Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 03-06-2019, 05:05 PM

Exclamation WWF funds Judge Dredd against poachers

Interesting articles:
https://www.bbc.com/news/world-south-asia-38909512

https://www.buzzfeednews.com/article...-torture-death

Murder, torture, sexual assault...just another non-profit charity working for the greater good.
I can't wait until they take a more active role in Canada's parks.

“We seem to be getting closer and closer to a situation where nobody is responsible for what they did but we are all responsible for what somebody else did.”- Thomas Sowell
Old 03-07-2019, 07:49 AM

Get a grip. Poaching is a real problem in some areas of the world. Recently the last back rhino died and a species went extinct. The main cause was poaching for the horn. The poachers in Africa and the sub- continent are endangering whole species and I don't feel that if you are breaking laws where the police are not able to protect the wildlife then the park rangers should be able to.
Old 03-07-2019, 07:55 AM

The way I understand it wildlife in parts of the world are as valuable as gold bars here. A sign saying please keep out will do nothing. People in parts of the world are prepared to kill in order to deposit their pay cheque as well. We are very fortunate that this seems odd to us here in Canada, where at times our biggest daily complaint is the line up at the grocery store or Tim Hortons
Old 03-07-2019, 08:08 AM

The most stupid part of that post is the insinuation that they will bring the same type of approach here.
Old 03-07-2019, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ganderblaster View Post
The way I understand it wildlife in parts of the world are as valuable as gold bars here. A sign saying please keep out will do nothing. People in parts of the world are prepared to kill in order to deposit their pay cheque as well. We are very fortunate that this seems odd to us here in Canada, where at times our biggest daily complaint is the line up at the grocery store or Tim Hortons
I spent some time in Africa (Zambia, Zimbabwe, Botswana), most of it with locals deep in the woods. You get a different perspective of the issues. I talked to some farmers that kill elephants because they trample their crops. No crops, no income. To them they are nothing more than a nuisance animal and talk about them like we would a Coyote here in Alberta. Certainly, an elephant is worth much more than the crop they trample but when that crop is your only means of income I guess you do what you have to do.

Pretty easy for us to sit over here and say how bad these people are but until you walk a mile .....
Old 03-07-2019, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by darren32 View Post
I spent some time in Africa (Zambia, Zimbabwe, Botswana), most of it with locals deep in the woods. You get a different perspective of the issues. I talked to some farmers that kill elephants because they trample their crops. No crops, no income. To them they are nothing more than a nuisance animal and talk about them like we would a Coyote here in Alberta. Certainly, an elephant is worth much more than the crop they trample but when that crop is your only means of income I guess you do what you have to do.

Pretty easy for us to sit over here and say how bad these people are but until you walk a mile .....
People killing elephants that are destroying crops or lions that are marauding villages are quite different than the poachers who are taking animals for their horn or hide.
Old 03-07-2019, 08:40 AM

Quote:

Great post.
Old 03-07-2019, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FCLightning View Post
People killing elephants that are destroying crops or lions that are marauding villages are quite different than the poachers who are taking animals for their horn or hide.
Not necessarily. The people getting shot for poaching in the article are not rich people doing it for sport, they are poor locals doing it for money, to survive. Starving people will do a lot to survive. Not all that different IMHO.

Lions that are killing people on the other hand would be like problem bears getting dispatched here, it has to be done. It's not poaching and no one profits from it.
Old 03-07-2019, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Not necessarily. The people getting shot for poaching in the article are not rich people doing it for sport, they are poor locals doing it for money, to survive. Starving people will do a lot to survive. Not all that different IMHO.

Lions that are killing people on the other hand would be like problem bears getting dispatched here, it has to be done. It's not poaching and no one profits from it.
No one getting shot for poaching is a rich person hunting for sport. Where do you pull such silliness from?

The local villagers who are shooting an elephant that is destroying their crops are not being shot by the wardens as poachers. The local villagers who are heading into the parks in the dead of night to shoot elephants and rhinos to cut the horns for sale to the black market are the ones at risk of being shot.

The most effective way to combat the poaching is to have all the local villagers onside with the protection and preservation of the animals. The most effective technique for doing that is through sport hunting and the return of meat and money to the local villages who then see direct benefit from the maintenance of the wildlife. But outfits such as WWF are all too quick to vilify sport hunting, trying to eliminate it from the landscape and thereby removing any economic benefit the locals may see from the animals. There is no other activity that will generate the economic returns of sport hunting outside of illegal poaching - so that is the replacement.

Last edited by FCLightning; 03-07-2019 at 12:51 PM.
Old 03-07-2019, 12:47 PM
Banned

I get the point of wanting to protect the Animals. But killing a fellow human??

Come on folks, lets get our priorities straight. This is just another piece of the pie where we put Animals before people.

This is straight out of the Anti Hunters/Animal rights books.

No one can support this type of thing.
Old 03-07-2019, 12:51 PM

Quote:
No one getting shot for poaching is a rich person hunting for sport. Where do you pull such silliness from?

The local villagers who are shooting an elephant that is destroying their crops are not being shot by the wardens as poachers. The local villagers who are heading into the parks in the dead of night to shoot elephants and rhinos to cut the horns for sale to the black market are the ones at risk of being shot.
I guess we agree then??

The villagers shooting an elephant that is destroying their crops are poor people poaching to survive (for money).

The local villagers who are heading into the parks in the dead of night to shoot elephants and rhinos to cut the horns for sale to the black market are poor people poaching to survive (for money).

The risk of being shot is irrelevant, they are doing the same thing.
Old 03-07-2019, 12:58 PM

Quote:
I guess we agree then??

The villagers shooting an elephant that is destroying their crops is are poor people poaching to survive (for money).

The local villagers who are heading into the parks in the dead of night to shoot elephants and rhinos to cut the horns for sale to the black market are poor people poaching to survive (for money).

The risk of being shot is irrelevant, they are doing the same thing.
No, we don't agree. Controlling elephants and lions destroying villages is no different than landowners around here shooting bears and coyotes. There is no "poaching" in this scenario. Entering into a wildlife preserve and shooting an animal with no legal right so you can sell parts of the animal on the black market is poaching.
Old 03-07-2019, 01:02 PM

Quote:
No, we don't agree. Controlling elephants and lions destroying villages is no different than landowners around here shooting bears and coyotes. There is no "poaching" in this scenario. Entering into a wildlife preserve and shooting an animal with no legal right so you can sell parts of the animal on the black market is poaching.
The people killing elephants (that I talked to) are most definitely poaching.
They are illegally killing a protected animal.

Based on the solution that you added to post #9 I am done here.

Have a good day.

Tags
non-profit, poacher, wwf