Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 04-20-2017, 11:58 PM

Default Process your own?

I know a lot of people have probably done their own, as I've always taken it to a friends meat shop to get done I've never really had to do much. Now that he's moved away I'm seriously thinking of doing it on my own.
Thoughts and recommendations?

All it takes is for one man to misinterpret something and he can start a war that lasts for decades.
Anonymous
Old 04-21-2017, 12:16 AM

Default Some parts are dead easy

Cutting and wrapping steaks, roasts & stew are dead easy and require minimal investment (string, paper, tape, knives, steel, and an apron). There are a bunch of good YouTube vids on the topic along with a host of info on the Net.

Grinding is as easy (perhaps easier) but you need to invest in a grinder (and a scale for proper ratios). For a few hundred you will get one that will last a lifetime; keep it clean & sharp and you'll have to put in in your will for the kids.

Sausage and jerky are very feasible but a few more bucks yet (spices, casing, mixer, stuffer and maybe smoker) but you will probably earn back your investment in the first year or 2. I was amazed to learn how easy this step is given what I got charged every year for it. You can also tweak the mix for your preferences and you can make sausage any time of year so this step can be deferred outside of the fall.

The key ingredient is time. You need to set aside enough to do a good job no matter what scope you undertake. For me, even if it takes me twice as long I prefer my labor to theirs, kinda therapeutic really.
Old 04-21-2017, 07:57 AM

I do my own and really enjoy it. I would have a hard time taking it to someone now... We vac seal all of the cuts and we bag the ground. The thing I like the most is there is ZERO fat, sinew, hair, blood etc in our finished product. I probably go over board but I love the meat that I take out of the freezer and our dogs appreciate the trim.
I invested in a great grinder and sealer, have good knives and a couple cutting tables. Last year I built a cooler room that has seen a couple antelope and a few elk. It is a great addition.
Next year I've decided to get some sausage equipment and I'll be set!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2043.JPG (118.5 KB, 479 views)
Old 04-21-2017, 08:55 AM

Default Outstanding

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don K View Post
I do my own and really enjoy it. I would have a hard time taking it to someone now... We vac seal all of the cuts and we bag the ground. The thing I like the most is there is ZERO fat, sinew, hair, blood etc in our finished product. I probably go over board but I love the meat that I take out of the freezer and our dogs appreciate the trim.
I invested in a great grinder and sealer, have good knives and a couple cutting tables. Last year I built a cooler room that has seen a couple antelope and a few elk. It is a great addition.
Next year I've decided to get some sausage equipment and I'll be set!
Your setup looks unreal, and so does the work on your meat. I like seeing that. Great job.
Old 04-21-2017, 09:05 AM

unless i'm strapped for time I do my own
if I don't have the time lets say get called back to work unexpectedly
then I get an abattoir to do it
by processing my own over the years I've saved thousands of dollars
shoot where their
going not where they been,
Old 04-21-2017, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sns2 View Post
Your setup looks unreal, and so does the work on your meat. I like seeing that. Great job.
X2. Great job
Old 04-21-2017, 09:06 AM

Don K.

Wow, that's are great looking home cooler!

Terrific looking meat too, I also am super fussy with clean fat less meat. Do all my processing on our own. The young ins get in there too and help. Same as I did, over forty years ago. Why pay big bucks at a butcher.
Old 04-21-2017, 09:27 AM

I have only been hunting for 2 years now and have been processing my own from the start. YouTube was a great resource. Lots of great videos there. I do it all in my garage. I now own a grinder, scale, dehydrator and smoker. This year I plan on purchasing a good vacuum sealer and a real sausage stuffer(I've been using the attachments with the grinder for sausage and peperoni). I also make jerky.
Just take your time. Don't rush. It's very satisfying to take an animal from field to fork.

I've found that this lead to me wanting to learn how to cook more. Keeps me busy and out of trouble. Good luck and enjoy!

Now I look around and wonder if I like them!
Old 04-21-2017, 09:33 AM

First couple tries are scary but you get through it and learn, then the cuts get better and the roasts start to look like roasts lol. Lots of online info. We had a long time neighbor who was a butcher and he cut wild game on the side every fall. So we were spoiled when I was a kid watching him cut up dads and the uncles moose. We have done it forever on our own after he retired and passed away. It is really not that tough to do. Save your good trim for sausage and stew, the rest goes through the grinder for burger.
Old 04-21-2017, 09:44 AM

The most important job in cutting wild game is the cleaning and trimming fat etc. Most meat cutters do not have staff or time to properly clean your wild game.It is very hard to get moose/elk out of bush without some leaves/dirt etc.
Old 04-21-2017, 09:50 AM

