Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 04-25-2017, 02:04 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by KegRiver View Post
This country was founded by and developed by people who's only mode of transportation was foot mobile. Either their own, or a horse's.
This country prospered without the need for speed.

Today's decedents of those proud and resourceful settlers can not survive if they have to obey a simple traffic law. A simple reduction of 10k will bring about the end of the world.
Those resourceful settlers were proud that they didn't have a nanny government controlling what they were and were not allowed to do every moment of their lives. In fact, that's what they were fleeing from in Europe. They opted for the dangerous unknown of the new frontier where they knew life would be hard, but they would be free. Many of them died along the way, but it was worth it to them.

Now, most of their descendants want a big nanny government to take care of them. They are broken with grief any time someone dies and cry out for the nanny government to make them safer. They are no longer proud or resourceful, or if they are it's in a very different context.

Last edited by cardshark; 04-25-2017 at 02:10 PM.
Old 04-25-2017, 02:13 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardshark View Post
Those resourceful settlers were proud that they didn't have a nanny government controlling what they were and were not allowed to do every moment of their lives. In fact, that's what they were fleeing from in Europe. They opted for the dangerous unknown of the new frontier where they knew life would be hard, but they would be free. Many of them died along the way, but it was worth it to them.

Now, most of their descendants want a big nanny government to take care of them. They are broken with grief any time someone dies and cry out for the nanny government to make them safer. They are no longer proud or resourceful, or if they are it's in a very different context.
Indeed.

George Bernard Shaw
Old 04-25-2017, 05:55 PM

Quote:

I might be interpreting something wrong. But I'm reading a business is making a decision, weather based on fuel costs or truck down time or.... How does this in any way the government.
I believe other oilfield companies have similar protocols. Capitalism at work! 8-)
Old 04-25-2017, 08:12 PM
Banned

Quote:

Yes. Nothing wrong with grieving for a dead person, but to hold the government responsible would have been reprehensible for any generation before the turn of the millennium.
Old 04-25-2017, 08:19 PM

thanks , interesting read . when i hear the term " lane splitting " i think of the crotch rockets blowing down the center line at 200 kph . these articles talk of speeds 90 kph and less and make some good points for slow or snarled up traffic .

i'll send you a pm .
Old 04-25-2017, 08:23 PM
Suspended User

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB_AOL View Post
Bought into the whole "speed kills" thing haven't you..

The problem isn't the speed differential, it's the entitled person not respecting or following rules. Oh, and by entitled, I mean EVERYONE, doesn't matter the generation. How many of you create a rolling roadblock in the left lane? Let me guess? no one..lol. How many people have pulled over to let people pass?

By allowing Lafarge (or anyone for that matter) to submit a complaint with evidence is going to bog down LEO and the court system even more. Now if cops ask for evidence, that's another thing.

Mr.dave, I agree with the rest of your post.
I actually​live along Highway 2. At Innisfail, and see monthly what happens on the highway. Every year we get someone crash because of high speeds. No other reason than driving so fast that the simply swerve a little too much, then spill their brains on the payment.
One night I had to listen to the helicopter fly back and forth searching for an ejected woman. I have to drive that highway all the time and see that high speeds kill.
Old 04-25-2017, 11:44 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newview01 View Post
Yes. Nothing wrong with grieving for a dead person, but to hold the government responsible would have been reprehensible for any generation before the turn of the millennium.
There is nothing wrong with grieving the death of a loved one. There is something wrong with viewing the fact of death as a bad thing, or viewing the death of every anonymous stranger as a great tragedy. What is wrong is that most people view suffering and death as something to be eliminated from the world, rather than as an integral part of life that should be embraced and spiritualized. It's a very unhealthy mentality to be so against something that is a necessary part of the circle of life.

The way they hope to eliminate it is by creating an ever-growing nanny state which will protect us from ourselves by gradually taking away all our freedoms.

Contrast that with the mentality of our ancestors who settled this country: they sought freedom and were happy to take great risks to get it. What changed along the way? We got too comfortable and no longer have any purpose to our lives. We are no longer proud people who desire freedom and the fullest life. We settled for dependence and comfort.

Nowadays men who desire freedom don't have a new continent to settle. Their best option is to break as many rules as they can and hope they can get away with it. The human herd animals who desire safety hate these dangerous troublemakers and are happy to report them to their nanny overlords.

Last edited by cardshark; 04-25-2017 at 11:50 PM.
Old 04-26-2017, 01:42 AM

Quote:
There is nothing wrong with grieving the death of a loved one. There is something wrong with viewing the fact of death as a bad thing, or viewing the death of every anonymous stranger as a great tragedy. What is wrong is that most people view suffering and death as something to be eliminated from the world, rather than as an integral part of life that should be embraced and spiritualized. It's a very unhealthy mentality to be so against something that is a necessary part of the circle of life.

