Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 09-18-2017, 04:21 PM

Default Gps

Looks like I need to get a GPS---any recommendations? looking at this one.

http://www.cabelas.ca/product/65922/...s-handheld-gps

previous threads all concern older tech
Old 09-18-2017, 05:27 PM

Thats the one I have, also get the alberta backroads chip to install. About another $100 but then you are laughing.
Old 09-18-2017, 08:06 PM

Wirh 15% off GCs plus 10% welcome email, comes out to $259. Lets call it my early Christmas present.

Where do I grab that backroads card?

Thank you
Old 09-19-2017, 12:09 AM

Bought the 60CSx years ago from Map Town, and had to pay for the TOPO Canada detailed maps CD separately. At the time it was hideously expensive; looks like that hasn't changed much.

There's a normal microSD chip under the batteries, sort of like a cell-phone chip. That holds user data such a uploaded maps called 'GPS software'. The smallest generic chip sold these days anywhere is 16GB, but the unit cannot use more than 4GB because of the way it uses files (FAT32 limit). There is also internal firmware called 'software'. You can see the version of each by pressing and holding the 'enter' and 'on' buttons simultaneously. Version 4.0 was the highest of each which was ever developed. Both firmware and map software have a ton of updates.

Surprise! -Neither the firmware upgrade nor the maps upgrade works anyway. There are apparently two utilities around for uploading the firmware, and three for the GPS software. The GPS software one for v.4.0, discontinued 2009, is based on Doze 2000 (GPSMAP60CSx_400.exe). For firmware one is based on Doze XPsp3-32bit (WebUpdater_WindowsXPSP3andnewer__256.exe), and one based on Doze 7sp1 (GarminExpress.exe). Nothing for Linux or FreeBSD. KVM's virt-manager doesn't like to load that XP, so you have to install it on VBox on Solaris 11.3 (which I conveniently have, to do serious computing on from time to time). That works. But then the micro-USB firmware transfer craps out at about 12 seconds into the GPS firmware erase and loading step. Every time. Web reports exist of the internal USB mount being fragile, so you might have to tear apart the unit and use your detailed [re]soldering skills to fix it.

The maps, administered with an application called MapSource, have a ton of modifications since v.2.0. But apparently it hasn't been maintained since 2010. Or even available since 2011. From user manuals, v.4.0 even seems to use a different kind of security code and serial number on map software so the newest MapSource or replacement is actually needed. But MapSource isn't available anymore, replaced by BaseCamp for Doze v.7+. However, officially, "Garmin does not list any maps as compatible with the GPSMAP 60CSx." whether using BaseCamp and microSD distribution or GarminExpress.exe.

Occasionally, the micro-USB chokes during transmission of maps down to the GPS and you have to re-start. Probably due to the same microUSB contact problem.

So you can't upgrade either maps or firmware anymore whether using GarminExpress.exe or anything else. Nice little FU to all purchasers of expensive GPS product, no? I don't see this being any different for more recent, follow-on product lines. Anything you buy will probably have a current service life of maybe 5 years.

The 60CSx looks almost identical to the 64S, only the shape of the buttons (rectangular now) has changed. It has the same size and weight, takes the same AA batteries and microSD-sized chip. The 60CSx itself, where mapping/navigation is concerned, has proven reliable and accurate. It takes a while to pick up satellite signals and calculate an initial position. That might go quicker with an external antenna attached.

It's a handy shape and size to carry, but you have to do a lot of squinting and scrolling to use the maps for anything much. I'd like to see some of the functionality upgraded a bit, and the screen quite a bit bigger, from the 60CSx. Or just carry a few topo maps with it. That and a Silva might even be a good backup.
Old 09-19-2017, 06:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justfishin73 View Post
Wirh 15% off GCs plus 10% welcome email, comes out to $259. Lets call it my early Christmas present.

Where do I grab that backroads card?

Thank you
In Calgary, GPSCentral

J.
Old 09-19-2017, 07:26 AM

If you hunt / backpack alot out of cell service the garmin/Inreach is a great option. Use it as a stand alone unit or pair it to your smart phone for a larger screen. Does everything a GPS does and also allows two way texting without cell service. If you just do day trips it probably isn't worth the money but if you're a backpacker or hunt alot out of service it can be a life saver.
Old 09-19-2017, 07:29 AM

Mainly day trips, some backcountry, definitely out of cell range.
Old 09-19-2017, 07:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcrayford View Post
In Calgary, GPSCentral

J.
Thank you.
Old 09-19-2017, 07:43 AM

http://www.amazon.ca/Garmin-010-0132.../dp/B010XO3IS8

Great deal on this one, any better?
Old 09-19-2017, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justfishin73 View Post
http://www.amazon.ca/Garmin-010-0132.../dp/B010XO3IS8

Great deal on this one, any better?
I have several, all with different uses. eTrex Vista in my hunting pack (small, light), Garmin Montana 650T with digital camera on quad (geo-references the pictures and GOTO the pic), Garmin Nuvi in the truck. Have had others through the years - all but one are/were Garmin.

The Montana series are nice with the geo-tagging ability, but a little on the heavy side. Plus, it runs on either the re-chargeable battery pack OR I can substitute 3 AA batteries. Digital compass, altimeter, accepts custom/3rd party mapping.

My eTrex is just all-out dependable. I can leave the same set of batteries in there all hunting season (not using it all day everyday as I'm hunting) and it just simply works all the time whenever I need it. And not much larger than 2 packs of gum. Runs on 2 AA batteries and always carry a spare set. Digital compass, altimeter, accepts custom/3rd party mapping.

GPSCentral has virtually all their units on display and on demo, so you can see them in action and play with them. Nice to handle a GPS to see carry weight and utilities/apps it would include.

J.