Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 09-15-2017, 11:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bub View Post
You have forgotten to mention that the minimum wage increase is the reason they are closing the doors in the first place
Stores like this will be going under no doubt. Amazon prices are better than any store Ive been to. Brick and mortar have to cover that rent/lease with higher prices. Now minimum wage at $15 soon to be? Cannot have a survivable margin. Along with the dopes in Ottawa wanting to tax businesses to death.

Ive only had good experiences at WSS, but I am patient and can wait for a really good deal. Feel bad for the guys and gals at the Calgary store, great people.
Old 09-15-2017, 11:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterninja View Post
Spoke a bit with the mng. He say's they have had lot's of sales of up to 30% or more and were never very busy. Now that they are closing, it's like a feeding frenzy where people can save 5-10% on almost everything and thats with no store warranty's or returns. Big Whoopie!
I understand where you are going with this, but I can't help but think Wholesale themselves were a bit to blame for their sales not attracting many customers. At least my experience with the Regina store that had previously closed, any time they had a sale there was seldom anything applicable in stock. And I'm not talking about the last couple days of a sale either. There were time's they'd have what looked to be a great sale advertised for stuff I needed so I'd make a trip into the city the day the sale started and end up walking out empty handed. And IMO, the store was worse before Cabela's even opened up. They kind of became an afterthought to me, the only reason I'd stop there is if I had time to kill and was driving past it anyway.
Old 09-16-2017, 12:38 AM

Default US shopping vs Domestic purchase

Ordered 3 tree stands from Bass Pro (US)the other day... checked at Bella's...was told 6 weeks until stock arrived. Called Bass pro Calgary and was quoted $250/stand and employee estimated $99 shipping so $850+tax....or $892.50 to my door...called Bass Pro Merica...$150 for the same stand, including duty/freight/taxes, all in to my door $502 USD or $612 Canadian...how can you shop locally(within country) same store over 30% off shopping south of the border...awesome?

PS wholesale has been good for whet I have been seeking over the years...
Old 09-16-2017, 06:35 AM

Wink

You know what's even funnier, is that the guys whining were like vultures as well!!!
Old 09-16-2017, 06:42 AM

"Nature abhors a vacuum"
South Calgary needs a store like Wholesale...it's too bad Russels, Borottos, Frenchies were bought out....I see an opportunity for the right person/group. Hopefully a Phoenix will rise from the ashes for south Calgary.
Old 09-16-2017, 07:33 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by tikka250 View Post
Sounds like a bunch of guys being bitter about not getting the good deals they envisioned.
I will be going and I will likely grab a lot of stuff for the reasons that I live too far from big box stores for shipping ammo and bullets to make financial sense. Wss was my source for Canadian made score ammo so I will likely grab some cases of that.
Exactly. They are moaning about seeing all of the zombies walking the isles looking for deals that don't exist when they should just look in a mirror.
Old 09-16-2017, 08:13 AM

With so much distaste we have for the retail options available to outdoorsmen, maybe it's time we all banded together to form a co-op similar to MEC.

Probably not an easy thing to do, but I bet if it started as online only, it could grow into something special. Would be nice to support a store that's truly Canadian and run by people who care about the industry.
Old 09-16-2017, 10:20 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by korie83 View Post
With so much distaste we have for the retail options available to outdoorsmen, maybe it's time we all banded together to form a co-op similar to MEC.

Probably not an easy thing to do, but I bet if it started as online only, it could grow into something special. Would be nice to support a store that's truly Canadian and run by people who care about the industry.
I think this id a great idea.
MEC was started in Vancouver in 1971. Proof you don't need to have the customer base of the U.S.
It could be done here.
Old 09-16-2017, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Wouldn't it be great if a month or so from now, WSS comes out with a news release that say's they have worked things out and are going to remain in business? It would serve some of the vultures I saw today right.
I stopped by today just to see what's happening. Parking lot overflowing, and two very long line ups of 27 and 29 people while I was there. Spoke a bit with the mng. He say's they have had lot's of sales of up to 30% or more and were never very busy. Now that they are closing, it's like a feeding frenzy where people can save 5-10% on almost everything and thats with no store warranty's or returns. Big Whoopie! Very few items were at the max 30% savings (like boat accessories). It should have been funny to see some of these sheeple standing in line for an hour or 2 loaded down with ammo at 5% off when they could buy the same ammo at Canadian Tire for less, but it just sort of made me sad. I guess some people might have saved some money on something they were planning on buying anyways, but for the most part it looked like long lines of grinning fools thinking they're gaining something because of someone else's loss. I think all AB outdoorsmen will have lost something when the doors finally close. I'm hoping it's a marketing ploy to move stale stock.
Rant Over
This isn't directed at you personally but against all of you that are white-knighting and virtue signalling in regards to wholesale sports closing. Some businesses fail. That's life. People like bargains. That's life too. People will always speak with their wallets. If there is a chance that a deal will be found, people will go there.

