Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 04-13-2017, 05:49 AM

Default BHA Alberta Chapter

I have heard rumblings of a BHA chapter in starting up in Alberta.
I am really keen to become a member does anyone know who to contact? The website has a section for BC but nothing in Alberta yet.
Old 04-13-2017, 06:21 AM

What is BHA??
Cat
Old 04-13-2017, 06:30 AM

Back country Hunters and Anglers I believe. They protect access to public lands for all uses.
Old 04-13-2017, 06:39 AM

Quote:
What is BHA??
Back country hunters and anglers as 6mm rem said.
Old 04-13-2017, 06:42 AM

Thanks
Cat
Old 04-13-2017, 06:50 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6mm rem View Post
Back country Hunters and Anglers I believe. They protect access to public lands for all uses.
For all uses, that is rediculous...so what you fly over and take a picture...oops wait the airplane might cast a shadow and upset the breeding grounds of the great Canadian hairy tortoise

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 04-13-2017, 07:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 58thecat View Post
For all uses, that is rediculous...so what you fly over and take a picture...oops wait the airplane might cast a shadow and upset the breeding grounds of the great Canadian hairy tortoise
Sounds like you're confused. They have a website if you want to inform yourself. They want to keep access available for hunters, anglers ,hikers etc..
Old 04-13-2017, 07:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Echo-Gecko View Post
I have heard rumblings of a BHA chapter in starting up in Alberta.
I am really keen to become a member does anyone know who to contact? The website has a section for BC but nothing in Alberta yet.
Yes, an Alberta chapter is in the process of being formed. Presently, you join through the Montana HQ:
http://www.backcountryhunters.org/
Once the chapter is official, it will be pretty autonomous with funding remaining in the province to pursue local projects and events.
The organization is all about protecting wildlands for quality hunting and fishing opportunities. The chapter has made a submission to the Castle parks planners demonstrating that many hunters and anglers appreciate the hunting opportunities that will be possible in the new parks.
Old 04-13-2017, 08:12 AM

That is awesome, I was just looking into joining last week when I saw no Alberta chapter, was gonna write them an email about that but I guess no need now. Really good organization, the kind of which we are in need under the current regime.
Old 04-13-2017, 08:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Meredith View Post
Yes, an Alberta chapter is in the process of being formed. Presently, you join through the Montana HQ:
Once the chapter is official, it will be pretty autonomous with funding remaining in the province to pursue local projects and events.
The organization is all about protecting wildlands for quality hunting and fishing opportunities. The chapter has made a submission to the Castle parks planners demonstrating that many hunters and anglers appreciate the hunting opportunities that will be possible in the new parks.
Thanks Don

I am really excited about this!
Old 04-13-2017, 08:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Echo-Gecko View Post
That is awesome, I was just looking into joining last week when I saw no Alberta chapter, was gonna write them an email about that but I guess no need now. Really good organization, the kind of which we are in need under the current regime.
Great minds think alike, I was going to email the BC chapter a couple of months ago to ask what it would take to get a AB chapter going, got busy at work and my ADD brain filed it in the procrastination folder.

I started to hear rumblings about it coming down the pipe a few weeks ago.

And would like to contribute in any way that I can to see it become a success.
Old 04-13-2017, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Think you have the wrong idea there Charlie, are you thinking of Y2Y?
Old 04-13-2017, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Meredith View Post

What is the BHA's stance on Grizzly hunting? Since they are closely associated with Y2Y, and Y2Y are over the top about Grizzly conservation I don't think supporting BHA will help us see a Grizzly hunt here again.
Old 04-13-2017, 03:04 PM

I don't think they have a particular stance on grizzly hunting, except it should be done in a quality manner when numbers warrant. See their mission and values statement. So far the Alberta chapter has no stance but I would assume it would be the same.

With regard to being "closely associated with Y2Y," BHA supports Y2Y because they have similar goals in wanting to see large tracts of wilderness to support large populations of all wildlife. And if being "over the top" on grizzly bear conservation means ensuring we will always have bears to see and maybe even hunt, then Y2Y has my vote. See FAQs about who they are.
Old 04-13-2017, 03:31 PM

I wonder what their stance is on motorized vehicles ie: using quads and jet boats to access wilderness areas?
I took a look at their site but didn't see it
Cat
Old 04-13-2017, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnthehat View Post
I wonder what their stance is on motorized vehicles ie: using quads and jet boats to access wilderness areas?
Cat

Sounds like reduced access in general is their goal.

Stephen Legault, program director for Yellowstone to Yukon (Y2Y)

said " it’s good to see a commitment from the government to lower the acceptable thresholds for the concentration of roads open to public motorized access.
“What we’re seeing is a commitment to lowering the acceptable road density to allow for broader conservation opportunities,” he said.
“The main thing that kills grizzly bears in Alberta is access, and anytime we’re reducing access to core grizzly bear habitat, we’re making progress.”"
Old 04-13-2017, 04:35 PM
Banned

I think they are pretty clear that they represent the perspective of non-motorized hunters. A pretty refreshing additional voice, when sometimes it seems like this board is a wholly owned subsidiary of snowandmud.com

http://www.backcountryhunters.org/maintaining_solitude

"We believe that hunting and fishing are inherently silent pursuits. In the field, loud noises should be made sparingly and intentionally – the shriek of an elk bugle, the report of a rifle shot, the war whoop of a large fish brought to hand. The incessant whine of internal combustion is not among those.

We live by the ethic of hunting and fishing on foot – or on horseback, raft, canoe or bike. Of course you have to get to the trailhead or the bridge, but that is where the motor should go silent. Large tracts of our public lands are designated for non-motorized use and for good reason: ATVs are scientifically proven to affect animal movements. They also diminish the experience for everyone else in the woods.

