Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 12-14-2019, 09:25 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by R3illy View Post
the success rates are really low for some animals like elk. Hardly a canned hunt lol.
Compared to the provincial average 3 day hunt?
Old 12-14-2019, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurt505 View Post
Like I said, a canned hunt without the privacy. If they let less people in, there would be a higher number of mature animals taken. The fact you need to be drawn to enter the gates says it all imo.
Nope still not close . It has nothing to resemble a canned hunt whatsoever, the whole base is circled in 4 strand barbwire. That’s like saying any animal killed on private access land is a canned hunt...it’s just not the case. You haven’t been before...go sometime and see if you still feel that way.

LC
Old 12-14-2019, 09:33 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty-Canuck View Post
Nope still not close . It has nothing to resemble a canned hunt whatsoever, the whole base is circled in 4 strand barbwire. That’s like saying any animal killed on private access land is a canned hunt...it’s just not the case. You haven’t been before...go sometime and see if you still feel that way.

LC
I’m gonna take your word for it, it really is far from anything I’m interested in taking part in.
Old 12-14-2019, 09:35 AM

Quote:
I’m gonna take your word for it, it really is far from anything I’m interested in taking part in.
Fair enough...but it is not a canned hunt by any definition of canned hunt I know.

I have been 3 times, never killed anything but could have. At that point in the season I usually have a full freezer and was looking for something special, had a mule deer that would touch 200” in my sights but played it safe as he was on a firebreak, realized after I could have shot him where he was.

LC
Old 12-14-2019, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Compared to the provincial average 3 day hunt?
Sometimes when you have no idea of what you are talking about it is best not too. FYI it is a 15 day hunt for elk. Maybe stick to posting more photos of your buck as it’s been at least 12hrs

The base might be the best truck hunt in AB but it would be the worlds worse canned hunt lol
Old 12-14-2019, 10:07 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by shedcrazy View Post
Sometimes when you have no idea of what you are talking about it is best not too. FYI it is a 15 day hunt for elk. Maybe stick to posting more photos of your buck as it’s been at least 12hrs

The base might be the best truck hunt in AB but it would be the worlds worse canned hunt lol
There has been enough posts about the gong show you’re running from those that have been there, you included, for me to form my own opinion on whether it’s something I want to take part in or not. If that hurts your feelings, oh well.

Thanks for the reminder

Old 12-14-2019, 10:20 AM

Lol no hurt feeling I just won a bet 😂😂
Old 12-14-2019, 10:25 AM
Banned

Quote:
Lol no hurt feeling I just won a bet 😂😂
That’s what I do, I’m here to help!
Old 12-14-2019, 10:27 AM
Banned

Quote:
There has been enough posts about the gong show you’re running from those that have been there, you included, for me to form my own opinion on whether it’s something I want to take part in or not. If that hurts your feelings, oh well.
Interesting spin. Instead of realizing you dont know what you dont know you decide to attack a valued member of the forum who provides valuable insights we wouldnt otherwise know or hear about.
Old 12-14-2019, 10:33 AM

I’ll keep going back!! All that area to either hike or drive is well worth the price of admission.
Old 12-14-2019, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ericson View Post
I’ll keep going back!! All that area to either hike or drive is well worth the price of admission.
i agree. Priority 8applying 9 next year. Should get my group first rifle season. I really enjoyed the hunt. Saw a lot of big bull moose and a couple big mule bucks.
Old 12-14-2019, 10:40 AM
Banned

Quote:
Like I said, a canned hunt without the privacy. If they let less people in, there would be a higher number of mature animals taken. The fact you need to be drawn to enter the gates says it all imo.
Have you been? Or are you just speaking out your arse?
Old 12-14-2019, 10:44 AM
Banned

Quote:
Interesting spin. Instead of realizing you dont know what you dont know you decide to attack a valued member of the forum who provides valuable insights we wouldnt otherwise know or hear about.
Attack a valued member.... lol!

I was razzing Kris, I ended it with “I’ll take your word for it, it’s not something I’m interested in” when your valued member “attacked” (as you put it) me. So get it straight. I CLEARLY stated I’d never been there, but based on what people who have actually been there said, both good and bad, it’s clearly not something I would enjoy.

