Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 02-09-2016, 10:59 AM

Default Helpful Survival tips

I noticed a thread asking about survival camping and I thought no one has created a thread offering survival tips. So If you have any tips please share so others may learn some tricks that might eventually save them.

Thank you for participating.
It is when you walk alone in nature that you discover your strengths and weaknesses. ~ Red Bullets

Last edited by Red Bullets; 02-09-2016 at 11:14 AM.
Old 02-09-2016, 11:05 AM

My first tip is for finding direction in the northern hemisphere.

At night time as long as you can see one star in the sky you can find your direction. Doesn't matter which star either. Put two sticks into the ground and line up the stick tips with the star. Wait about 10 to 15 minutes and see where the star is in relation to the stick tips.

If the star moved up you are facing east.
If the star moved down you are facing west.
If the star moves to the left you are facing north.
If the star moves right you are facing south.

This is based on the fact that stars rise and set just like the sun.

I was really amazed that Survivorman, Les , didn't know this trick when he was lost in the jungle.
It is when you walk alone in nature that you discover your strengths and weaknesses. ~ Red Bullets
Old 02-09-2016, 11:12 AM

If you are desperate for food or bait....

The Goldenrod plant is native to Alberta. If you see a goldenrod plant with a 'bulge' in the stem like in the picture, open up the 'bulge' and there will be a little maggot sized larvae in the bulge. Good fat source or bait for fishing.

Other plants may have similar 'bulges' which most likely will have a grub too.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg goldenrod1.jpg (39.0 KB, 99 views)
File Type: jpg goldenrod.jpg (71.8 KB, 85 views)
Old 02-09-2016, 11:23 AM

Default How to Make an Ojibwe Bird Snare

When I was in scouts this is one of the things we learned how to make for survival, lots of birds around to eat.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VoEaPmLm260

Never had to use it in the wild, looks like it would work
Old 02-09-2016, 12:24 PM

Being lost, or "geographically compromised" as I now like to put it, is one of those primal fears that cause a fight or flight reflex. Controlling your emotions is one of the most important aspects of a survival situation.
Old 02-09-2016, 01:09 PM

My tip, and the one I follow religiously is to never leave home without a knife of some kind, and a lighter.
With a knife and a fire, and some know how, one can survive practically anywhere there are trees.

There are many other things that could and would help in a survival situation, but at least with these two you should have a shot at staying alive.
Old 02-09-2016, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elkaholic338 View Post
My tip, and the one I follow religiously is to never leave home without a knife of some kind, and a lighter.
With a knife and a fire, and some know how, one can survive practically anywhere there are trees.

There are many other things that could and would help in a survival situation, but at least with these two you should have a shot at staying alive.
Yep, knife, lighter, and compass in my pocket at all times every time I go in the bush. The biggest thing is to use the compass before you get lost, the compass is no good if you have no idea where you've come from, even if you have a general idea of the lay of the land but things are oriented slightly different than you thought it can throw you for a loop. Check the compass regularly.
Old 02-09-2016, 03:24 PM

Basic survival kit in your backpack, including a fire starter kit, small hatchet and some rope plus chocolate bars doesn't take much space. Not likely to spend more than one night out.

Grizz
Old 02-09-2016, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Bullets View Post
My first tip is for finding direction in the northern hemisphere.

At night time as long as you can see one star in the sky you can find your direction. Doesn't matter which star either. Put two sticks into the ground and line up the stick tips with the star. Wait about 10 to 15 minutes and see where the star is in relation to the stick tips.

I was really amazed that Survivorman, Les , didn't know this trick when he was lost in the jungle.
Great tip, will try it next time i'm out at night away from the city.

Always wondered as I love seeing the moon, especially when full but it doesn't seem to track like the sun. So when there is a moon out, does the moon follow the same path as the sun, rise in the east, set in the west and south about mid way?
Old 02-09-2016, 04:39 PM

Great tip if there is a clear sky! Useless if it's cloudy!!