We support responsible ATV use and, as an organization, try to thank those who practice it. Some of our members have started hanging notes and BHA bottle-openers on ATVs legally parked at trailheads to express that appreciation. But in the vast, un-enforced expanses of our national forests and fields, there are often those who abuse their privileges. ATVs can act as shockingly destructive forces in such hands. That is why we offer a hefty monetary reward to anyone who reports ATV abuse that leads to a conviction. Time in the woods is too sacred to be polluted by noise."
Old 04-13-2017, 04:42 PM

[QUOTE=sjd;3516656]I think they are pretty clear that they represent the perspective of non-motorized hunters. A pretty refreshing additional voice, when sometimes it seems like this board is a wholly owned subsidiary of snowandmud.com [QUOTE]
I think you would be surprised at just how many people on this board do not run ATV's or snowmobiles regularly .
What you do see is a small part of our membership posting on a regular basis.
I don't own either but I do own canoes, 12'tinners, electric and gas outboards, and a jet.
That is why i asked the question.
Personally,the only times I have hunted in the mountains was on foot off of regularly travel roads.
Cat
Old 04-13-2017, 05:01 PM
Banned

[QUOTE=catnthehat;3516660][QUOTE=sjd;3516656]I think they are pretty clear that they represent the perspective of non-motorized hunters. A pretty refreshing additional voice, when sometimes it seems like this board is a wholly owned subsidiary of snowandmud.com
Quote:
I think you would be surprised at just how many people on this board do not run ATV's or snowmobiles regularly .
What you do see is a small part of our membership posting on a regular basis.
I don't own either but I do own canoes, 12'tinners, electric and gas outboards, and a jet.
That is why i asked the question.
Personally,the only times I have hunted in the mountains was on foot off of regularly travel roads.
Cat
Yup I agree. It's a loud minority that seem to take the view here that you are a bad outdoorsmen if you support areas that should be off limits to motorized vehicles. I don't buy it or any of this 'united we fall they are coming for you next' garbage. Was very sad to see AFGA come out against the pro conservation pro hunting Castle announcement. There is a need for a more conservation oriented hunting voice in the province less compromised by its blind spot on the need for more non motorized areas and ATV regulation.
Old 04-13-2017, 05:02 PM

They (BHA) had a write up in our local (Pincher Creek) paper commending the government and the castle parks plan. They state they're happy to see ohv's banished from the area. Fine to have that opinion, however, they are dreaming if they think there will actually be a hunt for very long in the provincial park portion. The government tossed a bone. BHA grabbed it and seem to think usiness as usual just no quads. Once it rolls into the Alberta parks jurisdiction hunting will be severely restricted if not eliminated.
Old 04-13-2017, 05:49 PM

There was a meet up a few weeks back. Buddy from the states came up and talked about a chapter up here. I went and had a beer. Seems cool. Not certain its completely my thing. But I support what they do.
Old 04-13-2017, 07:34 PM

Question Say What?!

So we have to import the workings of a group from a foreign country, to address our 'Canadian' backcountry concerns?!

FAIL!
Old 04-20-2017, 08:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Death View Post
They (BHA) had a write up in our local (Pincher Creek) paper commending the government and the castle parks plan. They state they're happy to see ohv's banished from the area. Fine to have that opinion, however, they are dreaming if they think there will actually be a hunt for very long in the provincial park portion. The government tossed a bone. BHA grabbed it and seem to think usiness as usual just no quads. Once it rolls into the Alberta parks jurisdiction hunting will be severely restricted if not eliminated.
Another Reason I won't support these Bull***** organizations. They all have a hidden agenda!!!!
Old 04-20-2017, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gray Wolf View Post
So we have to import the workings of a group from a foreign country, to address our 'Canadian' backcountry concerns?!

FAIL!
We might learn a few things. Some of those states have public land access figured out. WIN!

-Billy Molls
Old 04-20-2017, 09:55 PM

Quote:

FAIL!
Isn't that how Ducks Unlimited got started in Canada too?
Old 04-20-2017, 10:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt1984 View Post

Stephen Legault, program director for Yellowstone to Yukon (Y2Y)

“The main thing that kills grizzly bears in Alberta is access, and anytime we’re reducing access to core grizzly bear habitat, we’re making progress.”"
That's funny. Last year he complained on facebook after F&W chased a grizzly away and told him it's not allowed to stop on highways to photograph roadside bears in Kananaskis.
One would think an opponent of roads through core grizzly habitat wouldn't use those roads to photograph and habituate grizzly.
Old 04-21-2017, 06:06 AM
Banned

I dont understand why this group is necessary.

My guess is that the majority of crown land is inaccessible by OHV, i.e. Percentage of acres. Maybe the problem is that all these environmentalist hunters are too lazy to get off the beaten path, but would rather walk down an easy, well worn OHV trail as opposed to hiking a couple miles off.
Old 04-21-2017, 06:14 AM

Talking

Quote:
Cat

Old 04-21-2017, 07:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by takeiteasybird View Post

Right .
Okay, that sure answers my question
Cat
Old 04-21-2017, 07:13 AM

Quote:
Cat
Responsible Off-Highway Vehicle (OHV) Use and Management
Hunters and anglers know that the hike in is usually worth the pack out. Consequently, it’s imperative that motorized vehicle use is balanced with maintaining habitat and non-motorized recreational opportunities. Sportsmen are acutely aware of how illegal off-highway vehicle abuse scars the land, pollutes water, spreads invasive weeds, displaces wildlife and violates the solitude of the backcountry. BHA supports reasonable regulations – and swift enforcement – that encourage responsible OHV use while addressing the needs of fish and wildlife, the security of their habitat and quality hunting and fishing experiences for the general public.

http://www.backcountryhunters.org/public_lands

Thomas Sowell