Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 06-10-2013, 01:23 PM
Banned

Default Pet Insurance

Do any of you have this? how much per month is it? What all does it cover? My golden got tore up bad by some sharp metal in the neighbours yard chasing a bird. So far the emergency trip to the vet and the xray and interior and exterior stitches were 1200. She has to have drains removed in a few days and stitches out in 2 weeks. Wondering if the pet insurance covers these types of things and who I should get it from. Thanks
Old 06-10-2013, 01:37 PM

I use Petsecure... The breeder made me get it before I pick up my Lab... Is about $65 a month... Saved me over $5000 when he hurt his leg and needed surgery... I can claim pretty much anything other than his regular check-ups

They have different options that you can choose from but I am more than happy with them and will have in on my next lab as well
Old 06-10-2013, 01:38 PM

Here check it out

http://bit.ly/16XEmCN

Old 06-10-2013, 02:47 PM
Banned

Default Nutbars

Quote:
Originally Posted by loyaleddie View Post
Here check it out

http://bit.ly/16XEmCN

Well aren't you a smart guy! I was looking for people's opinions and experiences. Sorry for the confusion! Next time ill write can some bored nut bar show me how to write pet insurance rates in Alberta into google
Old 06-10-2013, 03:30 PM

I use Petsecure also. You can go online and get a quote to see what your dog will cost. The insurance will not cover any pre-existing conditions. I took my bulldog in when he was a pup so there were no issues. I pay around $70/month but Bulldogs are known to have health issues so they are a little higher. I dont have the top package but the next one down. It covers $5000 per year per illness. The premium wont go up with age but the deductible does. The deductible is $300 but you only pay that once per year if you use it (1st claim they reimburse you 80% less the $300, 2nd claim and so forth you get paid 80%).

I would definitely recommend getting pet insurance if you can afford it. Vet bills are very expensive.
Old 06-10-2013, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burglecut83 View Post
Well aren't you a smart guy! I was looking for people's opinions and experiences. Sorry for the confusion! Next time ill write can some bored nut bar show me how to write pet insurance rates in Alberta into google
Welcome to the Internet my friend!
Old 06-10-2013, 07:06 PM

Quote:
wow a proud jerk off! I Guess, takes all kinds to make a world. obviously you have nothing to add to this thread I doubt you even have pet insurance. Have a good day and dont forget to GFY
.... Wow ....
Old 06-10-2013, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbiddy View Post
I would definitely recommend getting pet insurance if you can afford it. Vet bills are very expensive.

So $70/month for say a 10 year life span puts you at $8400. A $300 deductible pretty much rules out any of the more likely trips to the vet (not including the routine visits that aren't covered anyway).

Maybe I'm out to lunch, but if you can afford $70/month, you can afford to eat a $5k bill (potentially) somewhere in the lifetime. Then again, I don't buy extended warranties either.

Last edited by megadodge; 06-10-2013 at 07:09 PM. Reason: typo
Old 06-10-2013, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stewie View Post
I use Petsecure... The breeder made me get it before I pick up my Lab... Is about $65 a month... Saved me over $5000 when he hurt his leg and needed surgery... I can claim pretty much anything other than his regular check-ups

They have different options that you can choose from but I am more than happy with them and will have in on my next lab as well
Did your dog being an active hunting dog effect your policy?
Old 06-10-2013, 07:18 PM

Responses such as this is as bad as the original comment and wont warm peoples hearts if you know what I mean!
Quote:
wow a proud jerk off! I Guess, takes all kinds to make a world. obviously you have nothing to add to this thread I doubt you even have pet insurance. Have a good day and dont forget to GFY
Someone a while back had asked the same questions, this was a response I had provided, my 1.5 cents worth.....