I was there yesterday to see what was on sale and not much was. Did buy the one thing I needed at full price because I needed it. At no point did I have the same thoughts as you.

If wholesale sports wanted to stay in business they would have had to make adjustments to their business model. Obviously they didn't. Who cares.
Old 09-16-2017, 11:36 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Throttle_monkey1 View Post
This isn't directed at you personally but against all of you that are white-knighting and virtue signalling in regards to wholesale sports closing. Some businesses fail. That's life. People like bargains. That's life too. People will always speak with their wallets. If there is a chance that a deal will be found, people will go there.

I was there yesterday to see what was on sale and not much was. Did buy the one thing I needed at full price because I needed it. At no point did I have the same thoughts as you.

If wholesale sports wanted to stay in business they would have had to make adjustments to their business model. Obviously they didn't. Who cares.
I don't take it personally, and you make a good point. Buisness is buisness. I also wonder how many people were there to use any gift cards they might have had while they still could.
As for who cares, well I think it does affect anyone who buy's hunting, fishing, hiking, etc. items. I think having WSS helped keep prices a little lower among all sports stores.
Old 09-16-2017, 12:45 PM

The loss of another choice(wholesale sports) is a loss for all outdoorsman.

In Calgary or Edmonton it gave you an additional toy store.

Lethbridge doesnt have a BP or Cabelas and the closing will have a larger impact.

It is sad to see them go. And unfortunate for the employees as well.

made in Alberta__ born n raised.

FS-Tinfool hats by the roll.
Old 09-16-2017, 12:55 PM

Default wss

Quote:
Wouldn't it be great if a month or so from now, WSS comes out with a news release that say's they have worked things out and are going to remain in business? It would serve some of the vultures I saw today right.
I stopped by today just to see what's happening. Parking lot overflowing, and two very long line ups of 27 and 29 people while I was there. Spoke a bit with the mng. He say's they have had lot's of sales of up to 30% or more and were never very busy. Now that they are closing, it's like a feeding frenzy where people can save 5-10% on almost everything and thats with no store warranty's or returns. Big Whoopie! Very few items were at the max 30% savings (like boat accessories). It should have been funny to see some of these sheeple standing in line for an hour or 2 loaded down with ammo at 5% off when they could buy the same ammo at Canadian Tire for less, but it just sort of made me sad. I guess some people might have saved some money on something they were planning on buying anyways, but for the most part it looked like long lines of grinning fools thinking they're gaining something because of someone else's loss. I think all AB outdoorsmen will have lost something when the doors finally close. I'm hoping it's a marketing ploy to move stale stock.
Rant Over
its like going to an auction and 30 of the same item comes up the bidding goes crazy biding the item up the winners takes one of the items and they start over again bid item up to a sale price and everyone will take 1
Old 09-16-2017, 01:02 PM
Banned

I went yesterday 9am
Not because I expected everything 50% off but because I needed something and believe it or not they are the only ones to have my Leupold in stock.
As a UFA member I had a wildcard and tried to support them whenever I could.
I liked that they dont store PAL info when buying a rifle like Cabelas does.
In general people are going to open their wallets, for 2 reasons: They absolutely need something, or that store is the cheapest. 9 times out of 10 Wholesale Sports did not have what I wanted, and would not get it, or they were more expensive than the competitor. People shop around.
Wholesale Sports was poorly managed. Just like their parent company. That is obvious, but ultimately every dollar we spent at Cabelas drove a nail into the coffin of W.S.
Old 09-16-2017, 02:24 PM

Nanaimo store was busy last night as well. As others have stated not a lot of "bargains". Most everything was only 10% off.

I did pick up an item that I needed for my hiking pack, and was able to use the last of my gift card.

Will probably stop by in a couple of weeks to see if there is anything else I could use.