QUOTE=Red Bullets;3137589]My first tip is for finding direction in the northern hemisphere.

At night time as long as you can see one star in the sky you can find your direction. Doesn't matter which star either. Put two sticks into the ground and lineup the stick tips with the star. Wait about 10 to 15 minutes and see where the star is in relation to the stick tips.

I was really amazed that Survivorman, Les , didn't know this trick when he was lost in the jungle.[/QUOTE]

-Confucius
Old 02-09-2016, 04:57 PM

What compasses do you guys like to use?
Old 02-09-2016, 04:59 PM

Default Lost

I always liked Daniel Boone's famous word

I wasn't lost i was just turned around for 4 days

Steve In GP

Old 02-09-2016, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badgoodguy View Post
I always liked Daniel Boone's famous word

I wasn't lost i was just turned around for 4 days
I use a saying something like that too. lol I tell my wife that I'm not lost, (I can always find my back to where I started) I just don't know the quickest way to where I want to go.
The kill is the satisfying, indeed essential, conclusion to a successful hunt. But, I take no pleasure in the act itself. One does not hunt in order to kill, but kills in order to have hunted. Then why do I hunt? I hunt for the same reason my well-fed cat hunts...because I must, because it is in the blood, because I am the decendent of a thousand generations of hunters. I hunt because I am a hunter.- Finn Aagard
Old 02-09-2016, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HowSwedeItIs View Post
Used to use a Silva Ranger, when I went to buy a replacement for one I'd used for decades I saw they are now made in China, so I went with a Finnish made Sunto compass instead. I can use a cheap little compass if all I want to do is shoot a backbearing, but for orienteering, shooting a bearing to follow or locating myself with triangulation I need a compass with a mirror, adjustable declination, and luminous orienteering points. I've had GPS's fail too often to forget how to use a compass.
Old 02-09-2016, 08:06 PM

Handfull of dead spruce twigs will light with one match, even when wet. Make your own tinder and kindling from shavings of dead spruce. Carry 2 or 3 ways to light a fire and learn a few different fire lays.
Old 02-09-2016, 08:09 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elkaholic338 View Post

Best survival tip of them all. Knife and fire. Every time Dad would hear about me going into the bush for a hike or whatever. First thing he'd say was "I hope you remembered to bring a good knife." (Dad was a smoker so always had fire with him as a matter of course)
Old 02-09-2016, 08:12 PM
Banned

Pine needle tea is great for vitamin C almost ten times the amount in tea than an orange

Also has vitamin A
And a great decongestant
Hand sanitizer when cold

This brew would have helped out the great explorers traveling our oceans back in the day
Old 02-09-2016, 08:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ^v^Tinda wolf^v^ View Post
This brew would have helped out the great explorers traveling our oceans back in the day
Captain Cook sailed with a hold full of sour kraut and his crew didn't suffer scurvy. There is a cook book by cook and his cook.

careful with pine if making a fire as the smoke can give you pine fever. a good starter fuel but best topped with other woods.

I think porcupine is the only easily killed animal and having a meat that can be eaten raw with little chance of parasite.

I have a jar of peanuts in my trunk, a blowtorch, knife and first aid kit.
Old 02-09-2016, 09:50 PM

Space blanket, knife, flint, rope, duct tape, tensor bandage are always with me. If I was going out for a few days, I'd have one form or other of water purifier, but for day hunts, I have a 2l wineskin (can squeeze the air out so it doesn't slosh while stalking).

When good and lost, head downstream. Eventually, you'll reach civilization.
Old 02-09-2016, 09:59 PM

Default survival tip

Before you go- tell someone reliable where you are going and when you'll be back - so if something goes wrong you know people will be looking for you.
Old 02-09-2016, 10:01 PM

I am worried I may not survive AO tonight!!! Just because you are paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you!! Run schmucks!!! Run!!
Old 02-09-2016, 10:19 PM

Thanks for posted. I was thinking a little more survival style tips that don't include space blankets, chocolate bars. But I now realize everyone has their idea of what survival is.

