Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 06-04-2013, 09:46 AM

Default Why a 10/22?

Ok, I need to ask the question... What is the appeal of a 10/22? I had one... Worst shooting POS I've ever owned. Tried many types of ammo, and all the torquing/cleaning etc tips that I could find. Best I could get was an ok grouping with it. In all fairness, it wasn't a target model, but it was by far the worst shooting rifle I've ever owned. Bad enough to turn me off the Ruger brand. I understand that you can buy all kinds of upgrades for them, but at the end of the day, you still have a Ruger 10/22. Kind of like hot rodding a VW. Sorry if this offends anyone, but I'm honestly just trying to understand. The people that have them seem to love them, and recommend them to their friends. I want to know what I'm missing is all.
Old 06-04-2013, 09:49 AM

Dunno what to say man, I love mine and for a semi auto its pretty accurate. Now if you wanna shoot a real pos try out a mossberg 702 plinkster

Maybe someone fooled you and sold you a 702 under the guise as a 10/22
Old 06-04-2013, 09:51 AM

ruger 10/22....???? never heard/seen one just kidding....

I have a Browning BuckMark rifle - and love it

10/22 - is a base for a lot of customization, it`s a money pit )))
Old 06-04-2013, 09:54 AM

You might have had a lemon, or maybe you just didn't find the right ammo for it.

It's the ultimate customizable 22 rifle. If you're in to customization, there is nothing else that comes close.
Old 06-04-2013, 09:59 AM
Banned

My 10/22 is for fun.

My Anshutz is for serious stuff.
Old 06-04-2013, 10:17 AM

I love my 10/22 because simply put, it is fun to shoot. It's not all that accurate, but it's "minute of gopher" out to about 75 yards or so. That's good enough for me and what it was designed for.
Old 06-04-2013, 10:23 AM

I have had some unreliable 10/22s. I have also had some that were VERY inaccurate. They lack sling studs. Only one action screw, barrel band, crescent butt plate, stock designed for a child, not an adult. They are not very good out of the box.

Their appeal is that they are the 'Barbie doll' of the rimfire world. There are so many accessories for them and guys just love the dress them up.

There are far superior factory options available if you just plan to shoot it as you buy it.

I have had great luck with the Remington 597. They were pretty poor at first but recent production has ironed out all the bugs. They are accurate and reliable.

The Marlin 60 is just about the perfect rimfire as-is. It's also outsold the 10/22 3:1 and is the best selling rimfire rifle of all time. It is supremely reliable and wonderfully accurate. It might take someone without much experience with tube magazines a bit of acclamation in order to learn how to load them quickly and efficiently in the field. Once you have this skill, it is a far superior magazine, in my experience.

See also:
http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=180728
Old 06-04-2013, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wanted View Post
Ok, I need to ask the question... What is the appeal of a 10/22? I had one... Worst shooting POS I've ever owned. Tried many types of ammo, and all the torquing/cleaning etc tips that I could find. Best I could get was an ok grouping with it. In all fairness, it wasn't a target model, but it was by far the worst shooting rifle I've ever owned. Bad enough to turn me off the Ruger brand. I understand that you can buy all kinds of upgrades for them, but at the end of the day, you still have a Ruger 10/22. Kind of like hot rodding a VW. Sorry if this offends anyone, but I'm honestly just trying to understand. The people that have them seem to love them, and recommend them to their friends. I want to know what I'm missing is all.
Bought one for son because he thought it was cool. Never expected it to be much of a shooter. Bought myself an elegant and much more accurate CZ (for a lot more $). But the 10/22 is a cool looking, handy little gun and as you noted I imagine one big draw is the mass of upgrades available simply due to it's popularity, regardless of quality. In that regard it's sort of the same as a Remington 700
Old 06-04-2013, 10:42 AM

I am looking at getting one as a first rifle; I am completely new to firearms so I still have a lot to learn. It appeals me as a user friendly first rifle that functions well with all sorts of brands of 22lr rounds. Also I like the customization of it so I can change it for a "target" rifle or something with a more tactical look down the road.
Old 06-04-2013, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by savage shooter View Post
... They lack sling studs. Only one action screw, barrel band, crescent butt plate, stock designed for a child, not an adult. They are not very good out of the box.

