Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 09-19-2017, 11:45 AM

Default ATV advice. Honda vs yamaha

Hey guys, I'm looking for some feedback, opinions, pros cons etc from people with personal experience. Looking at new honda 420 rancher IRS EPS automatic with electric manual shift and also looking at the yamaha Kodiak 450 EPS. They share a lot of similar features and are in the same price range. Biggest difference is in the transmission, yamaha having their belt drive vs honda with more of an automotive style gear transmission with dual clutches. Thanks for any thoughts you would like to share.
Old 09-19-2017, 11:58 AM

Both are the best quality machines. Buy one where you are comfortable with dealership. Support local if you can.
Old 09-19-2017, 12:02 PM

Honda, honda, honda
Old 09-19-2017, 12:04 PM

HONDA.

Both are great machines but I do not want to depend on a belt that could let go and leave me stranded.

I have researched Hondas, Yamahas and Suzukis when I bought mine. Ended up getting a Foreman. Happy, no issues.
Old 09-19-2017, 12:05 PM

You already pointed out the most important difference. The Honda transmission is what puts them way out in front.

Full disclosure I previously owned both brands, and was never let down by either. But if you asked me which I one I would ride 30 k into the bush, no question it's Honda.
Old 09-19-2017, 12:10 PM

Yamaha!!!
Old 09-19-2017, 12:29 PM

Go with the Yamaha for the CVT style transmission. Blows any Honda offering out of the water. Always in the right gear, smooth as butter and belt life is fantastic.
Old 09-19-2017, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohninAB View Post
Go with the Yamaha for the CVT style transmission. Blows any Honda offering out of the water. Always in the right gear, smooth as butter and belt life is fantastic.
Thanks for the reply, I heard they are way better for shift points and it always feels like the right gear. I heard the honda in automatic is sometimes looking for gears on inclines and what not, sometimes have to switch to manual. But the thought of a belt worries me. I haven't looked into them much but are they sealed away from the elements and deep mud? And how big of a job are they to change? Somethjng that could be done on the trail?
Old 09-19-2017, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grmpy View Post
Thanks for the reply, I heard they are way better for shift points and it always feels like the right gear. I heard the honda in automatic is sometimes looking for gears on inclines and what not, sometimes have to switch to manual. But the thought of a belt worries me. I haven't looked into them much but are they sealed away from the elements and deep mud? And how big of a job are they to change? Somethjng that could be done on the trail?
Can be done on the trail with the right tools, but its a ******ing huge pain-especially if its cold. The sealed Honda has never given me issues in 30 years.
Old 09-19-2017, 12:53 PM

Quote:
I ride a Polaris Sportsman 700 and I ride hard. Have over 6400 kms on the belt with nary an issue. Belt is sealed from the elements. Changing it out I could do on the trail if need be. When I bought the machine I purchased a spare belt to carry just in case. Afraid the belt may rot away in the front box on the quad before I ever need it.

Seriously though, I will probably take my clutches off this winter and have them serviced and put the new belt on just for routine maintenance.

If you plan on using the quad to plow snow, the CVT really shines there as well. Honda has the stupid push button, pull lever contraption set up. CVT is an easy lever to switch between low and reverse.

Understand your hesitation with the CVT style transmission as I was in the same boat too coming from the old style but now that I have had one, I will never buy a quad without it again.

Last edited by JohninAB; 09-19-2017 at 12:59 PM.
Old 09-19-2017, 01:10 PM

No need to worry about Yammys belt. They are not belt burners. Both are good machines and it will probably boil down to price and ergonomics.
Old 09-19-2017, 01:13 PM

Id get the honda but foot shifter, bullet proof.
Old 09-19-2017, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohninAB View Post
I ride a Polaris Sportsman 700 and I ride hard. Have over 6400 kms on the belt with nary an issue. Belt is sealed from the elements. Changing it out I could do on the trail if need be. When I bought the machine I purchased a spare belt to carry just in case. Afraid the belt may rot away in the front box on the quad before I ever need it.

Seriously though, I will probably take my clutches off this winter and have them serviced and put the new belt on just for routine maintenance.

If you plan on using the quad to plow snow, the CVT really shines there as well. Honda has the stupid push button, pull lever contraption set up. CVT is an easy lever to switch between low and reverse.

