Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 12-12-2019, 04:47 PM

My wife’s calf moose this year froze solid overnight hanging on the tractor in the unheated shop. I was worried it might be tough. Had steak last night and it’s just fine.
Old 12-12-2019, 05:14 PM

Default Cold Shortening

Quote:
Originally Posted by wind drift View Post
What he said. Every hunter should understand cold-shortening, how it’s caused and how to avoid, mitigate and reverse the effects. For myself, it’s sometimes meant that I avoid taking the hide off and exposing meat to quite cold air when field dressing and hauling out. Generally that’s not doable with large critters killed in November or later though, necessitating longer hanging / ageing times.
Got this from - Ageing Big Game --- it does not explain how to reverse if you think this has happened. I believe this is what occurred with a moose I shot a few years back in the - 30's as I took the hide off right away which I now know was a mistake. So how do you reverse cold shortening if you keep the hanging temp around 34F --- just hang it longer?

Aging Game Shot in Cold Weather
Game carcasses under 100 pounds often chill rapidly if the temperature is below freezing at the time of slaughter.
Muscle contraction or rigor mortis hardens the muscle to a greater extent than if the temperature is above freezing. Very rapid chilling and hardening causes meat to be tough. This condition is known as cold shortening; it will occur if the internal muscle temperature drops to 32ºF within 12 hours after the kill. Leaving the hide on will help prevent cold shortening and also help to keep the carcass from freezing.
Carcasses which undergo cold shortening should be aged at 34ºF. If the carcass is frozen while hanging, little additional tenderization will occur because enzyme action is very slow at freezing temperatures. Frozen carcasses should be thawed and maintained at 34ºF. Alternate periods of freezing and thawing should be avoided because these temperature variations lower meat quality.

Recommended Aging Times
Antelope carcasses shold be cut and wrapped for the freezer within 3 days after the kill. This short aging period helps prevent the "liver-like" or "mushy" texture often found in antelope meat.
Deer, sheep, goat, cow elk and cow moose carcasses should be cut approximately 7 days after the kill. If they have been held at higher temperatures (above 40ºF) the meat should be cut before 7 days of aging are completed.
Under ideal conditions bull elk and moose carcasses should be cut after a 14-day aging period at 34º to 37ºF. However, these carcasses are seldom handled under ideal conditions. Slow chilled carcasses and carcasses that have been in camp for a few days require less aging.
The preceeding recommended aging periods are sufficient for tenderness and flavor development in most game carcasses. These aging periods are not needed if game carcasses are to be ground, cured or made into sausage. In addition, most meat recipes utilize moist heat cooking methods which tenderize the meat and shorten the needed aging period.
Do not age any game carcass if it was shot during warm weather and not chilled rapidly, if the animal was severly stressed prior to the kill, if gunshot areas are extensive, or if the animal was under 1-year of age. Aging has already occurred if the carcass has been in camp for 1-week in relatively warm weather. No further aging is recommended.
Aging periods longer than those recommended are often accompanied by extensive bacaterial growth on the game carcasses and by drying and discoloration of the meat. Reducing the aging period reduces bacterial growth on the carcass. At present there does not appear to be any evidence that there is a helath risk in eating properly cooked game meat. Nevertheless, adequate precautions with regard to aging time and aging temperature should be followed.
Old 12-12-2019, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2 Tollers View Post
Got this from - Ageing Big Game --- it does not explain how to reverse if you think this has happened. I believe this is what occurred with a moose I shot a few years back in the - 30's as I took the hide off right away which I now know was a mistake. So how do you reverse cold shortening if you keep the hanging temp around 34F --- just hang it longer?

Aging Game Shot in Cold Weather
Game carcasses under 100 pounds often chill rapidly if the temperature is below freezing at the time of slaughter.
Muscle contraction or rigor mortis hardens the muscle to a greater extent than if the temperature is above freezing. Very rapid chilling and hardening causes meat to be tough. This condition is known as cold shortening; it will occur if the internal muscle temperature drops to 32ºF within 12 hours after the kill. Leaving the hide on will help prevent cold shortening and also help to keep the carcass from freezing.
Carcasses which undergo cold shortening should be aged at 34ºF. If the carcass is frozen while hanging, little additional tenderization will occur because enzyme action is very slow at freezing temperatures. Frozen carcasses should be thawed and maintained at 34ºF. Alternate periods of freezing and thawing should be avoided because these temperature variations lower meat quality.