The way they hope to eliminate it is by creating an ever-growing nanny state which will protect us from ourselves by gradually taking away all our freedoms.

Contrast that with the mentality of our ancestors who settled this country: they sought freedom and were happy to take great risks to get it. What changed along the way? We got too comfortable and no longer have any purpose to our lives. We are no longer proud people who desire freedom and the fullest life. We settled for dependence and comfort.

Nowadays men who desire freedom don't have a new continent to settle. Their best option is to break as many rules as they can and hope they can get away with it. The human herd animals who desire safety hate these dangerous troublemakers and are happy to report them to their nanny overlords.
Interesting percpective. I think it's pretty much bang on.
Old 04-26-2017, 02:47 AM

I have no idea how one think that someone breaking the law by speeding on s road or breaking the law in other ways causing a death of someone else is justified
We are not living in the 1700's
Cat
Old 04-26-2017, 05:32 AM
Banned

Somewhat of a dichotomy that makes it okay to "drop a dime" on distracted drivers (see the argument over cell phone use) but a horror that someone might dial 262-RATS on speeders.

And what the heck does lane splitting have to do with rolling mix trucks??
Old 04-26-2017, 08:34 AM

Default New Bumper Sticker

I'm getting some of these made up:

REPORT TRAFFIC FLOW IMPEDERS

Creeky....

#I Am An Outdoorsman And I Approve This Message

#creativity can't wait for technology
Old 04-26-2017, 01:09 PM

Funny video of a cop and a Honda Civic in the slow lane.

https://www.facebook.com/explorerhum...2712738466874/
Old 04-26-2017, 01:19 PM

In the 1970's when the big fuel crisis hit the States they reduced the speed limit across the country on all there roads by 10 mph in order to save fuel. Not only did it prove to be a huge fuel saver the accident rate on the highways dropped drastically.
Old 04-26-2017, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrDave View Post
I actually​live along Highway 2. At Innisfail, and see monthly what happens on the highway. Every year we get someone crash because of high speeds. No other reason than driving so fast that the simply swerve a little too much, then spill their brains on the payment.
One night I had to listen to the helicopter fly back and forth searching for an ejected woman. I have to drive that highway all the time and see that high speeds kill.
I also know of incidents where people were killed at low speed . So.. I guess any speed kills..

Or is it maybe dangerous driving that kills.

Ever notice that "speed was a factor" in every "report", but not the cause? Suspicious, isn't it?

But keep drinking the Koolaide..
Old 04-26-2017, 09:29 PM

This is the article quote: "Lafarge Canada volunteered its slow-moving concrete trucks as pace cars Friday in Edmonton's push to reduce speeding and traffic fatalities.But the partnership could go further, said Bruce Willmer, regional vice-president for Lafarge Canada, after addressing city councillors on traffic safety Friday. The company's next step is to install forward an"

So I'm going to do one better than LaFarge.
When I see one of their trucks acting as a pace car, I going to help them REALLY do things right. I'm going to get in front of their truck and help them slow down even more. Cause if slowing people down 10km or more below the limit is safe, slowing down even more is even more safer.

I'm going out pace car their pace car actions. But why just slow down 10km below the speed limit? I think slowing down their trucks all the way down to only 5km/hr will ensure there never is a cement truck crushing a vehicle because it couldn't stop. So I'll just stay in front them and change lanes when they do. I can even put on my hazards, flashing like a pilot-cross-pace car for their trucks.

And once the rest of traffic starts flowing around us, they will have to stay in one lane......cause lane changes are a source of accidents and when they can't change lanes.......viola more safety.

Only downside.....might take them a day to deliver a load of cement.

(anybody know how they get cement out of truck mixer if it sets up?)

Good for the goose, good for the gander.

(PS. LaFarge.....if you're that stupid, stick to the cement)

ALSO....never going to give way to allow a LaFarge truck to change lanes and cut in front of me again. And I'll be sure to speed up on the merges......gotta be ahead of them, or your gonna get the pace set for you.

Last edited by DevilsAdvocate; 04-26-2017 at 09:35 PM.
Old 04-26-2017, 09:33 PM

It says they volunteered it doesn't say their offer was accepted
Cat
Old 04-26-2017, 09:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnthehat View Post
It says they volunteered it doesn't say their offer was accepted
Cat
If you volunteer sometime stupid, what does that make you. Acceptance or not of volunteered stupidity isn't an clearance of the label.

Can't remember the last time I volunteered to test land mines.
Old 04-26-2017, 09:55 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevilsAdvocate View Post
This is the article quote: "Lafarge Canada volunteered its slow-moving concrete trucks as pace cars Friday in Edmonton's push to reduce speeding and traffic fatalities.
That is what the reporter said, no place does it say that Lafarge said that.

George Bernard Shaw