Understand your hesitation with the CVT style transmission as I was in the same boat too coming from the old style but now that I have had one, I will never buy a quad without it again.
Yep, my hunting buddy, FIL, my brother and I all have the same brand of quad that uses a CVT. FIL has well over 6000 (I think approaching 7K) kms on his original belt - still going as strong as the day he bought it 7 years ago. His spare has never seen the light of day and it may never either. My old quad is with my brother and it's still running on the same belt after 9 years. My hunting buddy and I have quads that are significantly stronger than the other two and our quads run just as well with these "weak link belts" that everyone else in the industry seems to call out.

I'll put my quad up against any other manual/electric shifting quad out there and I'll stay out in front. Only another one of the same brand would do better in my opinion. But then again, that statement is only an opinion.....

J.
Old 09-19-2017, 01:20 PM
Banned

Having owned both, and driven the heck out of them, I'd go with the Yamaha. I blew the transmission in my rubicon and the $2400 invoice to repair it, along with the better reel de the Yamaha offers, pretty much turned me off Honda and and onto yamaha. Honda is good for the farm yard, beyond that I'd go with yamaha.
Old 09-19-2017, 02:14 PM

I'm a Honda guy but my next atv will be a 700 Grizz. I so want that diff lock.
Old 09-19-2017, 02:46 PM

I own a foreman 500, and love it, wouldn't want anything else.

My hunting partner has 3 yamaha, they're great machines, definitely provide a smoother ride and better suspension travel than my honda, but the body trim is too small. We ride together in muddy trails, he's covered in mud, while I'm bone dry.
Old 09-19-2017, 02:52 PM

I was looking at a new Yam and they have the wet rear brake or the braking system in front of the differential. Has anyone had any experience with this type of brake system. I have read that it causes the differential oil to boil if you are using your rear brakes a lot on a hot day. Also how hard is it to replace or repair the rear brakes with the wet system. i have a 05 yam kodiak with the old style with brake pads on just the left wheel and they are easy to change.
Old 09-19-2017, 03:07 PM

Default Engine BRAKING as well!!!!

I have two Yamaha Grizzlies, both 660's, My Bro had a 660 and now has the 700.

I did have a clutch issue at 5K, not a belt issue, but a clutch issue. ended up getting the bike rebuilt end to end and don't regret it.

Hondas are a solid machine, Most models with a solid rear axle, that beats the crap out of you on a rough day. The swing arm suspension really makes a difference between getting out of a hole and getting off to winch, which is based on my experience riding since 1994. Does your planned Honda purchase have a rear swing arm suspension?

As for the Yamaha CVT, it also does engine braking, which is very handy on hills where you do not want to go into a skid.

Basically, the Suzuki 300 King Quad was the leader in design innovation, but it weighed a solid 550 # because of the gear on gear system. It had front diff lock, bull low, three ranges on the Transmission, etc.

By going to a CVT, other makers copied the 300 King Quad features, gave it a lot more power, and shaved off about 100 pds. Suzuki eventually had to follow suit.

Plain and simple, what kind of riding do you want to do, and is there a chance you need to go that extra distance in rough terrain.

Nothing is completely bullet proof, not even a Honda. Just toss the coin, get out there and see if you are happy afterwards.

Drewski
Old 09-19-2017, 03:32 PM

My next quad will have a smoother ride. Four wheel independent suspension. The plush factor is nice. Have to admit the Polaris are plush. Makes my little Honda foreman rugged, fun, but no Cadillac experiences.
Old 09-19-2017, 03:33 PM

The belt trannys are far far better than the crap autos Honda puts out. I had the old style rubicon and it sucked but the new dual cluch garbage from Honda is even worse. Seriously they are that bad, they lurch they bang they are always holding the wrong gear they won't go into reverse they don't down shift when you want them to and do when you do don't want them to... How Honda can cobble this crap together and put their name on it is beyond me.

Belt drive from every other Japanese manufacturer are better and more reliable than Honda autos. It took me a while to finally admit this to myself and others as I was a Honda fan for years. Honda quads suck the big one now on many different issues not just the trannys.
Old 09-19-2017, 03:45 PM

I know the op is looking at yamaha and honda but if you want ride comfort and handling Can Am is pretty tough to beat.

I had the belt cover off my 2014 800 outlander last week. Zero wear on the belt and clean in the housing. Blew out the clutches with the compressor. Should be good for another 5000km
Old 09-19-2017, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokinyotes View Post
I know the op is looking at yamaha and honda but if you want ride comfort and handling Can Am is pretty tough to beat.