Canned hunt? Maybe that’s a bit harsh, but I’ve never been on one of those before either. Gong show? With the amount of offenses shed provided, as well as the “desk pop” last year, it definitely meets the criteria for what I consider a gong show.
Old 12-14-2019, 10:52 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie View Post
If you are capable of comprehension, flip through the pages of this thread and read what guys who have been there, shed included, have to say. Cannon ball run, people nearly getting shot, people shooting the animal you are glassing, numerous offenses, like what seems to be way above the provincial average, that’s just a few things that I’ve read on this thread that have lead to my opinion of this hunt. Obviously some people like it, sounds like it’s your cup of tea, have at er’, but don’t insult me because I don’t share your opinion, I’ve made it clear that it’s just my opinion so maybe get off the hurt feelings wagon, I’m entitled to an opinion.
Old 12-14-2019, 11:00 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.
Wink

Quote:
whoa...whoa...whoa there...far from an attack just an opinion expressed...not my type of hunt either...been there done that but hey if others enjoy carry on...I will pull my Canadian card out now....sorry if I have offended anyone

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 12-14-2019, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Whoa there.
I'm going to remain Switzerland here as I don't know Shed or Kurt, but I would say Shed started the attack with this comment; "Maybe stick to posting more photos of your buck as it’s been at least 12hrs."
Old 12-14-2019, 11:40 AM

Quote:
It's far from a canned hunt. It is a standard 4 wire farm fence around the entire base with 600 square kms inside, and the entire province outside. Animals can move freely, the hunters can't.
Well, maybe it is a canned hunt, if you're referring to the hunters being trapped. Lol
Old 12-14-2019, 11:57 AM
Banned

Quote:
I have no idea what goes on out there, I’ve never even visited that part of Alberta, that’s why I just sat back and read this thread.

I believe that if you weren’t there, your opinion is just that, an opinion. While you are welcome to your opinion, don’t think your comments or opinions are worth anymore than anyone else who wasn’t there.
Did you forget your post where you said opinions of those who weren't there dont matter? You lecturing everyone on the gong show you never attended is a bit ironic after writing that post isnt it?

All because your posting stuff on the hunt you know nothing about and getting called out on it. It's okay to admit there are things you dont know.
Old 12-14-2019, 12:44 PM
Banned

Quote:
Did you forget your post where you said opinions of those who weren't there dont matter? You lecturing everyone on the gong show you never attended is a bit ironic after writing that post isnt it?

All because your posting stuff on the hunt you know nothing about and getting called out on it. It's okay to admit there are things you dont know.
Exactly! Why are you crying over my opinion? It’s an opinion! I based it off of what’s written in this thread, it’s what I consider a gong show. I asked the question, what’s the success rate on the base vs the rest of the province???

I know I cornered you by how you’re trying to attack me..... hahaha.
Old 12-14-2019, 02:11 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie View Post
Quote:
If you are capable of comprehension, flip through the pages of this thread and read what guys who have been there, shed included, have to say. Cannon ball run, people nearly getting shot, people shooting the animal you are glassing, numerous offenses, like what seems to be way above the provincial average, that’s just a few things that I’ve read on this thread that have lead to my opinion of this hunt. Obviously some people like it, sounds like it’s your cup of tea, have at er’, but don’t insult me because I don’t share your opinion, I’ve made it clear that it’s just my opinion so maybe get off the hurt feelings wagon, I’m entitled to an opinion.
Quote:
Exactly! Why are you crying over my opinion? It’s an opinion! I based it off of what’s written in this thread, it’s what I consider a gong show. I asked the question, what’s the success rate on the base vs the rest of the province???

I know I cornered you by how you’re trying to attack me..... hahaha.
My only issue is how you called it a "Canned Hunt" Think what you want about the whole thing but you have never been more wrong about anything by calling it a "CANNED HUNT" Actually, it is such a ridiculous and stupid comment that anything you said after words was considered to be pure crap.
Old 12-14-2019, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Lol! There is no way I’d take part in such a gong show. There is a reason I set my stands up off the beaten trail, I find the best part about hunting to be the tranquility you get, the time you get to reflect, relax, enjoy nature without the influence of man. It’s basically a canned hunt, no different than hunting a game farm except the game farms will give you more privacy from the sounds of it.
I think you would like it.
Been a few times. Would go again in a heartbeat, especially for moose. Knuckleheads are rare and dealt with immediately unlike most of the rest of the province. Many, many more good folks just enjoying the experience and the base folks, including shed, are first class.

That said, the more people that bash it the better. Lower draw wait times for me.

Last edited by Flatlandliver; 12-14-2019 at 02:48 PM.
Old 12-14-2019, 04:03 PM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flatlandliver View Post
I think you would like it.
Been a few times. Would go again in a heartbeat, especially for moose. Knuckleheads are rare and dealt with immediately unlike most of the rest of the province. Many, many more good folks just enjoying the experience and the base folks, including shed, are first class.

