Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 09-19-2017, 09:31 PM

Default Mock scrape, rub, doe urine, buck urine ect, rattling ect.

I am heading out hunting next week and will be in the same general area for a week. At this time of year what is the most effective type of synthetic deer sign and would you bother to set it up if you're only in the area for 5 days.

In the past I have mostly just spot and stalked, sat and waited on a trail with plenty of sign and rattled. I have used doe urine to cover my scent but I'm not really sure if that helped or not but I got a nice buck out of it last year.

In my experience it's a month too soon to start rattling?
Old 09-19-2017, 10:07 PM

In my experience synthetic scents have been more of a deterant than an attractant. Five days is lots. Find some natural sign and then hunt it hard.
Old 09-20-2017, 07:42 AM

To early for using those tactics, wait till November.
Old 09-20-2017, 07:59 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmcbride View Post
To early for using those tactics, wait till November.
Agreed way to early I've always liked November 15-30
Old 09-20-2017, 11:13 AM

X3 Way to early in my experience. Find sign, this time of year rub lines will start showing up. But the big guys will still be in the thick stuff.

If you got a nice buck, do what you did last year.
Old 09-20-2017, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3blade View Post
X3 Way to early in my experience. Find sign, this time of year rub lines will start showing up. But the big guys will still be in the thick stuff.

If you got a nice buck, do what you did last year.
Thanks guys, that's what I figured. I will mostly do what I did last year, this year my wife will join me next week but she will be away for most of the rut. Which means you know what I'll be doing.
Old 09-21-2017, 07:51 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prairiekid View Post
I am heading out hunting next week and will be in the same general area for a week. At this time of year what is the most effective type of synthetic deer sign and would you bother to set it up if you're only in the area for 5 days.

In the past I have mostly just spot and stalked, sat and waited on a trail with plenty of sign and rattled. I have used doe urine to cover my scent but I'm not really sure if that helped or not but I got a nice buck out of it last year.

In my experience it's a month too soon to start rattling?
Your never going to cover your scent, so throw that out the door, Bucks are still in bachelor groups, light sparring sooooo if your in an area with rubs and the sign indicates buck activity I would bring a buck decoy, set it up visible to approaching deer and do some light rattling...maybe in a transition zone from bedding to feeding...think like a deer, mimic what they are doing for sounds, light rubbing on a tree with one of your rattling antlers, nothing too loud and crazy...they are still chilling.

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 09-21-2017, 10:33 AM

I've had some interesting things happen with that Nosejammer stuff. I've been stalking the same bachelor group of Mulie bucks. And I've had the wind shift on me and they where gone. I started using this just yesterday. And I was stalking in on 2 bucks. I couldn't get into a spot for a shot, due to some does feeding around them. As I pulled back there was another buck straight down wind of me. I could tell he knew something was there, he was looking my direction, and was licking his nose. But he didn't spook at all.
And these Mulies have been extremely sketchy. Almost like White tails. Last time they busted my scent, they where gone instantly.
Not saying it really works, or it could have just been a dumb deer. But it was interesting.
Also I sprayed it at the base of a tree stand. Now every evening I go to get in it. I can't. A doe and 3 fawns are bedding right behind the tree.
Take it for what it's worth.
Old 09-21-2017, 11:05 AM

Its not to early to start your own mock scrapes and in fact I have already found several real scrapes opened up in spots the bucks have scrapes year after year. One of my hunting buddies has already shot a nice buck working a scrape near my house ( if you dont belive me drop by accurate archery look at pic by cash register)
Interdigital gland lure in scrape along with a little scrape starter and preorbital gland lure on licking branch over it ( or hang a rope wick with preorbital gland on it above scrape Bucks will definitely check them out