Done my own for many years. There's plenty of online articles and YouTube videos, and you can tailor your cuts to your preferred meals (if some guys on here saw how many roasts I turn into jerky, they would flip...but then I like jerky better )

Highly recommend a vacuum sealer. The food saver works as long as you don't do a whole bunch in a row. 3-5 packages, do something else for a few minutes, repeat. Or get one of the commercial grade ones from cabelas.
Old 04-21-2017, 09:58 AM

Biggest mistake that can happen is not removing the big lymph glands/nodes.
And then grinding them into the hamburger.
But if your cutting into grinder manageable strips, you'll see them without a problem.

Top item to invest in....at least a 3/4hp grinder. Even before the electric meat saw.......which will save time on big animals.

I struggled with a cheap grinder for years and dreaded the hamburgering. It chewed up a lot of time fighting the crappy thing.
Old 04-21-2017, 11:16 AM

Meat processing is very therapeutic and enjoyable. There's nothing like inviting a few friends over on a cold winter night and portioning your harvest.
I've done it for many years now and find I'm always learning something every season. Whether it's a more efficient way to do it or better end product…
We grind, make fresh and smoked sausage, ham, the list is endless for possibilities. It's all in how you prepare and cook it.
The hidden gem cuts are amazing: the tri tip(barbecue with the deer fat-trust me it's delicious), front shoulder braising, shank-stewing all the sinew and tendon down into a slow cooker full of deliciousness ), ribs and of course the standard loin and tenderloin.
I'm getting hungry just thinkin about it
I believe all of my equipment has paid for itself in less than two years of avoiding the butcher. We have a really nice Cabela's three-quarter horsepower grinder, a sausage stuffer-German made, all the knives and tables. You can't go wrong
Old 04-21-2017, 11:47 AM

that's all I do is process my own meat.
Old 04-21-2017, 12:16 PM

It is probably my most favorite part of the hunt; getting the meat ready to eat!
Old 04-21-2017, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fur View Post
It is probably my most favorite part of the hunt; getting the meat ready to eat!
Not quite my FAVOURITE part of the hunt, but it is really rewarding. You have more control over cuts and quality and you learn a lot. It's easy to do a decent job but you could spend a lifetime learning everything.

If I was just starting out, I'd buy a good boning knife ($30) and a decent vacuum sealer ($200ish). That's all you really need.

More space is nice but it doesn't take much. One year I butchered two deer in a one bedroom downtown apartment. I think one of my neighbours was wondering what was in those big duffle bags...
Old 04-21-2017, 05:28 PM

i cut up my moose this year p-18 in my back yard on a picnic table ground some burger with the grinder i got at cabela's for 200.00 bucks on sale .then i was talking to a friend who got his moose cut up at a butcher in northern alberta cost him 1100.00 dollars . i even made some sausage with the grinder attachments .i say go for it , very satisfying to do it yourself and you will get better every year you do it .
Old 04-21-2017, 05:41 PM
Banned

$1100 for reefer trailer
$1500 for new cooler compressor
$350 for grinder
$250 for stainless cutting table
$100 for worksharp sharpener
$200 for flat iron hanging rail
$200 for meat hooks
$1000 for minute steak maker
$550 for freezer
Blast freezer donated
Hobart meat saw donated just gotta go get it
Can't remember how much knives cost
Can't remember what wrapping paper was worth.
Hunting,processing and eating you own meat PRICELESS
Old 04-21-2017, 09:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevilsAdvocate View Post
Biggest mistake that can happen is not removing the big lymph glands/nodes.
And then grinding them into the hamburger.
Please tell more
Old 04-22-2017, 03:26 AM

My hunting partners and I do our own as well. We can all agree on steaks.... as far as what spice we make the sausage with, whether we use pork or beef trim for the ground, are we doing any jerky?... that is all debated right to the point of putting the packages in the freezer.
It is a fun social event though, we all get together, the wives wash and wrap, the dogs have the happiest night(s) of the year and we all BS about the hunting season that was.
One pointer, have a good stone beside your cutting board, it is amazing what a difference a sharp knife makes.
Old 04-22-2017, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twobucks View Post
Not quite my FAVOURITE part of the hunt, but it is really rewarding. You have more control over cuts and quality and you learn a lot. It's easy to do a decent job but you could spend a lifetime learning everything.

If I was just starting out, I'd buy a good boning knife ($30) and a decent vacuum sealer ($200ish). That's all you really need.

