Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 09-19-2017, 03:07 PM

IBTL
Old 09-19-2017, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xbolt7mm View Post
Its actually kinda sad really, I'm old enough to know their history. Frenchy's was my store That i bought my first three guns at. (Lost a 19 inch non typical antelope in the fire) then the went across the street for the fire sale, then along came Barroto's, then it went to east of McLean trail by chinook. Now its death. Sad really.
Don't mean to be picky but as I recall the first store was Barottos on about 5th Ave & 5th Street downtown established about mid 1960s. One brother was killed in motorcycle crash and other brother moved to 9th Ave & 8 Street brick bldg that had been boarded up for years. Operated as Frenchys till it burned down. Subsequently Wholesale Sports was established and so on. Was an excellent shop in the beginning & many of us oilpatch guys would visit/browse during the lunch hour.
Old 09-19-2017, 03:24 PM

Default Ufa

Go to the UFA in Red Deer. Tell them how much you appreciate them carrying firearms and buy one.. Go into all the rural UFA's and ask them why they don't carry firearms. After all, it is our country heritage that their grassroots are founded on!
Old 09-19-2017, 09:27 PM

Red Deer UFA does not carry guns and has not for several years now! They do carry a bit of ammo but that is it.
Old 09-19-2017, 09:49 PM

UFA is a cold heartless POS business.

My parents ran UFA here for over 25 years. One day the area manager walked in and said thanks, turn in your keys.

There were a half dozen managers over the next half dozen years, and for years there has been no gas station at all.

I wouldn't care if UFA went bankrupt. They suck.

Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck
I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 09-20-2017, 06:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GWC View Post
Don't mean to be picky but as I recall the first store was Barottos on about 5th Ave & 5th Street downtown established about mid 1960s. One brother was killed in motorcycle crash and other brother moved to 9th Ave & 8 Street brick bldg that had been boarded up for years. Operated as Frenchys till it burned down. Subsequently Wholesale Sports was established and so on. Was an excellent shop in the beginning & many of us oilpatch guys would visit/browse during the lunch hour.
I first remember Barottos was across from Chinook Mall in a Texaco gas station. Back wall was some guns and ammo.

Dodger
Old 09-20-2017, 07:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by solocam3 View Post
Go to the UFA in Red Deer. Tell them how much you appreciate them carrying firearms and buy one.. Go into all the rural UFA's and ask them why they don't carry firearms. After all, it is our country heritage that their grassroots are founded on!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevy 454 View Post
Red Deer UFA does not carry guns and has not for several years now! They do carry a bit of ammo but that is it.
This is true. They got out of firearms a long time ago. Even their employees said it was a terrible move. Management would not listen and told them that is why we have wholesale sports. Even though the closest wholesale sports was close to 2 hours away.

Anyways the liquidation is BS. A waste of time and prices not even as good as a regular sale.

As for their business, I found their service very lacking. Their were very few good employees that actually cared enough to help their customers. Saying that there also were some EXCELLENT employees who went out of their way to help.

Regardless this sucks. THe management did not run the stores very well and as usual it will be the employees and society that will have to pay.

It would be nice to see the UFA's start carrying firearms and sporting supplies again. Then maybe some of these people could transfer there!
Old 09-20-2017, 12:26 PM

Before the move to inglewood frenchys was in montgomery, a block away from home road and bowness road at the bottom of the hill in that tiny strip mall near 49th street. Thats where i used to buy my fishing supplies when i was going to university in the early 70s
Old 09-20-2017, 04:58 PM

Does anyone know if they have any decent deals on a handheld gps or is it not worth the trip?
Old 09-20-2017, 09:14 PM

same in Nanaimo, it was jammed packed and people grabbing things at 10% off like it was a steal.
Old 09-21-2017, 06:26 AM

Went to the Deerfoot Meadows store yesterday. Anything good is only at 10% off...not worth going in my opinion. As it gets closer to actual closure I think prices will drop but one will have be there at just the right time or will probably miss some deals.
Old 09-21-2017, 07:42 AM
Banned

I spend a lot of cash at stores that sell fishing tackle/bait every year. I do not buy rifles or hunting gear, nor am I predisposed to purchase clothing from this type of retailer. But I will miss the store in Saskatoon as it was clean, well run and friendly (to me at least.) The tackle section was fairly empty for a while but this spring the shelves and racks were full.

But I also spend a great deal at the Fishin' Hole and some at Cabela's and I cannot pass through a town with a tackle shop without stopping to see if there is anything in stock that I don't have but for some reason or another I need.

Sorry to hear that the Alberta stores have lousy service at the gun counters. I have zero experience at that counter and the last time I bought a rifle was in 1971. A Belgium Browning 30.06 with a scope and case for $25.00 and a tank of gas at 2 bits a gallon.

