Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 04-25-2017, 11:29 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by stringer View Post
On a positive note the hunting and fishing in Alberta will be great again.
It would send a lot of migrants packing, lower the cost of living in Alberta, take dollars away from the government, be better for our environment, toughen Albertans up again, and so on.

It's like taking candy away from a kid - we'll cry, but it's for our own good. And it looks probable to happen now that America is having an oil boom and our oil sands have become unnecessary.

Old 04-25-2017, 11:33 AM

Part Canada is so busy hating their elected government that pure evil is on their border going unnoticed. In a school yard when a bully attracts a crowd many in the crowd are for the bully.
Old 04-25-2017, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stringer View Post
On a positive note the hunting and fishing in Alberta will be great again.
Agree.

made in Alberta__ born n raised.

FS-Tinfool hats by the roll.
Old 04-25-2017, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott h View Post
Very good point !!!
Not really, just an idiotic comment that could not be held back.
Old 04-25-2017, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardshark View Post
It would send a lot of migrants packing, lower the cost of living in Alberta, take dollars away from the government, be better for our environment, toughen Albertans up again, and so on.

It's like taking candy away from a kid - we'll cry, but it's for our own good. And it looks probable to happen now that America is having an oil boom and our oil sands have become unnecessary.

Unfortunate for those who bought in the last 10 years or are close to retiring, but if it helps "make America great" who can really argue .......
Old 04-25-2017, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by covey ridge View Post
Part Canada is so busy hating their elected government that pure evil is on their border going unnoticed. In a school yard when a bully attracts a crowd many in the crowd are for the bully.
Even if he's a big fat, orange, illiterate blow hard with a comical comb over.
Old 04-25-2017, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Unfortunate for those who bought in the last 10 years or are close to retiring, but if it helps "make America great" who can really argue .......
I don't see the point of making America great? America does not seem to handle greatness well.
Old 04-25-2017, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puma View Post
From what I understand,

Canadian softwood lumber is mostly cut from government lands ie Forest reserve. This is cut by private companies from public lands at very little , almost no cost.

American softwood is cut mostly on privately owned land and the owner is paid market rates for the trees.

This does sound like an unfair advantage.
I can believe that. And i heard our goverment gives subsidies to lumber companies to make them more competitive.(read cheaper like bombardier subsidies)

Instead of our government getting the tax payers off the hook, we now have to pay a third tax (tariff) on our natural resources going south.

Our whole system needs a rehaul.

Maybe they should make it like oil and have a standing price for timber continent wide. Then extra monies we get from provincial lands harvested goes into roadways and recreational opportunities in the same lands.
Old 04-25-2017, 11:58 AM

Maybe milk and lumber will be more affordable now!
Old 04-25-2017, 12:00 PM
Banned

Quote:
The status quo is just as unfortunate. How about all those who couldn't afford to buy in the last 10 years? Or all those who are struggling with the increasing cost of living in their retirement?

Canadians have been living beyond their means for a long time. There's no point in artificially prolonging it just because someone people will inevitably face harder times.

Alberta makes poor use of our oil resources. It verges on a big business / big government conspiracy. We'd be best off to leave them in the ground for now.

But hey, Notley is on your side. She really wants royalties and to keep dollars in Alberta to maximize her tax revenue, so maybe she will protect us from Trump:
http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/2017/04..._16209596.html
Old 04-25-2017, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Not really, just an idiotic comment that could not be held back.
I guess my sarcasm didn't come through.
There will be people leaving in droves if he follows through on his promises and drives the unemployment rate up a few more percent, but those that remain will see there assets (homes) further decline in value. How do you buy ammo, gas, etc. when your out of work ????
Old 04-25-2017, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Even if he's a big fat, orange, illiterate blow hard with a comical comb over.
If that big fat, orange, illiterate blow hard with a comical comb over has the largest gang in the world behind him he is a bully.

