Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 07-02-2013, 09:24 PM

Default looking around..

so i came across this thread through google, from reading on here perhaps someone can shed some light for me. i just completed my service in the navy as a marine engineer, and that steam time transfers over to 4th class power engineering, so i challenged part a and b exams and got my ticket in bc. now i live back in calgary and looking for work as i wait for my ticket to switch over to absa... will oil companies understand my work experience? ive been applying online but i havent had much luck. im not sure how to go about switching my marine experience into oil and gas. any words of advice would be appreciated.
Old 07-05-2013, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UberAndy View Post
so i came across this thread through google, from reading on here perhaps someone can shed some light for me. i just completed my service in the navy as a marine engineer, and that steam time transfers over to 4th class power engineering, so i challenged part a and b exams and got my ticket in bc. now i live back in calgary and looking for work as i wait for my ticket to switch over to absa... will oil companies understand my work experience? ive been applying online but i havent had much luck. im not sure how to go about switching my marine experience into oil and gas. any words of advice would be appreciated.
I don't know if you've come across this board in your searches, but here it is nevertheless. The posters there may help you out.

http://forums.780tuners.com/showthre...er-Engineering
Old 07-12-2013, 10:42 PM

Default 4th class PE or cn rail conductor

Hi, im hoping to get some feed back from a few 4th class PE, I am 1/4 of the way through my NAIT correspondence 4th class PE, I have no guaranteed steam time from any employer as of yet, and no real contacts to get in, my plan was to get my part A and start applying at Suncor, Cenovus, Syncrude, Shell, ect, and hope to get on with them for steam time and then be offered a long term position after graduating.
I had no choice to take the correspondence course as I am mature student with a family that lives no where close to NAIT, SAIT or BCIT, so after graduating was hoping for a camp job in Fort Mac,
Well I was contacted by CN rail and offered a conductor position recently, another great company with great pension benefits and medical,
In your opinions as 4th class engineers would you try to stick out the correspondence course and hope to get hired on by a company and offered steam time to complete the course or go straight ahead into CN and dont look back.
Thanks
Old 07-12-2013, 10:47 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedybeedy View Post
Hi, im hoping to get some feed back from a few 4th class PE, I am 1/4 of the way through my NAIT correspondence 4th class PE, I have no guaranteed steam time from any employer as of yet, and no real contacts to get in, my plan was to get my part A and start applying at Suncor, Cenovus, Syncrude, Shell, ect, and hope to get on with them for steam time and then be offered a long term position after graduating.
I had no choice to take the correspondence course as I am mature student with a family that lives no where close to NAIT, SAIT or BCIT, so after graduating was hoping for a camp job in Fort Mac,
Well I was contacted by CN rail and offered a conductor position recently, another great company with great pension benefits and medical,
In your opinions as 4th class engineers would you try to stick out the correspondence course and hope to get hired on by a company and offered steam time to complete the course or go straight ahead into CN and dont look back.
Thanks
I'd go with CN if I were you. With experience conductors can make up to 6 figures from what I've heard. What more do you want?
Old 07-13-2013, 12:04 AM

Yes, take the CN offer, and aim to move into an engineer position driving the things. There are very few jobs for 4th out there and if the trains don,t work out you can always go back to PE later
Old 12-06-2013, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zekeland View Post
Don't stop at your 4th....ever.

If you can do your 4th, you can complete the 3rd ...with enough hours of course.

You open up so many more choices with a 3rd or even 2nd if that is in your sights.....
Good point. Aim for your First!
Old 12-07-2013, 11:52 PM

I'm currently a Motorhand working for a drilling company and I'm considering upgrading and possibly enrolling in 4th Class Power Engineering through online training.

I hear a common concern with correspondence students is the difficulty in obtaining steam time.

As a Motorhand, I am routinely responsible for the maintenance and operations of the drilling rig boiler. I also maintain and operate the motors and generators on the rig.

Could this work experience be put toward steam time to count towards getting my fourth class ticket?

My company is also sending me to a 5 day boiler course in Nisku this winter - can any of this training be put towards my ticket and/or steam time.

Also, what are people's opinion on the power engineer 4th class online course. Can a person working full time reasonably expect to complete the curriculum in the year given to part time students? Or if I consider myself fairly smart, could I tackle the curriculum full time while still working full time?

