Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 09-04-2019, 05:13 PM

Default Would like some input ..264 Woodleigh 160 RN cor separation

Weird thing happenened today. I was at my range shooting my 6,5 Swede at a bear sillouette with a 8" dia 3/16 steel plate mounted on the shoulder area. Distance was 280 yds, MV 2735 , terminal Vel would be about 1850 fps.
What I found when examining the target was a bullet jacket resting neatly in the hole of the plate, completely inside out. Both ends of the jacket were severed and gone, but the Copper was on the inside and the silver colored ( looks like solder) bonding agent was on the outside.. again resting inside the hole in the plate. The length of what is remaing of the jacket is slightly longer than the width of the plate.

I cannot, for the life if me, figure how it did that. Any ideas ? I can't get pics up on here but i could text if you really want too see the jacket.
Old 09-04-2019, 06:11 PM

Default they"re

Cup + core bullets not armor piercing.I've run 160gr Hornady and 156gr Sako's through moose ,bear and deer with a 6.5x55 at 2400fps no problem .
Old 09-04-2019, 06:25 PM

Don't shoot armor plated animals, and you won't have a problem.
Old 09-04-2019, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pioneer2 View Post
Cup + core bullets not armor piercing.I've run 160gr Hornady and 156gr Sako's through moose ,bear and deer with a 6.5x55 at 2400fps no problem .
I'm pretty familiar with what they are intended for and how they work , just have never seen that type of separation before on any bullet.. cup & core ,or bonded.. If you have an idea on what may have caused it to act that way ,I would be pleased to hear from you.
Old 09-04-2019, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
Don't shoot armor plated animals, and you won't have a problem.
It's not really a problem Elk, just looking for some input that would help explain a jacket turning inside out while remaining stationary. Got anything helpfull?
Old 09-04-2019, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salavee View Post
It's not really a problem Elk, just looking for some input that would help explain a jacket turning inside out while remaining stationary. Got anything helpfull?
When shooting through steel, the hole is often slightly smaller than the bullet diameter, since the jacket is on the outside, it hung up on the steel, and was peeled back.
Old 09-04-2019, 06:59 PM

Default plate

I remember out at Emile of Many Guns a steel plate 1" thick or so being displayed having been shot with various calibers.The only one that went through was a 22-250 even the .375 H+H was stopped.I think the plate was responsible for the peeled jacket. This wouldn't happen in flesh with the same bullet IMO with this proven weight and caliber.Wasn't trying to come across as critical more analytical in thought.I'm fond of the 6.5x55
Old 09-04-2019, 08:45 PM

I ceratinly agree that the jacket had to have peeled back, much like turning a sock inside out. It was a bonded core bullet and I though it very unusual that both ends of the jacket were gone. Probably the front portion severed at,or near, the ogive. I can't explain the rear portion as only the center was left, resting nicely in the hole in the plate. That was unusual in itself, or a least I thought so. The .264 jacket was expanded to.278 with a couple of thou clearance on the hole.

We have shot lots of steel and never had that happen before, that we could see first hand anyway.
Old 09-04-2019, 09:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pioneer2 View Post
I remember out at Emile of Many Guns a steel plate 1" thick or so being displayed having been shot with various calibers.The only one that went through was a 22-250 even the .375 H+H was stopped.I think the plate was responsible for the peeled jacket. This wouldn't happen in flesh with the same bullet IMO with this proven weight and caliber.Wasn't trying to come across as critical more analytical in thought.I'm fond of the 6.5x55
I remember Emile Hermary very well. Quite a guy, I used to Chum around with his brother Andy.
As to the 6.5 X 55, how can one help but love it? I was just getting the 160 RN Woodleighs going with RL26. Just the one core separated out of about a dozen, that I know of anyway. They all punched right through the 3/16 plate like it was butter. Appreciated your input.
Old 09-05-2019, 08:03 PM

Default 160gr

My load/moose drill is either 42grs of IMR 4350 or N204 and a 156-160gr RN.Never tried RE#22 with these bullets but it works best in 129-140gr.
Old 09-05-2019, 10:07 PM

im using H4831sc with the 160 woodleighs. Shooting in the mid 2600's with a modern action and a Ron Smith barrel. Thats good for me
"This year will go down in history. For the first time, a civilized nation has full gun registration. Our streets will be safer, our police more efficient, and the world will follow our lead into the future!" 1935-Adolf Hitler