If that big fat, orange, illiterate blow hard with a comical comb over was an actual youngster on a school yard and not just a metaphor he would be a loner and a looser. He would be forced to live with a constant wedgie between his butt cheeks

I think those many wedgies have made him the person he is.

But that big fat, orange, illiterate blow hard with a comical comb over must have something going for him because RedFrog is in love
Old 04-25-2017, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
exactly! Unfortunately having trudeau as our leader is hurting our economy, and it's only going to get worse, unless he starts working to build our economy, rather than giving away our hard earned money to non canadians.
100%
Old 04-25-2017, 12:08 PM

Quote:
I don't see the point of making America great? America does not seem to handle greatness well.
Canada has no room to talk in that regard either.
Old 04-25-2017, 12:10 PM

Simple solution would be to make the Lumber companies in Canada pay more to harvest lumber on crown land to make up for the perceived subsidy. At least the money would be staying in Canada.
Old 04-25-2017, 12:23 PM
Banned

This was the main reason that I didn't want Trump to win the election. I don't really care about his wall, medicare, immigration policies, etc, because they don't really effect us. His campaign promise to renegotiate NAFA concerned me because it can impact us greatly.

Face it, Trump has us over a barrel and we are going to get hooped if that's what he wants to do. Maybe he'll have pity on Canada but I doubt it. He's a business man and he will only settle for what's best for the USA.

Justin attacking the O&G industry and Trump attacking our other resources is going to hurt us really bad.
Old 04-25-2017, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmcbride View Post
Simple solution would be to make the Lumber companies in Canada pay more to harvest lumber on crown land to make up for the perceived subsidy. At least the money would be staying in Canada.
No way we should be bullied into charging what the US perceives as fair. If the US wants to continue to buy, they will be paying more. I guess we will be establishing markets elsewhere. Probably too long in coming.
Old 04-25-2017, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikeslayer22 View Post
Maybe milk and lumber will be more affordable now!
And gas in the near future !!!!
Old 04-25-2017, 12:43 PM
Gone Hunting

"But that big fat, orange, illiterate blow hard with a comical comb over must have something going for him because RedFrog is in love"

You conveniently left out very rich, successful, leader of the most powerful country on the planet. But hey if it makes you feel better about yourself to sling crap I understand. I've watched the monkeys in the zoo.

"As much as I am not a fan of Justin, your hero Trump has not had much success since he's been in office........just saying "

Hero? Sorry to disappoint but you and I see things differently. I'm not looking for a hero, i'm looking for someone who is hired to do a very difficult job and for the most part does it well.

You know. like your heroine Notley.

It isn't a question of who will allow me, but who will stop me.. Ayn Rand
Old 04-25-2017, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 260 Rem View Post
No way we should be bullied into charging what the US perceives as fair. If the US wants to continue to buy, they will be paying more. I guess we will be establishing markets elsewhere. Probably too long in coming.
When you have a spineless , and clueless leader, it's easy to bully him, I fear that Trump will roar, Trudeau will wet his pants, and the Canadian economy will be hurt as a result.
Old 04-25-2017, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Map Maker View Post
I can believe that. And i heard our goverment gives subsidies to lumber companies to make them more competitive.(read cheaper like bombardier subsidies)

Instead of our government getting the tax payers off the hook, we now have to pay a third tax (tariff) on our natural resources going south.

Our whole system needs a rehaul.

Maybe they should make it like oil and have a standing price for timber continent wide. Then extra monies we get from provincial lands harvested goes into roadways and recreational opportunities in the same lands.
Errrrr.... not exactly. Actually so damn far away. The Americans lose every time they try this chit. They actually had to pay back several billion in tariffs and duties improperly collected. They have lost at every turn under NAFTA and at the World Trade Organization. Just like they will this time. It will take time to get this overturned again. In the mean time Cletus and the Trump fanboys can feel warm and fuzzy.
Old 04-25-2017, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 357Maximum View Post
"This is cut by private companies from public lands at very little , almost no cost."