Looking forward to hearing a response from anyone,

Paul
Old 12-08-2013, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NovaScotian View Post
I'm currently a Motorhand working for a drilling company and I'm considering upgrading and possibly enrolling in 4th Class Power Engineering through online training.

I hear a common concern with correspondence students is the difficulty in obtaining steam time.

As a Motorhand, I am routinely responsible for the maintenance and operations of the drilling rig boiler. I also maintain and operate the motors and generators on the rig.

Could this work experience be put toward steam time to count towards getting my fourth class ticket?

My company is also sending me to a 5 day boiler course in Nisku this winter - can any of this training be put towards my ticket and/or steam time.

Also, what are people's opinion on the power engineer 4th class online course. Can a person working full time reasonably expect to complete the curriculum in the year given to part time students? Or if I consider myself fairly smart, could I tackle the curriculum full time while still working full time?

Looking forward to hearing a response from anyone,

Paul
Paul:. It will depend on the size and hp of the boiler. I would except it would apply for your 4th class steam time. Call the boilers branch to find out. As far as the course goes the answer is yes!!!!!
Old 01-29-2014, 03:48 PM

I just found this thread and thought I would see if anyone has suggestions to offer for a job-seeker who has just finished NAIT 4th Class Part A (correspondence).

Like many, the steam time is the thing that is lacking, and what had looked like potential opportunities haven't come to pass. Looking to break into the job market, ideally somewhere near Cold Lake, but also very much open to fly-in jobs.

Additional experience:
- recently retired military (5 years in logistics/transport)
- previous small business management (13 years as owner/operator)

Aside from the obvious of sending out resumes and knocking on doors (done and doing), networking with local friends (ongoing), and daily internet searches... any suggestions? Obscure job boards to be looking at? Tips on specific companies that are currently looking? Maybe a particular job title comes to mind that should be considered?

Many thanks!
Old 02-07-2014, 11:57 AM

4th year at highvale make 37
Old 03-24-2014, 11:49 PM

Default 4th class part A through NAIT

Well, heres to hoping I can clarify things for a few people out there in my position,
I have completed part A ABSA 4 weeks ago, flew into redder from BC to write the test, wrote the ABSA not BCSA because that is where I plan on working, Applied to Calgary but the exam there was full, so they placed me in my second choice of Reddeer, First time there and not a bad little city. I am taking the 1 year correspondence course through NAIT, now almost completed part B and will drive into Calgary to write the part B exam soon.
Anyway, the test I found really easy, given 3 plus hours and finished in under 2, was actually worried I missed some pages it went by so fast.
Pretty basic, I studied the math like a mad man and was prepared for torture, I ended up over studying allot of things that I thought were practical and not paying much attention to smaller things, which is where they get a few questions on you.
I have been looking for a junior field-plant operating job for over 4 months now and applying in numerous different places, checking websites everyday for new postings, applying, but I have not received any call backs what so ever so far, I will continue to complete part B and hopefully make myself a little more viable to a employer as to find a trainee junior position. I would have no problem filling a student position as well, especially if qualified for steam time, but seems to me the companies offering student positions must recruit right out of the colleges first. I guess that is normal.
The correspondence course through NAIT is 1100 dollars and you get 1 year to complete it.
If you struggle with math it could be a little tough as you can't just put your hand up and have the teacher explain things to you, you have to figure it all out on your own.
So if you asked me about doing it the correspondence way, I defiantly think it is tougher, #1 reason is trying to find steam time, if you take the course via NAIT or SAIT or any other colleges, the companies looking to fill student positions need only go there to find what there looking for so i am assuming its much easier.
I also think it really helps to know someone that is able to help you out, one poster had a father who was a chief, that really helps to take the guess work out of a career move and get you going in the right direction.
As for me, I do know people in the industry, but not nearly influential enough to offer a opportunity within there company, so for now I'm taking the hard way in and applying and checking for any position daily.
With that said, anyone on here know of any up coming junior operator positions/ student positions or any position to get started within a plant or field and want to share, I would be great full.
Thanks
Old 03-25-2014, 12:44 PM

Not a bad website.