That said, the more people that bash it the better. Lower draw wait times for me.
ok but he mentioned not his cup of tea.....

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 12-14-2019, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 58thecat View Post
ok but he mentioned not his cup of tea.....
He has never been on the base and is relying on feedback for his opinion. It’s just my feedback from having been there. I couldn’t possibly care less if he or anyone else chooses not to hunt there
Old 12-14-2019, 07:50 PM

2019 Totals

Deer: 283
Elk: 15
Moose: 92

Best buck taken was the one I managed on a once in a lifetime staff landowner tag. Official score after the panel scores him as several points are tricky to score. Picture doesn’t do him justice!!

Old 12-14-2019, 08:02 PM

Attended the hunt (second rifle) for the first time this year and thought it was pretty well run. I decided from the get go I'd just hang out in the annex and didn't run into any one else walking until the third day. The deer weren't spending much time in the open but they were definitely there in numbers in certain areas. Didn't end up folding a tag on anything but the opportunities were there for someone maybe a little quicker on the draw than I am lol.

Everyone seemed pretty friendly, guy running the morning briefings (Kim iirc?) delivered with a military tone and had some pretty funny lines. Pretty laid back atmosphere considering it's on a military base.

You can rush out to the trucks and "pin er" if you want but no one is forcing you to. Lots of room out there it seems but with that said I don't even know what the west side is like as I never spent any time there.

Only thing that would be nice is if there was an earlier briefing. It takes a bit to get out to the further reaches of the base especially if your stuck behing someone "road hunting" there way out to there parking spot in the annex.
Old 12-14-2019, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Lol! There is no way I’d take part in such a gong show. There is a reason I set my stands up off the beaten trail, I find the best part about hunting to be the tranquility you get, the time you get to reflect, relax, enjoy nature without the influence of man. It’s basically a canned hunt, no different than hunting a game farm except the game farms will give you more privacy from the sounds of it.
This post gets my vote for the most Asinine post of the year. If Camp Wainwright is a canned hunt, so is any other hunt with a standard barbed wire fence around it.
Old 12-14-2019, 08:46 PM
Banned

Quote:
2019 Totals

Deer: 283
Elk: 15
Moose: 92

Best buck taken was the one I managed on a once in a lifetime staff landowner tag. Official score after the panel scores him as several points are tricky to score. Picture doesn’t do him justice!!

Haha. Your hilarious! Thanks for jumping into the thread randomly. In regards to the elk I'm assuming those numbers will include the ones that were confiscated?

Mostly curious when comparing previous years numbers.
Old 12-14-2019, 09:05 PM

Default Canned hunt...?

Quote:
That is likely the most inaccurate comment I’ve seen on this forum. You should have stuck to your guns when you said “I have no idea what goes on out there, I’ve never even visited that part of Alberta, that’s why I just sat back and read this thread.”

Nothing canned about the CFB Wainwright hunt- Deer, moose, or elk. If you have experienced it, you would understand.

I was there this year for the PW hunt and have hunted it 4-5 times previously. There is nothing canned about about that hunt, and if people are so inclined, it’s not hard to hunt without being “bothered” by others. Or, you can use the others in the area to your advantage and put yourself in a good position to have animals come to you (pushed or not). I spent most of the hunt in a ground blind. I didn’t see another hunter while in the blind.

I saw 5 solid shooter MD bucks this hunt with very few moose or elk compared to last years, BUT I wasn’t hunting hunting them. I should have had two great bucks this hunt, but luck wasn’t on my side. I have no one to blame but myself.

That hunt is a great bonus hunt in cool country, at the end of a long season. It is extraordinarily well run and we are lucky to have access to it. I will say that in the briefings, there appeared to be more people than I’ve seen in any previous hunts. That said, after the shotgun start and cannonball run, the vehicles and people dissipate fast and there is lots of country to hunt on your own.
Old 12-14-2019, 09:11 PM

So if I’m getting this straight.....it’s not a canned hunt?
Old 12-14-2019, 09:40 PM

Quote:
Haha. Your hilarious! Thanks for jumping into the thread randomly. In regards to the elk I'm assuming those numbers will include the ones that were confiscated?

Mostly curious when comparing previous years numbers.
Yes, that includes the 5 Xmas hamper elk.

Only other stats i looked at was 15 elk hunters never showed and less than 50% turnout for deer this week. Low of 53 out of 150 today came out to hunt. Each deer hunter would have had 6km2
Closed Thread