Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 05-18-2016, 12:08 PM

Default Brake Concussion Deflector

Fish-e-o is working on a design with this basic concept which I whipped up today. 1/4" plexi will be siliconed in bottom void. This is very light and portable...this frame from 1/2" plywood. Pic views are from adjacent shooting positions. Critique - be gentle

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 05-18-2016, 12:22 PM
Banned

have you tried it?
Old 05-18-2016, 12:31 PM

Just ordered the plexi.
Old 05-18-2016, 12:39 PM

Looking forward to test results, and I appreciate the fact that you are following up on this.
Old 05-18-2016, 12:41 PM

I have every confidence that this is going to be a huge improvement over the current situations. Brakes are becoming more and more popular as old age fat guys (like myself), indulge their "Inner Rambo" via AR rifles. I would still restrict braked rifles to the main range.. I would guess that the last six trips I have made to the range, there have been people with braked rifles of one variety or another, so the issue is not going away.

Good work 260 and Executive.

Last edited by sns2; 05-18-2016 at 12:50 PM.
Old 05-18-2016, 12:47 PM
Banned

that's the one i whipped up quick from some oak and scrap steel (yes it's quick and dirty)

it's slotted all the way around and the plexi drops in from the top so if it get's dinged up and needs to be replaced you can just slide it back out the top.

going forward i think you just need the arms and drill the plexi to match so no frame is needed and you can just bolt it up. (hindsight is 20-20)
Old 05-18-2016, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fish_e_o View Post

that's the one i whipped up quick from some oak and scrap steel (yes it's quick and dirty)

it's slotted all the way around and the plexi drops in from the top so if it get's dinged up and needs to be replaced you can just slide it back out the top.

going forward i think you just need the arms and drill the plexi to match so no frame is needed and you can just bolt it up. (hindsight is 20-20)
That is the frame design I was thinking of also.
Old 05-18-2016, 02:24 PM

Much nicer than my plywood ... Looks lighter and the workmanship is well, better than mine. Will talk with you about the plexi sans frame design this evening ...
Old 05-18-2016, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 260 Rem View Post
Fish-e-o is working on a design with this basic concept which I whipped up today. 1/4" plexi will be siliconed in bottom void. This is very light and portable...this frame from 1/2" plywood. Pic views are from adjacent shooting positions. Critique - be gentle

One thought that occurs to me is that on a longer barreled rifle the barrel end is past the front of the range structure, so some permanently installed baffles, about 10 to 12 inches wide on the front of those posts might be a big help in directing sound downrange and not out to the sides.

other than that, the setup looks great and should be a big help in noise reduction.

great on you guys for being proactive and considerate of your fellow shooters.
Old 05-18-2016, 03:56 PM

Elk338- we can't go forward as there is a Cease Fire curtain that drops down about a foot in front of the firing line.
Old 05-20-2016, 05:33 PM

Well, here is the first version (V.1) with plexi installed...view from adjacent bench shooting positions. The V.2 model will be "all steel frame". Got to see how these handle wind. Fabrication by Fish-e-o.

Old 05-20-2016, 05:39 PM

Why the frame at all? why not just Plexiglas with the two top hooks?
Old 05-20-2016, 05:42 PM

I really like where you are going with that, and applaud your efforts to follow through with it. I can see this or something like it becoming a useful addition at every range. tC

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone
Old 05-20-2016, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by double gun View Post
Why the frame at all? why not just Plexiglas with the two top hooks?
Plexi has sharp edges, might break out / crack at attachment points / needs some weight to buck wind / system must have enough rigidity to reduce sway towards adjacent benches in windy conditions....well, that's what the engineer from R & D says. Those guys think of everything.
Remember, this is portable, not fixed into position.
Old 05-20-2016, 06:11 PM

I am following this closely.
I am leaning towards the plexiglass might make it worse.