Recommended Aging Times
Antelope carcasses shold be cut and wrapped for the freezer within 3 days after the kill. This short aging period helps prevent the "liver-like" or "mushy" texture often found in antelope meat.
Deer, sheep, goat, cow elk and cow moose carcasses should be cut approximately 7 days after the kill. If they have been held at higher temperatures (above 40ºF) the meat should be cut before 7 days of aging are completed.
Under ideal conditions bull elk and moose carcasses should be cut after a 14-day aging period at 34º to 37ºF. However, these carcasses are seldom handled under ideal conditions. Slow chilled carcasses and carcasses that have been in camp for a few days require less aging.
The preceeding recommended aging periods are sufficient for tenderness and flavor development in most game carcasses. These aging periods are not needed if game carcasses are to be ground, cured or made into sausage. In addition, most meat recipes utilize moist heat cooking methods which tenderize the meat and shorten the needed aging period.
Do not age any game carcass if it was shot during warm weather and not chilled rapidly, if the animal was severly stressed prior to the kill, if gunshot areas are extensive, or if the animal was under 1-year of age. Aging has already occurred if the carcass has been in camp for 1-week in relatively warm weather. No further aging is recommended.
Aging periods longer than those recommended are often accompanied by extensive bacaterial growth on the game carcasses and by drying and discoloration of the meat. Reducing the aging period reduces bacterial growth on the carcass. At present there does not appear to be any evidence that there is a helath risk in eating properly cooked game meat. Nevertheless, adequate precautions with regard to aging time and aging temperature should be followed.
This follows with our usual practices but we have hung bull moose and elk for 17-20 days with minimal loss and never had a bad result. We obviously gut right after the grip and grins, and if possible extract animal whole/or halved to minimize chance of dirt contamination, that’s if it’s reachable with an ATV/tub trailer. Get it home and skin it on the hoist then straight into the walk in.

LC
Old 12-12-2019, 05:32 PM

LC - A few years back I had to take a cow moose out by pack frame and into the back of my truck. It was very cold and the quarters froze overnight -- hard as rock by the time I got home. I hung this in the garage at 35 F for 9 days. Worst moose we every had. Very tough.

I think this animal cold shortened as I skinned it in the cold, deboned part and packed it out. Some pieces were frozen on the pack out.

How does a person reverse the process? Thaw the carcass and elevate the carcass temp to ?? then hang it at the elevated temp or bring it back down to the 35 F range?
Old 12-12-2019, 05:36 PM

Honestly I’m not sure I don’t recall having been in a similar situation. We have had 1-2 tough moose an old 54” and one was a young bull. When we were cutting the young one we found a bunch of bird shot in one of his hinds. We think he was a garden raider and someone shot him to get him away. Good taste but tough as all heck.

LC

Last edited by Lefty-Canuck; 12-12-2019 at 05:48 PM.
Old 12-12-2019, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntinstuff View Post
He probably shot it with something other than a 30-06

THAT will always result in tough meat
Why you perpetuating such damnable lies???
Old 12-12-2019, 05:47 PM

Two words- Crock Pot!
Fixes every non 30’06 killed critter for me!
Cat
Old 12-12-2019, 05:52 PM

Default In the Yukon

We ate the backstrap out of a 55" rutting bull moose the same day I shot him and it was the most tender moose cut I've ever eaten to date.I have shot a dozen or more moose and always cut them up within 3 day of their demise never a tough animal.A moose or elk in even -20F can sour with the hide left on it for any length of time.
Old 12-12-2019, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sns2 View Post
why you perpetuating such damnable lies???
😈😈😈😈
Old 12-12-2019, 06:21 PM

Pack it in jars and pressure cook it. Good eats.

BW
Old 12-12-2019, 06:37 PM

Get an Insta Pot. Solved our problem with a tough eating elk we got last year. If the carcass is allowed to freeze before rigor mortis sets in then the meat can be tough to eat.
Old 12-12-2019, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LKILR View Post
Get an Insta Pot. Solved our problem with a tough eating elk we got last year. If the carcass is allowed to freeze before rigor mortis sets in then the meat can be tough to eat.
I don't understand this^^^ decomposition is decomposition. Meat tenderizes during that process. I have had many ungulates freeze upon skinning and voila! 2 weeks thawed on the hook, presto! Beautiful, tender meat!

Another couple random thoughts:
3 days is not sufficient. it takes 48 hrs for Rigor Mortis to come out of the meat, much less decompose and "age". I have a friend who butchers his meat right away after shooting. No wonder his wife wont eat deer!

