Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 02-17-2019, 03:20 PM

Default Fishing Trip

Hey Gents! I need some ideas on an epic father son fishing trip for this summer. Both of us are in good physical condition. I live in Edmonton and would prefer something within driving distance lets say up to 20 hours. That being said a short haul flight isn't out of the picture. Tentative time would be up to 1 week in July.

I am definitely open to guided or adventure type ( bundled with another activity).

Thanks in advance!
Old 02-17-2019, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sh0wn View Post
Hey Gents! I need some ideas on an epic father son fishing trip for this summer. Both of us are in good physical condition. I live in Edmonton and would prefer something within driving distance lets say up to 20 hours. That being said a short haul flight isn't out of the picture. Tentative time would be up to 1 week in July.

I am definitely open to guided or adventure type ( bundled with another activity).

Thanks in advance!
What about a fly in fishing trip? I Went last year for my first one and I must say it’s a must do experience for any avid fisherman. We went to vermillion lake outfitters in northern Saskatchewan. It’s one of the best bang for your buck fishing trips I’ve found. It’s Not trophy fishing although our biggest was a 16 lb pike for the trip. But the solitude and the way the owners treat you is incredible! And your fed extremely well!
Old 02-17-2019, 04:15 PM

Quote:

Thanks in advance!
Leave Edmonton very early in the A.M.. Drive 16 hours to the Prince Rupert ferry terminal and get on a 11pm ferry (spend the few extra bucks for a private room and bath). Wake up clean and refreshed at 6 AM on Haida Gwaii. Rent a short term house from airbnb for 5 nights. It's very easy to book a local guide to take you out for the day. Drop your catch off at local processor and they will cut, wrap and freeze in any size you choose.
You could do this every day you're there, try different guides, or just go crabbing and clamming on the beach yourself. Lots of local rivers if you would like to fish the freshwater for trout.
Old 02-17-2019, 04:18 PM

What do you want to catch ?

Tons of options but with out knowing what you are hoping for it tough to recommend.
Old 02-17-2019, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikehunter1989 View Post
What about a fly in fishing trip? I Went last year for my first one and I must say it’s a must do experience for any avid fisherman. We went to vermillion lake outfitters in northern Saskatchewan. It’s one of the best bang for your buck fishing trips I’ve found. It’s Not trophy fishing although our biggest was a 16 lb pike for the trip. But the solitude and the way the owners treat you is incredible! And your fed extremely well!

I’ve never tried fly fishing but I’d love to give it a try. Do you know what the approximate cost is?
Old 02-17-2019, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoky buck View Post
What do you want to catch ?

Tons of options but with out knowing what you are hoping for it tough to recommend.

Anything really, we just love to be on the water. Catching is a bonus. LOL
Old 02-17-2019, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott h View Post
Leave Edmonton very early in the A.M.. Drive 16 hours to the Prince Rupert ferry terminal and get on a 11pm ferry (spend the few extra bucks for a private room and bath). Wake up clean and refreshed at 6 AM on Haida Gwaii. Rent a short term house from airbnb for 5 nights. It's very easy to book a local guide to take you out for the day. Drop your catch off at local processor and they will cut, wrap and freeze in any size you choose.

You could do this every day you're there, try different guides, or just go crabbing and clamming on the beach yourself. Lots of local rivers if you would like to fish the freshwater for trout.

This does sound fantastic! Any ideas on the total cost for two peeps assuming we fish for 5 days?
Old 02-17-2019, 05:31 PM
Banned

Quote:
This does sound fantastic! Any ideas on the total cost for two peeps assuming we fish for 5 days?
No idea as to rental costs but Charter costs should be $1,100 a day plus tip.

Another idea is to stay at a lodge. You could put together a Eco tour scenario along with fishing. Meals would be included. In order to stay in some sort of sane budget I would stay in Sandspit. I have a recommendation if your interested.

Another idea is to take the train out to Rupert and then the ferry... Even cooler.

Salmon is way more expensive than fresh water but the experience is so much different.
Old 02-17-2019, 05:41 PM

Quote:
TLast summer the ferry was around $140 + 40 for each person. Renting a house will be around $100 per night. And you will be able to get a full day charter for about $1000. Processing/wrapping/freezing of your catch is over $1 per pound.
Old 02-17-2019, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie View Post
No idea as to rental costs but Charter costs should be $1,100 a day plus tip.

Another idea is to stay at a lodge. You could put together a Eco tour scenario along with fishing. Meals would be included. In order to stay in some sort of sane budget I would stay in Sandspit. I have a recommendation if your interested.

Another idea is to take the train out to Rupert and then the ferry... Even cooler.

