Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 06-03-2013, 06:40 PM
Banned

Default Good .22lr round?

I just picked up a Stevens 300 in a 22lr. Any opinions on what I should be using through it? I know everyone has opinions on everything but I am very new to the whole fire arms thing.
Old 06-03-2013, 07:57 PM

Federal Champion 525 rd bulk packs for $22.99 at Cabela's is what I buy. There are tons of different manufacturers out there but these are cheap and it works for me.
Old 06-03-2013, 08:17 PM

Buy a box of everything you can get your hands on, shoot em and then use what groups best in your rifle.

Sorry but my crystal ball rolled off my desk on Friday, so I have no way of predicting what may shoot well in your rifle. Therefore back to basics!

There are no absolutes
Old 06-03-2013, 08:26 PM

I've had good luck with the Federal bulk pack already mentioned.
Old 06-03-2013, 09:41 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick284 View Post
Buy a box of everything you can get your hands on, shoot em and then use what groups best in your rifle.

Sorry but my crystal ball rolled off my desk on Friday, so I have no way of predicting what may shoot well in your rifle. Therefore back to basics!
I just thought that someone may have had some experience with this particular rifle. I picked up some American Eagle from Canadian Tire. Hopefully it will shoot well.

I'm in Calgary so Cabela's is out for Local but CT and Wholesale should be good.
Old 06-03-2013, 10:20 PM

Give CCI Blazer a "shot" as well. It is priced same as federal and I like it a lot better for my cooey 64b.
Old 06-03-2013, 10:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottmisfits View Post
I just thought that someone may have had some experience with this particular rifle. I picked up some American Eagle from Canadian Tire. Hopefully it will shoot well.
I'm in Calgary so Cabela's is out for Local but CT and Wholesale should be good.
My buddy just bought the same rifle as you last week from CambodianTire for his daughters to shoot. I told him to buy various brands of ammunition to shoot in the small 50 round packs to see what his rifle would like best. Part of the fun of the .22LR is that you can go shooting for cheap.

Try out the myriad of offerings from the different ammunition companies and get out there and enjoy your new rifle!
Old 06-04-2013, 12:42 AM

Try everything, starting with the cheap stuff particularly hollow points. I like Winchester bulk 333 (I believe it comes as 555 as well) for general purpose. Remington Sub-Sonic for longer range (drops more, but no trans-sonic instability) and a little quieter gopher killing (nice bullets, hits pretty hard). Yellow Jackets for a little more damage. Vipers for a little more zap without expansion. And one gun just doesn't care to operate unless it's with CCI.

Survivor of the dread covid
Pureblood!
Old 06-04-2013, 04:51 AM

From my own personal experience, CCI seems to make the most consistent rimfire ammo.
Old 06-04-2013, 07:01 AM

Yellow jacket or CCI stingers have grouped well for me and are effect to 130 yrds with the right rifle for gophers.
Old 06-04-2013, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottmisfits View Post
I just thought that someone may have had some experience with this particular rifle.
Unfortunately, it doesn't work that way. Except for major things like cartridge overall length or bullet shape being a factor in feeding.

Accuracy has more to do with the particular barrel that your rifle has on it, right down to the microscopic scratches left on it from the factory tooling. It's pretty much random. The good news is that Savage/Stevens barrels all tend to be pretty good overall, but you've got a lot of testing ahead to determine which ammunition performs "best".

That being said, I'll be surprised if anyone here recommends any Remington bulk pack.
Old 06-04-2013, 06:32 PM

Some reading for you: http://www.accurateshooter.com/guns-...mparison-test/

I settled into the CCI Standard velocity out of the Anschutz. Reasonable accuracy and price...