Just where did you come up with that "fact" ?
$0.82 / cubic meter is the current Alberta Crown timber dues (April 2017 pulp wood)

Cheap enough for you ?

Last edited by Puma; 04-25-2017 at 12:52 PM.
Old 04-25-2017, 12:57 PM

Quote:
$0.82 / cubic meter is the current Alberta Crown timber dues (April 2017)

Cheap enough for you ?
Is it our fault that the Crown owns the majority of land in Canada? Come on sheeple open your eyes. The American lumber industry is controlled by a few very wealthy folks. Fact is they can't supply enough lumber for their own needs but by manipulating the US government they get to make more on what they can produce. Take note Trump fanboys the real loser in this is the American consumer. They will pay more for lumber. P.S. southern yellow pine which makes up the majority of the US supply is chit. That's why US contractors prefer our lumber. That Trump sure is some kind of businessman, and looks out for the little guy too.
Old 04-25-2017, 12:58 PM

Quote:
$0.82 / cubic meter is the current Alberta Crown timber dues (April 2017 pulp wood)

Cheap enough for you ?
Pulp wood is used to make paper but no sense confusing this issue with facts.
Old 04-25-2017, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wellpastcold View Post
Is it our fault that the Crown owns the majority of land in Canada? Come on sheeple open your eyes. The American lumber industry is controlled by a few very wealthy folks. Fact is they can't supply enough lumber for their own needs but by manipulating the US government they get to make more on what they can produce. Take note Trump fanboys the real loser in this is the American consumer. They will pay more for lumber. P.S. southern yellow pine which makes up the majority of the US supply is chit. That's why US contractors prefer our lumber. That Trump sure is some kind of businessman, and looks out for the little guy too.
So the lumber companies are making money off crown land which belongs to all Canadians? I thought the left were against this sort of thing?

Like it or not, the lumber dispute has been happening for years and the last Softwood Lumber Agreement expired on October 12, 2015. Trudeau probably should have made this a priority instead of catering to ABC (anyone but Canadians).
Old 04-25-2017, 01:11 PM

I'll tell you what might get Trumps attention. A Chinese naval visit on the left coast and a Russian visit on the right. Might give him a little reminder of why its a good idea to keep friends with neighbors that hold land of prime strategic importance to the US.
Old 04-25-2017, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redfrog View Post
"But that big fat, orange, illiterate blow hard with a comical comb over must have something going for him because RedFrog is in love"

You conveniently left out very rich, successful, leader of the most powerful country on the planet. But hey if it makes you feel better about yourself to sling crap I understand. I've watched the monkeys in the zoo.

"As much as I am not a fan of Justin, your hero Trump has not had much success since he's been in office........just saying "

Hero? Sorry to disappoint but you and I see things differently. I'm not looking for a hero, i'm looking for someone who is hired to do a very difficult job and for the most part does it well.

You know. like your heroine Notley.
Actually I don't believe you have heard me ever stand up for Notley. You're just making things up now kinda like Donald does.......
Old 04-25-2017, 01:22 PM

Quote:
From what I understand,

Canadian softwood lumber is mostly cut from government lands ie Forest reserve. This is cut by private companies from public lands at very little , almost no cost.

American softwood is cut mostly on privately owned land and the owner is paid market rates for the trees.

This does sound like an unfair advantage.
That's why it's been an issue for so long. Pretty much since NAFTA started.
Old 04-25-2017, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pekan View Post
That's why it's been an issue for so long. Pretty much since NAFTA started.
In the last 30 years the US has applied tarriffs 4 times and each time Canada went to court and every time it was overturned and the US had to repay the collected tarrif.
Likely the same now

MAC

Save time... see it my way
Old 04-25-2017, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAC View Post
In the last 30 years the US has applied tarriffs 4 times and each time Canada went to court and every time it was overturned and the US had to repay the collected tarrif.
Likely the same now

MAC
But this time it will be different cuz the TV reality star says so......