Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 09-19-2017, 09:25 AM

Default Take the kids hunting.

A good friend and the guy I've hunted with most over the years drew a ewe tag and asked if my 13 year old (my oldest) and myself would like to follow along. Tyler also had a youth partner licence for the tag so off we went.

We saw Grizzlies, Black Bear, Elk, Moose, and with a little luck got sheep in the right spot for a stalk. The shot ended up being around 340 yds and so Tyler passed on shooting as he wasn't comfortable at that range. But he couldn't have had a better time. Even though the terrain was tough and steps long. When he got home he immediately went to the computer and google earth to show his younger brother and sister where he had been.

It's important for hunters to pass on their experiences and traditions.

-Billy Molls
Old 09-19-2017, 09:32 AM

awesome! nice work, my two oldest hunt a lot with me now. Its a different hunt but very rewarding.
Old 09-19-2017, 09:34 AM

Good stuff. Taking my 8 year old son out Thursday for 5 day's camping in the wall tent. Hoping for bear, moose, elk or deer. But, will be happy just getting out.
Old 09-19-2017, 09:36 AM

That looks absolutely awesome! There is absolutely nothing better than hunting with Dad!
Old 09-19-2017, 09:48 AM

Dang no moose tag for us this year.

thegungirl.ca @gmail.com
Old 09-19-2017, 11:21 AM
Banned

First off, great job with your kids Chuck. It's so easy for parents to let the internet and mobile divides raise tgeir kids these days.

My oldest was still in diapers (he's turning 15 in a couple days) when I had him in hunting camp, the little bugger put on my rubber boots and ran out of the cabin wearing only a diaper, coat, and rubber boots to go look at the moose we had on the trailer. He was 5yrs old when I had him with me and killed a bull moose with my archery tackle. Now I hunt with him almost exclusively. I just bought my youngest, who turned 5 this summer, his first compound bow, a little Barnett tomcat. He said he wants to hunt moose just like me so we can eat them.

I honestly believe that introducing your kids to the outdoors right from the getgo, and including them in all your excursions will not only strengthen the bond you have with them, but it will also help keep them on the straight and narrow.
Old 09-19-2017, 12:23 PM

Great to hear he had fun. There is nothing like being in the mountains!
Old 09-19-2017, 12:49 PM

Excellent Job Dad! Looks like you made him some lifetime memories.

BW
Old 09-19-2017, 02:01 PM

Dang never noticed this before today when I posted the pic. Eyeball of some sort thinkin Samsquanch or Grizz, lying in wait, to attack your throat.

thegungirl.ca @gmail.com
Old 09-19-2017, 03:17 PM

Great posts everyone thanks for sharing! Just went out on the weekend with my boy as well and wanted to share our story too so glad you started this thread.

Went out for the day on Sunday. I’m a new hunter and he is too (4 years old) so we were hopeful but not sure how the day would turn out. Got back into the bush a ways but all we saw were tracks, and lots of them... nothing moving though. Saw lots of bear sign too. Spent the morning on a 4 km hike and about 1/4 of that was through pretty dense undergrowth. Shrubs are nothing for us big people but they are like redwoods to a kid. He was such a trooper he walked the entire way through the vegetation and steep creek ravines without a single complaint. He tripped countless times, got lots of branches to the face, and poison ivy on the hands but had a great attitude the entire time. That distance on a sidewalk is a feat for a 4 year old never mind in the bush!

Got back to the truck around 1 and slept for a couple of hours then picked right back up to go look some more. Found a spot off a lease road that looked promising so we hunkered down for another 2-1/2 hours where he waited patiently and quietly.

All for naught. But I can tell you we both thoroughly enjoyed ourselves. We put some hard work in, learned some things about the outdoors, and had some good laughs along the way. Couldn’t be more proud of him.

That to me is a successful hunt. Here’s to many more years.

(Don’t mind the puffed up proud Dad chest)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk