Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 04-20-2017, 08:05 PM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rio56 View Post
I already said I was talking more about where this could go with players ..what more do you want ...

What happens if a player boards and finishes McDavid's career .. got some answers now
Your right about player in player, that crap has to stop but this is not about that this is about wideman and his boneheaded move.

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 04-20-2017, 08:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 58thecat View Post
Your right about player in player, that crap has to stop but this is not about that this is about wideman and his boneheaded move.
that's my point ..where does it end ...be careful what you wish for .. done with this
Old 04-20-2017, 08:11 PM

Injuries are part of the game as a player, refs are not subject to the same kind of punishment. If a ref was hurt by a puck to the face this wouldn't even be an issue.

Rio wake up a ref being intentionally hit is like your co-worker hitting you with a bat. Wideman is lucky he wasn't charged criminally.
Old 04-20-2017, 08:12 PM

Quote:
that's my point ..where does it end ...be careful what you wish for .. done with this
It starts with the players to smarten up and the league clamping down very hard, half a season sitting gets attention for starters.

Old 04-20-2017, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_W View Post
Injuries are part of the game as a player, refs are not subject to the same kind of punishment. If a ref was hurt by a puck to the face this wouldn't even be an issue.
Rio wake up a ref being intentionally hit is like your co-worker hitting you with a bat. Wideman is lucky he wasn't charged criminally.
that's stupid ... pucks hurt/damage so why not sue
Old 04-20-2017, 08:18 PM

Quote:
That was a short step away...said you were done with this...go oilers

Old 04-20-2017, 08:21 PM

No question is it was unacceptable by Wideman.

My issue is the lawsuit. Can Johnny Hockey sue Eric Staal for slashing his hand and breaking his finger, thats not suppost to be part of the game, can Methot sue Crosby for slashing his hand and mutilating his finger and forcing him to miss playoff games, thats not suppost to be part of the game, can the above tennis ump sue Denis for breaking his face, thats not suppost to be part of the game, etc. etc. etc. How do you judge this, intent, almost impossible to prove, especially if Widemen was disorientated himself, only if injury occurs? Does that open the door for Chris Pronger, Scott Stevens, Marc Savard, Conner McDavid from last season. Maybe only officials can sue players if they get hurt?
Old 04-20-2017, 08:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_W View Post
Injuries are part of the game as a player, refs are not subject to the same kind of punishment.
If you've watched hockey throughout the years you'll know its not uncommon for refs to get occasionally slashed, knocked over, tripped, hit with the puck, punched, cut with skates, etc. So does it become intent? If so, thats tricky to prove, hence the lengthy suspension, suspension reduction, and failed case to overturn reduction.
Old 04-20-2017, 08:34 PM

I don't like the Alberta Govt being involved trying to recoup some health care costs back. That could really open a can of worms.
Old 04-20-2017, 08:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trochu View Post
If you've watched hockey throughout the years you'll know its not uncommon for refs to get occasionally slashed, knocked over, tripped, hit with the puck, punched, cut with skates, etc. So does it become intent? If so, thats tricky to prove, hence the lengthy suspension, suspension reduction, and failed case to overturn reduction.
Absolutely intent.
Old 04-20-2017, 08:55 PM

Arrow

Just claim NCR. Isn't that the new thing.
Old 04-20-2017, 08:56 PM

I believe that there are certain risked involved being an official in hockey. Getting 12 people to accept that getting crosschecked for behind is an acceptable risk for a official. I think not.
Player to Player and getting crosschecked for behind is far more acceptable, I don't agree with it being ok, but it occurs more weather its accidental or on propose.
When you lace your skates up each day you know what you can expect on the ice. That was not expected or acceptable when you are an official.
Old 04-20-2017, 09:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Off in the Bushes View Post
I believe that there are certain risked involved being an official in hockey. Getting 12 people to accept that getting crosschecked for behind is an acceptable risk for a official. I think not.
Player to Player and getting crosschecked for behind is far more acceptable, I don't agree with it being ok, but it occurs more weather its accidental or on propose.
When you lace your skates up each day you know what you can expect on the ice. That was not expected or acceptable when you are an official.
Agreed and having 12 people look at that tape with no one else in the picture they would be hard pressed to see anything else other than intent to harm.

The $10M seems steep -- when NHL Referee and Linesmen Salaries in 2013-14 were shown as:
NHL Referees: $165k – $360k+, Linesmen: $110k – $235k+ USD

On another site it said the linesman was 59 so 6 years earning to retirement at the top end $1.4M -- now add for pain and suffering what amount would that be?

The province getting involved in this one is absurd --- they have not sued any crime member for wounding someone, or people charged in accidents where there are injuries to recover health care costs. Looks like someone in justice does not like hockey or Pro sports and the money made. Hopefully that should be tossed quickly.
Old 04-20-2017, 11:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okotokian View Post
Wow. That ref is taking him to the cleaners. I assume a negotiated settlement will turn out to be much less, but.... The Flames are also named as a defendant.

One eye-opener: The government of Alberta is also joining as a plaintiff, to cover past and future healthcare costs they have to shell out! Amazing! Can we expect the government to be suing everyone who criminally causes injury in the future??????

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl-linesman-hende...lames-1.729827
Maybe the government is just trying to scratch together the first payment for that new arena which Ken King and the Flames insist that we owe them.
Old 04-21-2017, 02:34 AM
Banned

Default .

