7-10 5 2.92%
10-15 0 0%
more then 15 1 0.58%
All of my rifles are sub 1/2 MOA 2 1.17%
Voters: 171. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-17-2012, 11:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
It's nice to shoot a great group like that, the question is, how often can you repeat that group? I have shot a few sub .1" groups myself over the years, but the odds of me repeating a group like that on any given day are extremely slim, so I don't refer to the guns that I shot them with as sub .1" guns. If I can consistently shoot sub 1/2 moa with a certain gun, I call that gun a sub 1/2 moa gun, even if I do shoot the odd sub 1/4moa group with it.
The Poll is about the rifle, so you have at least 1 rifle that will shoot 1/2 moa or better, I'm thinking more than one. FS
Old 01-18-2012, 06:02 AM

Quote:
The Poll is about the rifle, so you have at least 1 rifle that will shoot 1/2 moa or better, I'm thinking more than one. FS
Six centerfires, and four rimfires(50 yards for the rimfires).
Old 01-20-2012, 01:32 AM

Default any saved targets

Elk

You're and range nut. Have you ever saved any targets from any of your Cooper rifles? FS
Old 01-20-2012, 06:53 AM

Default accuracy

Any commercial sporter BA should be able to shoot MOA or better with handloads or I dump it....I'm getting that with a Marlin 45-70!..........Harold
Old 01-20-2012, 08:44 AM

LH Tikka T3 in, 7mm-08, factory bbl
LH Rem 700 HB, syn in, 22-250, factory bbl
LH Sako AV, in 25'06, RKS bbl
LH CZ 452, in 22LR, Factory bbl
LH 93 Savage, in 17HMR, Factory bbl
LH Win Mod 70 Classic in, 270WSM, Factory bbl
M1917, S&L bbl, 308Win, Palma rifle

There are no absolutes

Last edited by Dick284; 01-20-2012 at 08:55 AM.
Old 01-20-2012, 10:27 AM

I've been following this thread for a bit, and I have to say that I firmly believe that too many people put too much emphasis on hpow tight a rifle will group, and that it is junk if it won't shoot 1/2" at 100 yards!

I have seen some treendous shootng offhand with a rifle that will shoot only 1" at 100 yards and have killed deer with a rifle that normally only shoots about 2" at 100 yards, simply because when we shoot at te range off a bench the cinditionsare different than when we are shooitng off sticks, with a sling, or shooting offhand in the filed.

To that end I have also sen some outstanding shooting by a member here in a shoot off with a rifle that i'm sure is well past 1MOA, and it was done offhand as well at 100 yards.

if a rifle does not fit me but is accurate, I can still shoot it well most times from a bench - in a field situation is completely different however.....
Cat
Old 01-20-2012, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnthehat View Post
... when we shoot at te range off a bench the cinditionsare different than when we are shooitng off sticks, with a sling, or shooting offhand in the filed.
That's a good point. Attrocious spelling, but a good point.

It's why I make a point of going to the range with my shooting sticks, taking some offhand shots, sitting, etc. It's easy when there's nobody around or even somebody else that gets it, because I have to step in front of the shooting line for some of that. It's important practice though, unless you're going to pack a picnic table around with you when hunting.
Old 01-20-2012, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky7 View Post

It's why I make a point of going to the range with my shooting sticks, taking some offhand shots, sitting, etc. It's easy when there's nobody around or even somebody else that gets it, because I have to step in front of the shooting line for some of that. It's important practice though, unless you're going to pack a picnic table around with you when hunting.
My spelling is a gift I would rather not have!!
You are right Rocky, I see countless people wanting perfection for their rifles then cannot figure out why theey miss a deer at 100 yards, or shoot a target and because they hit the center once they think things are good!

Cat
Old 01-20-2012, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky7 View Post
....atrocious even....

LC
Old 01-20-2012, 11:43 AM

Yup.
Old 01-20-2012, 11:45 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 260 Rem View Post
All are 5 shot grouips @100M (except one on left third from bottom which was shot on a day that so foggy I only shot twice before abandoning the idea). I will post some others using different bullets....this is a true sub 1/2MOA rifle.
this is the only rifle I believe so far that is a ½ MOA
Old 01-20-2012, 11:52 AM

A stock non-modified Winchester M70 Featherweight in 270, shooting handloads and about 5 minutes between shots to let the barrel cool down. Consistant under 1/2 inch at 100.

Ive only reloaded for a year but have found it can make a huge difference over factory ammo.. And the practice you get is priceless. The rest of my rifles are sub 1",, and if they arent after many many rounds,, and several $$ in modifications.. they get sold! Note to you,, you probably dont want to buy a rifle im selling.. It will be in great shape,, but might shoot patterns instead of groups!
Old 01-20-2012, 12:55 PM

Default Good Point

Quote:
I've been following this thread for a bit, and I have to say that I firmly believe that too many people put too much emphasis on hpow tight a rifle will group, and that it is junk if it won't shoot 1/2" at 100 yards!

