Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 04-22-2017, 11:19 AM

Default Fishing Advice? - Fort Providence Territorial Park

Myself and 7 other friends are headed up to Fort Providence Territorial Park, May 19-22. A couple years ago we chose Lady Evelyn Falls, on the Kakisa River, where the fishing was fantastic at the base of the falls. This time, I dropped the ball and did not book on time.

So, I'm looking for the advice of you guys! I'm hoping for specifics in terms of exactly how we might get out for a 2-3 hour fish. What are our options with this park being our base camp?

1. Is the shore-fishing decent? Should I be keeping it simple and fishing right from the shore?

2. We have one canoe with a trolling motor at our disposal - is the current in the Mackenzie strong here? What is the depth like? A couple of us in our party are the adventurous sort to make a bit of a more organized effort to chase the fish, but we are there with the wives and girlfriends, camping, so I'm hoping that some shore-fishing is possible.

Any and all help is appreciated! I know that there are trophy Pike in the Mackenzie, I'd just like to know a bit in terms of what to expect before deciding what to take along, etc.

Thanks guys!
Old 04-22-2017, 03:48 PM

That's a tough River to fish with heavy current. Have to be really dialed in and the spots change all the time cause of the power of it. Lower
Water is better but if she's high it's gonna be tough
Old 04-22-2017, 06:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Safety D View Post
That's a tough River to fish with heavy current. Have to be really dialed in and the spots change all the time cause of the power of it. Lower
Water is better but if she's high it's gonna be tough
Shoot! Sounds like you're speaking from experience? Maybe the day trip to Kakisa idea is our best bet?
Old 04-22-2017, 06:59 PM

Yip
Old 04-24-2017, 08:20 AM

Mackenzie River can be very productive right after ice out. Extremely strong current I would not go out in a canoe plus conditions change rapidly with the ice flows. Fish the gravel bars they used for the ice crossing, if the water levels are good you can catch trophy right from shore (20lb+). If there is an ice jam and the water levels drop the spots to fish are very limited and the fish might not bite at all.