 PM

Default Hunting

I am 66 years old and my interest to hunt big game has decreased over the past few years. I have one big game rifle now. Sold the rest. I hunted whitetail deer for 3 days in November and could have killed six whitetail bucks easily. Do I need another 3x3 buck? I have hunted and killed more than my share. I do sporting clays in the summer regularly and still enjoy upland game, although it is hard without a dog. I do not feel like killing deer anymore.
Old 12-06-2017, 01:44 PM

I am 69 and been hunting since 13. I have even quit a few times. My hip hurts but I can still walk but climbing is difficult. I usually limit myself to half day outings. I have some young fellas that have helped me with elk and moose but I often hunt deer by myself. My wife doesn't like it so I mark on a map where I will be and she also tracks my phone.

This year I hunted sharp tails. Got 3 and went home. I went out twice for mule deer and got one. It was a tough drag back to my truck and even tougher rassling match to lift the deer to the tailgate but I did it

I still had a general WT tag but every morning I got up and decided I'm done. Usually after noon I changed my mind. I would pack a thermos and head out to a place where the land was flat and walking was easy. I usually walk down one side of a quarter and back on the opposite side. I usually ended the afternoon by sitting and guzzling coffee and using my binoculars. My season ended that way and no WT but I did not care. I was glad I went and made a decision that I do not have to make a decision to quit. Besides I cannot quit because I just bought another rifle that I need to try on game. God willing I will have the quit or not to quit debate with myself next season.
Old 12-06-2017, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by covey ridge View Post
I am 69 and been hunting since 13. I have even quit a few times. My hip hurts but I can still walk but climbing is difficult. I usually limit myself to half day outings. I have some young fellas that have helped me with elk and moose but I often hunt deer by myself. My wife doesn't like it so I mark on a map where I will be and she also tracks my phone.

This year I hunted sharp tails. Got 3 and went home. I went out twice for mule deer and got one. It was a tough drag back to my truck and even tougher rassling match to lift the deer to the tailgate but I did it

I still had a general WT tag but every morning I got up and decided I'm done. Usually after noon I changed my mind. I would pack a thermos and head out to a place where the land was flat and walking was easy. I usually walk down one side of a quarter and back on the opposite side. I usually ended the afternoon by sitting and guzzling coffee and using my binoculars. My season ended that way and no WT but I did not care. I was glad I went and made a decision that I do not have to make a decision to quit. Besides I cannot quit because I just bought another rifle that I need to try on game. God willing I will have the quit or not to quit debate with myself next season.
Good on you ,little tip if you're loading a deer by yourself bring a ladder one piece ladder or a three-quarter inch piece of plywood lot easier to get them up on.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
Old 12-06-2017, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 35 whelen View Post
Good on you ,little tip if you're loading a deer by yourself bring a ladder one piece ladder or a three-quarter inch piece of plywood lot easier to get them up on.

Thanks for the tip. It is a good one. I did that last year with a larger deer and it worked well. I actually had plywood and a come along in my truck but the set up would have taken a bit of time and the deer was small so I gave it a try without. When it proved more difficult than I thought, extreme stubbornness set in and I was not going to let it beat me. I should know better

I may be having a difficult time accepting that throwing any size deer onto my truck was something that only a younger me could do.
Old 12-06-2017, 02:19 PM

Yep I'm slowly learning to ask for more help

Old 12-06-2017, 02:58 PM

When big game hunting, I never leave home without a come-along. In fact, I even bought an Echo chainsaw winch, which has proven to be worth its' weight in gold! So much so that someone stole it our of my truck last summer. Need to buy another one but apparently they don't make them anymore so I'll just keep checking e-bay? Being I got drawn for Bison again, I either need to find one by end of January or hire a loader should we get one?
Old 12-06-2017, 05:04 PM
Banned

Fellow outdoorsmen. First, I'd like to extend many thanks for the encouragement that many of you have extended to not quit, both in this thread and by private messaging. It's nice to know that so many care, I truly appreciate it. However, my decision is firm, it's been a long time coming. I'd like to also explain a few other factors that bear upon my decision, other than some minor physical constraints. Here goes:

1. In my travels through the woods, I come upon things that I don't care to be a part of. As an example, I walk a mile to a good spot to still hunt. A cane in one hand, a rifle in the other. I get there, sit nice and still waiting to ambush an animal, and a truck filled with able bodied so called hunters drive right by stand. People shooting at game from the comfort of their vehicle through the window, etc. Just to name a few. I have two replacement hips and one knee. I can manage through it all to stalk and "fair chase" my quarry, yet I have to put up with able bodied road hunters.