Mr Conservation
Old 09-16-2017, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBintheNorth View Post
....... They're putting the screws to a lot of people I think.
You've been warned.

you don't say?
this could be the very reason why they are shutting down, WSS was one of the worst stores i ever shopped at. Their customer service has always been right on par with the sh!t sandwich bass pro also serves. That's why I was so happy for Cabelas to come to Calgary, but really they are no better.

but as far as putting the screws to people, it is a lot to do with psychology. Like home depot putting an item on the shelf for the first time and having a sales sticker that says "price was xxx now yyy" to give people the impression of saving money, but it is a new product how can it have a price was??

Last edited by Stustage; 09-16-2017 at 03:26 PM.
Old 09-16-2017, 06:31 PM

Stopped in Wholesale Sports in Saskatoon last Thursday for a few hard to find items. While waiting in a loooong line at the til the Manager approached all waiting and gave us $20.00 off cards with $100.00 merchandise purchased. A thank you for your patience gesture. I walked back and purchased a few extra goods.
I shopped WS over the years as everyone else does. They are a big retailer and it doesnt hurt to price shop. There presence would help to keep pricing in check with Cabelas/BassPro/CanadianTire.
I support the small gun stores first and foremost. However, they dont carry everything.
Old 09-16-2017, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShortsideK View Post
Exactly. They are moaning about seeing all of the zombies walking the isles looking for deals that don't exist when they should just look in a mirror.
Old 09-16-2017, 06:41 PM

Default WSS Liquidation Sale Rant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stustage View Post
WSS was one of the worst stores i ever shopped at. Their customer service has always been right on par with the sh!t sandwich bass pro also serves. That's why I was so happy for Cabelas to come to Calgary, but really they are no better.

So you don't like the customer service anywhere?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 09-16-2017, 07:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBintheNorth View Post
. When I brought it to her attention she said "that's unfortunate, there's nothing I can do now, sorry."
I made her call a manager and I pointed to the employees that specifically told me what was 30%, but he repeated what the young girl had said, "sorry, nothing we can do."
Imagine going to work for min. wage knowing that as soon as everything in the store is sold your out of a job???? I can't.

Then add having to deal with mobs of people that aren't happy cause they aren't getting everything for a huge discount.... I know my give a F$#% meter would be pretty low!

I'm always surprised that stores going out of business can keep staff..... But I guess you don't get EI if you quit.
Old 09-16-2017, 08:05 PM

Bottom line is we lost a significant player that kept prices/ the market in check. Regardless of whether you loved them or hated them, we, as consumers, are worse off.
Personally, I will miss them.
Old 09-17-2017, 12:05 AM

but ultimately every dollar we spent at Cabelas drove a nail into the coffin of W.S................and those people all shop there and complain how WSS did a bad job an on and on meanwhile they are doing most of their shopping at Cabelas or BP. Was in the biz and saw it every day. Consumers can take half the blame the ability of the company to change with the times is the other. People don't buy just because nice guys work there or they always have any longer. Those that think this will die and they are in all retail.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlightlyDistracting View Post
I went yesterday 9am
Not because I expected everything 50% off but because I needed something and believe it or not they are the only ones to have my Leupold in stock.
As a UFA member I had a wildcard and tried to support them whenever I could.
I liked that they dont store PAL info when buying a rifle like Cabelas does.
In general people are going to open their wallets, for 2 reasons: They absolutely need something, or that store is the cheapest. 9 times out of 10 Wholesale Sports did not have what I wanted, and would not get it, or they were more expensive than the competitor. People shop around.
Wholesale Sports was poorly managed. Just like their parent company. That is obvious, but ultimately every dollar we spent at Cabelas drove a nail into the coffin of W.S.
Old 09-17-2017, 12:12 AM
Banned

Wholesale Sports was a good Canadian company that could not compete with US big brother Bass Pro who now also owns Cabelas.
All the profits from the Bass Pro and Cabelas stores go directly to their USA corporate headquarters. Too bad the profits don't stay in Canada.
Trump says America first - maybe we should start saying Canada first.

This reminds me of what happened when Walmart came to Canada 27 years ago and closed all the small city Canadian stores. Support your local Canadian hunting & fishing shops when you can. We don't want them to also disappear.