More space is nice but it doesn't take much. One year I butchered two deer in a one bedroom downtown apartment. I think one of my neighbours was wondering what was in those big duffle bags...
The control is a huge positive from a DIY perspective for sure.
Old 04-22-2017, 09:30 AM

This is one of my favorite videos I found on YouTube for processing a deer. It shows removing the lymph nodes. It's not too long and gives you a great general idea on cuts and such. There's others that are good and go into way more https://youtu.be/H2UsVd9d8vI

Now I look around and wonder if I like them!
Old 04-22-2017, 09:54 AM

I processed my first deer with the (major) help of a good friend. Kitchen table covered in butcher paper. Big stainless bowls from Princess Auto, basic kitchen knives. The only "fancy" gear I used was a really good grinder that belongs to my friend. After doing it I couldn't imagine paying butchers to do the work, not unless you really didn't have the time. I seem to hear so many butcher horror stories about missing meat, pooled meat, spoiled or dirty meat. Eeek!

We debone in the field so a major chunk of the work is already done by the time we get home.

We make sure there's enough room in the fridge that we can keep the meat cool until we have time process. There's usually spare Coleman coolers somewhere if we need more space, but it's not too hard to fit 2 deer's worth of meat - unprocessed - in the fridge :-)

It's important to have an understanding spouse. A buddy to teach you, or at least watch the same youtube videos and help you muddle through would be ideal, but I wouldn't be afraid to go it alone.

Good luck!
Old 04-23-2017, 03:33 AM

I prefer to do my own butchering. I have found youtube to have quite a bit of valuable information on how to butcher game meat.
One of my favorites is Scott Rea. Hes a butcher of 20+ years and shows how to break an animal down into primal muscle groups and then into individual cuts (roasts, steaks, etc.).

A couple of his videos are here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hn0f...nAwZKN&index=1

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Poaw...yy0wPp_vnAwZKN

Good luck! just take your time and have fun. It isnt very difficult and it gives you an excuse to have a few pops.
Old 04-23-2017, 12:29 PM

Doing your own processing can be done inexpensively and will yield better quality results than a shop. The plastic tables from Costco are good working tables. Iuse an engine hoist for the carcass, the ability to wheel around is nice. Later, I bought a cheap vacuum sealer and this prevents freezer burn. I have only one quality butcher knife and sharpen as needed. Last fall, I bought a 1 HP grinder from cabellas with the sausage attachment. My wife and daughter really like to help with this work.
I recommend that you try it in steps and buys as you need. It can be slot of fun.
Old 04-23-2017, 03:26 PM
Banned

Processing your own game saves money and gives you a better quality of meat. I consider processing my own game as a part of the hunt.

I learned back in the VCR days and this is what I did. I have a wild game butchering video and I set up a VCR and TV in the garage with the remote control in a ziplock bag. I'd watch the cuts being made, pause, and make the cut that I just watched. If I wasn't sure I'd rewind and watch again. It was relatively easy to learn that way and after doing one deer I pretty much had it down pat. I did the same with moose. I guess that now a days you could set up an iPad and do the same with YouTube videos. Good luck.
Old 04-23-2017, 05:19 PM

Processing my own since my first deer 32 years ago. Not sure how much I've saved by not going to a butcher but I am certain it would be a small fortune by now. And I always feel a sense of accomplishment in doing it all myself.
Old 04-23-2017, 05:21 PM
Banned

Once I felt that I got burned badly by a commercial butchering shop, I've decided to process my own. We now make it a family affair. We have a cast iron frying pan on the burner, some red wine, french baggetes and bruchetta as we butcher and make our own. Last year, we delved into making sausage, smokies and pepperoni sticks. Never looked back since then.
Old 04-23-2017, 06:50 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by gitrdun View Post
Once I felt that I got burned badly by a commercial butchering shop, I've decided to process my own. We now make it a family affair. We have a cast iron frying pan on the burner, some red wine, french baggetes and bruchetta as we butcher and make our own. Last year, we delved into making sausage, smokies and pepperoni sticks. Never looked back since then.
That's what it's all about. I'm also partial to cooking ribs over a cedar wood fire.
Old 04-23-2017, 10:39 PM

Default Processing Your Own

Go for it! Even if you feel a bit lost a first you will quickly find the way and recognize where and how you need to cut/slice. As previously mentioned, a couple of folding legs plastic tables, a vacuum dealer machine, a set of sharp butchering knives and a few buddies and you are set. We have been butchering our own venison for more than 30 years. We love the results: no bone dust or fat to go rancid in the freezer; no hair; steaks and roasts the size we like; and much cheaper than at the butcher shop.