Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 04-26-2017, 01:54 AM

Default Meat Processing Course @ Olds College/NAIT

Howdy,

I'm wondering if anyone that visits this forum has completed/knows someone that has completed the aforementioned course @ Olds college/NAIT. I am looking into attending potentially and I have a truckload of questions.

I didn't see an off topic forum so I hope this is okay!

Cheers!

Last edited by Foxjaw; 04-26-2017 at 02:11 AM.
Old 04-26-2017, 07:12 AM

It might be a good idea to talk to Brad MacLeod at Olds College he is head of the meats program there. D.H.
Old 04-26-2017, 07:25 AM

Personal observation from dealing with the retail store. good start, but very basic, You'll never run a gourmet deli by just doing their course.

Grizz
Old 04-26-2017, 11:18 AM

Im enrolled in the fall (sept-dec) course and its at least a year wait to get in. You would be looking at potentially getting in for next summer or falls course. all the information your searching for is on the olds collage website under meat processing. If butcher is what your looking for don't do the one at NAIT it's not a butcher course it's more of a course if you were to say work at coop or a grocery store meat shop. You do not get a full butcher course from NAIT.
Old 04-26-2017, 02:21 PM

Default Old College Meat course.

I graduated form the course back in 2005, but spend some time there doing inspection as my job. I'd be happy to answer some questions about my experiences at the course and opportunities after finishing it, if you like.

Last edited by El Carnicero; 04-26-2017 at 02:26 PM.
Old 04-26-2017, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly Adams View Post
Personal observation from dealing with the retail store. good start, but very basic, You'll never run a gourmet deli by just doing their course.

Grizz
Not true.

I graduated back in 2005 and one particular class mate with no previous experience in meats opened up a beef jerky company after graduating and has taken (or is soon to be taking it) to a federally inspected and approved product to sell outside of Alberta.

Many of the Graduates from the course have opened their own shops or taken over butcher shops. In fact there is a couple who just finished the course in the last year or so, i believe, that has opened a full scale butcher shop (minus slaughter) in Sylvan Lake.

It's not as basic a course as you think. It totally depends on where you want to end up in the business.

AS a former Grad of this program I would recommend taking it from Olds over NAIT or SAIT.
Old 04-26-2017, 07:44 PM

I just finished the nait course, pm sent