Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 04-29-2008, 09:57 AM

Default Custom rifle...

Hey guys,

Been contemplating buying a new big game rifle for a few years now, but never really took the leap. I think I'm just about ready now to get myself something I've wanted for many years. I've been doing a lot of research and came out with what I think would be a great all around rifle.

.257 Weatherby Mag.

Anybody knows where I could get this done custom in Canada?

Thanks!

Cabot.
Old 04-29-2008, 10:20 AM

If you can find a commercial maker who offers something you would be happy with that is the way to go. Weatherby and Remington are offering the 257 in several rifles this year. Dont get me wrong, I too have been down the custom road, and its nice to have one built exactly the way you want it. The problem is if you do decide to sell it down the road, you never get your money out of it, and the initial cost is usually considerably higher than most commerical rifles. So if you plan to keep it forever...go for it, if you dont, save your money and buy something factory. Thats my $0.02
Old 04-29-2008, 10:50 PM

Ok! Thanks guys.

I know where you're coming from double gun, but I can assure you that it takes me a long time and a lot of research to come to a decision, therefore, what I want is a gun that suits my needs and my taste....for a looooooooong time.

What I basically want this gun to have is a gaillard stainless barrel, probably 27" with tight chamber specs. I would like it to be based on a 98 mauser action with the bolt face trued. The stocks would probably be a Richard's microfit straightline thumbhole Imperial Laminated with a full length bedding. I'm not sure yet about having it magna ported or not. Of course, it will more than likely have a 30mm tube by Leupy, probably a 4.5 X 14 X 50 LR with Leupold mounts.

Anyway! that's what I would like to have as my all around gun. I reload, so this would be part of the rest of my reloading thingies.

Thanks for the inputs, but I still would like to hear from those who know where I could get such a rifle built?

Cabot.
Old 04-29-2008, 10:54 PM
stubblejumper

Give Rod a call at Corlane Sporting goods in Dawson Creek.All of the work that they have done for me showed good workmanship,prices were fair,and the wait times were as promised.
Old 04-30-2008, 05:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stubblejumper View Post
Give Rod a call at Corlane Sporting goods in Dawson Creek.All of the work that they have done for me showed good workmanship,prices were fair,and the wait times were as promised.
Seen some good stuff coming out oif Corlanes's.
Kkeith Cunningham from the Milcun Marksmanship complex in Ontario builds top notch sporters, as do Mick and Paul at rangeports Unlimted.
The single shot crew up here get all our Rugers and Brownings done by them.
They are super busy at the moment and are presently 2 months behind....
Cat

Last edited by catnthehat; 04-30-2008 at 10:46 PM.
Old 04-30-2008, 07:57 PM

Thank you very much stubblejumper and catnthehat,

I will call these guys and see what they can do for me.

Cheers!

Cabot.