2. My insides and by that I mean my inner soul isn't in line with killing an animal such as a deer anymore. Don't get me wrong, I'm not joining forces with PETA. I fully support the hunting sports still. Taking a life of a beautiful buck or a doe simply doesn't work for me personally anymore. It's a major change in my life that I can't explain, but so be it. I've grown to be much more appreciative of seeing them alive.

3. My shop has now become more than busy, swamped would be a much better description. And I enjoy every minute of it. I've added a new lathe to my tooling arsenal and it keeps me occupied to the wee hours.

4. Due to the help of a couple of great fellows, fishing has now become more interesting as they actually taught me how to catch walleye. I've taken up fly fishing and absolutely love it.

5. Last but not least is various aspects of target shooting. Be it Benchrest, Silhouette, Prone or what have you. I'm at a stage in my life where putting holes in paper or on steel has become far more of a draw then putting holes in fur. Gophers and Coyotes are the exception of course.

In closing, I would like to reiterate the fact that although I've made my choices, I still remain in support of ethical and fair chase hunting. My choice is personal and does not reflect on the hunting sports in general. I'll still be purchasing hunting licenses and get after upland birds. Migratory don't much appeal to me as I don't like the taste of them.
Old 12-06-2017, 05:48 PM

Gitrdun, follow your heart! I'm sure we've all been there and we have all had to make our own choices. I know for myself I have trouble with "trophy" hunting? And don't get me wrong I used to set my sights on a particular animal and trade wits with him. Sometimes I won but mostly they won! However, now with the onset of these T.V. shows I find myself disgusted with trophy hunting. It's seems to have gone from man vs. nature to bragging rights. I've witnessed the same as you and seen hunters do things that push the boundary of legal and ethical too many times! For that very reason I would never have an animal scored and entered into any record book.
It is also my opinion that the new rage of long range shooting is about as unethical as hunting comes. How skillful does one have to be to "sneak" within 500 yds and shoot an animal! Sure you're a good shot but good hunter??
I love to hunt elk and nothing is more exciting & rewarding as calling in a big bull, but now I find myself just as content with hunting cow elk - better eating anyway.
I know my comments are painting with a very broad brush and there are lots that don't practice the methods I mention. To them I say " Hats off & good hunting"
Old 12-06-2017, 09:45 PM

My friend do what ever makes you happy. That is all that matters. You are a true Outdoorsman. This just means your focus has changed a little.
Myself, I would like one last elk hunt before I follow that path. Hopefully if/when I get my lung transplant I'll still be able to do it.

"Me neither but it's all in the eye of the beer holder"
norwestalta

.....out of bounds.....but funny none the less!

LC

"Funny how when a bear eats another bear, no one bats an eye, but......

when a human eats another human, people act like it's the end if the friggin world. News coverage, tweets, blogs, outrage, Piers Morgan etcetc.

Go figure." -Huntinstuff
Old 12-06-2017, 10:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vcmm View Post
My friend do what ever makes you happy. That is all that matters. You are a true Outdoorsman. This just means your focus has changed a little.
Myself, I would like one last elk hunt before I follow that path. Hopefully if/when I get my lung transplant I'll still be able to do it.
When you get that new lung, you will probably want more than one last elk hunt. All the very best to you
Old 12-06-2017, 10:42 PM

I'm stepping out of hunting incrementally. I don't do moose anymore. Every moose I've shot headed to the thickest, swampiest real estate before it tipped over. I've never been able to drive anywhere close to a shot moose, and I almost kill myself chopping them up and getting them out. No more.

I take my rifle for short walks when after deer, with lots of sitting, glassing and watching chickadees. My most important pieces of gear are a 3-legged Lee Valley stool - with an arse-warmer pillow, my Primos double shooting sticks - cause I'm not as steady as I used to be, and my range-finder binos. If I'm going to be parked for a long time, I'll bring my Kindle e-reader - so the deer don't catch me turning book pages! If a deer wants to go for a truck ride, I might oblige them, but not if it's uphill to the truck, and it's got to be 'the right' deer.