Beef they age 28 days before you chomp into it at the Keg. There's a reason for it folks. I feel there are a few people missing out on just how incredibly good wild game can be. It really does boil down to handling.
Old 12-12-2019, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildwoods View Post
I don't understand this^^^ decomposition is decomposition. Meat tenderizes during that process. I have had many ungulates freeze upon skinning and voila! 2 weeks thawed on the hook, presto! Beautiful, tender meat!

Another couple random thoughts:
3 days is not sufficient. it takes 48 hrs for Rigor Mortis to come out of the meat, much less decompose and "age". I have a friend who butchers his meat right away after shooting. No wonder his wife wont eat deer!

Beef they age 28 days before you chomp into it at the Keg. There's a reason for it folks. I feel there are a few people missing out on just how incredibly good wild game can be. It really does boil down to handling.
You are 💯 correct. I hang my cut and wrap critters for 2-3 weeks under the right circumstances and conditions
Old 12-12-2019, 07:14 PM

Did you cut it yourself? Heard stories of young dry cows being swapped for old milk cow...or horse...or some giant rutted out old bull.
Old 12-12-2019, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhino81 View Post
A friend of mine started getting all his elk and moose steak tenderized at the butcher. Said it was the best thing he ever did. I’m going to try it this year with my moose
You can buy a cuber . They work pretty good , i use mine quite a bit for the tougher cuts
Old 12-12-2019, 07:45 PM

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by LongRangebugler View Post
Has anyone ever had experience with harvesting a moose and everything being tough and chewy ? I mean this was a small cow shot in farmland area basically grain fed ... but I mean the tenderloins and backstraps have been like bootleather lol it’s just weird first time ever for me . The cow was young ... I don’t know.
Yup!

Took a medium size cow last year from Millerville farmland... one shot quick kill... nov 11 (-2 - -5) weather.

Only had it out a day or so before taking it to the butcher.

Roasts are tough.. ground is good though
Old 12-12-2019, 07:55 PM

https://www.amazon.ca/Weston-Prago-M...58&sr=8-1&th=1
Old 12-12-2019, 09:21 PM

Well first I’ll tell some info on the kill ...I shot her on November 1st it was a mild day around 1 degree out , at 100 yards broadside with a 7mm Rem mag with Barnes 150 tsx coming in from a grain field, I knew I made a perfect heart/lung shot, but she started to trot toward a coulle with lots of bush and in a panic I took another running shot (because I didn’t want to drag a cow moose out of a valley) lol I hit her again but it was a little far back and she folded . Cut the tenderloins and backstrap out in the field and took the rest to the butchers .

So maybe the meat was tense from when the cow was running after the first shot ? It was a young cow only dressed out the four quarters at 250 pounds . I don’t Know maybe I’ll try canning the backstraps . Whatever .
Old 12-12-2019, 09:53 PM

Lol all my wild game was tough til I learned to pull it at 145F-155F if you are not ok with the a bit of blood juice then sous vide at 145 for a few hours or whatever they suggest then char. I bought a Therma Pen and it changed my world I don’t cook without it. Most important hunting tool I have lol
Old 12-12-2019, 10:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ganderblaster View Post
Lol all my wild game was tough til I learned to pull it at 145F-155F if you are not ok with the a bit of blood juice then sous vide at 145 for a few hours or whatever they suggest then char. I bought a Therma Pen and it changed my world I don’t cook without it. Most important hunting tool I have lol
Stick an old boot in a sous vide overnight and you can cut it with a fork.
It’s a game changer for cheap cuts or tough game.
Old 12-12-2019, 10:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pioneer2 View Post
We ate the backstrap out of a 55" rutting bull moose the same day I shot him and it was the most tender moose cut I've ever eaten to date.I have shot a dozen or more moose and always cut them up within 3 day of their demise never a tough animal.A moose or elk in even -20F can sour with the hide left on it for any length of time.
Exactly. This thread is going way too far. Most important is get the guts out, the hide off and quarters apart and hanging so it cools, not worrying about whether it’ll be “tough” or not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty-Canuck View Post
This follows with our usual practices but we have hung bull moose and elk for 17-20 days with minimal loss and never had a bad result. We obviously gut right after the grip and grins, and if possible extract animal whole/or halved to minimize chance of dirt contamination, that’s if it’s reachable with an ATV/tub trailer. Get it home and skin it on the hoist then straight into the walk in.

LC
You should really post a timeline with that statement. I realize you probably know what you’re doing but others won’t. Leaving moose or elk intact with hide on is just about the worst advice out there, can get bone sour within hours.
Old 12-13-2019, 06:05 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

6-284....ages the meat just fine....the vapour trail induces moisture...