If Buying Pet Insurance, youre gambling that your pet is going to get sick, and the company is giving you insurance and gambling that your pet is not going to get sick, so really its who wins the gamble lol. My pup went thru hell last year and $6k later, yep I wished I had insurance. 35 years of having dogs, first vet bill over $200. odds were stacked lol. I believe it is a pay now or pay later, if you took the same premium and committed to a auto deposit of $60 a month and put it in a savings account, the money would be there if needed, dont use it, its yours, if you need it, its there. $60 x 12x 12= $8640. Gamble is having enough savings to pay if needed early on.

Myself personally, have never bought insurance although seriously considering it for the first time on my female as she is a dragon breather and gives me fits regularly and would sell her soul for a bird, just an accident waiting to happen. only thing holding me back is getting clarity as to what is covered, what isnt, having a working dog, not all covered and try getting it in print or having to talk to supervisors to get a question answered. On a dog forum i regularly visit, two extremes, either a great experience with insurance company or hellish experience in claims not being covered. I personally came to conclusion I started my own fund with a deposit every two weeks. dont use it by the time they are old , well I have my money saved for my new pup and goodies.

just google, not allot of options in Canada for pet insurance, fill out one form then sent to all companies, you receive your quotes and premiums, then figure out if it covers your needs. inclusions and exclusions are not overly clear and not always in print as I have asked but..................

just my take, sure lots of people here have had great experiences, be great to hear them. being your dog is a working breed, make sure understand the exclusions/ inclusions.
Old 06-10-2013, 07:44 PM

Two TPLO surgeries and an emergency trip for a blockage with my dog passing large amounts of blood and I wished I had pet insurance. Over 10K in vet bills the past 6 years, but our lab is part of our family and we spent what we had to.

With petsecure your deductible is yearly, not per visit, so each trip to the vet for non-routine visits are applied against it.

Have insurance now, and probably won't get to use it given all the trips to the vet we've already made, but the security of knowing we won't have to come up with a 5-6K payment is worth it.
Old 06-10-2013, 07:45 PM
Banned

Default Signed up

Thanks for the replies shes signed up to petsecure now. I took the third option out of 4. 60 a month.
Old 06-11-2013, 07:13 AM

Quote:
Thanks for the replies shes signed up to petsecure now. I took the third option out of 4. 60 a month.
Good for you. If you need it, it's there, if you don't, after 8 years you may curse yourself for spending the money.

Be happy if you end up cursing yourself

Anyone that can afford to self-insure (ie. keep 10 grand in your bank account for pet emergencies) is in a better pay-grade than I am. Insurance is just that..insurance, not a savings plan, but something thats there that you hope you never need to use.

I've had three policies on three seperate dogs. The first two I had almost zero claims. Now the new brat seems to carry puppy enthusiasm to a whole new level. In the first 4 months(after we got the policy) we racked up over 1200.00 in claims and at least we are recovering 80%. If we had taken him to the Emerg Vet clinic it would have been over 4,000.00 but my vet is open late and on weekend.

Even these problems were very small considering what vet bills can be for field injuries etc. and the monster claims are why I have ins....just in case.

It also depends on how you value your dog. Is it just a tool or livestock to you or is it part of your family.

.......I can't afford that, put him down. You never need to make that decission if you have insurance......

Last edited by ACKLEY ABE; 06-11-2013 at 07:18 AM. Reason: addition
Old 06-11-2013, 08:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Versatile View Post
Did your dog being an active hunting dog effect your policy?
Not for hunting but him being a lab and considered an "active" breed raised it a little... But I did have other options for coverage on him
Old 06-11-2013, 08:32 AM

I went with presidents choice for my lab. 56 bucks a month, 100.00 dollar annual deductible. I made sure that it covers him while hunting, apparently some options do not.
Haven't had to make a claim yet, but my last dog cost me a lot of money.
This one pays 80% up to the annual limit, which is 5,000 per accident per year, or I think it was 10k per illness per year.
They also will pay for me to come home early from vacation if my dog gets hurt while I am away, pays for advertising if he is lost, and covers the cost of putting him down if or when it ever becomes necessary.
I thought it was a pretty comprehensive package.
Now, just like any other insurance, sit back and hope you pay forever and never make a claim!