As for them 'good old boys" at Frenchies on 9th Avenue - the McGill Block - unless you were one of them they could be down right hostile. And the building never "burned down" but was the squalid rooms upstairs would frequently and mysteriously burn and partially gutted the building badly the last time. Around 1990 a group of local business men rebuilt the interior, made loft condominiums (first one in Calgary) on two floors and put in two businesses on the main floor including a golf course architect.

As for WSS, looks like a good place to buy Christmas gifts this year.

Free
Old 09-21-2017, 08:07 AM

Default Good Riddance!

I personally wouldn't spend another dime in this place. Especially now that they are closing, not going there to buy crap I don't need for a joke of a discount would be the last bitter nail in their coffin.
When I had to go into WSS, it was out of necessity, and definitely not my number 1 choice.
I honestly feel bad for the good people of those stores that will be out of a job, but that's about it.
I would say out of all the times I went in, my good experiences were about 2 out of 10. The rest of the times, there was either no one around to help, or they were rude or just didn't give a crap and looked at you as if you were an inconvenience.
I am not sure why people err I mean sheep would be flocking to a store going out of business which crappy discounts and obviously no after sale support, I assume all sales now are final. I can go to any other outdoorsy store like Cabela's, Bass Pro, or CT and get what I need, with better service, and usually way better prices.
This "liquidation" sale is a joke just like WSS has been for the past many years.
Old 09-21-2017, 08:31 AM

Does anyone else remember Simpson and Lee. They were on about 2 street east and 7ave Calgary. That was over 45 years ago. I bought my first 12 gauge pump there. They used to also process hides there.
Old 09-21-2017, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBE View Post
Does anyone else remember Simpson and Lee. They were on about 2 street east and 7ave Calgary. That was over 45 years ago. I bought my first 12 gauge pump there. They used to also process hides there.
I remember Simpson and Lee. Centre Street between 7th and 8th Avenue. When Harry Simpson was alive they used to buy the odd hide there but most of their processing was in a facility along the river east of there. After Harry's death and business sold to Jim Bowlen(?) the business moved to the mall on 8th Avenue. Never was the same after that.
Old 09-21-2017, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhfong View Post
Before the move to inglewood frenchys was in montgomery, a block away from home road and bowness road at the bottom of the hill in that tiny strip mall near 49th street. Thats where i used to buy my fishing supplies when i was going to university in the early 70s
Frenchys was at that location on 9th Avenue for as long as I can remember. That store in Montgomery was Bears Paw Sports owned by Rick Bryne.
Old 09-21-2017, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dodger View Post
I first remember Barottos was across from Chinook Mall in a Texaco gas station. Back wall was some guns and ammo.

Dodger
That was Manchester sports that you remember,
Old 09-21-2017, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GWC View Post
What you describe is the approx. location for Barotto Sports. It was started and owned by Barry Deakin and Otto Krumes. Not brothers! Neither killed in motorcycle crash. Barry and Otto died together during a snow storm while passing a snow plow on a mountain pass.

The widows moved the business to 9th Ave S West. The Butler brothers bought both Barottos and Frenchys and joined the two businesses at the 9th Avenue East Frenchy's location. Sometime after the fire they moved to the 58th Avenue location and added Wholesale Sports to the name.
Old 09-21-2017, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by covey ridge View Post
That was Manchester sports that you remember,
You may be right. How old are you

But did it not become Barottos when it moved?

Dodger
Old 09-21-2017, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dodger View Post
You may be right. How old are you

But did it not become Barottos when it moved?

Dodger
Your only as old as you feel but sometimes I feel really old

Before the Butlers bought Frenchy's and Barotto's they owned a place called Larson Electric and I think they sold guns there. I have been in all the other stores mentioned on this thread.
Old 09-21-2017, 01:04 PM

There was also Guncraft on Edmonton Trail. I can't remember the years but in the 70's.
Old 09-21-2017, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBE View Post
There was also Guncraft on Edmonton Trail. I can't remember the years but in the 70's.
Guncraft was a really neat store. Gunther was the smith and half owner. Gunter used to be a smith at Barottos. He was in partnership with a big Texan named Pete. Pete passed some time ago. I don't remember Pete's last name.
Their wood man was Eddie Mach. They sure made some beautiful custom rifles.
Guncraft was bought ot by Russells and closed down before WSS bought out Russells.

All this talk about gun shops that used to be and are no more remind me that at one time there were numerous stores in the City of Calgary and now there are few and we are going to be even one fewer.
Old 09-21-2017, 08:03 PM

Default decoys

I went to WWS south I bought two box GREAT CANDA GEESE flocked 8psc 350 s when I opened at home most decoys had some damaged All sales are final so before You buy check for damaged I sand pict to TANGLE FREE They decided to sand 1 box 4pcs for free Lucky me cheers Mario