I had the belt cover off my 2014 800 outlander last week. Zero wear on the belt and clean in the housing. Blew out the clutches with the compressor. Should be good for another 5000km
I have to agree, my friends with Can Ams that I have ridden are pretty nice too.
Old 09-19-2017, 04:50 PM

I have a Honda 420 Rancher
8000 km on it

Zero mechanical issues

Ive changed cv boots just to do it

Oil changes, fluid changes, clean gas

I know nothing of Yamahas tho.

I would buy another Honda tomorrow.
Old 09-19-2017, 05:04 PM

Thanks for all the replies and opinions guys, much appreciated. So far I'm leaning on the Kodiak. And for the guys that said can am, I would love to but it's out of my budget unless I go used. And I'd rather new.
Old 09-19-2017, 05:14 PM

Honda has done we well over the years.

Picked up a 420 two years ago with tires and tracks, 10 to 11.000 k by tires and 7000 k on tracks,,, thats half distance at 3500 kms.

Covered most of Alberta's Eastern Slopes and many areas in BC last winter.

Been tapping it kool with this unit since folks said that the axles will brake due to extra stress from the tracks.

So far so good as I go into winter 3 with no damage or broken parts.

The 420 is like a miniature D 4 cat on the hills.
Do the all season tracks as they will take many places.

Don

PS: All units now days work good, just find a dealer you can work with incase you need things sorted at some point.
Old 09-19-2017, 05:19 PM
Banned

Quote:
Thanks for all the replies and opinions guys, much appreciated. So far I'm leaning on the Kodiak. And for the guys that said can am, I would love to but it's out of my budget unless I go used. And I'd rather new.
Opinions here are biased, opinionated, sometimes rude, uninformed, over informed, friendly, goofy, intelligent. Its up to you to decide which is what. Or,,,,, trust friends, your own research and you needs. Most people that say honda have likely never owned anything else, same with the Yamaha folks, both are fine machines and there can be a lemon in any brand. I saw you mentioned not wanting used, I would go used in a heart beat, i have bought several used machines that were fantastic and sold several that I would trust my daughter on. Know what your looking for and know who your dealing with. Ive never owned a honda (vanilla) and have had very good yam's, polaris and currently run a 1000XMR canam on tracks. Just do your research and watch out for the internet hero's,,,, good luck on you search
Old 09-19-2017, 05:23 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justfishin73 View Post
Can be done on the trail with the right tools, but its a ******ing huge pain-especially if its cold. The sealed Honda has never given me issues in 30 years.
30 year old technology, why would you even suggest this to the guy
Old 09-19-2017, 06:49 PM

If had to pickup a breifcase of million bucks in bush, would pick a Honda so i can Return to Spend it LOL, there are great quad's out there and more Funner quad's, but i think Honda No Matter what product they make from Generator's to Vehicle's are well known for dependability, i believe also that comparing across the Board CC's / Power, take a 500 Rubicon and compare to ANY manufacturer let's see which one get's closest price asked for , it wont be any of the other brand's, Re-sale Kick's Butt... Now if only Honda made some Fun Big Bore's.
Old 09-19-2017, 07:06 PM

I have owned arctic cat, yamaha, suzuki, polaris and can am quads. Arctic cat was the worse handling. Suzuki was built very light and you had to carry a hand full of push pins to keep the plastic on. My wifes 450 yamaha kodiak has been good but has the typical poor squealling yamaha brakes. Polaris seem to be a little higher maintenance and the drive belt did not last as long as the others. Bottom line the Canam has the most power, best ride and handling but is not the simplest to do maintenance on. If i were to buy a utility quad tomorrow for hunting it would probably be a 420 honda.
Old 09-19-2017, 07:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xbolt7mm View Post
Opinions here are biased, opinionated, sometimes rude, uninformed, over informed, friendly, goofy, intelligent. Its up to you to decide which is what. Or,,,,, trust friends, your own research and you needs. Most people that say honda have likely never owned anything else, same with the Yamaha folks, both are fine machines and there can be a lemon in any brand. I saw you mentioned not wanting used, I would go used in a heart beat, i have bought several used machines that were fantastic and sold several that I would trust my daughter on. Know what your looking for and know who your dealing with. Ive never owned a honda (vanilla) and have had very good yam's, polaris and currently run a 1000XMR canam on tracks. Just do your research and watch out for the internet hero's,,,, good luck on you search
I know what you mean, I've been reading and watching countless reviews, but I know everything is biased. That's why I was looking for people with these machines to chime in with what they like and don't like. I have 4 old Honda's in my garage now, all from the 80s. I just want something brand new so I know the machine, know what it's been through and know all the maintenance will be done properly and regularly.