Salmon is way more expensive than fresh water but the experience is so much different.
I agree the train is very cool but it's crazy expensive and takes way longer!!!! You also won't have a vehicle on the island, and you definitely want a vehicle (preferably a 4x4).
Old 02-17-2019, 06:32 PM

Okanagan small/largemouth bass, carp and perch nice size fish of all species. No power boats so you’re paddling

Bulkley valley rainbows, Lakers, and burbot quality fish and chance at giants and you can set line burbot. Depending on the boat you bring will dictate the lake I recommend. One lake has boat rentals

Fraser river sturgeon hire a guide

Some options that are different and if your interested in one of the first 2 I can get into more detail
Old 02-17-2019, 06:45 PM

Quote:
I’ve never tried fly fishing but I’d love to give it a try. Do you know what the approximate cost is?
For ours it was 1700$ per person for a group of 6 of us for 6 nights. For just 2 people it’s a bit more I’m pretty sure. They provide all your meals, you just bring your booze or beverages of choice, snacks and fishing gear. It’s a really awesome place aswell... there is a second lake a 2 minute walk away from the cabin where they have more boats ready to go and then off both lakes there is another lake accessible through a small creek that you can get the boats through. Than there is also a lake that the owner will take you to that’s a hour quad ride into and typically where the big fish are caught. So 5 lakes that you can fish. There’s lakers in the main lake and possibly a couple of the others and then walleye and pike in all of them. Most other fly ins charge much more... average would probably be 2300$ for the same length of trip anywhere else and this one only takes one group at a time
Old 02-17-2019, 06:53 PM

Canoe down a river for a few days.
I do it every year, and nothing beats it.
It's the highlight of my year.
And it's cheap.
You could probably buy a nice canoe and still be ahead of a fly in fishing trip
Old 02-17-2019, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikehunter1989 View Post
For ours it was 1700$ per person for a group of 6 of us for 6 nights. For just 2 people it’s a bit more I’m pretty sure. They provide all your meals, you just bring your booze or beverages of choice, snacks and fishing gear. It’s a really awesome place aswell... there is a second lake a 2 minute walk away from the cabin where they have more boats ready to go and then off both lakes there is another lake accessible through a small creek that you can get the boats through. Than there is also a lake that the owner will take you to that’s a hour quad ride into and typically where the big fish are caught. So 5 lakes that you can fish. There’s lakers in the main lake and possibly a couple of the others and then walleye and pike in all of them. Most other fly ins charge much more... average would probably be 2300$ for the same length of trip anywhere else and this one only takes one group at a time
X2 epic trip!! get ahold of Mel @ vermilionlakeoutfitters.com
Old 02-17-2019, 06:59 PM

Take a road trip to Yellowknife and fish the rivers and lakes of the NWT. Drag a small boat and motor tent or camper and explore. If you head up late June early July lots of light as the sun almost never sets. Plan to drive 500 km a day fish a different river or lake every day.

BW
Old 02-17-2019, 07:26 PM

If you are willing to drive 20 hours then I be heading east to NW Ontario. Fisherman’s paradise. So many lakes, so many species.

Take a tent and a boat and camp at Ojibway Provincial Park. Big Vermilion Lake, Little Vermilion Lake, Minnitaki, Lac Seul and on and on. Species like lakers, Muskie, pike, walleyes and smallmouth bass.

Or as that may be a bit outside your 20 hour limit then Lake of the Woods at Kenora. Similar species as above.

Lots of lodges and camping in both areas.

Be forewarned though, NW Ontario is a very addictive spot for a fisherman.
Old 02-17-2019, 07:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohninAB View Post
If you are willing to drive 20 hours then I be heading east to NW Ontario. Fisherman’s paradise. So many lakes, so many species.

Take a tent and a boat and camp at Ojibway Provincial Park. Big Vermilion Lake, Little Vermilion Lake, Minnitaki, Lac Seul and on and on. Species like lakers, Muskie, pike, walleyes and smallmouth bass.

Or as that may be a bit outside your 20 hour limit then Lake of the Woods at Kenora. Similar species as above.

there's literally thousands of places Manitoba Saskatchewan Alberta Ontario fly and drive to boat 2 if you narrow it down for cost-wise I could give you some tips ran Fishing lodges for 20 years.
Old 02-17-2019, 11:50 PM

Default Fishing

Salmon , Halibut, bottomfish... 16hr drive from Edmonton ... pm to see if interested ,for references, and if I have dates that would work...
Thanks
Old 02-19-2019, 08:53 AM

Quote:
I think he was referring to fly-in fishing, rather than fly fishing. As in flying in to a remote lake on a float plane.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohninAB View Post

I would rather fish in NW Ontario than anywhere in the world, and I mean that. My best fishing memories are fishing with Halley's, out of Minaki. I've caught multiple trophy walleye and a pile of trophy smallmouth. Great memories!

http://www.halleyscamps.com/fly-in-outposts/
Old 02-19-2019, 09:11 AM

I took my Dad salmon fishing to the Queen Charlottes back in 1997 for his 65 BDAY. We flew from Edmonton to Vancouver then on the Private charter to QCL. It was an amazing trip, 5 Days 4 Nights. I had not been on a fishing trip anywhere with my Dad for many years.

We were going to go back when he was 75, but health issues with cancer and lung surgery put that trip off. When my Dad was 77 we went to Vancouver Island, flew into Comox directly out of Calgary and went to April Point Lodge / Painter Lodge at Campbell River. Both lodges run under Oak Bay Marine Group. We had fun again. Shorter fishing times but we did do a 2 times a day fishing 4 hours depending on the tides and when the fishing was better after talking to the guides.

There are a few lodges on QCI that have flights direct from Edmonton / Calgary / Grande Prairie that might be worth looking into.

Have FUN !!
Old 02-21-2019, 08:49 AM

A great "bucket list" trip is sturgeon fishing on the Fraser River. My son and I did a two-day trip last summer with Cascade Fishing Adventures. It's about $700 per day and totally worth it! Drive to Chiliwack, stay in a hotel for a couple nights and go fishing - huge fish, tons of fun!