I have seen some treendous shootng offhand with a rifle that will shoot only 1" at 100 yards and have killed deer with a rifle that normally only shoots about 2" at 100 yards, simply because when we shoot at te range off a bench the cinditionsare different than when we are shooitng off sticks, with a sling, or shooting offhand in the filed.

To that end I have also sen some outstanding shooting by a member here in a shoot off with a rifle that i'm sure is well past 1MOA, and it was done offhand as well at 100 yards.

if a rifle does not fit me but is accurate, I can still shoot it well most times from a bench - in a field situation is completely different however.....
Cat
Very Good Point. I am embarassed to admit that i miss a very nice 4 point whitetail this year at a distance of less than 50 yards, i had my scope cranked to max power from bench shooting and all i could see was fur. Pulled the trigger and missed felt like a total dufuss
Old 01-20-2012, 01:20 PM

I've come to the conclusion that most people use modiified calipers or generous tape measures when it comes to groups.

1/2" rifles are much rarer than most are willing to believe, and the fact that there seems to be so many here is fishy. I have had a few rifles that will punch out a 1/2" group every once in a while, but they are really 1-0.75" rifles at best.

Anyway, keep shooting it is all fun.....
Old 01-20-2012, 01:28 PM

I have a couple of rifles that would fall into this 1/2 moa category. However, with me pulling the trigger it's a different story! In this game it's partly the gear and proper load development but most importantly it's the guy behind the trigger.
Old 01-20-2012, 02:02 PM

Stevens .243 with new trigger and a bedding job. Burris Fullfield 2 4x12x42. First group out of the Barrel was .43.
Old 01-20-2012, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rem338win View Post
1/2" rifles are much rarer than most are willing to believe, and the fact that there seems to be so many here is fishy.
My best target is 0.16 without folding in the ragged edges. That was well within the crosshair on my hunting scope. I have another that is tweaked to shoot 1/2" or better routinely, and most often right around .25-.3". I'm working on the rest and just tore the bedding out of another that was having a hard time getting to 1 MOA. I have no doubt there's some exceptional and better shooters here.

That's not to say the same guys are good shots in the field, but that's a different matter entirely than whether you own a 1/2" rifle, isn't it?

You say you smell fish. I smell good shooters and tuned rifles. Potato....potatto.
Old 01-20-2012, 02:45 PM

My Savage 12FV in .223 is my most dependable rifle for accuracy. It shoots 1/2 moa with several types of ammo. It's not fancy, but I wouldn't trade it for anything!
Old 01-20-2012, 03:40 PM
Banned

Default Fishy?

Quote:
I've come to the conclusion that most people use modiified calipers or generous tape measures when it comes to groups.

1/2" rifles are much rarer than most are willing to believe, and the fact that there seems to be so many here is fishy. I have had a few rifles that will punch out a 1/2" group every once in a while, but they are really 1-0.75" rifles at best.

Anyway, keep shooting it is all fun.....
Are you suggesting that the targets some of have posted are measured wrong or that we have somehow faked them. I have many more sub 1/2 MOA targets that I have shot. You are welcome to bring your measuring equipment and measure them. In the meantime don't question our integrity or ability. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Integrity

Here are a few more. [IMG][/IMG] [IMG][/IMG] [IMG][/IMG]
Calhoun CZ 527, 19 Badger- Leupold VXII, 6-18X40 [IMG][/IMG] [IMG][/IMG] [IMG][/IMG]
Rem Custom LR Hunter, 6.5 Extreme - Zeiss conquest 6.5-20x50. 100 yard, 400 and 500 meter targets. [IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

Rem Model 7 - 7mm SAUM, Burris Fulfield [IMG][/IMG] [IMG][/IMG]
Old 01-20-2012, 04:00 PM
Banned

Quote:

Cat
This thread was about 1/2 MOA rifles. I really don't think that there have been many 1/2 MOA groups shot off hand at any range. You seem to suggest that people and rifles that shoot well at the bench cannot shoot well off hand. I don't profess to be an off hand shooter as I never really worked that hard at that dicipline which takes a lot of practice and strong muscles. I no longer have the strong musles but did at one time.

I do know that rifles that shoot sub 1/2 MOA off the bench will shoot as good off hand than one that shoots 1 MOA off the bench. Here is a 5 shot off hand group that I shot with the load above it. Stock Rem 700 V, 7mm08, Redfield 4-12x40 AO, Factory Remingtion 120 HP.
[IMG][/IMG]
Old 01-20-2012, 04:03 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by lclund1946 View Post
Are you suggesting that the targets some of have posted are measured wrong or that we have somehow faked them. I have many more sub 1/2 MOA targets that I have shot. You are welcome to bring your measuring equipment and measure them. In the meantime don't question our integrity or ability. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Integrity

Here are a few more. [IMG][/IMG] [IMG][/IMG] [IMG][/IMG]
Calhoun CZ 527, 19 Badger- Leupold VXII, 6-18X40 [IMG][/IMG] [IMG][/IMG] [IMG][/IMG]
Rem Custom LR Hunter, 6.5 Extreme - Zeiss conquest 6.5-20x50. 100 yard, 400 and 500 meter targets. [IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