Their appeal is that they are the 'Barbie doll' of the rimfire world. There are so many accessories for them and guys just love the dress them up.

There are far superior factory options available if you just plan to shoot it as you buy it.

I have had great luck with the Remington 597...
x2 I have never owned a 10/22 but I have shot a few that friends own. When it came time to buy myself a 22 semi I went with the 597, couldn't get over how the 10/22 felt like a toy, not a rifle.

I now have 3 597's in my safe, there are just enough after market add-ons to make them fun to customize, if you want to. My 597's have always been reliable and plenty accurate for what we do with them (plink and blast gophers).

To the OP I agree, I dont see the appeal either!

Some 597 pics:

Last edited by FallAirFever; 06-04-2013 at 10:52 AM.
Old 06-04-2013, 10:55 AM

Also, the 10/22 doesn't have a last shot hold open and that stupid little rocking mechanism used to lock the bolt back is a huge pain in the but compared to the competition's offerings.

The magazine release was originally designed so that you grabbed the front of the magazine (where in indent is) with one finger and then pressed up on the release with the other finger. now, they've changed that to a lever so people press the lever and expect the magazine to fall out. Sometimes it does, sometimes it doesn't.

All in all, it's a bone headed design that's far behind its competition yet remains popular because of its customizability.
Old 06-04-2013, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greylynx View Post
My 10/22 is for fun.

My Anshutz is for serious stuff.
X2
I also have a Marlin in 22 mag that shoots as good as my Anshutz!
Old 06-04-2013, 11:29 AM

I love my 10/22, but it has a custom barrel on it. It will shoot right along side most of the higher end guns. It's the most reliable semi rimfire I've seen in the field, even though I see it called a boneheaded design.

I agree in it's stock form I wouldn't have kept it long. With the hogue stock, tuned trigger, and VQ barrel she's a sweet shooter for chickens, and gophers. Also very light, and handy.
Old 06-04-2013, 11:52 AM

My "T" is plenty accurate

My son's ultralight that worked when he was smaller, morphed into a standard stainless when I bought someones cast offs for a song. that too is minute of gopher.

Nothing beats a semi in a high pop gopher field.

Un-reliability usually comes from the big mags, really dirty or not being worn in yet.

For a plinker gopher getter Fun/$ is hard to beat with a 10/22.
Old 06-04-2013, 11:58 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

My 10/22 shoots crappy Federal bulk ammo all into a ragged nickel size hole at 40 yards, bench rested of course. I guess I am one of the lucky ones and man can I reek havoc with two Butler creek 25 round mags attached to each other...accuracy then well is a little all over the Zombie targets...fun.
Old 06-04-2013, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Also, the 10/22 doesn't have a last shot hold open and that stupid little rocking mechanism used to lock the bolt back is a huge pain in the but compared to the competition's offerings.

The magazine release was originally designed so that you grabbed the front of the magazine (where in indent is) with one finger and then pressed up on the release with the other finger. now, they've changed that to a lever so people press the lever and expect the magazine to fall out. Sometimes it does, sometimes it doesn't.

All in all, it's a bone headed design that's far behind its competition yet remains popular because of its customizability.
30 seconds with a dremel will fix the lock-open mechanism.
Old 06-04-2013, 02:06 PM

Location: 3rd rock from the sun, formerly from 4th rock from the sun
Smile

I've had mine for almost 30 years now and have never had a problem with it and it has been very very well used
If you want a target rifle then spend the $500.00 plus to get one, if you want a great utility 22 for a good price then a 10-22 is a great choice imo
Old 06-04-2013, 02:13 PM

I like my takedown 10/22 for what it is, a fun plinker. It will shoot minute of beer can@ 50yds no problem, though I have put better sights and trigger on it. (I can't stand plastic trigger groups).

People are scalping them on CGN for $100 over retail which is crazy, but people are willing to pay it, it seems.
Old 06-04-2013, 02:19 PM

Quote:
if you want a great utility 22 for a good price then a 10-22 is a great choice imo
It's really not. For $150 you can get a Marlin 60 which is more accurate and more reliable in my experience. Last shot hold open, easy bolt release, sling swivel studs, two action screws, no barrel band. THAT's a great utility 22. Hell, you can get a Remington 597 scoped for $200 which is also more accurate and just as reliable. Last shot hold open, pull back on bolt to release it.