Keep applying.

http://ca.indeed.com/jobs?q=4th+Clas...l=Alberta&rs=1
Old 04-17-2014, 03:51 PM

Apache Canada are looking for a 5th or 4th class PE near Rocky Mountain House if you apply PM me 12 hour shifts on a gas plant
Old 09-17-2014, 03:25 AM

Default power engineer

just wondering how things work. I'm a boilermaker/welder for almost 10 years now. thinking about going for power engineering levels. am i able to challenge level 4 or even level 3? just curious, i have no idea where to start or who to contact. is there online courses etc. real advice needed please.
Old 09-17-2014, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanitee View Post
just wondering how things work. I'm a boilermaker/welder for almost 10 years now. thinking about going for power engineering levels. am i able to challenge level 4 or even level 3? just curious, i have no idea where to start or who to contact. is there online courses etc. real advice needed please.
I believe certain schooling does credit you to challenge to level 3/4 of power engineering.

I was told my Mechanical Eng Tech qualifies me to challenge level 3. It's been on my mind as back-up if needed.
Old 09-17-2014, 09:19 AM

Boys the best way to get an answer is to call the boilers branch!! They have the final say on what you need to do and what schooling applies. It pretty much depends on steam time and if you can get it, go for it.

Thx Chewy!
Old 09-17-2014, 09:25 AM

www.sopeec.org has lots of good information as well. For specific questions about what time credits certain other certifications will give you credit for contact ABSA (www.absa.ca).
Old 09-17-2014, 10:51 AM

Default Absa

If you check the ABSA website it has all the requirements for each class of ticket. Some 2yr Engineering Technology programs allow you to challenge the fourth class. A two year power engineering technology program will let you challenge the 3rd class. A four year university mechanical engineering degree will let you challenge the 3rd. Granting these challenges is also up to ABSA. All info is on the ABSA website under power engineers regulations.

Here is the link to the info.

http://www.qp.alberta.ca/1266.cfm?pa...cln=0779736435
Old 09-17-2014, 12:07 PM

I am a valve tech and make 30 an hour.. dont see why a power engineer couldnt make more?
Old 04-25-2017, 08:16 PM

Default I need Power Engineering Job/Process Operation or Industrial Electrician Job in Oil Field

Hi Folks,

I am newbie here guys but really really needs your help, connections and referral please. I am very reliable, dependable and hand-work with safety oriented.

I am Looking for 4th Class Power Engineering or Journeyman Electrician job in Oil Field-Fort McMurray or anywhere in AB that pays good.

I took a Maintenance Technician Job at $22.19 after graduation from SAIT POLYTECHNIC in April 2016.
I just got a new job in Cagary-hybrid position as 4th Class PE F/T and Electrician P/T. 4th Class pays $33.03/hr and Electrician at $37/hr. I long to be in Oil Field.

My profile:

-POWER AND PROCESS OPERATIONS(CERTIFICATE)-SAIT POLYTECHNIC, CALGARY

-POWER ENGINEERING TECHNOLOGY(DIPLOMA)-SAIT POLYTECHNIC.

-HAD MY 4TH CLASS POWER ENGINEERING TICKET FROM SAIT POLYTECHNIC.

-HAVE COMPLETED ALL MY 3RD CLASS PAPERS. JUST NEEDS 3 MONTHS STEAM TIME TO GET MY TICKET FROM ABSA.

-HAD DIPLOMA IN ELECTRICAL ENGINEERING TECHNOLOGY ABROAD

-GOT MY RED SEAL INDUSTRIAL ELECTRICIAN TICKET FROM BC - CHALLENGE EXAM BASED ON MY FOREIGN YEARS OF EXPERIENCE IN ELECTRICAL FIELD.

Please guys I need JOB CONNECTION BADLY
You can email me. Any help is appreciated.
johnnyodoo@gmail.com
Old 04-25-2017, 08:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeeJay View Post
Hi Folks,

I am newbie here guys but really really needs your help, connections and referral please. I am very reliable, dependable and hand-work with safety oriented.

I am Looking for 4th Class Power Engineering or Journeyman Electrician job in Oil Field-Fort McMurray or anywhere in AB that pays good.

I took a Maintenance Technician Job at $22.19 after graduation from SAIT POLYTECHNIC in April 2016.
I just got a new job in Cagary-hybrid position as 4th Class PE F/T and Electrician P/T. 4th Class pays $33.03/hr and Electrician at $37/hr. I long to be in Oil Field.