Rem Model 7 - 7mm SAUM, Burris Fulfield [IMG][/IMG] [IMG][/IMG]
First off nice groups!
I have a pile of nice groups I have shot as well they don’t mean too much. Like I have said I don’t have any rifles I would bet a hundred dollar bill that I could shoot ½ MOA any time I like. Not that I am calling you a lair but 1 or two groups don’t impress me much
Old 01-20-2012, 04:07 PM

I didn't suggest that everybody is a lousy offhand shot at all, in fact I said that i have seen some tremendous offhand shooting done by some of our members , and tat you do not need a 1/2MOA rifle to do it.
I AM saying that many hunters put too much emphasis on the rifle's accuracy and not thir own.
Cat
Old 01-20-2012, 04:08 PM

I think the intent of the thread was to prove the "rifle" was a 1/2 moa shooter....not the shooter being a 1/2 moa shot.....I don't thnk such a shooter eixsts but I would love to be proven wrong.

I would be hard pressed to know someone who was consitently a 2 moa...freehand shooter, but give that guy a rest, bipod or some shooting sticks and 1 moa or better is possible for sure.

In my post above the 1.312inch 3 shot group I shot @ 500 yards was shot prone off of a harris bipod and my target was signed by a witness so for someone to suggest "fishyness...." to me it smells more like jealousy

My other targets where shot using a benchmaster rest....and some collapsible milk crates....far from "hi-tech" but apparently effective. Next time I am at the range I will take some pics of my setup for you all.

LC
Old 01-20-2012, 04:19 PM

I believe I ruffled a few feathers. Well I was not calling out those that were displaying more than one picture of 1/2" groups from the same rifle. I am commenting on the incredible (say "fishy") amount of people that claim rifles and capability to shoot like this.

But don't let me get in the way of a few fishing tales!

Keep em coming, there haven't been nearly enough Stevens so far......
Old 01-20-2012, 04:26 PM

Quote:
I believe I ruffled a few feathers. Well I was not calling out those that were displaying more than one picture of 1/2" groups from the same rifle. I am commenting on the incredible (say "fishy") amount of people that claim rifles and capability to shoot like this.

But don't let me get in the way of a few fishing tales!

Keep em coming, there haven't been nearly enough Stevens so far......
No harm no foul....I was poking fun back....it is what I do

LC
Old 01-20-2012, 04:35 PM

Default The Long and Short of it

I know one thing if we was being invaded buy the Russkies back in the day they would have had some trouble hear in Alberta with the local marksmen. There are a ton of great shooters on this forum and some pretty impressive rifles.

I am noticing a Remminton trend, thought this might stir the pot a bit
Old 01-20-2012, 04:41 PM
Banned

I can hardly believe that there is not a single Thompson Center Encore in 7mm rem mag that is not under ½ MOA

Last edited by gopher; 01-20-2012 at 05:02 PM.
Old 01-20-2012, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty-Canuck View Post
I would be hard pressed to know someone who was consitently a 2 moa...freehand shooter, but give that guy a rest, bipod or some shooting sticks and 1 moa or better is possible for sure.
I personally have seen some of the members here, ( and others)
shoot better than 2MOA at 100 yards offhand with hunting rifles, and do it in a match!

As far as being consistant goes, I doubt tha any shooter will do that, depending on what you call consistant.
For 10 ,5 round groups? That would be something to se, but I'm sure it is possible....
Cat
Old 01-20-2012, 05:34 PM

Seeing some of these targets sure gets the blood stirring.

That's always my goal in building and tuning my own rifles - bugholes. When I get there, I don't measure it. I just write "bughole" next to my shooting record and I'm done. I have a load that I will replicate. I'm there on some and pecking away on others.

As far as shooters go, I've seen bullets split on the edge of an axe. I've seen partridges decapitated with a big bore rifle. I've seen the carcass of a bull moose stitched 4x behind the front shoulder before he had time to fall with a bolt action .270 and with all those holes close enough to put the fingers of one hand into each hole. Personally, I wouldn't assume my own limitations (tiny as they are ) are universal limitations.
Old 01-20-2012, 05:53 PM

The smallbore silhoette guys I'd bet will shoot 1 or 2 moa offhand. I have seen people cut playing cards in half (shooting at the thin edge) offhand, in fact I have a few of my own Ill post a pic. I have seen bullets spil on an axe too
I was at a pacific national event one time, probably 1996 or so in Washington. I went to the practice range to do some shooting with the long rifle before the match stuff started. Well, I was about 16 at the time, and this girl at about the same age happened to be there. While I was waiting for the range to go cold I watched her shoot at 25, and 50 one after the other through the same hole with a 45 cal flintlock kentucky long rifle. Yup a flint lock, she got bored of punching out the bullseye and proceeded to draw a smile face on her target, one bullet after the other at 25m in an arc all touching to make the mouth. I packed up and went back to my camp. Be carefull who you say can and cant shoot, I have certianly been schooled a few times and fed a fat helping of humble pie.