How much is a 10/22 again?
Old 06-04-2013, 02:28 PM

Quote:

The Marlin 60 is just about the perfect rimfire as-is
See also:
http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=180728
I'd have to agree. If the goal is a basic utility rimfire and you ARE NOT looking to mod/tacticool it, I just picked up 4x Marlin 795's (Groomsmen presents) they run $150, hold open, micro-groove and MARLIN. Stock feels a little too light for my taste but they serve the purpose I bought them for
Old 06-04-2013, 02:49 PM

I wouldn't buy a 10/22 for benchrest accuracy, I'd go with something bolt action. That said, mine is extremely reliable, and accurate as it needs to be for plinking. IMO an iron sighted semi-auto .22 doesn't need to be sub MOA to be a fun shooter.

As for better value in the Marlin or Remington, that's personal preference.
Old 06-04-2013, 03:14 PM

Red face

I have had my share of .22 rifles and there are definitely more accurate and better bargains then the Ruger 10-22. Especially these days when the 10-22 is in demand.

What can't be beat is the availability of after market accessories for the 10-22. You can do some wild things to make your 10-22 personal.

Question is, what aspect of a rifle is most important to you- value? quality? customization? accuracy? fit? style? etcetera...

-Willy
Old 06-04-2013, 05:04 PM

SHEER FUN ...... especially considering the cost of .22 ammo and the availability of 25 shot banana clips !!
Old 06-04-2013, 08:52 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by FallAirFever View Post
x2 I have never owned a 10/22 but I have shot a few that friends own. When it came time to buy myself a 22 semi I went with the 597, couldn't get over how the 10/22 felt like a toy, not a rifle.

I now have 3 597's in my safe, there are just enough after market add-ons to make them fun to customize, if you want to. My 597's have always been reliable and plenty accurate for what we do with them (plink and blast gophers).

To the OP I agree, I dont see the appeal either!

Some 597 pics:

I love your tiger stripe rifle. Awesome paint scheme.
Old 06-04-2013, 09:03 PM

10 22 I've had a few ... they're okay, but a hot rod VW! now there is something I would love to have

just a VW pffft
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 885174_f520.jpg (23.1 KB, 15 views)
Old 06-04-2013, 10:24 PM

10/22 is a fun rifle and with customizing they can be accurate. I agree you should not have to modify a factory rifle to make it shoot but if you enjoy doing it why not.

I shoot gophers with a friend who has a 597 and we have some good debates about bolt hold open ability versus mag capacity.
Old 06-05-2013, 12:09 AM
Banned

Must have got one made after a long weekend.

Mine shoots is reliabale and shoots as accuratley as any other 22 in gthat price range.
Its an off the shelf all weather and the only thing I did was slip a buffer buddy into it and slap a scope on top.

Its packed full of fun.
Old 06-05-2013, 07:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FXSB View Post
10/22 is a fun rifle and with customizing they can be accurate. I agree you should not have to modify a factory rifle to make it shoot but if you enjoy doing it why not.

I shoot gophers with a friend who has a 597 and we have some good debates about bolt hold open ability versus mag capacity.
Just curious why do you guys argue about mag capacity you can get extended mags for both
Old 06-05-2013, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogslayer403 View Post
Just curious why do you guys argue about mag capacity you can get extended mags for both
Partly it is the fun of giving each other a hard time.

He also has had feeding issues with the large mags on the 597. Since he has been shooting it before extended mags came out he has a large number of shorter mags.
Old 06-05-2013, 04:43 PM

I have about 20 hours into customizing my 10/22.

The only money into it has been the cost for sandpaper, and some job weld. I have floated the barrel, removed the barrel band, glass bedded the action and barrel, lightened and polished the trigger. I also took a dremel to the bolt release latch plate to allow snapping a round into the chamber from the lock open position. The gun is nothing fancy and has seen 10's of thousands of rounds.

It will put 10 rounds into an inch all day at 50 yards which is all I really need it to do anyways. If I bought some match ammo or something better than bulk I'm sure it could do better but I can't be bothered.

Its also a huge advantage to have thousands of mods available and literature/YouTube videos for everything you could ever think to do to it.