Let's hope you found a good cheap viable solution.
Old 05-20-2016, 06:32 PM

I agree that some weight is needed to keep the plexiglass from swinging in the wind, or even from the concussion wave itself. As far as the plexiglass making things worse for the adjoining benches, I don't see why. If it deflects some noise and wind back at the shooter, well he is the one producing the noise and the concussion wave, so better that he has to deal with it than someone else.
In any case, I believe that this project will be a significant benefit to the shooters, so thank you for following through with this.
Old 05-20-2016, 06:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctd View Post
I am following this closely.
I am leaning towards the plexiglass might make it worse.
Let's hope you found a good cheap viable solution.
The plexi should interrupt the wave sufficiently to make it highly unlikely an adjacent shooter will lose their hat or have equipment move on their bench. Remember, this is not about reducing sound, that is what ear buds inside muffs mitigate. The V.2 versions will have the 1/4" plexi, but the frame slots will be large enough to substitute two sheets of 1/8" if we decide there would be benefit from further reducing conductive wave transfer.
Old 05-20-2016, 07:47 PM

I think the idea looks great. Just not sure how well it would work with 30"+ barrels as they would be sticking out in front of the bench quite a bit.
Old 05-20-2016, 07:54 PM

I forget which plastic place in Edmonton, but I have a piece of some sort of plexi type material, but it's 1/2" thick and they had a piece in the back that was offered to customers to try and break with a sledge hammer. (You couldn't)

I bought it as a shield for our hydraulic press, but it never was put into use.

It's super tough, has some weight and yet easily machined with normal wood working tools. You could easily run a round over bit around the edges.

But that's just my $0.02 - I like the simplest designs.
Old 05-20-2016, 08:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokinyotes View Post
I think the idea looks great. Just not sure how well it would work with 30"+ barrels as they would be sticking out in front of the bench quite a bit.
Tried the long barrels while doing the design specs and long barrels are OK.
Old 05-20-2016, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by double gun View Post
I forget which plastic place in Edmonton, but I have a piece of some sort of plexi type material, but it's 1/2" thick and they had a piece in the back that was offered to customers to try and break with a sledge hammer. (You couldn't)
I bought it as a shield for our hydraulic press, but it never was put into use.
It's super tough, has some weight and yet easily machined with normal wood working tools. You could easily run a round over bit around the edges.
But that's just my $0.02 - I like the simplest designs.
I think that is the same stuff used in hockey rinks ... expensive. And possibly too heavy for portable applications. No doubt would be good for a permanent install.
Old 08-30-2016, 12:23 PM

Btt
Old 08-30-2016, 12:30 PM

Update on design ... Thanks to Fish-e-o two "new and improved" units are now hanging in the Big Bore shooting shed. We now have three deflector units in the Big Bore. I have observed them in use with a braked rifle and the compression wave actually causes the unit to swing a couple of inches. No doubt they work.

Last edited by 260 Rem; 08-30-2016 at 12:37 PM.
Old 08-30-2016, 12:45 PM

Very nicely done. I'm going to bring this up with our club execs and see if we can do something similar here. Can't say how much I appreciate someone taking the bull by the horns, and instead of just complaining does something positive to address and fix the problem. A real breath of fresh air, and you get a gold star by your name for your efforts, and keeping us posted. Kudos.

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone
Old 08-30-2016, 12:45 PM

Default Thats great!

I am glad you were able to come up with a solution. Hopefully it makes for some happy and accurate shooters.

You have inspire me to build some sort of a roof and walls for my private bench

Where is this range?
Old 08-30-2016, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by markg View Post
I am glad you were able to come up with a solution. Hopefully it makes for some happy and accurate shooters.

You have inspire me to build some sort of a roof and walls for my private bench

Where is this range?
That there range looky like the Sherwood Park Fish and Game.
Old 08-30-2016, 05:16 PM

Yes, SPFGA. The frame is made from 1/8" X 1" flat bar. 1/4" clear plexi is secured with silicone. Frames need to be painted with high visibility color as without, it is darned hard to see. Total weight is about 10 lbs so pretty maneagable to move between positions.
In the second picture you can see a towel I draped over the plexi so I could use it as a brass catcher for that M1 carbine. If we decide to multi-purpose them, it will be easy to cover the top half of the plexi with the same type of mesh we use for brass blockers which would add less than a pound to the unit.
Old 08-30-2016, 09:06 PM

Thanks for your efforts, 260. The deflectors are appreciated. I can vouch firsthand that they do work. I was shooting a 338 RUM, both with and without brake, and there was a guy at the bench next next to me. I warned him what I was shooting. He didn't feel it was a big deal and did not seem at all to be unduly disturbed. I am guessing my rifle was about as loud as any that are shot out there. BTW, I sold the rifle right afterward. Dang thing kicked something fierce. Thought it was a good chance I'd get scoped in the field
Old 08-30-2016, 09:30 PM

looks good,
Old 08-30-2016, 09:36 PM

Good job, much appreciated.