I don't look for 'big', I look for tasty. Nice, little, juicy yearlings. I don't have the wall space for any more antlers, but I can always find more freezer space. If it's too close to dusk, I'll even take a fawn. I can have it gutted, skinned, cut up and in cheesecloth meat bags in 15 minutes. Mommy will replace him next spring and I'll have the best venison on the planet.

But the best thing about cutting back on marathon, self-flagellation hunting trips is that I can enjoy my growing infatuation with everything FLYFISHING. The same thrill of the chase, tying flies instead of hand loading, only without the abuse to this old body.

Closing some doors (gently) leads to others opening. Good on you Cat - for following your gut in these decisions.
Old 12-07-2017, 09:18 AM

Smile "that time"

Great post. The stories hit very close to home. I'm 66 now, hunted since I was 14, following brothers and uncles initially. Haven't pulled the trigger on an animal for about 6 yrs. Like the thread about watching meadows, chickadees, and some does and small bucks feeding, I am in heaven just watching and enjoying nature. I have had chances, but it comes down to "do I want to drag this animal all the way back to camp?". Don't like late aft/evening as the night vision isn't as good anymore. Can't wait for the nightly camp fire and the memories that it invokes. If I'm with others, I don't mind being the "campy" so they can maximize their time on the trails. Some of my favorite spots have changed considerably, due to logging operations. I still hunt exclusively in the Forest Reserve (Crown Land) areas.
But I'll go out there as long as I am able. Nothing finer than being in the bush.
P.S. My handle "realist" is not an attitude, but a combo of the first two letters of the names from the four of us in the family. Easy to remember, as some of the brain-cells for remembering ID's and passwords are failing.
Old 12-07-2017, 02:10 PM

Keep telling myself I want to get out after whitetails in Nov for the last 3 yrs, haven't bothered when the time came. Booked the time off every year. Dind't even buy tags this year. I stopped bowhunting about 10 yrs ago after getting dogs that hunted well, found that to be more interesting on the year round basis. Moose draws had some effect on that too. And a hunting buddy started building a cabin over 4 hrs away, eventually lost touch over time, no good fishing or waterfowl hunting near that area, for me, anyway.. I think that eventually steered me off going out after big game in Nov. Been waterfowl hunting thru Sept and Oct the last 10 yrs, still felt good doing it this year. But, more people out doing that, than ever, this year, 2-3 groups all looking at the same fields every time out this year. Still had some good shoots though.
Couple of yrs ago, I went out to do some grouse hunting with the dog, couldn't find a quiet place to go in the areas I know. Quads everywhere, in every area I tried to walk, camps all over the place. Thought about going out this year to do that, that thought discouraged me from bothering to go out that way.
Even going somewhere to shoot, is a trek these days, which I am getting less and less willing to make. Too many camps around, quads everywhere, harder to find a safe spot to do it in.
And I am reaching the time when I will need to trim down the amount of stuff I have to store, and space to store it in, and some things will have to be less physically demanding than they used to be.
But, I've done a variety of stuff people would give their left nut to do all over BC and AB and even into Sask and Manitoba and the northern States, so I have nothing to regret there. Had a lot of fun at it and met a lot of good people.
I just find the drive to get out is waning, once I get up and go I am happy with it, but, lately, I find things getting crowded and that bugs me a lot. There are places I won't go now, because it is more work than I want to do to accomplish it. Been there, done that, know what is required, meh....
Turning into a lazy old fart.
Old 12-07-2017, 04:51 PM
Banned

It sure is nice to hear from you fellows who are in the same predicament with aches and pains and such. Don't get me wrong, I surely do not rejoice in hearing what you guys are going through. However, I feel as though I'm not alone and it comforts me a bit. I've done my miles, hiked out, rode out, came home when the sun was rising. But one has to realize that it's time to slow down. Target shooting in most disciplines, shooting gophers, getting after the song dogs and fishing are now on top of my list. Heck, my cooking has also improved as I age, I could be an awesome camp beetch. My gun shop has also gotten extremely busy as I love the marriage of metal and nice wood. I have no regrets whatsoever.
Old 12-07-2017, 05:17 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by vcmm View Post
Seriously Paul? you're headed for a lung transplant? I had no idea. Well, I can only extend my best wishes for best of luck. Buddy, if there's any kind of help that I can provide within my means, please don't be afraid to ask.
Old 12-07-2017, 05:29 PM