Old 09-17-2017, 12:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GunnerySgtJackson View Post
Way off topic but I feel it is important to note: In my 50 + years of stomping around the world, Dick, you are only the second person that I have seen/heard use the word "Dingus". The first and only other was an Alberta Boy as well.......Hmmm
Sorry....back to topic.
And he is Actually using it correctly!!. Dingus is singular, the plural; of Dingus is Dinguses and not Dingie like many think

Quote:
nounNORTH AMERICANSOUTH AFRICANinformal
used to refer to something whose name the speaker cannot remember, is unsure of, or is humorously or euphemistically omitting.
I am still very sorry to see WS going. They always treated me great and their prices were usually very competitive, plus they carried way more reload stuff than anywhere else locally. I hope the sales continue to go well so the staff get as long a run as they can.
Old 09-17-2017, 06:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ntsougri View Post
Wholesale Sports was a good Canadian company that could not compete with US big brother Bass Pro who now also owns Cabelas.
All the profits from the Bass Pro and Cabelas stores go directly to their USA corporate headquarters. Too bad the profits don't stay in Canada.
Trump says America first - maybe we should start saying Canada first.

This reminds me of what happened when Walmart came to Canada 27 years ago and closed all the small city Canadian stores. Support your local Canadian hunting & fishing shops when you can. We don't want them to also disappear.

When I lived in Fort McMurray, every hunting and fishing store failed, and a big part was that some people would go to Canadian Tire or Wal-Mart for ammunition or fishing lures that they stocked. Those people only went to the specialty stores when Canadian Tire and Wal-Mart didn't have what they wanted, so the specialty stores didn't survive. Then the same people complained about the lack of hunting and fishing supplies in the city.
Old 09-17-2017, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bub View Post
You have forgotten to mention that the minimum wage increase is the reason they are closing the doors in the first place
Does WSS pay below the new threshold? Doubt it. Many retail jobs already pay above the new minimum.
Old 09-17-2017, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoytCRX32 View Post
Bottom line is we lost a significant player that kept prices/ the market in check. Regardless of whether you loved them or hated them, we, as consumers, are worse off.
Personally, I will miss them.

I'm in total agreement.
Old 09-17-2017, 08:48 AM

That is true and we will hear that line many times over for years after they are gone and people bitch about the 2 big U.S. companies. Reality is half the reason consumers have been doing lots of shopping up there and are giving those guys exactly why they opened up here. No one to blame but the consumer for half of their problems.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobinthesky View Post
I'm in total agreement.
Old 09-17-2017, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
When I lived in Fort McMurray, every hunting and fishing store failed, and a big part was that some people would go to Canadian Tire or Wal-Mart for ammunition or fishing lures that they stocked. Those people only went to the specialty stores when Canadian Tire and Wal-Mart didn't have what they wanted, so the specialty stores didn't survive. Then the same people complained about the lack of hunting and fishing supplies in the city.
I'm all for supporting local businesses, but I'm also all for supporting my bank account.

Pretty hard to justify spending $18.99 on a spool of mono at the local guys store when a 2 minute drive down the road at CT and the same spool is $11.99 and they have 8 spools of each strength from 8-60 pounds.

WSS problem was they would have the same $11.99 price tag but the shelves would be empty. You get to the point that you don't even want to waste your time or gas driving to WSS knowing your only going to be disappointing.

Sad to see them leave but if they had great prices and lots of stock all the time they would still be open.
Old 09-17-2017, 09:30 AM

When I was shooting and hunting lots they were my go-to store. Then with fishing and gearing out for my boat again they received a lot of my money. Several times I asked about them matching price I found online, and the answer was the same as Canadian Tire and TFH, no. If they did match anything, it had to be local, in stock, clearly marked and some even said advertised price instead of just a picture from the store.
The staff and management were for the most part great, but of course there were some deadheads as well.
Now I have nowhere to buy halibut or salmon gear, I can't stop at PG WS anymore on the way to Rupert. It is a shame and the other retailers are going to see blood in the water. Wait for a price jump at neighboring stores, it's coming. The range in prices in the stores, online etc is ridiculous, the markup is obscene on recreation.

Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck
I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 09-17-2017, 09:41 AM

Ken the trouble on price matching some of these and CTire and Cabelas are really bad for it is to advertise something on a smoking deal and then the only place they have one is in Newfoundland. I witnessed this regularly at one of your stores you mentioned and yes we said no but at the same time there was no way to get one even if you wanted to at that price.