Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 01-14-2013, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBark View Post
Guys who fly in and out...
Curious, How long do you plan on working such a schedule ?
Into your 30's, or 40's ?

TBark

Been doing the 7/7 FIFO now for 18 months and love the schedule. Plan on moving to BC soon so I can have the best of both worlds!

I'd never work a normal job again!
Old 01-14-2013, 11:29 AM

A 4th can make over 35 for sure. Our 4th's are making 37.75 and just got a 4% raise. I have my part A only and am now making just under 47.00.
Old 01-14-2013, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBark View Post
Guys who fly in and out...
Curious, How long do you plan on working such a schedule ?
Into your 30's, or 40's ?

TBark
I worked a 2 week in 2 week out for 11 years.

I did it until my daughter was 3.....you do miss a lot. Just a choice you have to make. I found that I was a disruption to the routine when I got back more than anything.

Guys of all ages up there from all over Canada. Seems to be the wave of the future. A guy can make good coin working where the work is and head home. Lots of guys from Ontario and Nova Scotia....they actually beat the BC guys home because of the red eye across....but missed the ballet with the boyz

It's a great gig for single guys as the OT is available for most jobs and you can pound a lot of $$ if you don't mind punching the time. If you stay an extra week (3 in 1 out) you basically take home an extra cheque for the month.....just no time to spend it. A dude with a plan could do well in 5 yrs.

Pretty good gig for "older" guys as well.

In the end I bailed at 38 when I got the gig I'm at which is 4 days on 4 off in town
Old 01-14-2013, 07:16 PM

Where im at a 4th can make 45$ hr + all your benifts and vacation, pension.. top 50 empolyer in canada.. just outside redwater.. so your home every day.. you do have to work shift work.. I only have 1 paper of my 3rd and took home 148k this year.. and still had 6 weeks of vacation.. its nice to live close to home if you want any kind of social life or want a family life.. Shift work is already hard on your life why make it harder by working out of town if you dont have to.. I would only work out of town if I were single.. I have lots of freinds that work in camp jobs.. ya there making 200k but there social life sucks.. its all about balance.. were hiring if your intersted send me a PM..
Old 01-14-2013, 08:25 PM

True biggie, life balance.
I am just accross the river from you.
Never had to fly in/ out but I have worked shift for 27 yrs now.
Mostly the 5/4/5 shift.
This type of work is just what I do, it's not who I am, so my wife tells me.
9 years left to go.

TBark
Old 01-14-2013, 08:58 PM

I work 7/7 in a camp job and I love it. I used to work a 5 and 4 and will never go back. I get lots of time off. The family doesn't mind it either. Last year we spent more time camping than I could have wished for doing the 5 and 4. I skype the wife and kids for hours when in my room each night so it isn't much different than me being at home.
Old 01-14-2013, 09:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paintedblac View Post
I get $38 an hour plus a a shift diff on nights of $1.82 thats just west of Caroline AB only need a 5th as our boilers are just heat medium max temp 121C
What does it take to get your 5th??

I have 35 years in pulp/paper, senior field and process operations, have been thinking about moving closer to our grand kids soon. From what I've seen a fellow needs a steam ticket (fiber line doesn't require them) ????
Old 01-15-2013, 06:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparky660 View Post
I work 7/7 in a camp job and I love it. I used to work a 5 and 4 and will never go back. I get lots of time off. The family doesn't mind it either. Last year we spent more time camping than I could have wished for doing the 5 and 4. I skype the wife and kids for hours when in my room each night so it isn't much different than me being at home.

I have never had such quality time off before. When I was working at home I was always being called in for meetings or extra shifts. Now I work my 7 on and go home and make 40 % more then working a normal job. Life is pretty dam fine right now!
Old 01-15-2013, 07:34 AM

Shift isn't all bad! If I plan out my vacation days strategically I can get up to 12 weeks off per year! Paid!
Old 01-15-2013, 10:29 AM

We fly to Fort Mc from Calgary. First week is nights 24/hr off then 6 day shifts. Then we fly home for a week. 37.50/hr and a 250.00 day rate on top of that. Camp and all flights are paid for by employer. Great gig but dont like being away from the family. I started this with only my 5th class. Now have my 4th but was not a requirement.
Old 01-15-2013, 11:15 AM

It's a terrible hard back breaking labor, but after 7-8 years you can be make around $52/hr around GP. Home every night if that's your thing.
Old 01-15-2013, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggie29 View Post
Where im at a 4th can make 45$ hr + all your benifts and vacation, pension.. top 50 empolyer in canada.. just outside redwater.. so your home every day.. you do have to work shift work.. I only have 1 paper of my 3rd and took home 148k this year.. and still had 6 weeks of vacation.. its nice to live close to home if you want any kind of social life or want a family life.. Shift work is already hard on your life why make it harder by working out of town if you dont have to.. I would only work out of town if I were single.. I have lots of freinds that work in camp jobs.. ya there making 200k but there social life sucks.. its all about balance.. were hiring if your intersted send me a PM..
Holy crap! 148K take home! At a 40% income tax rate Gross had to be over 300K Wow! Looking for anyone?
Old 01-15-2013, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikeslayer22 View Post
Holy crap! 148K take home! At a 40% income tax rate Gross had to be over 300K Wow! Looking for anyone?
Well no it wouldn't be $300k gross because his marginal tax rate is lower then 40% Yes you would certainly reach the top tax bracket in AB of 39% but the average is less.
Old 01-28-2013, 11:31 PM

Default Looking to get steam time for my 4th !!