My profile:

-POWER AND PROCESS OPERATIONS(CERTIFICATE)-SAIT POLYTECHNIC, CALGARY

-POWER ENGINEERING TECHNOLOGY(DIPLOMA)-SAIT POLYTECHNIC.

-HAD MY 4TH CLASS POWER ENGINEERING TICKET FROM SAIT POLYTECHNIC.

-HAVE COMPLETED ALL MY 3RD CLASS PAPERS. JUST NEEDS 3 MONTHS STEAM TIME TO GET MY TICKET FROM ABSA.

-HAD DIPLOMA IN ELECTRICAL ENGINEERING TECHNOLOGY ABROAD

-GOT MY RED SEAL INDUSTRIAL ELECTRICIAN TICKET FROM BC - CHALLENGE EXAM BASED ON MY FOREIGN YEARS OF EXPERIENCE IN ELECTRICAL FIELD.

Please guys I need JOB CONNECTION BADLY
You can email me. Any help is appreciated.
johnnyodoo@gmail.com
Ya might have to do what your nickname is to get that info
Old 04-25-2017, 08:32 PM

Have you already applied at NWR and fort hills.
Old 04-25-2017, 08:55 PM

Pretty old thread, but all I can tell ya is I had a 4th Class for about 20 years and the most I ever got in Building Operation/ Maintenance was 55G/year before a physical problem ended my career.

I won't ever try and discourage you from wanting to better yourself, but Buildings might be all you can get at this time. (at least its steady - there'll always be buildings that need competent men). I worked for a good company that VALUED its employees, so I did OK career-wise.

One of my co-workers had most of the qualifications you mentioned, but couldn't do any better than me with his 3rd Class.

Again - I don't want to discourage you, but for now take what you can get and at least get experience and steam-time.

A good Chief Engineer in a company that VALUES its employees will certainly "sign the papers".

JMO
Old 04-25-2017, 09:27 PM

Many thanks Stuckincity.

Yea is a pretty old thread but just trying to reach out and network

I appreciate your candid and honest advice. i will oblige in absence of nothing better off at the moment but just trying to get a better shot. you never know!

once again, thanks buddy.

BeeJay
Old 04-25-2017, 09:49 PM

33/hr for a 4th is pretty good. You have the papers for 3rd done, so all you can do is keep applying and hope for a break. Good luck!
Old 04-25-2017, 11:18 PM

You're right HeavyD111. I will hang on and give my best. I could be fine with my current employer down the road. I will keep applying though in the hope for better offers.

Thanks a bunch buddy!

BJ
Old 04-25-2017, 11:37 PM

@ I Forget, i have but no luck yet.

Thanks
Old 04-26-2017, 06:51 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Answer the question...yup just gotta be real lucky is all.

Oh yeah forgot to add you need to want to upgrade third class and seconds, also which is a biggie be able to move to a crap hole and work there until opportunities pan out, this takes time and sacrifice.
I know a few people now that went down this route, one was eager to get out and take on a job out in the middle of now where etc the others had plans to stay put and put restrictions on thier job search, fast forward two years later some are still looking, working crappy jobs while the other that left for the experience etc has landed a great job which put them back in so called civilization and is really enjoying the sacrifice made. I think that is the key in any job market you gotta be willing to be the rookie but too many are bent on starting at the top or close to it but they forget one thing, you are a newbie so after your 12 HR shift take the garbage out and sweep the floor then go home!

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...

Last edited by 58thecat; 04-26-2017 at 07:00 AM.
Old 05-31-2017, 07:01 AM
Banned

That ridiculous head spinning math for $35/hr and for what? To turn the heat up and down? Wow. Just wow. I can't believe I even considered taking that course. All the progress I've made over the years in regards to calming down have been de-railed by 30 minutes of flipping through the first textbook.

Got textbooks and workbooks for sale BTW
Old 05-31-2017, 08:53 AM

Part of it is the wages, but PE usually provides a really good balance of days on/off. 1/1, 2/2 if camp or 4d/4off if in town is pretty common, friends in mining and patch work much longer stretches. It is all about what is important to the person I guess.

Patriot what did you choose other than PE? Always interesting to see what direction others have went.