Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 08-01-2017, 01:19 PM

Default Lost (and found!) Rod-Old Man River by Canyon

Good Day Everyone.

I am posting for a friend in need and to hopefully expose someone who took something that wasn't theirs and wants to keep it et el "Finders keepers".

Two weeks ago (approx) my new friend left his rod close to the side of the road where he parked at the Old Man River close to the falls. At the time, there was one other vehicle there as he left. Upon going home and unpacking, he discovered he had left his rod by the side of the road. Flustered, he drove back to the spot only to find a pile of rocks with a note under that read "Mike has your rod" and "Mikes" phone #. He has tried to contact "Mike", left messages, texts, nadda. In reading the note it is assumed that "Mike" had a buddy that didn't think he should keep the rod. Hence the wording of the note.
This "Mike" person is from Nisku as he was found through reverse directory. All this man wants is his rod and reel back! So, if anyone knows "Mike from Nisku" (I will not post his phone number or last name at this point) It's the proper and decent thing to do and I encourage the "friend and moral person" who left the note if they are on this great site, to pressure "Mike" to return it.
More formal alternate measures are being considered to get it back. This would be done by contacting the authorities as a more official way of retrieving his rightful property. So, Mike, if you are out there and reading this, I believe it would be in your best interests to answer your phone or text messages before this event is escalated to a point you may not like very much.
Anyone who has info on this can pm me.
In the meantime the rod was a Fenwick Atos 9', 5wt with an Ultralight DD reel.

Please help if you can. Someone MUST know this Mike person as Nisku is not a big town and we both thank all members in reading this to enable this nice man to get his rightful property returned.

FHD

Last edited by fishinhogdaddy; 08-01-2017 at 01:45 PM.
Old 08-01-2017, 02:55 PM

Not sure how long it has been. Mike may be in the oil patch and may now be in the field at a remote camp.

Fingers crossed for you and hopefully someone didn't put the wrong name down.
It is not the most intellectual of the species that survives; it is not the strongest that survives; but the species that survives is the one that is able best to adapt and adjust to the changing environment in which it finds itself. Charles Darwin
Old 09-19-2017, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishinhogdaddy View Post
Good Day Everyone.

I am posting for a friend in need and to hopefully expose someone who took something that wasn't theirs and wants to keep it et el "Finders keepers".

Two weeks ago (approx) my new friend left his rod close to the side of the road where he parked at the Old Man River close to the falls. At the time, there was one other vehicle there as he left. Upon going home and unpacking, he discovered he had left his rod by the side of the road. Flustered, he drove back to the spot only to find a pile of rocks with a note under that read "Mike has your rod" and "Mikes" phone #. He has tried to contact "Mike", left messages, texts, nadda. In reading the note it is assumed that "Mike" had a buddy that didn't think he should keep the rod. Hence the wording of the note.
This "Mike" person is from Nisku as he was found through reverse directory. All this man wants is his rod and reel back! So, if anyone knows "Mike from Nisku" (I will not post his phone number or last name at this point) It's the proper and decent thing to do and I encourage the "friend and moral person" who left the note if they are on this great site, to pressure "Mike" to return it.
More formal alternate measures are being considered to get it back. This would be done by contacting the authorities as a more official way of retrieving his rightful property. So, Mike, if you are out there and reading this, I believe it would be in your best interests to answer your phone or text messages before this event is escalated to a point you may not like very much.
Anyone who has info on this can pm me.
In the meantime the rod was a Fenwick Atos 9', 5wt with an Ultralight DD reel.

Please help if you can. Someone MUST know this Mike person as Nisku is not a big town and we both thank all members in reading this to enable this nice man to get his rightful property returned.

FHD
UPDATE.
After 7 weeks of calling Mikes number left on the side of the road and no answer to text or voicemail, my friend decided to call the RCMP. Isn't it a curious thing that 15 minutes after the phone call was made to "Mike" by the RCMP and a voicemail left by the Constable, my friend got a call from "Mike" saying he has his rod. To my knowledge, the Constable did not mention my buddies phone number.
He said he had been away for the last six weeks (PFFT! Who doesn't check their phones for messages/texts nowadays?) and that he would bring the rod to Calgary from his location. Once they met, "Mike" said "here's your rod, gotta go." And away he went with his wife and two children.

The internet is a fun thing for us oldsters. You can find ANYONE if you really try.
I found his wife on Facebook, his dads home number and neither of them tried to connect with my friend to get his property back.

My take: "Mike" and his buddies were returning from their fishing trip back to the truck. He found my friends rod and decided on the spot that he was going to keep it and make no effort to return the rod. One of the people he was fishing with must have had a discussion about the morality of keeping the rod and left a note. After the RCMP were involved, he decided he better return what wasn't rightly his. So, MR. MIKE got caught and thought he better return the property before an investigation was started and they found Mr. Ethics who made the note.

Happy for my friend.

FHD