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 12-13-2019, 06:40 AM

Default Like a

Meat syringe?
Old 12-13-2019, 07:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pioneer2 View Post
This is a direct quote from that article:

"The world around me disappeared. I caressed the trigger with my index finger, knowing that a scant two pounds of pressure would cause it to unleash the firing pin and set in motion a series of events that would be catastrophic for one of us." - T.J Schwanky
Old 12-13-2019, 09:51 AM

A moose or elk dropped with one shot in his bed will always be most tender. If he runs the adrenalin kicks in and toughens the meat. Meat can be tenderized for upto 21 days, however slows down after about 15 days. PS if you want a tender moose shoot a 2 year old.
Old 12-13-2019, 10:46 AM

Default Don't really care

What others do or don't do with their meat.Nobody can have an opinion here as all people wish to do is argue.Petty bickering at best.Never had a tough animal in my 50 year hunting career so why change now?My moose are all processed by myself within 3 days so they don't dry out requiring excessive trimming.If they freeze solid time can be extended as nothing will spoil.This fall we had enough animals down by 10am opening day we quit hunting for two weeks to cut /can and make sausages.My grinder never met a moose it couldn't chew.
Old 12-13-2019, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3blade View Post
Did you wait until rigor mortis had resolved before cutting? You should be able to move the joints of the legs. That is the most important step of aging meat. Anyway, there’s plenty of solutions:

Wet age: let a serving sit in the fridge in a vac-sealed package (yes it has to be vac sealed, not wrapped or bagged) for a week before eating. My preferred technique as I can’t stand the waste of dry aging.

Freezer age: let it sit in the freezer for at least a year, more if possible. The aging process (lysosomes breaking down muscle tissue) continues at a very slow pace

Slow cook, pressure cook, braise, double grind and make sausage, cut cross grain and make jerky. You might have to give up the idea of a rare steak for this animal but once you get into it there are many more interesting preparations anyway.
Spot on accurate, as is the suggestion to wet age it in the fridge.
Old 12-13-2019, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3blade View Post
Exactly. This thread is going way too far. Most important is get the guts out, the hide off and quarters apart and hanging so it cools, not worrying about whether it’ll be “tough” or not.

You should really post a timeline with that statement. I realize you probably know what you’re doing but others won’t. Leaving moose or elk intact with hide on is just about the worst advice out there, can get bone sour within hours.
Never had a bone sour in anything we recovered same day, once a mule deer we lost the inside round because of the position it died in (was left overnight), rest was fine. Usually hunt within 3 1/2-4 hours of home, upon recovery the guts are out within 30 mins tops, includes the grip and grins. Then we just work as quickly as possible to get it home and hoisted and skinned, usually within 6-7 hrs of death. Then straight into a walkin and there it stays for 15-20 days. Completely controlled environment. Having the equipment and means to do this is everything though, realizing not everyone does many can’t get things hanging as quickly as we usually do. Getting the guts out and the chest opened up is important.

LC
Old 12-13-2019, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LongRangebugler View Post
Well first I’ll tell some info on the kill ...I shot her on November 1st it was a mild day around 1 degree out , at 100 yards broadside with a 7mm Rem mag with Barnes 150 tsx coming in from a grain field, I knew I made a perfect heart/lung shot, but she started to trot toward a coulle with lots of bush and in a panic I took another running shot (because I didn’t want to drag a cow moose out of a valley) lol I hit her again but it was a little far back and she folded . Cut the tenderloins and backstrap out in the field and took the rest to the butchers .

So maybe the meat was tense from when the cow was running after the first shot ? It was a young cow only dressed out the four quarters at 250 pounds . I don’t Know maybe I’ll try canning the backstraps . Whatever .
You didn't answer whether or not the meat was aged....

I've had tough old animals, even when aged.
But the aging made the meat Much more tender than without.
Never had a tough young animal after aging.

"to identify very rare, scarce or special forms of fish and wildlife outdoor recreation opportunities and to ensure that access to these opportunities continues to be available to all Albertans."
Old 12-14-2019, 02:02 PM

Aging MAY help, but is definitely not the be all end all. I have aged moose anywhere from 1-8 days and they have all been very tender. A good friend aged his 4.5year old bull for 2 weeks and it was like rubber. That bull had a cracked skull and may have been stressed quite a bit from the previous months rut. My big bull I shot this year was rutting hard, shot first week of October and he had 8 cows with him. I hung him for 6 days and he has been great so far. We pushed my dads bull through a series of brush before he ended up shooting him after about a 3 mile run. He was tender as can be after 7 days.

You may have just got a tough one. It happens, even with young bulls sometimes.