Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 05-02-2008, 08:25 PM

Default What? Reloading Kit

I plan to start reloading soon and I need some info. I would like to buy a reload kit that includes all the stuff Ill need. anyone know what kit I should start out with. Ill be loading for my rifles, mostly .308 Ill also need a tumbler any one know where I can get a deal on one? any info woul be greatly appreciated.
Old 05-02-2008, 08:42 PM

The RCBS starter kit is pretty good, it will get you the basics to start, and i am pretty sure they can be had for around $400. A tumbler is not really necessary to start, unless you have a fetish for shiny brass.
Old 05-02-2008, 09:03 PM

That sounds great I have a budget of $500 to much over that and the wifes going to have my gonads!!. Alot of people talk about their tumblers I wasent sure if I need one or not.
Old 05-02-2008, 09:46 PM

I agree with 220swifty... the RCBS stuff is a really good place to start. It comes with everything that you need to get started less the dies and shell holder for each caliber you plan on reloading. There are a few other odds and ends such as calipers and a second reloading manual (to cross reference data for safety reasons) too. Their warranty / customer service is pretty tough to beat too.
Old 05-02-2008, 09:58 PM

I have a digital caliber, what reloading manual would you suggest. I cant wait to get started
Old 05-03-2008, 05:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fluxcore View Post
I have a digital caliber, what reloading manual would you suggest. I cant wait to get started

The Lyman manual is a pretty good one because it has data for the bullets of a variety of bullet makers. If you go with the RCBS kit, it comes with the Speer manual, the data of which is based all on Speer bullets. It's the same for Nosler, Hornady, etc. The Lyman manual will have data for all of these makers. I'd suggest going out to pick up a manual and start reading it over, that will really wet your whistle to get started!

Reloading is very simple once you learn the basic steps. And as a plus, you'll probably discover it to be a rewarding life long hobby. There's definitely a satisfaction you feel when you harvest an animal with a cartridge that you've developed and loaded your self.
Old 05-03-2008, 06:00 AM

Lee builds has a kit called dhe anniversery , that has everything you need except for the caliper and book.
It is likely the best deal out there.
Lee stuff gets bashed a lot becuase it isn't "high end" but that does not mean it is not decent quality stuff.
I've used there [products for years , and still do .
Give Andrew or Tom a call at Higinson's in Ontario, they are lee distributors, and will mail order out anything you want.
You can also go in with some buddies and they will put a very inexpensive 21 pound podwer order together at the same time - they are the largest selling Hodgdon/ IMR powder distributers in Canada - you will be amazed at price of a pound of powder from them, even after the shipping!

Cat
Old 05-03-2008, 08:33 PM

Flux,
My neighbour just came to me today and asked if I am interested or know anyone that would be interested in a reloading kit, he bought it several years ago ,thought he would get into reloading but he never did so it is brand new,said it was RCBS but I never personally checked it out, if you are interested I can go see it ,take a picture and get more details on it ? Let me know.
Old 05-03-2008, 09:07 PM

Cat...............What's a 21lb Keg going for ??? The way Iv'e been shooting up the Varget, Retumbo and H4350 these days I'd be into some of that .....for the right price !!
Old 05-03-2008, 10:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckySeven View Post
Cat...............What's a 21lb Keg going for ??? The way Iv'e been shooting up the Varget, Retumbo and H4350 these days I'd be into some of that .....for the right price !!
You can mix and match your powders , as long as it is a minimum of 21lbs. then they pay the haz mat .
The extreme powders and the IMR extruded powders were about $26 per pound last time I ordered some this winter, less for the ball type.
They also have brass, Hornady bullets, and the Vitivouri powders.
Google Hinginson Powders and I'm sure you will get here email/website....
Cat

Last edited by catnthehat; 05-04-2008 at 06:14 PM.
Old 05-03-2008, 11:57 PM

cat....

Are you planning on ordering any time soon? I would like to get in on a big order to help save on s & h. I would even come up to the fort to pick up.

archdlx
Old 05-04-2008, 08:27 AM

I can't seem to find a site or contact number?
Old 05-04-2008, 09:41 AM

Higginson Powders.
www.higginsonpowders.com

Gotta remember Cat has fat fingers, bad eyes, and therefore many things get mixed up or mis spelt when he types.

There are no absolutes
Old 05-04-2008, 10:43 AM

Thanks Dick! That works better.
Old 05-04-2008, 01:19 PM

Default Lyman

I just recently got into reloading and thanks to the guys on here I went with the Lyman kit. The reason I picked Lyman was it comes with a case trimmer. The RCBS kit was 390 or something like that at WSS but when you tack on another 100 for a case trimmer I think Lyman is a better deal. For 420 I was able to get the one with a digital scale which I like but for some reason the kit with the plastic balance type scale was ten bucks more???

You are also going to want a couple of loading blocks, I would recommend the MTM loading block as the first one I got was RCBS and don't like it half as much.

I have only loaded 100 rounds so far but its actually pretty easy and lots of fun. I get a kick out of drilling paper at 100 with a round I put together...man I don't know what I'll do the first time I harvest game.

Good luck
Old 05-04-2008, 05:57 PM

Default lee reloading kits

Check out www.factorysales.com and there prices, they were on sale for 80 bucks, I ordered two, shipping was fast and reasonable
Old 05-04-2008, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SakoAlberta View Post
I can't seem to find a site or contact number?
(613) 632 9300 is their direct line.
Cat