Tip...
During winter.... if you are hiking in mixed woods in central or northern alberta be alert to the smell of stinky feet or dirty socks. If you smell this there are highbush cranberries close by. They are on the tree all winter and are great nutritionally, to freshen the mouth and help hydrate a person. Rose hips stay on the bush all winter too. Both berries are better after they get frost or snow on them..
Old 02-09-2016, 10:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Bullets View Post
Thanks for posted. I was thinking a little more survival style tips that don't include space blankets, chocolate bars. But I now realize everyone has their idea of what survival is.

Tip...
During winter.... if you are hiking in mixed woods in central or northern alberta be alert to the smell of stinky feet or dirty socks. If you smell this there are highbush cranberries close by. They are on the tree all winter and are great nutritionally, to freshen the mouth and help hydrate a person. Rose hips stay on the bush all winter too. Both berries are better after they get frost or snow on them..
went for a drive and a walk today and saw rose hips, but you know what else I saw????

bees, lots and lots of bees.

I wish their dance had some meaning related to fishing.
Old 02-09-2016, 10:34 PM

Another tip for finding your bearing, may not always work in some areas but tree branches, especially those of tall aspen will often grow noticeably longer on the south facing side of the tree.
Old 02-09-2016, 10:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tamarck View Post
Before you go- tell someone reliable where you are going and when you'll be back - so if something goes wrong you know people will be looking for you.
This^^^^^
Old 02-09-2016, 11:48 PM

map and compass, knife big enough to cut and baton firewood, at least two ways to start a fire. If you are dressed properly that will keep you overnight and you should be able to find your way back to a road.

The only time I ever felt lost was years ago cutting down a Christmas tree with my 4 year old son, in December. It was getting dark and I somehow got turned around (no compass or map). But we were dressed warmly and I had an axe and a couple ways to start a fire so I really wasn't concerned at all except my wife would be freaking out. Was able to trace our way back in the end so no biggie.
Old 02-10-2016, 12:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crankbait View Post
Captain Cook sailed with a hold full of sour kraut and his crew didn't suffer scurvy. There is a cook book by cook and his cook.

careful with pine if making a fire as the smoke can give you pine fever. a good starter fuel but best topped with other woods.

I think porcupine is the only easily killed animal and having a meat that can be eaten raw with little chance of parasite.

I have a jar of peanuts in my trunk, a blowtorch, knife and first aid kit.
Pine fever? Never heard of such a thing. Please explain.
Old 02-10-2016, 12:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HowSwedeItIs View Post
I religiously use Silva compasses. I am sure there are many others but I had a faulty Brunton compass once that caused me a fair bit of grief, so now I stick to Silva.

I keep two, I have one of those bubble type that pins to my shirt pocket for making quick checks while I'm on the move, and a Silva with a base for use with topo maps. If the bubble one gets torn off my shirt by the underbrush (its happened) or if I doubt the reading of one compass I have the other.
Old 02-10-2016, 12:33 AM

A good fixed blade knife 3 to 6" will handle most tasks the woods can throw at you. Learn to use a ferro (ferrocerium) rod, this will be your most reliable fire starting method in all weather conditions. They work when wet even in freezing temperatures and there is no fuel you have to worry about evaporating. Your knife and ferro rod should be on your person at all times, not in a back pack.

Cotton balls rubbed with petroleum jelly or chapstick make excellent tinder that catches a spark almost instantly. Birch bark burns very well even when wet, small shavings also catch a spark well.

The biggest thing I noticed on any survival course is to stop, collect yourself, do an inventory of your items and surroundings then make a game plan.

"The problem was this little thing called the government and laws."
Old 02-10-2016, 12:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by norwestalta View Post
Pine fever? Never heard of such a thing. Please explain.
the burning of stickier sappy wood, bad for lungs, worse than most smoke off a fire from other fuels. could be an old wives tale but better safe than sorry.