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggie29 View Post
Hey guys I am enrolled in 4th class Power engineering through NAIT distance education since I was unable to commit to school full time due to family obligations. I am wondering if anyone knew where I could get my steam time ? I am willing to relocate. Any help would be much appreciated !!
Old 01-29-2013, 09:11 AM

A lot of the plants are starting to take applications for summer workers. If you can get in as a student "operator" for the summer (4 months) you will get your steam time.
Old 01-29-2013, 09:55 AM

Ajax may be on the short end of the summer student opportunity list.
I was told bigger plants get their students from NAITs full time day class list.
Night classes or correspondance have to find their own steam time.
Unless I misunderstand what the distance learning program is.

TBark
Old 03-16-2013, 10:56 AM

Default Newbie looking at getting 4th and 3rd maybe.

Hi All. Sorry for brining this thread back to life but this seems to be a very positive thread unlike some of the others that got jumped on by trolls.

Im 44 years old and have 5 years at canada post as a letter carrier. Im looking at getting into Power engineering as I think Canada Post Corporation is TRYING to kill itself. I dont think it will be around by the time I retire.

SO I like a lot of others am looking at power engineer as a career. I am quite Mechanical, Love taking things apart and rebuilding and am very computer knowledgeable (old MCSE).

I have the opportunity to take any one year or correspondence course free. I may be able to take a 2 year as well where I pay for the second year.

I am looking for advice on where I should do this and how. It really looks like Keyano has the best 2 year going with all the co-op (paid?) going on. Unfortunately it looks quite expensive around 12k a year not including lodging. Lakeland offers their heavy oil power engineer course for $8863 including residence.

I am also considering the nait computer learning at 1125 and also add there 12 week steam time course but I cannot find it on the web and they are closed at the moment.

I live in Red Deer and have looked at the colleges 2 night a week course but I would rather get it done sooner than 2 nights a week for a year and as well they do not offer steam time.

I am really open to suggestions on any school in Alberta.... I would just like to get this process going and want to start building a new career.

Im really not sure what is the best route and would appreciate any advice.

Thank you for your time.
Old 03-16-2013, 11:13 AM

I would really suggest the two year course if you can do it. Correspondence is the worst way to go. The power labs offered would be good IF you could get in them. I did the correspondence course through SAIT. The only reason I was lucky enough to find a place to get my steam time is because my father was the chief at the plant I am getting my steam time at. All the big companies are looking to hire the two year tech guys first. Just my 2 cents. If you had a company willing to hire you on and give you the steam time then sure, do a correspondence. I did my course up in about 9 weeks so I will have my 4ths in about ten months total from the time I started my course.
Old 03-16-2013, 05:13 PM

Had an offer last fall before I went to skool for my HD apprenticeship, position was 4th class correspondence while working, company truck, 7/7/12 shift, as much OT as you like at double time during your 7 off.... Keep in mind I have about 4yrs working with LVC's and another 4yrs fabrication and 3.5yrs in the HD mechanics field (officially)... Starting wage offerd was $35.00hr plus shift premiums for both day and night bringing the total to about $37.50hr.
Old 03-17-2013, 04:20 AM

Default Holy S***

I have both fourth and fifth, firemans as well as water treatment, had H2S at one time, but retired a while ago, over 26 years as a fourth class.
never made anywhere close to that, anybody need a fourth/fifth for vacation relief?
Old 03-17-2013, 10:06 AM

Default 1 year

Does anyone know of a 1 year 4th program at an institution. Seems I cant do the 2 year under this program even if I pay for the 2nd year. 4th year in 1 year with co-op and steam time would be perfect. thanks
Old 03-18-2013, 12:35 PM

I would contact SAIT or NAIT and tell them you are only eligible for a one year program. They will accommodate you I am sure.
Old 03-18-2013, 06:41 PM

Default Nait

Nait actually has a 1 year course. Hard to tell from their catalog.
Old 03-19-2013, 11:07 PM

Med Hat College has a 2 yr program that you can exit early after the 4th is completed, plus a great looking new lab.

Prob not of interest to you, but in Sask there are single year 4th class programs all over. Great Plains College in Swift Current, Parkland College in Yorkton, one in Weyburn, half a dozen smaller towns as well. Instructors Ok but all require a two week crash steam lab in Saskatoon at SIAST, which is too rushed and a PITA.
Old 04-07-2013, 12:06 AM

the distance learning course is a hard way to get into power engineering. I took my course last summer and have spoke to one company so far with no luck and have been looking daily and handed out hundreds of resumes. any one have any other suggestions other than summer student, thats not long enough to finish the second paper. For the wage every one seems to be about the same 32-57 an hour + perks. depends on location. I have considered blding operator but im making the 30 range as well and it does not seem to pay no where near that
Old 04-30-2013, 11:45 AM

For everyone that missed this thread:

I am thinking a change may be needed and I am thinking of taking 5th and 4th class P/T through correspondence. Going to school FT is out of the question right now.

I see Northern Lakes College allows you 9 months to complete each course. What kind of time commitment am I looking at? Is there a better option for PT than Northern Lakes?

Thanks.
Old 04-30-2013, 12:04 PM

Default well....

Im in same boat as you.... But from I have read taking it though distance learning is a waste of time. No one will hire you.

BTW Nait gives you a year I think!

Last edited by Camdelle; 04-30-2013 at 12:17 PM.
Old 04-30-2013, 12:14 PM

Its my only option really.
Old 04-30-2013, 12:18 PM

Default well

Then you better figure out a way of getting steam time ect. No point in spending the money if you cannot get a job!
Old 04-30-2013, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camdelle View Post
Then you better figure out a way of getting steam time ect. No point in spending the money if you cannot get a job!
I may have to.

I am in no hurry. I have a good job, I have no complaints. But, 20 years or so left until I stop working, I am unsure if I have it in me here. I am thinking to the future and want to be ready with an option when I have enough.