Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 04-25-2017, 10:43 AM

Its a screwed up whitetail like this guy Nikanit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 04-25-2017, 02:10 PM
Gone Hunting

the downturned ones are domestic goat.

The whitetail antlers that you have are very interesting. Cool find.

George Bernard Shaw
Old 04-26-2017, 09:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KegRiver View Post
the downturned ones are domestic goat.

The whitetail antlers that you have are very interesting. Cool find.
Sorry...downturned ones are from a deer, hubbie knows as he has hunted and shed hunted darn near all his life Goats don't have bezels, but thanks for the compliment. It is a weird skull huh?
Old 04-26-2017, 09:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdub View Post

Its a screwed up whitetail like this guy Nikanit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yes! Except this guy had it both sides
Old 04-26-2017, 10:18 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikanit View Post
Sorry...downturned ones are from a deer, hubbie knows as he has hunted and shed hunted darn near all his life Goats don't have bezels, but thanks for the compliment. It is a weird skull huh?
It's called a coronet or bur and you are right, goats and sheep do not have them, but I don't believe those are coronets, they are part of the core, of a horn, antlers do not have a core.

Some goats have cores that appear to have a coronet as seen in these drawings from a animal husbandry book.

I'm sure your husband knows more then I do about Deer, I've only been hunting and collecting sheds for the past fifty plus years, but I do know a bit about goats that maybe he does not.

George Bernard Shaw
Old 04-27-2017, 12:32 AM

Quote:
It's called a coronet or bur and you are right, goats and sheep do not have them, but I don't believe those are coronets, they are part of the core, of a horn, antlers do not have a core.

Some goats have cores that appear to have a coronet as seen in these drawings from a animal husbandry book.

I'm sure your husband knows more then I do about Deer, I've only been hunting and collecting sheds for the past fifty plus years, but I do know a bit about goats that maybe he does not.
Maybe...but I have the skull here in my hand alongside a skull of a normal buck , and they are the same except for the downturn. Refer to that last image of the buck caught on the game camera. Exact same angle except this guy had two. Shown to F and W under advice from another AO member, and yes, they have also seen this before, never even raised an eyebrow but thought it was kinda neat.
Old 04-27-2017, 03:22 AM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Maybe...but I have the skull here in my hand alongside a skull of a normal buck , and they are the same except for the downturn. Refer to that last image of the buck caught on the game camera. Exact same angle except this guy had two. Shown to F and W under advice from another AO member, and yes, they have also seen this before, never even raised an eyebrow but thought it was kinda neat.
Well, I learned a long time ago to never say I know it all, so I accept your explanation. I've never seen it and I have seen goat skulls that could compare very well with the photos. But a skull in hand beats a skull in a photo any day and stranger things do happen.

Twice now I've seen, with my own eyes, Moose with three antlers and many times I've seen things in nature I would not have believed true, or believed they were what they were, had I not seen it with my own eyes.
A black and white Crow for example.

Given those are all Deer skulls it's a very strange find indeed. I would not have thought it possible.

I'll be 63 years young in a couple of months and just when I think nothing in nature can surprise me, I am surprised by yet another wonder in nature.

Thank you for posting those photos and thank you for being patient enough to teach this old dog he is never to old to learn something new.

George Bernard Shaw
Old 04-27-2017, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Well, I learned a long time ago to never say I know it all, so I accept your explanation. I've never seen it and I have seen goat skulls that could compare very well with the photos. But a skull in hand beats a skull in a photo any day and stranger things do happen.

Twice now I've seen, with my own eyes, Moose with three antlers and many times I've seen things in nature I would not have believed true, or believed they were what they were, had I not seen it with my own eyes.
A black and white Crow for example.

Given those are all Deer skulls it's a very strange find indeed. I would not have thought it possible.

I'll be 63 years young in a couple of months and just when I think nothing in nature can surprise me, I am surprised by yet another wonder in nature.

Thank you for posting those photos and thank you for being patient enough to teach this old dog he is never to old to learn something new.
Thats ok...my old dog turns 60 this year. He has shown to me an albino mule deer by Sylvan, we've seen a flock of huns come to the rescue of a comrade being attacked by a raven (beat the sh** outta him) and we still see the albino does offspring around, a real neat washed down coat they have. It neat what one can see or find when you walk in the woods Huh?
Old 04-27-2017, 01:42 PM

Has anyone came across Moose antlers like these ?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Peruked Moose 003.jpg (33.1 KB, 207 views)
Old 04-27-2017, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salavee View Post
I believe that happens when testicals are damaged. It messes up the testoserone so antlers will not grow right
Old 04-27-2017, 08:14 PM

Default abnormal (peruke) antlers

Quote:
Quoting from the book: Ecology and Management of the North American Moose
"abnormal moose antlers resembling coral in structure and texture is referred to as a "peruke head".In all likelihood, this bull had low testosterone output attributable to advanced age or was an accidental castrate. Generally, the normal calcification or hardening process is reduced and such antlers continue to grow. Blood supply to these structures is reduced, however, and eventually through freezing, the 'peruke antlers' fall off. Female hermaphrodites (females having both male and female sex organs but with primary female characteristics) also may develop peruke antlers."

Sorry for long-winded response.
ticdoc
Old 04-28-2017, 01:36 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Thats ok...my old dog turns 60 this year. He has shown to me an albino mule deer by Sylvan, we've seen a flock of huns come to the rescue of a comrade being attacked by a raven (beat the sh** outta him) and we still see the albino does offspring around, a real neat washed down coat they have. It neat what one can see or find when you walk in the woods Huh?
It is neat, and amazing.

I have seen Albino Deer and have the photos to prove it.

Seeing Huns beat up a Raven would be good entertainment. I also have photos of a Snowy Owl taken just after Ravens had pecked out one eye.

Once I watched a Short eared Owl make fools of a pair of Ravens. They were going to maul the Owl but the little guy could outmaneuver them so well he made them look foolish.

I found Truffles along the Peace River a few years ago, they aren't even supposed to exist in Canada. And who would believe we have Cactus growing wild up here. We do and I can prove it.

George Bernard Shaw
Old 04-28-2017, 01:37 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:

Good Lord!!!! Them are some UGLY Moose antlers!!!!

George Bernard Shaw
Old 07-02-2017, 02:23 PM

Default linica PARADELA

Quote:
Haha wow that's cool looking