Old 06-04-2013, 07:16 PM

I like the subsonic ammo.
Old 06-04-2013, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by west250 View Post

I settled into the CCI Standard velocity out of the Anschutz. Reasonable accuracy and price...

x2, beat me to it west250

http://www.canadianconstitutionfoundation.ca/donate.php

If you need their help.

http://www.canadianconstitutionfoundation.ca/case.php
Old 06-04-2013, 08:30 PM
Banned

Thanks for the helpful suggestions guys. Trying to learn all about this is proving more than I hought, but also proving to be very interesting. I'm ery excitedd to be able to go out and shoot this thing. So is my son.
Old 06-05-2013, 10:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by west250 View Post

interesting chart , my gun seemed to confirm the champion was more accurate than american eagle . At least for me today in my 10/22
Old 06-06-2013, 05:57 AM

Ever shoot your 22lr through a chronograph? I've noticed that the cheaper ammo can vary as much as 100 fps. That's enough to throw your point of impact off by a few inches at 50-75 yds. I've found that the more expensive stuff (I like to use Remington Yellow Jacket) delivers more consistant velocity/accuracy. It also cycles better in a semi-auto. When I switch ammo, I also have to adjust my scope. Look for advertised m.v. of 1500 or more.
Old 06-06-2013, 07:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunluvr View Post
Ever shoot your 22lr through a chronograph? I've noticed that the cheaper ammo can vary as much as 100 fps. That's enough to throw your point of impact off by a few inches at 50-75 yds. I've found that the more expensive stuff (I like to use Remington Yellow Jacket) delivers more consistant velocity/accuracy. It also cycles better in a semi-auto. When I switch ammo, I also have to adjust my scope. Look for advertised m.v. of 1500 or more.
I agree with this as well . Yellow Jacket was most accurate yesterday in my 10|22
Old 06-06-2013, 09:07 AM

What are you doing? Target? Gophers?
Old 06-06-2013, 11:08 AM

For bulk/ "cheap" 22LR ammo I go for CCI Blazers every time. If I am shooting to kill I use CCI Stingers. Both group under an inch at 50yrds (10 round groups) and have no fail to fire or ejects which in a semi auto is something to consider.
Old 06-06-2013, 06:28 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metalmike123 View Post
What are you doing? Target? Gophers?
Yep.
Old 06-07-2013, 04:51 PM

well I learned today that segmented CCI is devastating on gophers , better than yellow jacket but not as accurate for me
Old 06-07-2013, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by I.R.Chevy View Post
For bulk/ "cheap" 22LR ammo I go for CCI Blazers every time. If I am shooting to kill I use CCI Stingers. Both group under an inch at 50yrds (10 round groups) and have no fail to fire or ejects which in a semi auto is something to consider.
But you don't realize Stinger's will not chamber in every firearm!
My CZ 452, won't take em, and neither would my Butler Creek bbl'd 10/22!
Here is why:

Stinger on the left, note the case length difference!

The folly in suggesting what shoots best for you is astounding.

What happened to finding out for yourself, heck the time spent squirting up a few boxes of ammo is far more valuable than one can imagine.

There are no absolutes
Old 06-07-2013, 05:09 PM

same with the segmented CCI , not for every firearm . They appear to have the same case length as a stinger . I only use them in my Rossi pump
Old 06-07-2013, 05:23 PM

Just to illustrate why you can't choose for someone else's rifle.

A buddy and his Son In Law both bought matching 17HMR's the shop in Texas had a 50 yd indoor range.
They bought 4 boxes of factory ammo, 1 Federal, 1 Winchester, 1 Hornady, 1 Remington. Buddies rifle shot the Hornady and Remington ammo pretty good, while the other two offerings gave patterns not groups.
Surprise his SIL's rifle was exactly opposite, shooting the Winchester, and Federal ammo far better than the Hornady and Remington offerings.

Same make and model of rifle, 7 digits apart in the serial number, same optics. They traded back and forth shooting each others rifles, the polar opposite preference stayed put.

Now go shooting, and find out for yourself!

There are no absolutes
Old 06-07-2013, 05:24 PM

If it's a semi auto I find 1200fps and up is needed to cycle the action. And if it's a semi some dont like hallow points and some will catch. Good luck with the shooting.