Check out the book called a hunters heart I believe -. 02
Old 12-08-2017, 08:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gitrdun View Post
Seriously Paul? you're headed for a lung transplant? I had no idea. Well, I can only extend my best wishes for best of luck. Buddy, if there's any kind of help that I can provide within my means, please don't be afraid to ask.
P.M sent

"Me neither but it's all in the eye of the beer holder"
norwestalta

.....out of bounds.....but funny none the less!

LC

"Funny how when a bear eats another bear, no one bats an eye, but......

when a human eats another human, people act like it's the end if the friggin world. News coverage, tweets, blogs, outrage, Piers Morgan etcetc.

Go figure." -Huntinstuff
Old 12-08-2017, 12:50 PM

Ill be 67 next birthday both knees hurt with cartilege issues hip gets sore if I stop walking for more than a few days, had cancer surgery, have arthritis in 2nd to 7th vertibrae of neck but none of those are excuses to not get out hunting and fishing as much as I can. I bowhunt lots, shoot in back yard from spring till fall as weather dictates and spent about 20 days in treestand this fall a dozen more in ground blind and did an elk and several moose hunts that were walk in. Still take out a few newbie hunters for bear every spring and maintain 6 baits hauling in the oats..
I try to hunt smarter now. I dont need to prove to anyone that Im a macho hunk If I need to stop every 100 yds for rest I stop. If I need to get a few younger buddies to help carry in oats for bear or carry out a moose I ask. Thats one thing that I note wasnt mentioned much . Why not get a few younger people to be your new hunting partners. The sport is dieing as hunter numbers fall with us older guys quitting. You can share all your experiences and knowledge with younger folks allowing them to be the next generation of hunters. They can use their muscles and youthful enthusiasm to help you and pick you up. A win win. Sure it takes some patience and luck to teach and find the right partners but they are out there.
I have a believe that if you get inactive as you get old then you are on the way to the grave a heck of a lot faster than if you push yourself and maintain some form of regular activity. I dont kid myself that Im some athletic nut Im certainly not but I try and keep active all year even when it hurts and joints ache etc.
I scout and am in the woods all year I ice fish lots and walk my two dogs all winter no matter what the weather. I find that just being active an hour or more every day keeps the ability to hunt and get in the outdoors there.
I recommend reading a book called Younger Next Year written by two fellows Lodge and Crowley. Really opened my eyes to need to push yourself thru the pain to keep active
Old 12-08-2017, 05:04 PM

^^^^^^^^
Good advice. I hope I am not too old to start getting younger or keep what I have so I ordered the book from amazon.
Old 12-08-2017, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Grey Wolf View Post
Read a interesting article few years back on the phases/evolution of a hunter. Phase 1, need to shoot everything that moves, Phase 2, need to shot only biggest trophies, phase 3, need only to be in the wilderness, enjoy the scenery, the smell of leaves, the time spent with buddies. Do not give up on the last phase to soon.
I've experienced some of that, only never really got caught up in the biggest trophy game. These days it's not uncommon for me to just watch the legal bucks saunter on by. Biggest thing of all is enjoying the company of our buddies. The last couple of seasons some of the guys have been leaving this earth, and we sure miss having them around our camps. I'm guessing most of us older gents have this experience of missing hunting partners.

In my camper there are mementos from each and every one of them, so every time I see or use the object they are back in camp with me/us.
Old 12-19-2017, 10:05 AM

Default Young Next Year Henry S.Lodge M.D.

Got the book yesterday and have not been able to put it down. I do not agree with everything but there seems to be lots of good stuff.

Imagine my surprise when I learned that the younger of the two authors, Henry S. Lodge M.D. has passed away at the young age of 58.

I still plan to finish the book.
Old 12-19-2017, 10:16 AM

Hunting is getting kinda boring for me.