YUP, hope the man wins what he deserves , $10 million from Wildman , and $20 million from the flames for letting him still play and not kicking him off the team.
Old 04-21-2017, 02:37 AM
Banned

Quote:

Your missing one point , hit by puck is ACCIDENTAL.
Old 04-21-2017, 06:58 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by boonie View Post
I don't like the Alberta Govt being involved trying to recoup some health care costs back. That could really open a can of worms.
There is a piece of legislation that says if you are a Plaintiff and you sue the person who injured you, the Plaintiff has to include a claim on behalf of the Province for expenses associated with the injury. If the Plaintiff doesn't do this, the Province can puraue this claim against the Plaintif. The Province doesn't usually weugh in on whether to sue or not just gets automatucally added to such personal injury claims.
Old 04-21-2017, 08:19 AM

May be some of the goalies that are taking a beating by continually been run should start a lawsuit. That way we get get goalies back to stopping the puck and not worrying about been smashed into the net. I do not see the goalies in other sports taking a beating the way NHL goalies do.
Old 04-21-2017, 08:58 AM

Default Well , well , well....

It is about time. What I have learned over all these years, is that rich people only listen when it costs them money.

These players as children train and play the game they love work very hard, their parents make sacrifices and they finally make it to the NHL, where it turns out that gratuitous violence is not just condoned but encouraged.

In spite of what Don I played without a helmet Cherry says, people have been seriously hurt in hockey fights, killed even.

It is long past time for this to stop.

This may encourage a suit against the league which will bring a cure.
Old 04-21-2017, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by densa44 View Post
It is about time. What I have learned over all these years, is that rich people only listen when it costs them money.

These players as children train and play the game they love work very hard, their parents make sacrifices and they finally make it to the NHL, where it turns out that gratuitous violence is not just condoned but encouraged.

In spite of what Don I played without a helmet Cherry says, people have been seriously hurt in hockey fights, killed even.

I didn't realize that these grown men are being forced into this? At least they are paid handsomely for the risk

Different mindset.....I'm of the opinion we should still have somewhat of a choice in how we run our lives....
Old 04-21-2017, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by densa44 View Post

Not only is this irrelevant in the current situation but it is also false. For one it has nothing to do with player on player violence at all. He took a hard hit and lashed out at an official. That's never been condoned in any league. Ever. For two the game HAS changed considerably. I played in some very high calibre leagues against some very tough guys and most of what I did was fight. It was encouraged. That is no longer the case. It's a completely different game now than it was 10 years ago. Violence is most certainly not condoned nor is it encouraged anymore.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 04-21-2017, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trochu View Post
I can't see him winning this.
Who, the ref? Of course he will win. Maybe not the whole amount, but he has had his life irreparably harmed. Wideman is for sure paying some number of millions. And deliberately hitting the ref isn't the same as deliberately hitting another player. The latter is part of the game. The former isn't.
Old 04-21-2017, 10:32 AM

Quote:
happens just about every game
As I said above, different between a player and a ref. The ref is not supposed to be a party to the physical play. And I suspect if a player hit another unsuspecting player like that from behind when the pick was miles away, and he caused that sort of damage, the offending player would get sued as well. The Steve Moore case should have taught everyone that it is NOT "anything goes" on the ice once the game starts. The penalty can and should be more than just a league imposed suspension or fine.

Luckily for him, Wideman is sufficiently overpaid that he should be able to handle the penalty.

Last edited by Okotokian; 04-21-2017 at 10:43 AM.
Old 04-21-2017, 10:33 AM

Quote:
As I said above, different between a player and a ref. The ref is not supposed to be a party to the physical play. And I suspect if a player hit another unsuspecting player like that from behind when the pick was miles away, and he caused that sort of damage, the offending player would get sued as well. The Steve Moore case should have taught everyone that it is NOT "anything goes" on the ice once the game starts.

This ^^^

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 04-21-2017, 10:53 AM

Quote:
As I said above, different between a player and a ref. The ref is not supposed to be a party to the physical play. And I suspect if a player hit another unsuspecting player like that from behind when the pick was miles away, and he caused that sort of damage, the offending player would get sued as well. The Steve Moore case should have taught everyone that it is NOT "anything goes" on the ice once the game starts. The penalty can and should be more than just a league imposed suspension or fine.

Luckily for him, Wideman is sufficiently overpaid that he should be able to handle the penalty.
Of course I don't condone a player abusing a ref in any shape or form, but as for the players themselves and the "anything goes eg:fighting", it would put quite a spin on MMA/UFC, which seems quite popular?
Old 04-21-2017, 11:21 AM

Someone please prove to me this was a deliberate act.It is 100% unfortunate and Henderson is for sure entitled to some recompense.
Old 04-21-2017, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The moose View Post
Someone please prove to me this was a deliberate act.It is 100% unfortunate and Henderson is for sure entitled to some recompense.
Looked deliberate. He didn't accidently skate into him. He raised his arms and cross checked him, hard, from behind. Did you not see the replay? And the NHL doesn't suspend players for accidents.
Old 04-21-2017, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The moose View Post
Have you not seen the video? Saw him, took a quick step and raised his stick and drilled him from behind. Was likely a concussion and he might not have been aware of who his target was but doesn't change it was a deliberate act on an official.
Old 04-21-2017, 12:16 PM

Why is the government of Canada suing for costs for "dental surgery services, optometric services, chiropractic services" when they do not pay for those in the first place? Those are not publicly (government) funded practices...
Old 04-21-2017, 12:23 PM

Absolutely deliberate....Just want to know what he was thinking at the time...Frustration is one thing but hitting a referee in a vulnerable position is absurd

Sorry, but do not believe for one minute that concussion systems would make him lash out on a referee.....